Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #141: Seaside Revisited  (Read 10586 times)

exfret

• Thief
  • Respect: +112
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #141: Seaside Revisited
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2022, 02:15:36 pm »

You said I could design a revised card for seaside. Is this too similar? Should it be a "new" card?

I like this change to Pearl Diver, but yeah for the purposes of this contest, this feels a bit more like errata to an existing card than an original design. I'd encourage you to design something new, or if you want to riff on an old card, try for a full replacement card rather than minor revision.

Yeah I thought so. I was just being lazy lol.

exfret

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2022, 02:16:07 pm »
+1

I'd really like more cards that interact with the 3 mats of this game

The name Ferry is already taken by an official card:

Name change to Transport Ship

I'd try "cargo ship". It sounds nicer. :jester:

exfret

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2022, 02:29:33 pm »
+1

Okay, hopefully this version of Pearl Diver is good enough. (Yes, it's strictly better, but why does that matter when it's already so weak?)

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2022, 04:49:47 pm »
+7

I couldn't avoid the temptation of making my own replacement for Pearl Diver. Intrigue already had a Kingdom treasure (Harem), and Seaside could have one.

Pearl
$2 - Treasure
$1
Look at the bottom card of your deck. You may put it into your hand.

Fishing a Treasure is the best, and fishing a Victory card is OK. For Actions, it depends: unblocking for the next Pearl might be beneficial

exfret

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2022, 12:07:08 am »

I couldn't avoid the temptation of making my own replacement for Pearl Diver. Intrigue already had a Kingdom treasure (Harem), and Seaside could have one.

Pearl
$2 - Treasure
$1

Fishing a Treasure is the best, and fishing a Victory card is OK. For Actions, it depends: unblocking for the next Pearl might be beneficial

Next contest should be “fix pearl diver”.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2022, 06:35:16 am »

Pearl
$2 - Treasure
$1

I'm not convinced that this is going to be less of a dud than Pearl Diver.

It's best if you have a bunch of Treasures. But if you have a bunch of Treasures, usually you're going to have more than $2 to spend on a buy, and getting Pearl over Silver is a pretty hard sell. It might be fixed if you also had the option to put the card on top of your deck, to set up your next turn. However in engines, this will still suffer from the fact that it's useless if you draw your deck.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2022, 04:19:59 pm »
+1

replacing pship

Corsair • $4 • Action - Attack
Each other player reveals the top 2 cards of their deck and trashes a revealed Treasure of your choice (discard the rest).

You may trash a treasure from your hand to get +$1 per Copper in the trash.

Made some revisions

Corsair • $4 • Action - Attack - Duration
Each other player reveals the top 2 cards of their deck and trashes a revealed Treasure of your choice (discard the rest).

At the start of your next turn, you may trash a Treasure from your hand for +$1 per differently named Treasure in the trash.

Hopefully now it scales to player count a little cleaner than the old version, and its money doesn't go crazy like Old Pship (which was, admittedly, the best part of old pship)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2022, 04:21:01 pm by spineflu »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2022, 02:48:45 pm »
+3

« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 05:41:21 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2022, 03:47:00 pm »
+4

Lookout is one of my favorite cards, but Donald X has said it is likely to be replaced due to the fact beginners are scared to play and it and be punished. And lookout becomes terrible later (which I actually enjoy, but let's design a replacement)

Deck Officer | Action | $2
+1 Action

In either order: you may put a card from your hand onto your deck; and you may trash the top card of your deck.

Deck Officer can randomly trash from the top of your deck in the beginning of the game. In the mid-game, you can top deck the card you want to trash reducing your hand size, but hey, now you can trash the curse you have in hand. Note you can do these action in either order. So if you prefer to trash and then top-deck a card you can. Both clauses are may, so you can simply get +1 action from this and do nothing else.

This deals with Seasides top-decking theme. This is a card that trashes from the top but can also set up cards on the top. If you have a native village in hand you can trash the top card of your deck, then top-deck a card you want Native Village to secret away. Or maybe you want to set up your next turn with a spare village. I dunno, your choice!

Deck Officer is apparently the name of the person who keeps watch on the ship. Kind of like a lookout. Of course it doesn't churn through as many cards as lookout so that's my justification for pricing it at 2.

Open to feedback!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 03:59:17 pm by anordinaryman »

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2022, 04:32:50 pm »

I like it but it is far more swingy than Lookout. You don’t want to topdeck anything early so if you hit a good card it is like a Knight attacks plus a failed trashing attempt.

But if you're scared of this early you can always do the order "top deck a card, trash the top card of your deck" which turns the card into essentially +1 Action, trash a card from your hand."

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2022, 05:02:46 pm »
+2

I like it but it is far more swingy than Lookout. You don’t want to topdeck anything early so if you hit a good card it is like a Knight attacks plus a failed trashing attempt.

But if you're scared of this early you can always do the order "top deck a card, trash the top card of your deck" which turns the card into essentially +1 Action, trash a card from your hand."

That's pretty terrible considering that Raze also costs .
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

arowdok

• Spy
  • Respect: +129
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2022, 05:13:47 pm »

I am confused when it says "put this into your hand." is it saying put Reconstruct into your hand or the newly gained card into your hand?

Also the when gain clause is a downside right? to delay getting this card for quite awhile

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2022, 05:16:45 pm »
+2

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2022, 05:19:02 pm »
+1

"When you gain this, set it aside. Discard it after you next shuffle."

Does that fit better?

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2022, 05:33:58 pm »

I am confused when it says "put this into your hand." is it saying put Reconstruct into your hand or the newly gained card into your hand?

Also the when gain clause is a downside right? to delay getting this card for quite awhile

For one thing, I would've said "put it into your hand" if I was referring to anything but the Reconstruct itself, among other wording changes. "This" always refers to the card whose text it's part of. And yes, the on-gain is a downside.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 05:38:50 pm by Gubump »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2022, 05:41:38 pm »

"When you gain this, set it aside. Discard it after you next shuffle."

Does that fit better?

Yes, it does. Thanks.

arowdok

• Spy
  • Respect: +129
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2022, 07:29:57 pm »
+1

For one thing, I would've said "put it into your hand" if I was referring to anything but the Reconstruct itself, among other wording changes. "This" always refers to the card whose text it's part of. And yes, the on-gain is a downside.

So Reconstruct is basically every turn after you play the 1st one, get a free remodel? (assuming you have an action left over to play Reconstruct each turn)
The flavor could be adjusted to imply a more forever/eternal/never-ending process, and be more ocean theme for this contest. Maybe even make a reference to The Ship of Theseus, or any boat under constant maintenance.
Also am not convinced this is not just a project in a trench coat.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2022, 07:56:50 pm »

So Reconstruct is basically every turn after you play the 1st one, get a free remodel? (assuming you have an action left over to play Reconstruct each turn)
The flavor could be adjusted to imply a more forever/eternal/never-ending process, and be more ocean theme for this contest. Maybe even make a reference to The Ship of Theseus, or any boat under constant maintenance.

Needing to spend Actions to keep it going makes it not implementable as a Project.

nyxfulloftricks

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2022, 09:25:44 pm »
+2

Kraken
$5
Action - Attack - Duration
Each other player reveals the top 2 cards of their deck, trashes an action card, and discards the rest.
At the start of your next turn, choose one: +$2; or gain a card from the trash to your hand.

Looking at Seaside, I noticed many action - attacks, and action - durations, so I really wanted to combine the two. With the set having a few different trashers already, I thought it would be fun to have a card that interacts with the trash as do similar cards (Necromancer, The Key-Treasurer, Rogue, Bandit). I tend to find those cards quite fun to play giving that different axis to interact with. My reasoning for having a card that trashes only actions is that the other attack trashers tend to focus on trashing treasures, and I would like a strategy that messes more with mega action chain. I find that with Seaside having lighthouse, the attack portion of the card can be blocked for those that feel the attack is too strong.

nyxfulloftricks

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2022, 09:29:38 pm »

Needing to spend Actions to keep it going makes it not implementable as a Project.

I think that what they are saying is this card would be better adjusted to being a project than how it is functioning as a duration?

nyxfulloftricks

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2022, 09:35:36 pm »
+1

Lookout is one of my favorite cards, but Donald X has said it is likely to be replaced due to the fact beginners are scared to play and it and be punished. And lookout becomes terrible later (which I actually enjoy, but let's design a replacement)

Deck Officer | Action | $2
+1 Action

In either order: you may put a card from your hand onto your deck; and you may trash the top card of your deck.

Deck Officer can randomly trash from the top of your deck in the beginning of the game. In the mid-game, you can top deck the card you want to trash reducing your hand size, but hey, now you can trash the curse you have in hand. Note you can do these action in either order. So if you prefer to trash and then top-deck a card you can. Both clauses are may, so you can simply get +1 action from this and do nothing else.

This deals with Seasides top-decking theme. This is a card that trashes from the top but can also set up cards on the top. If you have a native village in hand you can trash the top card of your deck, then top-deck a card you want Native Village to secret away. Or maybe you want to set up your next turn with a spare village. I dunno, your choice!

Deck Officer is apparently the name of the person who keeps watch on the ship. Kind of like a lookout. Of course it doesn't churn through as many cards as lookout so that's my justification for pricing it at 2.

Open to feedback!
First off, I love this design, but I do feel it is a bit strong at $2. I would either bump it up to $3, or just make it a terminal.

nyxfulloftricks

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2022, 09:41:06 pm »

Pearl
$2 - Treasure
$1

I'm not convinced that this is going to be less of a dud than Pearl Diver.

It's best if you have a bunch of Treasures. But if you have a bunch of Treasures, usually you're going to have more than $2 to spend on a buy, and getting Pearl over Silver is a pretty hard sell. It might be fixed if you also had the option to put the card on top of your deck, to set up your next turn. However in engines, this will still suffer from the fact that it's useless if you draw your deck.

I honestly think this card is amazing...as an heirloom, which I know doesn't help replace pearl diver.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3189
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2022, 08:17:43 am »
+1

I agree but also the image is super dope

nyxfulloftricks

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 04, 2022, 12:33:16 pm »

Kraken
$5
Action - Attack - Duration
Each other player reveals the top 2 cards of their deck, trashes an action card, and discards the rest.
At the start of your next turn, choose one: +$2; or gain a card from the trash to your hand.
I like cards that slightly buff money and while I like that can you can hedge yourself against this via playing money, it is too centralizing.
In money Kingdoms the dominant strategy is to ignore Kraken, in engine Kingdoms this is a nastier Knight Attack with an automatic Rogue.

Even wihout the handgaining this could be too degenerating.

I agree that it could be strong, but with it being a duration card, it won't come up as often as a Knight would was my thought. I do think it would be fun though. I had considered adjusting cost or adding a cost limit on what it could grab from the trash.

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 04, 2022, 12:51:08 pm »

I'm a little late posting this, but:

24 HOUR WARNING

Also, I've started compiling the list of entries in the OP. Please make sure I've got your card (and its most recent iteration). Let me know if I'm missing anything!

I'll close for submissions tomorrow and will post results a day after that.   
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.