Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Allies Preview 5: More Cards  (Read 14366 times)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
Allies Preview 5: More Cards
« on: March 04, 2022, 03:00:08 am »
+18

There are no more themes, but lots more cards. The set has 400 cards total, with 6 split piles, 25 regular kingdom card piles, and 23 Allies. 25*11+6*17+23 = 400, and now you know that the only Victory cards are in split piles. So anyway, here are some more cards.

Importer means, you start with 5 Favors, but can't get any more (unless there's another Liaison in the game, obv.). And it gains $5's, slowly. Courier is the Peddler version of Mountain Village, and discards a card to help itself out. Royal Galley plays a card both this turn and next turn; it makes anything else into a Duration.

And two more Allies for good measure. Family of Inventors lowers costs for everyone; fooshing may occur. Gang of Pickpockets is that rare thing, the game attacking the players. You can keep them at bay, or just give in.

Cards will stay playable at https://dominion.games/ over the weekend. Then they will be gone until... Wednesday, when they'll be available both there and in the Temple Gates Games version on Steam. We expect the physical version to follow at around the same time, but this is much harder to nail down, it depends on lots of different trucks and where you live and stuff. It will be around then though.

And I'll return with Seaside 2E previews around... late April? It's a little hard to pin down just yet.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
Re: Allies Preview 5: More Cards
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2022, 03:18:21 am »
+3

I guess Royal Galley setting aside the card means the set-aside card no longer counts for things like Horn of Plenty and Peddler, but it does count for cards like Conspirator.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2022, 03:24:59 am »
+9

>inb4 someone is going to confuse Courier and Courtier
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Sade

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +39
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2022, 03:29:17 am »
+17

If the Gang of Pickpockets is your ally, I'd hate to see your enemies.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2022, 03:36:22 am »
+7

Man, I remember when Royal Galley was an outtake from Seaside that was "just so awful". Who knew that all it'd take to make it non-awful was a +1 Card?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2022, 06:24:37 am »

Isn't Royal Galley just going to be bonkers strong? Looks stronger to me than throne room and probably stronger than any throne room variant for 4$. (Edge case: ghost, whose cost is literally 4$ but not 4$ in any other way.)

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2022, 06:30:09 am »
+1

I have just encountered the possibly worst combo of the set: Student + Importer + City-state. More first-player advantage than you'll ever need.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Hockey Mask

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2022, 06:59:45 am »
+2

The artwork for Gang of Pickpockets is…interesting.
-The Compulsive Completist

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2022, 07:17:27 am »
+1

Isn't Royal Galley just going to be bonkers strong? Looks stronger to me than throne room and probably stronger than any throne room variant for 4$. (Edge case: ghost, whose cost is literally 4$ but not 4$ in any other way.)
The Duration aspect is significant and I don't see that Royal Galley is automatically better or worse than Throne Room. For example, if I can draw my entire deck, I certainly prefer TR by a huge margin. If there are good Durations, I certainly prefer to be able to throne them.
Also, you can play Throne Room on Throne Room, but the same doesn't work with Royal Galleys.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2022, 07:30:45 am »
+1

I was wondering, why does Royal Galley need "if you did," now that we have rule saying that a card can't be played if it's lost track of?

Royal Galley seems to be a Throne Room variant, rules-wise: it plays a card several times. There are two rules for TR variants:

When you play a Duration, leave the TR in play in Clean-up if the Duration is still in play. Doesn't matter here, since Royal Galley can't play Durations.

You can play the card twice, even if the TR loses track of it. (According to the new rule.) It seems this would be possible if Royal Galley didn't have the "if you did" clause. So that must be the answer.

theNarwhal

• Pawn
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2022, 07:32:29 am »
+2

Jarring, especially next to Family of Inventors.

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2022, 09:41:04 am »
+2

Family of Inventors seems like it would be a bit of a gamble, since it benefits your opponent just as much as yourself. That's one that's gonna be really tricky to play!

Importer would be interesting with League of Bankers, giving everyone +$1 every turn from the start, even if there's no other liaisons. In games with that combo, instead of 2/5 and 3/4 openings you'd have 3/6 and 4/5 openings!
They/them

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2022, 09:46:11 am »
+4

Our Gang of Pickpockets

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2022, 09:50:43 am »
+2

>inb4 someone is going to confuse Courier and Courtier

Hey, Harbinger used to be called "Courier", and I argued against "Courier" and "Courtier" being released simultaneously. But there was bound to be a Courier eventually. Only so many words in English.

Ingix

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Ingix
  • Respect: +424
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2022, 09:58:08 am »
+3

I was wondering, why does Royal Galley need "if you did," now that we have rule saying that a card can't be played if it's lost track of?
Royal Galley seems to be a Throne Room variant, rules-wise: it plays a card several times. There are two rules for TR variants:
When you play a Duration, leave the TR in play in Clean-up if the Duration is still in play. Doesn't matter here, since Royal Galley can't play Durations.
You can play the card twice, even if the TR loses track of it. (According to the new rule.) It seems this would be possible if Royal Galley didn't have the "if you did" clause. So that must be the answer.

Correct. Contrary to "usual" Throne Room variants, we want Royal Galley to play the card a second time only if it's where it is supposed to be. Since there don't exist cards that could move the played card after it was set aside, the check after that move is sufficient for that.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2022, 10:33:17 am »

The Duration aspect is significant and I don't see that Royal Galley is automatically better or worse than Throne Room. For example, if I can draw my entire deck, I certainly prefer TR by a huge margin. If there are good Durations, I certainly prefer to be able to throne them.

it's definitely not anywhere near automatically or strictly better, but one card is the difference between a useless cantrip and a lab. Extreme cases aside, the general powerlevel seems extremely high.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2022, 10:55:04 am »

I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Erick648

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +628
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2022, 10:59:06 am »
+1

it's definitely not anywhere near automatically or strictly better, but one card is the difference between a useless cantrip and a lab. Extreme cases aside, the general powerlevel seems extremely high.
Caravan is a Cantrip this turn and a Lab next turn, and is balanced at 4.  Royal Galley is a Cantrip this turn and a Lost City next turn that has a Scheme effect, but prevents you from playing a Duration after it and forces you to use the Scheme effect on the next Action card you play and make that Action card the first card you play next turn (not counting any other start-of-turn plays).  Do the restrictions roughly balance out the extra Action and Scheme effect and keep it balanced at 4?  Probably, but I guess we’ll find out.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 11:00:42 am by Erick648 »
Duplicate duplicates Duplicates duplicate Duplicates duplicate.

Rene Descartes taught me to believe in myself.

How much Loot could a Looter loot if a Looter could loot Loot?

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2022, 11:03:09 am »
+4

Favors are using the coin tokens, right? How does tracking work with Family of Inventors and Trade Route?

Edit: I forgot how Trade Route works. It's been a while with that card.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 11:29:38 am by J Reggie »

m_knox

• Steward
  • Respect: +33
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2022, 11:07:40 am »

Consider Embargo, Madman, Horse. There may be other cards that cannot be set aside (by Royal Galley) after they are played, because they move themselves.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2022, 11:13:13 am »
+3

Favors are using the coin tokens, right? How does tracking work with Family of Inventors and Trade Route?

"non-Victory supply pile" covers it.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

BBobb

• Moneylender
  • My brother says thief is amazing.
  • Respect: +138
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2022, 11:14:03 am »
+1

Family of inventors can only be placed on non-victory and trade route only on victory, so you can't get confused

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2022, 11:29:00 am »

I don't understand the power level of Importer; isn't it just way too good? Vampire is already a very good $5-card gainer (and yeah, it's non-terminal and does other good things), but it costs $5 itself, not $3. At the very least Importer is strictly way better than Feast, right? Feast trashes itself as a penalty, and costs more. Importer can be used again and again, and you can buy it before the first shuffle.

dpm

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2022, 11:29:44 am »
+4

Are the favor tokens removed before scoring, or can the Family of Inventors cause more cards to cost 2 for Plateau Shepherds?  (I hope it's the latter, that would be pretty bonkers.)

Edit: Never mind, I forgot you can't have more than one Ally.  If you could, though...
« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 11:30:49 am by dpm »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2022, 11:32:51 am »
+1

Caravan is a Cantrip this turn and a Lab next turn, and is balanced at 4.  Royal Galley is a Cantrip this turn and a Lost City next turn that has a Scheme effect, but prevents you from playing a Duration after it and forces you to use the Scheme effect on the next Action card you play and make that Action card the first card you play next turn (not counting any other start-of-turn plays).  Do the restrictions roughly balance out the extra Action and Scheme effect and keep it balanced at 4?  Probably, but I guess we’ll find out.

to be clear I do not expect it to a problem. Balance is thrown around a lot and not super applicable to this game. This is a support card, and it can't go foom like throne room. I envision it to be more like a card you almost always see used, like Spice Merchant, but doesn't feel crazy
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 21 queries.