Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Fan Card Mechanics Week 30: Scrapbook  (Read 2560 times)

arowdok

• Spy
  • Respect: +129
    • View Profile
Fan Card Mechanics Week 30: Scrapbook
« on: March 02, 2022, 09:00:16 pm »
+6

This week I wanted to explore the design space of Heirlooms that are linked to Landscape cards. So your task is to design a Landscape card (Event, project etc.) and an Heirloom pair; Existing Landscapes and Heirlooms are allowed (but you must design at least half of the pair). You are allowed the full range of official Dominion mechanics Current, New(Allies, etc.), and Fan-made mechanics, if you use a Fan-made one please include a link or text explanation of the rules. This includes landscapes that are not official dominion such as Edicts, Acts, or anything sideways.

Example pairs:
You may make a custom Heirloom linked to a custom Landscape
or
You may make a custom Landscape linked to an official Heirloom
or
You may make a custom Heirloom linked to an official Landscape
or
You may make a custom(yours) Heirloom linked to a fanmade Landscape (by another person, please cite/link the original)l. As long as that Landscape was NOT a submission by another person in this contest.
or
You may make a custom(yours) Landscape linked to a fanmade Heirloom (by another person, please cite/link the original)l. As long as that Heirloom was NOT a submission by another person in this contest.

You may NOT combine both an official Heirloom and official landscape. (Such as Goat + Donate )

The deadline for submissions is Wednesday, March 9, 2022 at 11:00 p.m. Eastern (Forum) time / 4:00 UCT.

Edit: You may use a Heritage card instead of an Heirloom for the contest, but still must be paired with a Landscape card.
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=20967.msg882987#msg882987
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 11:27:04 am by arowdok »

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
Re: Fan Card Mechanics Week 30: Scrapbook
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2022, 10:34:06 pm »
+1

Great contest idea! One note:

Last week's contest was Week 29, so this should be Week 30. If you click Modify at the top of the post, you can edit the Subject line (at the top of the editor) which will change the name both here and on the outside list.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2022, 11:20:30 pm »
+1

Bellmaker • Edict
Heirloom: Chime
When you buy a Silver, gain an additional Silver.  When you trash a Silver, +1 Card.
Chime • $2 • Treasure - Heirloom
$1
This turn, when you gain a Treasure, you may put it on top of your deck.

this is my hastily made catapult enabler.

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +476
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2022, 12:46:06 am »

Permanent Bonfire paired with the one thing that it can't get rid of. Other cards might be able to get some use out of it though.

coming up with the names for these was harder than the text on them
they/them

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2022, 01:52:35 am »
+1

Permanent Bonfire paired with the one thing that it can't get rid of. Other cards might be able to get some use out of it though.

1. Bonfire is getting Errata to not work on Duration cards. Campsite should likewise be limited to non-Durations.
2. Campsite should also say "card you have in play," like Bonfire.
3. Obsidian Ring is unclear; it can be parsed as "when you [trash this] or [discard this other than during Clean-up]" (which I only know you intend because of you saying that Campsite is "paired with the one thing that it can't get rid of") or "when you [trash this or discard this] other than during Clean-up," which would actually let Campsite get rid of it. I'd rearrange the triggers, i.e. "when you discard this other than during Clean-up or trash this."
4. That said, mandatorily putting it into your hand when it's discarded has a major accountability issue. When you discard multiple cards at once, only the topmost card is shown, hence why Silos and Shepherd reveal the cards they discard. Obsidian Ring doesn't work without a tortured wording like "when you trash this, put it into your hand. When you discard this other than during Clean-up, you may reveal it to put it into your hand" and being a Reaction.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 01:57:35 am by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +476
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2022, 10:52:12 am »

1. Bonfire is getting Errata to not work on Duration cards. Campsite should likewise be limited to non-Durations.
3. Obsidian Ring is unclear; it can be parsed as "when you [trash this] or [discard this other than during Clean-up]" (which I only know you intend because of you saying that Campsite is "paired with the one thing that it can't get rid of") or "when you [trash this or discard this] other than during Clean-up," which would actually let Campsite get rid of it. I'd rearrange the triggers, i.e. "when you discard this other than during Clean-up or trash this."
4. That said, mandatorily putting it into your hand when it's discarded has a major accountability issue. When you discard multiple cards at once, only the topmost card is shown, hence why Silos and Shepherd reveal the cards they discard. Obsidian Ring doesn't work without a tortured wording like "when you trash this, put it into your hand. When you discard this other than during Clean-up, you may reveal it to put it into your hand" and being a Reaction.

Fixed all the issues.
they/them

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +415
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2022, 02:45:34 pm »

Where can you find those errata? I mean, Prince is now also a Duration card (finally).

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2022, 03:00:26 pm »

Where can you find those errata? I mean, Prince is now also a Duration card (finally).

https://discord.com/channels/212660788786102272/890927866538238012/946875880599330876
He doesn't explicitly say how Bonfire is getting changed, but it can be determined from context.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2022, 03:02:18 pm »

Fixed all the issues.

This isn't as big a deal, but I forgot to mention that the "when you trash this" and "when you discard this" effects should be underneath a horizontal line (see Tunnel).

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2022, 04:18:36 pm »
+2

My Submission:

Quote from: Kriegsspiel
Kriegsspiel • Act
Once per turn, set aside any number of Young Knights from your hand, then play them all.

Heirloom: Knight's Shield

Quote from: Knight's Shield
Knight's Shield • $2 • Treasure - Heirloom - Supplier
$1

$3: +1 Buy. Gain a Young Knight; if it's the 3rd you've gained this turn, Queue it.

Quote from: Young Knight
Young Knight • $3* • Action
Choose one: +2 Cards; or +2 Actions; or +3 Buys; or +$2.
(This is not in the Supply.)

My submission is Kriegsspiel, with the Heirloom Knight's Shield, and using Young Knight as a supporting non-Supply card. I'm using 3 fan mechanics: Acts, Suppliers, and Queuing.

Knight's Shield is a Copper + Supplier, allowing players to gain Young Knights for $3 without spending a Buy. Young Knight gives you 2 of one vanilla bonus of your choice (3 if you choose Buys). They are fairly weak engine components, although their versatility can be useful (they can be a Necropolis in a hand  terminal draw or a moat in a hand with a village). Their real strength, however, comes when you get enough of them to make them collide, allowing you to play multiple Young Knights all at once, using Kriegsspiel.

With 2 YKs you can't do much: if you go for Cards + Actions it is no different from playing one village. If you go Actions + $ you don't get much unless you have a dtx card. The best bet is probably to do $ + $, which generates $4 (especially if you have Knight's Shield and can buy more of them). With 3 you can turn them into a Lost City or $6 terminal. The more you have, the stronger the effect.

If you can get a big enough payload ($9) early enough to forego a Province/Platinum, the 3rd YK will be queued, adding it to the following turn's hand, and increasing the number you will have for your Kriegsspiel. At the very luckiest, you could end up with 6, which could net you a LC+3 Labs, or village+$4.

While they have potential on their own, YKs work better in an engine with other (better) engine components. In those cases, players will have to be careful about when to pull the trigger on Kriegsspiel each turn.

I considered giving the Young Knights the Knight type, as it would fit thematically and, although not trained enough to attack themselves, they (arguable) are strong enough to mortally wound a Knight in battle. But, that would basically render the Knight pile unbuyable (you'd always risk losing your $5 attack to a much weaker $3 card, and the Knights can never get to Knight's Shield to keep their opponent from adding more). While I personally would not mind that (I don't really like Knights), it would be a bad design to render an existing, official card useless (imo).
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2022, 06:01:45 pm »
+2

Way Of The Parrot
You may play a Treasure card from your hand twice.
Heirloom: Mirror

Mirror
Treasure - Heirloom - $2
+2 Actions
+$1

Mirror's +2 Actions are unusable when you play it in the Buy phase like normal. Way of the Parrot lets you play it in the Action phase, though.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 06:05:37 pm by Commodore Chuckles »

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2022, 11:50:32 am »
+2

Way of the Pegasus
Way
You may trash a Silver from your hand.
If you do, +1 Action and draw until you have 6 cards in hand.
-Heirloom: Lucky Coin-

A mash-up Way combining bits of Way of the Owl, Way of the Horse, and Stables. Lucky Coin allows the requirement to trash a Silver from your hand to not be too painful, but still restrictive so Using Way of the Pegasus is not a no-brainer. It very well may be busted, but this is what I came up with. Feed back is much appreciated.

nyxfulloftricks

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2022, 12:51:02 am »
+1

Hey judge, would a heritage card with a sideways card be acceptable for a submission.

arowdok

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2022, 11:25:02 am »
+2

Hey judge, would a heritage card with a sideways card be acceptable for a submission.

Yes you may. That fits the spirit of this contest i will update the OP.

arowdok

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2022, 11:09:53 pm »
+1

24 hour warning

nyxfulloftricks

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
Exile
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2022, 11:46:55 pm »
+1

Safe
Project-Heritage
$3
At the start of your turn, exile a non-victory card from your hand.
Deeds
Victory-Heritage
$3
Worth 1% for each 2 cards you have in exile rounded down.

arowdok

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2022, 12:17:01 am »
+4

Submissions closed. I will have them judged by tomorrow.

arowdok

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2022, 02:41:02 pm »
+1

Safe
$3
Project
At the start of your turn, exile a non-victory card from your hand.
Heritage: Deeds
Deeds
$3
Victory - Heritage
Worth 1% for each 2 cards you have in exile rounded down.
Safe is very comparable to Cathedral, it does need some text to deal with the situation of a hand of all green cards. This is worse as players usually just trashout their Estates early, also the fact this does not remove a curse’s -VP. But with the Heritage giving some addition of VP for completing an objective is nice. Not sure if players will ever be in the situation of buying this too early then buy something that is in exile just to fill up their deck, which Cathedral does quite differently. This pair does get better with other sources of exile which is probably good. Overall this combo is more comparable to a Landmark, that enables itself but also you need to keep a dead card. Might be able to make this just an Action - Victory card and get a similar result with less games being slowed to a crawl when this is bought too early.

Way of the Pegasus
Way
You may trash a Silver from your hand.
If you do, +1 Action and draw until you have 6 cards in hand.
Heirloom: Lucky Coin
Lucky Coin
$4
Treasure - Heirloom
$1
When you play this, gain a Silver.
I am glad somebody explored the uses of Official Heirlooms. I really like how this helps unjunk your deck of Silvers for an engine focused deck which might struggle to deal with the glut of Silver this Heirloom creates, given the Heirloom really helps green rush decks keep gassing all game.

Way Of The Parrot
Way
You may play a Treasure card from your hand twice.
Heirloom: Mirror
Mirror
$2
Treasure - Heirloom
+2 Actions
+$1
Way Of The Parrot plus an Heirloom is a great idea, as it expands the Card’s uses by guaranteeing that a cool treasure is onboard, except your treasure is just lacking. Mirror feels like it could use some work as its text box only matters if you Way Of The Parrot it and even then not worth it. Mirror doesn’t interact with enough cards for the extra reading/confusion it would create.

Kriegsspie
Act
Once per turn, set aside any number of Young Knights from your hand, then play them all.
Heirloom: Knight's Shield
Knight's Shield
$2
Treasure - Heirloom - Supplier
$1
-
$3: +1 Buy. Gain a Young Knight; if it's the 3rd you've gained this turn, Queue it.
Young Knight
$3*
Action
Choose one: +2 Cards; or +2 Actions; or +3 Buys; or +$2.
(This is not in the Supply.)
So you tried to use all the custom mechanics, bold choice.
Kriegsspie is limited but still cool, most Act I have seen or made feel useless or game warping so this is nice to see, the choice is meaningful and simple.
Knight's Shield, a Supplier that is Heirloom Supplier is a great use of both mechanics, it gives players limited access to the “Pile” to buy, so kinda different than just an event. Also it gives access to the “Pile” earlier than a supply pile would as players usually have to wait a rotation. The Queue if you spend $9 ($3*3) feels like a waste of text, might make this easier to trigger by reducing it to the 2nd copy or “if you have gained 3 or more cards this turn Queue the Young Knight) or Queue all 3 copies you bought this turn. (No idea how to word that)
Young Knight feels off, this does not feel worth all the effort of the weird steps to get it. The use of 3 buys is just irritating to see as everything else is a +2. Gaining lots of these seems cool and very much what the design wants you to do, but having a bunch of these feels like too many choices for each play and yet not enough power for only buying a couple. Also get ruined by any attack effect, basically lowering the density with junk or hand size ruins this pile's plans. Side Note how many Young Knights are in the pile?
Overall the price and inconstant way to gain the Young Knight does not feel worth it. Also the Landscape feels like the smaller point to this design, you might be able to even remove it and the pile plays the same.

Campsite
$5
Project
At the start of Clean-up, trash up to 2 non-Duration cards you have in play.
Heirloom: Obsidian Ring
Obsidian Ring
$2
Treasure - Reaction - Heirloom
$1
-
When you trash this, put it into your hand.
When you discard this other than during Clean-up, you may reveal it to put it into your hand.
This project feels pushed, a trash effect that does not take up room in your deck late game feels just too good. The upside of when discarded you may return to hand is great Heirloom. Seems great for lots so shifter and such it is quite sad your landscape does not help enable this somehow. I was surprised to see a Heirloom as a downside, this does feel like a great place to explore, and pairing a downside Heirloom with a strong project seems like a good pair.

Bellmaker
Edict
When you buy a Silver, gain an additional Silver.  When you trash a Silver, +1 Card.
Heirloom: Chime
Chime
$2
Treasure - Heirloom
$1
This turn, when you gain a Treasure, you may put it on top of your deck.

Bellmaker feels very comparable to Delve letting players start with an extra silver, except Delve costing a player’s early $4 ($2+$2) and this one costing a player’s early $3. The other half of turning Silvers into pseudo Rat/Overgrown Estates is interesting, though I'm a bit sad as the Heirloom does not help guarantee a form of trash for the Silvers. An edict that affects early game by giving out silvers then later when silver matter less gives players something to do with those silvers late game seems like a fun place to explore.
Chime feels like a great Heirloom effect to design around, except it really messes with the early 3/4 split math. These two cards in conjecture really create some swingy early turns. If a player gets the heirloom in the 1st hand vs the 2nd hand matters a lot. If a player gets the heirloom in the $3 hand vs $4 hand can give two silvers on top matters too much and is probably not a good place for this. Now over the course of the game it should somewhat work out but feels off overall.

Honorable mention
Emtzalex - Kriegsspie/Knight's Shield/Young Knight

Runner Up
Augie279 - Campsite/Obsidian Ring

1st place
Xen3k - Way of the Pegasus/Lucky Coin

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2022, 06:52:13 pm »
+1

Thanks for judging arowdok!

I will work on getting the next challenge posted tonight!
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 21 queries.