Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Author Topic: Allies Preview 2: Split piles  (Read 20975 times)

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1351
    • View Profile
Re: Allies Preview 2: Split piles
« Reply #100 on: March 04, 2022, 09:43:59 am »

Anyway...back to split piles. Man, if you get 3 of these new split piles in one game, that's a ton of extra cards to keep in mind simultaneously! It's not necessarily a new problem (eg Travelers), but it seems like this takes it to a new level.

I had one with two of those piles and Museum. Museum ended up with a lot of points! Fairgrounds would also do really well with those
They/them

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 04, 2022, 11:19:41 am »
+1

Doesn't seem like it's that much compared to Knights, Castles, Ruins, and especially Black Market.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 04, 2022, 01:59:52 pm »
+1

For fun, I'm going to guess at the power level and implications of these cards--without having played any of them online.  Best to get all my wrong thoughts out before reality has time to correct me.

Herb Gatherer is like Messenger.  Not very strong at all.  What's interesting is that if this is the only source of plus buy, you could buy one and rotate the pile, cutting off access to +Buy.  It's a weak card that you nonetheless want to open with.  If there are better sources of +buy though, I could see this getting ignored a lot of the time.  Which is just fine, piles don't need to be good all the time.

Acolyte is Transmute.  No seriously, it's a card whose main benefit is trashing Estates into Gold, and which you can only buy on the second shuffle, and often only if you bought another weak card in your first shuffle.  Obviously this is better than Transmute but I think it's pretty weak.  I think the player who gets Acolyte would prefer to rotate the pile so they can trash it for something better, but what if nobody gets Acolyte?  Maybe the pile will just stop here.

Sorceress doesn't seem very strong unless you have some sort of synergy, e.g. with Sybil, which is obviously independently powerful already.  So the synergy is right there in the pile, so I guess that seems good.  I think cursers that require a bit of support like this can actually be more powerful, because it's entirely possible that one player will miss out, potentially leading to 10/0 curse splits.  I can see the Augur pile rotating a few times throughout the game though, so you probably don't miss out forever.

I agree with the comparisons between Old Map and Fugitive--Old Map is slightly less powerful, but not that much less.  It seems good relative to its cost.  But obviously you can't build your deck around it, and it doesn't particularly synergize with the rest of the pile (especially not Voyage).  I think this will have a very different dynamic from Herb Gatherer--you're okay missing out on this one.

Voyage seems good?  It's not great in a deck with a lot of cantrips, but I'm sure there are plenty of turns where you can play $4 and just buy a cheap card, making it at about as good as Ironworks.  Or maybe you trash some cards, without having to reduce handsize on your main turn.

Sunken Treasure is like the version of Horn of Plenty that gets worse on bigger turns, and also won't gain victory cards.  So, really not like Horn of Plenty at all.  This doesn't seem very strong without synergies, but hey Voyage is a synergy.

Distant Shore is like a Duchy + experiment.  Gaining estates is not great, but how many shuffles are left anyway?  Also don't you have old maps, just discard the estates.

Swap - This just seems like a great first $5--provided you have enough action density--because you could just swap to get whatever other $5 you would have wanted otherwise.  It seems extremely powerful.

To judge allies, I still go back to my question "how good would Underling be with this ally?".  Crafter's Guild  makes Underling a cantrip armory half the time.  That seems... extremely good.  Like, almost as good as Cobbler but at a $3 price point.

City-State also seems extremely good.  If you can gain a card during your action phase, it's effectively +1 card +1 action, with the card you draw and play being the action you just gained.  If you can't gain cards during your action phase, well, it's probably still fine.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 02:01:09 pm by trivialknot »

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1399
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 05, 2022, 01:11:31 pm »
+2

Always take your Death Cart to a Swap meet
My opponent has more loot than me
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.