Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #143: Can I see your ID first?  (Read 5857 times)

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
Weekly Design Contest #143: Can I see your ID first?
« on: February 16, 2022, 03:06:03 am »
+7

This week, your task is to design a card(-shaped object) with a buying or gaining restriction.

The inspiration for this contest is Grand Market. However, once-per-turn or once-per-game Events like Alms or Seize the Day would also be valid.

Here are some more precise rules:
- your submission should have some additional requirement to being bought/gained other than cost.
- if your submission is a card, it should be in the supply; a gaining restriction due to not being in the supply will not be valid. You may still involve non-supply cards.
- the restriction does not need to be explicitly stated as it is on Grand Market, so long as it has an analogous effect.

Obviously there is some room for interpretation, and I will try to be generous if it is in the spirit of the contest. Please be mindful of potential rules issues with a condition like "You may not gain this unless...".

And with that, I wish you creativity and luck! The contest will close on February 23, 2022, 03:30:00 am.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 04:01:19 pm by faust »
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #143: Can I see your ID first?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2022, 10:37:54 am »
+4

Just a simple terminal draw card that can't be gained if your discard pile is empty. 

infangthief

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +10000 (I wish)
  • Respect: +639
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2022, 11:29:18 am »
+3

Agent
$7
Action

+1 Card
+1 Action
+$3
--------
You can't buy this if you have an Agent in play.
Agents don't like you taking on other agents, but if you can get them to work for you then they'll do great things.

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2022, 01:16:26 pm »
+2

This week, your task is to design a card(-shaped object) with a buying or gaining restriction.

The inspiration for this contest is Grand Market. However, once-per-turn or once-per-game Events like Alms or Seize the Day would also be valid.
- your submission should be in the supply; a gaining restriction due to not being in the supply will not be valid. You may still involve non-supply cards.

I hate to nitpick, but for the purposes of these rules I presume we should understand Events (and Projects) to be "in the supply" (or for that precise rule not to apply to them).
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2022, 04:01:36 pm »

- your submission should be in the supply; a gaining restriction due to not being in the supply will not be valid. You may still involve non-supply cards.

I hate to nitpick, but for the purposes of these rules I presume we should understand Events (and Projects) to be "in the supply" (or for that precise rule not to apply to them).
Yeah you're right; I clarified.

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2022, 04:41:55 pm »
+3

Developing Village
$1
Action
+1 Buy and +3 Actions.
____
You can buy this only once per turn.

Comments: A non-terminal $1 card that gives +Buy would be too easy to pile out. The one buy a turn restriction avoids that issue and is thematically appropriate.

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2022, 06:09:21 pm »
+8

Here's my entry this week. Realm is pretty simple, it's Province for $6, but you can only gain it if you don't have any duplicate cards in play (sort of like activating a Magic Lamp). Realms are tricky to buy when running a big engine (though definitely possible if you're careful). It's also much easier to get fancy with gainers and Remodlers. A hand of Copper-Silver-Gold can buy one straight up, which might make a money strategy more tempting, though repeatedly lining up exactly three Treasures to hit $6 is harder than it sounds. And remember: these Provinces don't end the game when they're out.

AJL828

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJL828
  • Respect: +394
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2022, 10:26:40 pm »
+1

Consultant
Action ($5)

+1 Action
Look at the top 3 cards of your deck. Put 2 of them into your hand and discard the other one.
---
You can't buy this if you have any cards in your hand.

You're getting a little sick of that hair-brained Advisor. Why did he keep telling you take Curses all the time? Hopefully this new guy will be better at helping you manage things. He is a little pricier than your old Advisor, but you've heard good things about him from your friends. One thing he wants you to know up front however, is that he requires your utmost attention when he is speaking to you. Don't get distracted by whatever is in your hands.

Obviously a spin on Advisor (lol), Consultant is a Lab variant that cycles you through an extra card, but has the drawback of being unavailable for purchase if you still have anything left in your hand (probably Victory cards or Curses). You'll need to find some way to deal with them if you want his services, so you'll need some way to discard or trash them. And of course, gainers such as Artisan can acquire Consultants with no extra hassle.
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2022, 05:19:10 am »
+1

Foundry
Action - $5
+3 Cards
Gain a card costing less than this

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2022, 03:04:45 pm »
+2

Charlatan
Action
$3

+ 1 Card
+ 1 Action

Play any number of Treasures from your hand. You may buy one card onto your deck.

Heirloom: Bootleg

Bootleg
Action - Heirloom
$3

Choose one: Trash this and gain a card costing up to $4; or $2

Notes and thoughts
- When I saw the theme I had the daft idea of whether or not a card you cannot buy can actually be feasible.
- The first problem is that without gainers, remodelers, etc, such a card could be a dead card that nobody could gain. To solve this I gave it an heirloom that can gain it.
- I had a simple idea for an heirloom. A card that gave you a choice of either being a Silver or trashing it to gain a card up to $4.  At the beginning of a game depending on the opening and kingdom you could want to do either. This heirloom has morphed into an Action but more on that later.
- I was thinking what other issues could there be with a card you cannot buy. It would have a problem if it were one of your Black Market options.  I decided that you should be able to buy from the Black Market. I changed the restriction from you can't buy it to you can't gain it during your Buy phase. This does have some implications, for example, Horn of Plenty would no longer be able to gain it (not a problem) but neither would a Treasure Heirloom (big problem!!!). The solution, turn the Heirloom into an Action-Heirloom so the gaining takes place during the Action phase.
- In order to always have the possibility of the pile running out, the card needed to be able to gain itself. Thinking about Black Market and buying during your action phase, made me think about the twisted symmetry of the card that cannot be gained during your Buy phase allowing you to buy from the supply during your Action phase.
- That led to the question about why you would want a card that allowed to buy from the supply in your Action phase? What would you gain from buying it then instead of waiting for you Buy phase? The answer would be so you can draw and play that card your bought in the same turn. To help with this it should topdeck the card you bought.

mathdude

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2022, 03:08:48 pm »

- your submission should have some additional requirement to being bought/gained other than cost.

An "additional optional requirement"?  Or an "additional mandatory requirement"?  If the first, then would Animal Fair qualify?  And regardless of your answer there, would Duchess qualify?
he/him

mathdude

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2022, 03:22:04 pm »
+1

Maybe answers to my previous questions will help others, or maybe I'll change my entry based on them.  But for now, here's my entry:

What?  A $4 gold-variant?  And it's non-terminal?!?!

Getting a bunch of these in your hand would be great.  Landing 3 in each 5-card hand gets you a Province every time.  But can you get enough of them to do that, or is there a better place to find points than going deep into a mine?  If you have great village and draw support, you can land more of these than what start in your 5-card hand.  But then why not go for a more typical engine?  If you only have a draw card, then drawing these dead isn't helpful.  Lots to consider - some kingdoms would let this card shine, and others would make it look very weak... but can you find out which are which?
he/him

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2022, 05:14:03 pm »
+7

Note that with 15VP, this is the logical thing after Colony (1->3->6->10->15), so it's like Dominate (also 15VP) but wit a different cost.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 10:59:08 pm by silverspawn »

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2022, 05:54:59 pm »

Note that with 15VP, this is the logical thing after Colony (1->3->6->10->15), so it's like Dominate (also 15VP) but wit a different cost.

Maybe I'm missing something, but why does it cost $8 and not $0*?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2022, 06:08:11 pm »
+2

Well the downside of it costing 0$ is that it feels even worse when it gets trashed (LOL SWINDLE YOUR COLONY+ INTO A CURESE), not that you want to trash it anyway. And I don't see the upside of it costing 0$, and 8$ feels natural since it costs 8$, sort of.

I think the thing were cards you can't buy the usual way all cost 0$ is a thing of the past; horse costs 3$. Also I never liked it.

Also a large pyramid built by thousands of normal people costs 0$? :(

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2022, 06:50:26 pm »
+3

My Submission:

Quote from: Elitist Village
Elitist Village • $4 • Action
+1 Card
+3 Actions

You can't buy this if you have any Action cards in play.

A double-village for $4, these snobs don't like mixing with others. Getting the first one won't be a problem, but if you want to continuing buying them as your engine grows, that could get tricky. Synergy with gainers and Command cards.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2022, 09:04:37 pm »
+2

Pyramid’s “you can’t gain this in any other way” clause seems likely to cause rules issues and confusion. For example, suppose that someone hits your Province with Swindler. Are they allowed to choose to have you gain a Pyramid, and if they do, do you gain nothing?

Instead, I’d suggest costing Pyramid at $12 so that it can’t be gained in a typical game except by buying, and limit the clause to buying.

BBobb

• Moneylender
  • My brother says thief is amazing.
  • Respect: +138
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2022, 09:28:56 pm »

My Submission:

Quote from: Elitist Village
Elitist Village • $4 • Action
+1 Card
+3 Actions

You can't buy this if you have any Action cards in play.

This feels like it is on par with Port but with a buy clause. Probably a lot worse than it considering it is so much harder to get

A double-village for $4, these snobs don't like mixing with others. Getting the first one won't be a problem, but if you want to continuing buying them as your engine grows, that could get tricky. Synergy with gainers and Command cards.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2022, 10:38:14 pm »

Abutment • $4 • Action
+2 Buys
Cards cost $1 less this turn.
-
When you gain this, if you don't have a card costing exactly $3 in play, trash this.

In one sense, this is sort of a modified-bridge, with the coin becoming another buy. In another, it's an inverse fortress, where it goes back into the trash when you lurk it out of there. Don't want them in your deck but want another player not to get them? buy them with nothing but copper, gold, and other non-$3-costing cards in play, trash the pile.

That said, this may cause some decision fatigue when players have to figure out the cost of their own cards to determine whether they've got something that costs $3 in play. I think the only borderline case on that is Destrier, but if the Destrier costs $3 when you buy the Abutment, it doesn't trash (and then the Destrier costs $2 afterwards).

minor revision of "trash it" to "trash this" so there's no confusion on whether to trash the card costing $3 or not.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2022, 12:33:12 pm by spineflu »

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +476
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2022, 10:50:27 pm »
+2

A village? You can get a bunch of these but you're gonna give up the card for doing so. Might be worth it on some boards. Below-the-line effect to avoid you just running away with a million Actions.

Because I'm legally required to get some card with a bad Artifact to work.
they/them

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2022, 10:59:19 pm »
+2

Pyramid’s “you can’t gain this in any other way” clause seems likely to cause rules issues and confusion. For example, suppose that someone hits your Province with Swindler. Are they allowed to choose to have you gain a Pyramid, and if they do, do you gain nothing?

Instead, I’d suggest costing Pyramid at $12 so that it can’t be gained in a typical game except by buying, and limit the clause to buying.

Idk why I didn't think of that, but yeah that's a great idea. Updated. (The intended answer was "no they can't", which this does.)

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2022, 02:51:37 am »

An "additional optional requirement"?  Or an "additional mandatory requirement"?  If the first, then would Animal Fair qualify?  And regardless of your answer there, would Duchess qualify?
The additional condition should be on top of the cost. Animal Fair/Duchess would not qualify.

infangthief

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +10000 (I wish)
  • Respect: +639
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2022, 04:39:54 am »

I wonder how "you can't gain this" really works?
Buying is always a decision (I think?), but gaining is sometimes an effect triggered by something else.

Presumably you could buy such a card, just fail to gain it. Could be useful for Goons and co.
I guess you can't make Remodel fail by trying to gain a card that says you can't - you'd have to gain something that you can gain.
But what about Swindler? "Each other player ... gains a card ... that you choose." Can I choose a card that says "you can't gain this"? I think yes? If some instructions said "Choose a card. Gain it.", then doing things in order there's nothing to stop me from choosing a card that can't be gained; it just wouldn't get gained.

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +476
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2022, 11:58:12 am »

A village? You can get a bunch of these but you're gonna give up the card for doing so. Might be worth it on some boards. Below-the-line effect to avoid you just running away with a million Actions.

Because I'm legally required to get some card with a bad Artifact to work.
Sure, the first copy is a Peddler but would you ever want two?
This looks borderline unplayable in a non-mirror, i.e. when you are stuck forever with the artifact. On the other hand, if there is engine potential, the dominant strategy might be for everybody to get some of those Peddlers/Bazaars/Squires.
That's a question that's likely to be board dependent. Sometimes this giving +Coin instead of +Card is going to be better due to a draw-to-X engine. Sometimes this is the only village on the board. I'm more trying to make a card with interesting gameplay decisions than a consistent power level.
they/them

Firestix

• Swindler
  • Respect: +55
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2022, 12:04:32 pm »

My Submission

Quote from: Financier
Financier ($6 Action - Duration)
At the start of each of your turns, choose one: +1 Buy; or +$1.
(This stays in play.)

You can't buy this if you have any Financiers in play.
  • A duration money maker that you can't use toward buying more of itself.
  • Can also be a source of permanent +Buy.
  • You can get around the restriction with some high cost gainers like Advance, or other gainers with cost reduction.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2022, 12:08:41 pm by Firestix »
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.