Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 54  All

Author Topic: M137: Hatchling Mafia (Game Over)  (Read 109077 times)

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
M137: Hatchling Mafia (Game Over)
« on: January 31, 2022, 09:50:58 pm »

Welcome to Hatchling Mafia

This is an invented Open Normal setup for 13 players.  The setup is described in the following post.

Player List:
1. MiX
2. Swowl
3. Galzria Jack Rudd
4. mathdude
5. EFHW
6. scolapasta
7. WestCoastDidds
8. jotheonah
9. faust
10. gkrieg13
11. infangthief
12. Dylan32
13. 2.71828.....

Game Tracker:
Day 1: Start 1 2 3 4 5 End
Day 2: Start 1 2 3 4 5 End
Day 3: Start 1 2 End
Day 4: Start 1 End

The Rules:

The Golden Rule:
This is a game. Everyone who signs up to play must be considerate of each other, never get personal, and focus on having fun. Once the game starts, having signed up is a commitment: inactivity is just as inconsiderate as rude comments.

The Standard Rules:
1. No communication between players outside of the game thread or shared QTs at any time. This includes passing references, jokes, or cases in other games or threads, whether in context or not.
2. If the game thread is locked, do not post. If you are unsure if something is locked, ask the mod by PM.
3. Direct or verbatim quoting of mod-provided information (including QT opening and closing times) is strictly forbidden. Paraphrasing is okay.
4. Actions with instructions that do not specify a game state will be resolved in the order they are received.
5. All night actions must be submitted within 36 hours of day ending.
6. Players must post once every 24 hours.
7. Do not edit or delete posts, ever. If you need to clarify or correct something, post again.
8. Invisible text, font size less than 10, and spoiler tags are not allowed.
9. Cryptography is not allowed.
10. The time between an exile being reached and a flip being provided is called twilight. All players may continue posting during this time, including the exiled player.
11. Dead players may not post in thread or QT, except their Role QT. An exiled player is not "dead" until a flip has been provided.
12. Personal multimedia, such as video or audio recordings, are not allowed in the game thread.

The Voting Rules:
1. Votes should be in this format: Vote: Playername. Unambiguous nicknames are acceptable, or any string that uniquely identifies a user. Note that the point of voting is, in fact, unambiguity, and attempting to make it unclear to other players (or, of course, mods) which user you are voting for is very ill-advised.
2. Unvotes should be in this format: unvote or Unvote: Playername.
3. Unvotes are not required if changing your vote from one player to another.
4. You may
vote: no exile.
5. Exiles occur when a simple majority (rounded up) of living players is reached. Once reached, an exile cannot be undone.
6. If a majority exile is not reached by the Day's deadline, a plurality exile takes place. If there is a tie, the player who has had that number of votes for the longest is exiled.

The Rest:
1. Bold, Lime Green text is reserved for the MODs. Players may not use it.
2. If you have an issue or problem with the game, please PM the Mod. Do not post complaints in the game thread.
3. Mods make mistakes - please point them out gently. If they can be corrected, they will. If irreversible, they will stand as final to be commiserated over after the game.
4. If a mod error disadvantages one faction greatly, the game may be called off.
5. Ask all questions and make all requests directly to the Mod via PM. Questions deemed as "universal" (defined as questions for which the answers should be available to all players) will be requested to be re-posted in the Game Thread and answered there.
6. Players may request prods on other players if they have not posted in 24 hours. Players are subject to replacement or modkill after one prod.
7. All rule violations will be dealt with according to their severity, as determined by the mod.
8. Each player will receive their own Discord channel, regardless of role. Don't quote from it.
9. If the game goes on for 3 days and 3 nights without an exile or nightkill, town wins.

Deadlines:
1. Days will last seven IRL days.
2. Nights will last 48 hours.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2022, 09:46:00 pm by J Reggie »

J Reggie

• Jester
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
Re: M137: Hatchling Mafia (signups)
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2022, 09:51:10 pm »

The Setup:

At the start of the game, each player is an unhatched egg.  What is inside that egg is determined at the start of the game but not told to the player.  When a player hatches, they will be told that they have hatched and what their role is. The following is a complete list of the roles inside the eggs:

Town roles:
Cop
Inverted cop
Weak doctor
Placebo doctor
1-shot double voter
1-shot vigilante
Hatcher
Tracker
Watcher
Tree stump

Mafia roles:
Role cop
Hatched cop
Roleblocker

Role Descriptions (important/unexpected clarifications in bold):

The cop and inverted cop will both only be told that they are a cop when they hatch. They will be given a result of either green or red upon investigating a player.
The weak doctor and placebo doctor will both only be told that they are a doctor when they hatch. If the placebo doctor saves a player, that player will die at the beginning of the following night, before hatching calculations.
The 1-shot double voter automatically uses their role the day that they hatch.
The 1-shot vigilante must use their shot the night that they hatch, but may choose not to shoot and instead give up their shot.
The hatcher targets one player each night.  If that player is not already hatched, they will hatch the following night.
The tracker and watcher will both only be told that they are a detective when they hatch.
The tree stump role will not be told that they have hatched until they die. When that player would die, they will be informed that they have hatched and will become a tree stump instead, still being able to post in the thread. Until they die, they continue to be a living player with the ability to vote.
The role cop always receives the role of the player they target, regardless of whether that player has hatched. The role cop may also target dead players. They will receive the exact role of the player they target.
The hatched cop targets one player each night and learns if that player is hatched or not, but not their role.
If the roleblocker blocks a passive role (double voter, tree stump), that role will not be able to use its power that night and the following day. This means that a double voter will only have a single vote if roleblocked and a tree stump will not be able to post in the thread if they die during that time.
The mafia investigative results are posted in the mafia thread; you do not have to set up a code. These results are posted regardless of whether that player died during the night.

So how do players hatch?

The Hatching Rules:

Each night, starting N1

(Conditions are evaluated and resolved sequentially.)

If less than 40% of town is hatched (percentages of town include living players and dead tree stumps) or there are more Mafia alive than hatched town:

• One town role hatches.

If less than 50% of town is hatched:
  • If no mafia roles are hatched, an additional one town role and one mafia role hatch.
  • Otherwise if there is an unhatched Mafia role, there is a chance, starting at 33% and increasing by 33% each night this condition is met until it succeeds, that one town role and one Mafia role will hatch. 

If at least 50% of town is hatched:
  • One Mafia role hatches

Night 1 only

• The N2 town hatch is chosen. If it is not investigative, there is a 50% chance it will hatch N1 instead. This means that if this player is killed N1 or exiled D2, there will be no N2 town hatch. If the N2 town hatch fails due to too many town being hatched, this choice is discarded.

(These percentages are subject to change before the game opens. I will post to let players know if that happens.)

Night Actions:

Night actions are due 12 hours before the start of the next day. When a player hatches, they will be informed at the beginning of the night. If they have a night action, they may use it that night. Please check your QT each night to confirm whether or not you have hatched.

Night action order:
Placebo doctor death (postponed from previous night)
Player targeted by Hatcher previous night hatches
Hatching calculations
Roleblocking
Saving roles and Hatcher
Killing roles
Investigative roles

Flips:

If a hatched player dies, they will flip as their role. If an unhatched player dies, they will flip as an unhatched egg (with alignment indicated). Role pairs (Cop/Inverted Cop etc.) only flip as the role they were told, not which one they are.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 10:24:08 am by J Reggie »

J Reggie

• Jester
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2022, 09:52:56 pm »

A few notes:

Since II's game is dead, I thought M137 would be the appropriate designation.

Going through the rules that have been copied from game to game, I found a typo and several uses of outdated terminology, which I have changed.

MiX

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: MiX
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2022, 10:24:32 pm »

/in

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Shuffle iT Username: Swowl
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2022, 10:39:21 pm »

Sweet /In sauce
Jesus how did i fuck that up
real good. That’s how
Town:  14 wins, 14 losses (1 MVP)
Skum: 7 wins, 7 losses (1 MVP)
3-Party: 4 wins, 1 loss

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2022, 11:14:16 pm »

I’m hatch/ing!
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

mathdude

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2022, 11:43:41 pm »

Hop/ing this starts up soon!
he/him

EFHW

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2022, 11:47:36 pm »

I need to break out of my shell! /in

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2022, 11:49:27 pm »

I need to break out of my shell! /in

I'll stay /in my shell, thank you very much.
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Shuffle iT Username: Swowl
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2022, 11:52:59 pm »

is there a baseline for hatches? or is it possible for no hatches to occur?
Jesus how did i fuck that up
real good. That’s how
Town:  14 wins, 14 losses (1 MVP)
Skum: 7 wins, 7 losses (1 MVP)
3-Party: 4 wins, 1 loss

J Reggie

• Jester
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2022, 11:55:54 pm »

is there a baseline for hatches? or is it possible for no hatches to occur?

Night 1, there are guaranteed to be at least 3 hatches. After that, it is possible for no players to hatch during a night.

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: WestCoastDidds
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2022, 08:44:28 am »

Hi J Reggie! It’s nice to meet you! /in
classic Diddsian meddling
I never got to read what Didds said, but whatever she's saying, she's right.

J Reggie

• Jester
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2022, 09:09:53 am »

Hi J Reggie! It’s nice to meet you! /in

Hi Didds! I could have sworn I was in your first game, but it looks like I was just in the speccy! Nice to formally meet you!

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2022, 10:00:41 am »

/in
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2022, 10:37:46 am »

/in

I have questions!

- I assume roles are usable on the Night that they are hatched?
- how do flips work? Specifically:
-- does a player's hatched/non-hatched status flip?
-- do unhatched roles flip?
-- does Cop sanity etc. flip?
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

J Reggie

• Jester
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2022, 11:21:18 am »

/in

I have questions!

- I assume roles are usable on the Night that they are hatched?
- how do flips work? Specifically:
-- does a player's hatched/non-hatched status flip?
-- do unhatched roles flip?
-- does Cop sanity etc. flip?

I was actually just working on the phrasing to clarify this. I will update the setup post soon.

J Reggie

• Jester
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2022, 12:11:09 pm »

The setup post has been updated with clarifications and tweaks to the percentages for hatching.

Also note that I have switched to using the term "inverted cop" to avoid using a derogatory term.  The role still works exactly the same: the cop receives an inverted result.

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2022, 12:37:37 pm »

/in

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2022, 12:41:35 pm »

So half of the town will never hatch?
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

J Reggie

• Jester
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2022, 12:55:49 pm »

So half of the town will never hatch?

Not necessarily.  If 50% of living town players (and dead tree stumps) are already hatched, there won't be any chance for an automatic town hatch that night.  But the Hatcher role can still hatch other players, and if hatched players die, the percentage is lowered and it could make way for more town players to hatch.  Keep in mind that it's not RMM; the chance that you will hatch during this game is on par with the chance that you would roll a PR in any given normal game.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2022, 12:59:48 pm »

How much of the swinginess of the game comes down to whether the hatcher hatches?

He/him

J Reggie

• Jester
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2022, 01:23:31 pm »

How much of the swinginess of the game comes down to whether the hatcher hatches?

The Hatcher is arguably town's strongest role; having it hatch early in the game can give town a nice head start on hatches.  But mafia gets compensation if town has a lot of hatched players, and more town won't hatch if the hatcher successfully hatches many townies.  Say 3 town roles hatch N1, including the Hatcher.  In a scenario where town is exiled D1 and D2, unhatched town dies N1, and the Hatcher targets town N1, that leaves us with 8 townies at the start of N2, 4 of whom are hatched.  Town won't get any more automatic hatches, but mafia will.  In testing, correct Hatcher targets really just mean that town gets its hatches sooner (which is good for town), but mafia gets more roles to counter those hatched roles.  Additionally, the Hatcher can target Mafia, which kind of negates that advantage to town.

Edit: on the flipside, if the hatcher never hatches, town will get more automatic hatches, it just happens a little slower.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 01:26:03 pm by J Reggie »

infangthief

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +10000 (I wish)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2022, 03:45:24 am »

/inzies

Is it 3 mafia 10 town?

infangthief

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +10000 (I wish)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2022, 03:47:22 am »

The following is a complete list of the roles inside the eggs:

Oh, I see, there is guaranteed to be exactly one of each of these roles in the game?

J Reggie

• Jester
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2022, 08:40:02 am »

The following is a complete list of the roles inside the eggs:

Oh, I see, there is guaranteed to be exactly one of each of these roles in the game?

Yes.

The setup post has been updated again with additional rules clarifications and one small change to the town hatch rule.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 54  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 19 queries.