Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dominion: Allies Teaser  (Read 7964 times)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
Dominion: Allies Teaser
« on: February 25, 2022, 02:59:36 am »
+26

At long last, Allies previews start Monday, and as usual I have a teaser.

Word counts:
- favor(s) - 33
- turn - 30
- choose - 13
- rotate - 6
- curse - 4
- +1 card and +1 action - 4
- 10 - 2
- skip - 1

Type counts
- actions - 45
- allies - 23
- liaisons - 9
- durations - 9
- attacks - 7
- treasures - 3
- victory cards - 3
- reactions - 0

Miscellaneous
- a kingdom card that cares about shuffling
- a sorcerer and a sorceress
- a treasure Pawn
- a treasure-duration
- two cards with four types

ClouduHieh

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: ClouduHieh
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Allies Teaser
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2022, 11:44:48 am »

Wow 7 attack cards Yes! I love attack cards. Wow no reactions interesting. Although I definitely am interested in how rotating cards work. Definitely a new concept for dominion.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2022, 12:21:05 pm »
+2

i've always wanted a card that sorces; now we get two
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 04:52:16 pm by spineflu »

UltimateGeek

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2022, 01:47:30 pm »

I wonder if the color for the duration treasure will be rose gold.

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2022, 02:40:10 pm »

So we know 31 Kingdom and now that 3 are Victory.
So presumably 316 + 31
And 23 Allies =
370, leaving 30 other cards* - either non supply? Or extra large Kingdom piles (maybe related to the rotating).

* being an even 30, I wouldn't expect any of these to be blanks

A number I found more interesting is 45 Action cards! So clearly, there will be some differently named piles too.
if we assume none of the treasures or victory cards are Action, that leaves 25 Action cards, so 20 more. If two piles are like knights, that's an extra 18. and the last 2 could be from those extra 30 cards somehow? Or some other similar mix.

Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

Lrrr

• Pawn
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2022, 03:13:44 pm »
+18

« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 03:15:01 pm by Lrrr »

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2022, 03:50:30 pm »

So we know 31 Kingdom and now that 3 are Victory.
So presumably 316 + 31
And 23 Allies =
370, leaving 30 other cards* - either non supply? Or extra large Kingdom piles (maybe related to the rotating).

* being an even 30, I wouldn't expect any of these to be blanks

A number I found more interesting is 45 Action cards! So clearly, there will be some differently named piles too.
if we assume none of the treasures or victory cards are Action, that leaves 25 Action cards, so 20 more. If two piles are like knights, that's an extra 18. and the last 2 could be from those extra 30 cards somehow? Or some other similar mix.

I suspect that the "rotating" cards are similar to split piles. My guess: they're piles with two or more differently-named cards, which are all one-shots. But, when you play them, they specifically return to the bottom of their pile instead of the top, so that you rotate through the cards in the pile (or this could turn out to be an hilariously wrong prediction, we'll find out soon either way!)

I'm surprised at 3 Victory cards. It's been a while since we've had a new Victory card, and there hasn't been an expansion with that many Victory cards since Hinterlands. I suppose they probably interact in some way with some of the new things in the expansion like favors and allies? Looking forward to the previews!
They/them

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2022, 03:52:52 pm »

At long last, Allies previews start Monday, and as usual I have a teaser.

Word counts:
- favor(s) - 33
- turn - 30
- choose - 13
- rotate - 6
- curse - 4
- +1 card and +1 action - 4
- 10 - 2
- skip - 1

Type counts
- actions - 45
- allies - 23
- liaisons - 9
- durations - 9
- attacks - 7
- treasures - 3
- victory cards - 3
- reactions - 0

Miscellaneous
- a kingdom card that cares about shuffling
- a sorcerer and a sorceress
- a treasure Pawn
- a treasure-duration

Also, 23 cards with the "Allies" type? Now I'm really curious about what that type does that allows that many different cards!
They/them

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2022, 04:05:21 pm »
+1

I suspect that the "rotating" cards are similar to split piles. My guess: they're piles with two or more differently-named cards, which are all one-shots. But, when you play them, they specifically return to the bottom of their pile instead of the top, so that you rotate through the cards in the pile (or this could turn out to be an hilariously wrong prediction, we'll find out soon either way!)

Well we also know that the word "rotate" is used 6 times.

My guess: you have a pile and when you play (or gain or buy or...) a card from it, it "rotates" the pile to another pile (which then has the ability to "rotate" back). That could account for both the 6 rotates and also the 30 extra cards.

It does clash with my guess above about 2 piles with 10 differently names cards as I'm now assuming these 3 extra piles would make it the equivalent of 34 piles. (34-6 = 28, leaving 17* other actions, not the 18 needed). So I'm slightly off somewhere.

* and if any of the treasure or victory cards are also actions, this number goes down even more.
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

IlstrawberrySeed

• Baron
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2022, 05:10:36 pm »
+1

Also, 23 cards with the "Allies" type? Now I'm really curious about what that type does that allows that many different cards!

I would assume the 23 Allie’s are the landscape cards that use favor tokens.

Violet CLM

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +444
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2022, 07:38:08 pm »
+6

All six uses of the word "rotate" are on the same card, it's a series of dance moves

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2022, 07:41:55 pm »
+8

Soooo... a question that has been rattling in my brain since you announced Guilds wouldn't be the last expansion:

Personally, I would be disappointed if the 15th box is not codenamed D:XV.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
  • DSF lowest ratio upvotes-posts 14 yrs & counting
  • Respect: +228
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2022, 10:36:02 pm »

golf clap
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2022, 12:11:11 pm »

Very excited for 3 whole new victory cards.  We haven't had that many in a single set since apparently Hinterlands.

kru5h

• Duke
  • Respect: +372
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2022, 12:34:45 am »

I don't imagine a Treasure-Duration card working well with Crypt.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2022, 12:50:42 am »

Hopefully I'm wrong.

It's not only Crypt, but Mandarin, Mint, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some. Donald has said before that the reason he has avoided doing treasure-duration up til now is that it is too easy to get rid of treasure cards in play.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2022, 01:39:02 am »

Hopefully I'm wrong.

It's not only Crypt, but Mandarin, Mint, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some. Donald has said before that the reason he has avoided doing treasure-duration up til now is that it is too easy to get rid of treasure cards in play.

I wouldn't be surprised if most or all of those got errata to not work on Durations. I've heard Bonfire is, and Procession got it, so it seems like the other ways of removing Durations from play should follow suit.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 01:40:29 am by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2022, 02:08:38 am »

Hopefully I'm wrong.

It's already possible with several existing Duration cards + Capitalism. I had a game once, for example, that had Merchant Ship + Capitalism + Crypt. It allowed the weird situation of playing the Merchant Ship again on the same turn when the duration effect was active! So, I played it on turn 1 for +$2, put it in the Crypt at Clean-up, on turn 2, I put it into my hand, and then played it for the +$2 in the same turn when the duration +$2 was in effect!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 02:25:13 am by mxdata »
They/them

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2022, 02:21:58 am »

Hopefully I'm wrong.

I wouldn't be surprised if most or all of those got errata to not work on Durations. I've heard Bonfire is, and Procession got it, so it seems like the other ways of removing Durations from play should follow suit.

It seems to me like a lot of those problems could've been avoided by a general rule that if a Duration card leaves play, the duration effect doesn't happen. But, at this point, it's probably too late to implement such a rule change
They/them

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2022, 09:56:30 am »
+2

Hopefully I'm wrong.

It seems to me like a lot of those problems could've been avoided by a general rule that if a Duration card leaves play, the duration effect doesn't happen. But, at this point, it's probably too late to implement such a rule change

I'm of the exact opposite opinion that tracking is just a nice-to-have, and it's not a big deal at all if certain edge cases require you to remember an effect until your next turn without a card in play to tell you. I'm not saying that Durations shouldn't be left out at all, because if it were the normal usage then you'd often have multiple different effects that you have to remember all of. But when it's only due to rare edge cases, and not something that is happening multiple times per turn or most turns, I don't see any issue at all with the fact that sometimes the game rules require you to remember something until next turn.

*Edit* But here I am posting in the teasers thread like an idiot while there's an actual previews thread that I could go read instead!
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2022, 01:37:38 pm »

Hopefully I'm wrong.

I'm of the exact opposite opinion that tracking is just a nice-to-have, and it's not a big deal at all if certain edge cases require you to remember an effect until your next turn without a card in play to tell you. I'm not saying that Durations shouldn't be left out at all, because if it were the normal usage then you'd often have multiple different effects that you have to remember all of. But when it's only due to rare edge cases, and not something that is happening multiple times per turn or most turns, I don't see any issue at all with the fact that sometimes the game rules require you to remember something until next turn.

*Edit* But here I am posting in the teasers thread like an idiot while there's an actual previews thread that I could go read instead!

That's a good point too, and it's rare that you have more than one or two cards in a situation like that to keep track of. And there's certainly no real rules questions involved, just having to remember effects
They/them

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2022, 09:54:58 am »

do the word counts double-count words with that text in them twice? that is, should i check one box or two for "turn" with Voyage?
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 21 queries.