Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: Allies Preview 2: Split piles  (Read 20793 times)

TimSharrock

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Allies Preview 2: Split piles
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2022, 01:38:30 pm »

I have just played a preview game with voyage and possession (acquired with sunken treasure). Fun, but I did find it a bit confusing predicting what turn was going to happen next!

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2022, 01:39:56 pm »

is there a subtheme with U / R sifting this time?

and incidentally here's where we're at on the previews countdown, i think. i got the number of boxes for rotate wrong yesterday - shout out to hsypsx in the discord for catching that. Also unless we're Done With Cantrips i think i misunderstood the "+1 Card and +1 Action" wordcount part of the preview, which seems to portend Wild Stuff is coming.

click to enlarge.

And now you've gotten the number of boxes for turn wrong today. Both Allies use it once each, and Voyage uses it twice, for a total of 4 times.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2022, 02:21:54 pm »
+1

So I was partially right in my guess about how rotating piles would work. I was right about cards being moved to the bottom of the pile, but I was wrong about how they moved there. I'd guessed they were one-shots that returned to the bottom of the deck. This sounds better than my guess, so I'm not upset about guessing wrong
They/them

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2022, 02:56:18 pm »

and incidentally here's where we're at on the previews countdown, i think. i got the number of boxes for rotate wrong yesterday - shout out to hsypsx in the discord for catching that. Also unless we're Done With Cantrips i think i misunderstood the "+1 Card and +1 Action" wordcount part of the preview, which seems to portend Wild Stuff is coming.

click to enlarge.

And now you've gotten the number of boxes for turn wrong today. Both Allies use it once each, and Voyage uses it twice, for a total of 4 times.

I wasn't sure on the 2nd box check for voyage. From the teaser, it's not clear whether that's purely wordcount, or if it's cards-that-have-the-word.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2022, 03:00:34 pm »
+1

click to enlarge.

I wasn't sure on the 2nd box check for voyage. From the teaser, it's not clear whether that's purely wordcount, or if it's cards-that-have-the-word.

Without checking, I think it's wordcount.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2022, 03:10:36 pm »

I've noticed that the previewed Treasures do not have the little value indicators left and right of the card title on ShuffleIT. Is that intentional?

EDIT: Oh I see now that only the cards that provide a fixed positive coin value have that icon anymore. That seems sensible.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 03:23:22 pm by faust »
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2022, 03:12:21 pm »

click to enlarge.

Even if it was just cards-that-have-the-word, spineflu's count would still be wrong. It would still be 3 today (Voyage, Crafters' Guild, and City-State), not 2.

Also, it can be deduced from the previews and the teaser that it is in fact wordcount. The wordcount for Favor is 33, but there are 9 Liaisons and 23 Allies, for a total of 32 cards that would say Favor. Thus one of those 32 cards must say it twice.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 03:22:44 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +415
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2022, 03:45:50 pm »
+1

My first impressions about the split piles: The $3 costs are really strong on both piles. Especially on the Augur pile, a singular Herb Gatherer is ridiculously strong with Sibyl. The other two cards work nicely as well, so the self synergy is very real.

The other split pile is probably not that strong, but very fun to play with. Voyage is absolutely nothing like Outpost, as being able to play 3 cards, including Treasures is a severe restriction unlike pretty much anything before. Sunken Treasure is the carrier here. I think Herbalist is legitimately good on these boards.

I already like this expansion more than Menagerie and Nocturne.

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2022, 03:53:31 pm »

So now you can take 4 turns in a row without Possession? Or am I missing some changes via errata?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2022, 03:58:13 pm »
+4

So now you can take 4 turns in a row without Possession? Or am I missing some changes via errata?

Unless I'm missing something, you can take unlimited turns with Voyage. You just can't get benefit from playing Voyage on a Voyage turn. But while Outpost and Mission are both once per turn, Voyage has no such restriction.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2022, 04:01:00 pm »

Unless I'm missing something, you can take unlimited turns with Voyage. You just can't get benefit from playing Voyage on a Voyage turn. But while Outpost and Mission are both once per turn, Voyage has no such restriction.

Oh wow, I didn't notice that! That's not even a weird edge case then.

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2022, 04:03:18 pm »
+1

I wonder why Herb Gatherer's Chancelloring is mandatory?

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2022, 04:52:57 pm »

click to enlarge.

Even if it was just cards-that-have-the-word, spineflu's count would still be wrong. It would still be 3 today (Voyage, Crafters' Guild, and City-State), not 2.

Also, it can be deduced from the previews and the teaser that it is in fact wordcount. The wordcount for Favor is 33, but there are 9 Liaisons and 23 Allies, for a total of 32 cards that would say Favor. Thus one of those 32 cards must say it twice.
edge case: one of the rotating split piles has two cards that give them. Only the top card of the pile needs the Liaison type.

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2022, 04:58:19 pm »
+1

click to enlarge.

edge case: one of the rotating split piles has two cards that give them. Only the top card of the pile needs the Liaison type.

Good point, but I think Donald would give the 2nd card the Liaison type anyway for consistency's sake.

jbrecken

• Scout
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2022, 05:00:32 pm »

Why isn't Old Map just +2 Cards?  Is only allowing you to discard the first one that important?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2022, 06:02:38 pm »
+1

Well you can play a bunch on one turn, but you can't "chain" them.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2022, 06:04:36 pm »
+2

Why isn't Old Map just +2 Cards?  Is only allowing you to discard the first one that important?
Because Fugitive is a $4.5.

It's interesting that Old Map is $3 instead of $4, though.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2022, 07:01:57 pm »
+1

If Herb Gatherer is the only +buy and your opponent doesn’t get one quickly you can grab it and rotate it hiding the +buy under a pile of other cards.

This happened to me once already when my opponent got one and then rotated the pile so I couldn't get one. It sucks.

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2022, 07:41:42 pm »
+3

If Herb Gatherer is the only +buy and your opponent doesn’t get one quickly you can grab it and rotate it hiding the +buy under a pile of other cards.

This happened to me once already when my opponent got one and then rotated the pile so I couldn't get one. It sucks.

Sure, but you can (almost) always get a Herb Gatherer yourself after the opponent has gained one, before they can first play it. It's very rare not to have at least $3 on one of the turn(s) in-between.

jbrecken

• Scout
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2022, 08:02:31 pm »
+1

I'm not sure how that explains why the two "+1 Card"s on Old Map are split.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2022, 08:47:57 pm »

I'm not sure how that explains why the two "+1 Card"s on Old Map are split.

The point being that the version phrased like Fugitive would be way too strong for a . Even too strong for a . But it is really surprising to me that moving the 1 draw like that can make it go all the way down to a without being too strong.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2022, 09:50:59 pm »

Distant Shore + Inheritance would be a really strong combo in games with good targets for Inheritance. Otherwise, the Estate-gaining is a serious draw-back, especially in the early and mid-game
They/them

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2022, 09:55:02 pm »

Distant Shore + Inheritance would be a really strong combo in games with good targets for Inheritance. Otherwise, the Estate-gaining is a serious draw-back, especially in the early and mid-game

Distant Shores isn't available in the early game. I thought the same thing when I first saw it, but it turns out you usually don't get to play a Distant Shores more than 2-3 times in a game. And 2 or 3 Estates near the end of the game don't hurt much.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 09:57:22 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2022, 10:15:22 pm »
+2

Distant Shores isn't available in the early game. I thought the same thing when I first saw it, but it turns out you usually don't get to play a Distant Shores more than 2-3 times in a game. And 2 or 3 Estates near the end of the game don't hurt much.

If you Inherit Old Map, you can rotate to Distant Shores very quickly, and then all the Estates you gain will be sifting cantrips.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2022, 10:42:31 pm »

Herb Gatherer + Capitalism seems like it could potentially be really strong
They/them
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 21 queries.