Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #142: High Spirits  (Read 6610 times)

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
Weekly Design Contest #142: High Spirits
« on: February 07, 2022, 05:00:50 am »
+8

For the next contest the brief is to design a new spirit card together with another card or horizontal that provides a method of gaining it.

The rules/restrictions for this are:
- The spirit card you design must not be in the supply and must include the type Spirit.
- Remember that your spirit card can also be gained by Exorcist. Consider that when deciding on the card's nominal cost. It should always be possible for Exorcist to be able to gain your spirit card regardless of what else is in the kingdom.

Other than the above you are free to take this wherever you want.

The deadline will be 00:00 UTC on Monday 14th February. I will judge the cards within the next couple of days after that.

Good luck everyone and I hope you have fun.

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +476
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #142: High Spirits
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2022, 07:00:04 am »
+1

A card that can make its own draw-to-X engine. How much getting rid of your own cards to harvest some Souls is up in the air, though you do have the freedom to trash non-Durations from play if you want to have your cake and reap it too.

Edit because I forgot: There are 10 Souls.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 10:47:14 am by Augie279 »
they/them

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2022, 09:39:17 pm »
+3

Here's my entry this week. Shaman is a Wishing Well variant, that lets you name a card and pick up the matches from the top three cards of your deck. If you're lucky, you can draw 3 cards non-terminally, though this will be rare outside the early game. Additionally, if you name Bear, look at that, you get a Bear.

Bear is an Upgrade variant, that can gain a card costing exactly $1 more or $1 less than the trashed card. It's a handy Spirit that can trash Coppers and Curses, turn Estates into $3 costs, turn Golds into $5 costs, and more. There are 10 Bears.

Early on, you'll have to choose between using Shaman to draw Coppers (or your other opening card) to spike a high price point, or forgo the draw altogether to gain a Bear instead. Once you've got a Bear or two in the deck, Shamans can try to summon them to your hand (or summon trash targets for your Bears). Bears can quickly clean out your starting cards, and can pull off some fancy midturn gains later if you're clever. Should their population in your deck become unbearable, they can trash one another into Estates or other Shamans.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 07:32:12 am by 4est »

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2022, 12:03:49 am »
+2

Distillery • $5 • Action
+3 Cards
You may play a Whisky from your hand. If you don't, you may gain a Whisky.
Whisky • $3* • Action - Spirit
Set up to 2 cards from your hand aside. If neither was a Victory card, +1 Action.

(This is not in the Supply)

Oh, spirit?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 12:04:51 am by spineflu »

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2022, 12:41:14 am »
+1

Shrine Pool
Action - $3
+1 Card
+1 Action
Play up to 3 Silvers from your hand (they still produce $). If you played 3, gain a Lady Luck. Otherwise, +1 Card per Silver Played.

Lady Luck
Action/Spirit - $7
+1 Action
Return this to its pile. If you did, put your deck and discard pile into your hand.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 05:32:55 am by NoMoreFun »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2022, 12:49:21 am »
+1

Distillery • $5 • Action
+3 Cards
Set up to 2 cards from your hand aside. If neither was a Victory card, +1 Action.

Oh, spirit?
I think the 2nd sentence of Whisky should be "If you set aside two cards and neither was a Victory card". As it is, it's not clear whether you get the +1 Action if you don't set aside any cards (or only one). Also, it's like Island in that there's no way to get back the set-aside cards, right?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 12:50:48 am by LibraryAdventurer »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2022, 01:49:09 am »
+1

« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 01:50:25 am by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2022, 04:37:09 am »
+1

This gives a way to basically buy Spirits, if you accept some temporary junk card. The Spirit is trying to provide things that are currently missing from the Spirit realm without making Exorcist overpowered.

There are 8 Essences.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 04:44:38 am by faust »
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2022, 04:42:05 am »

It seems like Haunted Mansion/Will-o-Wisp is essentially a 1-card engine; buys, draw, economy is all provided. You don't even need other Spirits.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2022, 04:44:22 am »
+2

In general, I think this contest needs a reminder that people need to specify how big the pile of the Spirit they designed is.

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2022, 12:01:19 pm »

In general, I think this contest needs a reminder that people need to specify how big the pile of the Spirit they designed is.

Having only every played Nocturn online (and never having pushed up against the pile limits), I had no idea that there were not the same number of each Spirit.

This breakdown is...strange. Ghost seems to be pegged to Haunted Mirror, with the same number of copies (enough for 1 per player in the largest possible games). Less clear why there are 12 WoWs versus 13 Imps. Maybe Imp gaining with Tormentor is slightly more prolific than Wow gaining with Boons / from Exorcist trashing Estates? Maybe 12 WoWs is pegged to 4 players using Exorcist to trash their Estates? Or the 13 Imps has to do with them being mischievous/evil (and thus there is an "unlucky" number) versus the more lucky WoWs? Or it's a prime number since Imp's are more chaotic?
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2022, 12:03:44 pm »

Having only every played Nocturn online (and never having pushed up against the pile limits), I had no idea that there were not the same number of each Spirit.

This breakdown is...strange. Ghost seems to be pegged to Haunted Mirror, with the same number of copies (enough for 1 per player in the largest possible games). Less clear why there are 12 WoWs versus 13 Imps. Maybe Imp gaining with Tormentor is slightly more prolific than Wow gaining with Boons / from Exorcist trashing Estates? Maybe 12 WoWs is pegged to 4 players using Exorcist to trash their Estates? Or the 13 Imps has to do with them being mischievous/evil (and thus there is an "unlucky" number) versus the more lucky WoWs? Or it's a prime number since Imp's are more chaotic?
two cards other than exorcist that give imps. swamps gift is only one of twelve boons - hard to empty the pile that way.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2022, 12:06:24 pm »

I think Imp is 13 rather than 12 because otherwise there would have been a blank. The flavor thing you mentioned is probably an added bonus.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2022, 12:06:59 pm »
+2

two cards other than exorcist that give imps. swamps gift is only one of twelve boons - hard to empty the pile that way.
I definitely had games where Swamp's Gift was set aside with Druid and the Will-o-Wisps emptied.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2022, 12:35:20 pm »
+1

those are the best games. Mass Will-o-wisp is so much fun

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2022, 12:35:39 pm »
+4

I sought out trying to create a boon that was a remodel variant because I saw that missing from the spirits. Except, the design ended up better with the Action card being a remodel variant.

Transfigure | Action | $4
Trash the top card of your deck. If it costs $4 or more, gain a Sprite.

Choose one: gain a card costing up to $2 more than the trashed card, or gain a card from the trash.

Sprite | Night - Spirit - Fate | $3*
Trash this.
-
When you trash this, if you haven't already trashed a Sprite this turn, take three boons. At the start of your next turn, receive them in any order.
(This is not in the Supply.)

There are 10 Sprites in the Supply.

I like the idea of this random remodeler. If it hits a high cost card, you get a Sprite, which is a card that likes to get trashed (synergy!) and also self-trashes... which Transfigure can recover from the trash!

Total open to feedback.

Some open design questions:
- Do I need to limit Sprite to once per turn? I want to avoid someone resolving more than 3 boons at the start of their turn, but is this necessary? It seems difficult to consistently recover Sprites from the trash (you have to have cards to transfigure into them, or get lucky with a Fortress at top of deck).
- Is the cost right for Transfigure? I think the randomness of top-deck, combined with the potential to gain Sprites makes this on-par with Remodel.
- It's important to me that Transfiguring Sprites doesn't gain more Sprites because that's just too wild. So the question here -- is Sprite appropriately priced for Exorcist? I believe so comparing it to Fool. If not, would it work to raise the Sprite gaining to $5? I am also thinking that Sprite might be sort of weak so it could cost less? Although I like that transfiguring it turns it into a $5, but it seems that someone would be very unlikely to exorcise a 4 cost to get it, so maybe it should cost $2. I do like costing it $3 so it can be hit by more opponent trashing attacks. Also, this is a great card to gain via exorcist because it is great food for exorcist, so I actually am settled on $3 being okay on Sprite right now. But you can tell I am conflicted.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 12:38:02 pm by anordinaryman »

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2022, 12:44:06 pm »
+2

My submission:

Quote from: Mischievous Fairies
Mischievous Fairies • $3* • Night - Reserve - Spirit
Put this on your Tavern mat. Set aside a non-Duration Action card you have in play.

At the start of your turn, you may call this to play the set-aside card.
Quote from: Fairy Ring
Fairy Ring • $4 • Action - Night
If it's your Night phase, gain an Action card onto your deck costing up to $1 per differently named card you have in play (counting this). Otherwise, gain a Mischievous Fairies.

My submission is Mischievous Fairies. A mix between Ghost and Way of the Turtle (with the Reserve mechanic mixed in), it sets aside an Action card already in play, and allows a player to play the card at the start of one of their turns. While it may offer slightly more control than Ghost (both allowing the choice of cards in play and the choice not to play it at the start of each turn), it has a greater chance of missing (if drawn with no Action cards) and only plays the set-aside card once, rather than twice. And while the Reserve mechanic's ability to hold the card back until it is needed is great for cards that want collisions (making it like WotT), each turn you wait keeps both cards out of your deck.

There are 17 copies of Mischievous Fairies.

To get Mischievous Fairies, I created Fairy Ring, a day/night gainer that can always get MF, but will (generally) cost an Action to do so. If you save it for your Night phase, it gains an Action from the Supply, and topdecks it, but only if you have enough differently-named cards. There are some neat synergies here, as you can first use FR to gain MF, then use both (if you have them together) to set up collisions.

EDIT:
Submission updated (on the advice of Gubump) to fix Mischievous Fairies so they don't set aside Duration cards (which has tracking issues, and also allows a player to play a single copy of Hireling multiple times).

Old Version
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 03:10:48 pm by emtzalex »
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2022, 12:51:39 pm »

My submission:

Put this on your Tavern mat. Set aside an Action card you have in play face up (on this).

Quote from: Fairy Ring
Fairy Ring • $4 • Action - Night
If it's your Night phase, gain an Action card onto your deck costing up to $1 per differently named card you have in play (counting this). Otherwise, gain a Mischievous Fairies.

My submission is Mischievous Fairies. A mix between Ghost and Way of the Turtle (with the Reserve mechanic mixed in), it sets aside an Action card already in play, and allows a player to play the card at the start of one of their turns. While it may offer slightly more control than Ghost (both allowing the choice of cards in play and the choice not to play it at the start of each turn), it has a greater chance of missing (if drawn with no Action cards) and only plays the set-aside card once, rather than twice. And while the Reserve mechanic's ability to hold the card back until it is needed is great for cards that want collisions (making it like WotT), each turn you wait keeps both cards out of your deck.

There are 17 copies of Mischievous Fairies.

To get Mischievous Fairies, I created Fairy Ring, a day/night gainer that can always get MF, but will (generally) cost an Action to do so. If you save it for your Night phase, it gains an Action from the Supply, and topdecks it, but only if you have enough differently-named cards. There are some neat synergies here, as you can first use FR to gain MF, then use both (if you have them together) to set up collisions.

Mischievous Fairies has issues with Duration cards. As worded, you can e.g. play a Hireling and then set it aside with MF in the same turn.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2022, 02:18:51 pm »
+1

the problem I see is that Transfigure can gain colonies from the trash

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2022, 03:12:48 pm »

Mischievous Fairies has issues with Duration cards. As worded, you can e.g. play a Hireling and then set it aside with MF in the same turn.

Thanks. I updated it so it no longer sets aside Durations. Here is the new version (also in my initial post):

Put this on your Tavern mat. Set aside a non-Duration Action card you have in play.

he/him/his

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2022, 03:39:12 pm »
+1

I think Imp is 13 rather than 12 because otherwise there would have been a blank. The flavor thing you mentioned is probably an added bonus.
i still don't get why he'd do that and not 13 hexes.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2022, 03:41:15 pm »

Distillery • $5 • Action
+3 Cards

Oh, spirit?
I think the 2nd sentence of Whisky should be "If you set aside two cards and neither was a Victory card". As it is, it's not clear whether you get the +1 Action if you don't set aside any cards (or only one). Also, it's like Island in that there's no way to get back the set-aside cards, right?
If you didn't set aside a victory card, (including if that means you didn't set aside a card at all) you get the +1 Action.

and yes, there's no way to get back the set aside cards, like island.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2022, 05:19:38 pm »
+2

i still don't get why he'd do that and not 13 hexes.

Oh man, I didn't even think of that during testing. I might have pushed for it, but honestly getting to 12 Hexes was hard enough.

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2022, 05:45:30 pm »
+1

Probably not to break the 12 Hexes 12 Boons symmetry? I dunno.
Bottom text

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2022, 05:58:33 pm »

the problem I see is that Transfigure can gain colonies from the trash

Hmm… with transfigure it’s hard to get colonies in the trash in the first place. You have to luckily have them on top of deck when you play it, and play a second transfigure.

But with salt the earth it becomes ridiculous. Upgrade, too, and rebuild.
Is this risk worth restricting it to not gaining victory cards? Or an odd less than $8 clause?
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 22 queries.