Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Design the most disappointing Kingdom  (Read 4452 times)

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +466
    • View Profile
Re: Design the most disappointing Kingdom
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2022, 07:12:27 pm »
+1

$1: Poor House
$2: Coin of the Realm, Lurker, Pearl Diver
$3: Workshop, Acting Troupe, Scheme, Village
$4: Treasure Map, Rats

I'm pretty sure BM is the best option for this board.

I would buy Pearl Diver with exactly $2 for most of the game, as it's strictly better than buying nothing (and even BM doesn't want Coppers or Estates until the game is close to the end).
I'd also expect buying an early Workshop (gaining Silvers) or possibly Treasure Maps would be a bit better than pure BM.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2022, 10:40:16 pm »

Modifying the Village Idiot kingdom from the other thread:

Throne Room
Village
Acting Troupe
Underling
Fortress
Wandering Minstrel
Port
University
Walled Village
Border Village

Landscapes:
Wall
Bandit Fort
Market Towns

That would be painful. What is the best strategy?

I'm actually curious about whether the best strategy here is to just do nothing. I don't think Wall and Bandit Fort by themselves make a pure money strategy futile, but together...

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +466
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2022, 05:02:06 am »

Throne Room
Village
Acting Troupe
Underling
Fortress
Wandering Minstrel
Port
University
Walled Village
Border Village

Landscapes:
Wall
Bandit Fort
Market Towns

I'm actually curious about whether the best strategy here is to just do nothing. I don't think Wall and Bandit Fort by themselves make a pure money strategy futile, but together...

I don't think so. If your opponent does nothing, you can win the game in the very long run by buying a single Silver, then a Gold when the Silver collides with 4 coppers, and then buy Provinces whenever you have a hand of Gold, Silver and 3 Coppers. After probably more than thousand turns, you'll have bought all 8 Provinces with a 20-card deck for a total of 48+3-5-2×2= 42 points, against the opponent's 3 points.

You can speed this "minimalist" strategy up by buying a few more Golds (and maybe one more Silver to get the first Gold faster), sacrificing 3 VP for each. I suppose that's the best strategy on this board, with the optimal number of Silvers and Golds bought to be determined by simulation.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2022, 12:27:23 am »

Throne Room
Village
Acting Troupe
Underling
Fortress
Wandering Minstrel
Port
University
Walled Village
Border Village

Landscapes:
Wall
Bandit Fort
Market Towns

I don't think so. If your opponent does nothing, you can win the game in the very long run by buying a single Silver, then a Gold when the Silver collides with 4 coppers, and then buy Provinces whenever you have a hand of Gold, Silver and 3 Coppers. After probably more than thousand turns, you'll have bought all 8 Provinces with a 20-card deck for a total of 48+3-5-2×2= 42 points, against the opponent's 3 points.

You can speed this "minimalist" strategy up by buying a few more Golds (and maybe one more Silver to get the first Gold faster), sacrificing 3 VP for each. I suppose that's the best strategy on this board, with the optimal number of Silvers and Golds bought to be determined by simulation.

Yes, you're right, it looks like you can buy up to 14 Silvers/Golds and still come out ahead if you buy all the Provinces. If your opponent is competing for the Provinces, though, you're limited to 9 Silvers/Golds, which is still a fair amount.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 20 queries.