Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #141: Seaside Revisited  (Read 10592 times)

Lackar

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #141: Seaside Revisited
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2022, 10:46:46 pm »

Ship Market
$6
Action - Duration
+1 Card
+1 Action
+Buy
+ $1
At the start of your next turn:
+Buy
+ $2

This card is way too good atm, it provides a grand market in t1 and t2, but is cheaper than it.
This really needs to be nerfed, because it provides a value of 7$ twice, at the cost of 6$.
I wouldn't say you get it twice. T1 you get the top part and T2 you get something different.
Differently? You literally got Grand Market again. You always gotta look at the net effects and the second turn effect doesn’t require a card to draw or an Action to spend.

So what do you think about:
+1 Card
+1 Card
+Buy
+ $1
At the start of your next turn:
+Buy
+ $2
Well, unless you draw your hand every turn this version is likely still better than GM.
So still overpowered. Grand Market works because of its non-Copper clause and likely would not work well at $7 or $8.
I will scrap this idea and see if something else comes up.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2022, 10:54:40 pm »
+5

Quote from: Admiral
Admiral
Cost: 5
Action - Duration

+1 Action
Now and at the start of your next turn:
+1 Card +1 Action +1 Buy
I would say this is probably very weak. It only nets +1 Action and +1 Buy, so it is pretty comparable to Worker's Village, except it gives the bonus next turn. I think it could probably cost 3 or 4

I think you misread it. "Now and at the start of your next turn." It's a Worker's Village now and a Lost City + Buy next turn. If anything, I think it's too good.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 10:56:49 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

BBobb

• Moneylender
  • My brother says thief is amazing.
  • Respect: +138
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2022, 12:43:46 am »
+1

Quote from: Admiral
Admiral
Cost: 5
Action - Duration

+1 Action
Now and at the start of your next turn:
+1 Card +1 Action +1 Buy
I would say this is probably very weak. It only nets +1 Action and +1 Buy, so it is pretty comparable to Worker's Village, except it gives the bonus next turn. I think it could probably cost 3 or 4

I think you misread it. "Now and at the start of your next turn." It's a Worker's Village now and a Lost City + Buy next turn. If anything, I think it's too good.
Yep, completely misread it. As you said, probably too good.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3191
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2022, 10:53:08 am »

1 Action on T2 weaker than playing Captain on Worker's Village.

Erick648

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +628
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2022, 02:31:57 pm »
+2

Fortune Seekers
$2 Action - Duration
The player to your left chooses one for you to receive: +2 Cards; +1 Card and +1 Action; +$2.
If you have at least 2 other copies of this in play, trash this and gain a non-Victory card to your hand.  Otherwise, at the start of your next turn, +1 Action and +1 Buy.

Notes: An upgrade of Treasure Map designed to be less swingy in a number of ways. First, it takes advantage of the Duration mechanic to require you to draw three copies in two turns rather than two copies in one turn.  Second, it's not dead when you don't upgrade it, just a bit weak.  Finally, it only lets you trash one copy for one reward at a time.  This last one wasn't entirely intentional - having it be a Duration meant I couldn't trash the copies already in play without creating tracking issues (which already happens, but seemed too difficult for an early expansion like Seaside) or using awkward language like "At the start of your next turn, if this is still in play..."

The on-play effect is designed to mimic "following the map."  While the options may look strong (and any one of them would likely make the card too strong if it was a fixed effect instead of at the mercy of your opponent), your opponent should usually be able to find something that isn't that helpful---there's a reason Advisor is much weaker than Laboratory.  Earlier versions were a Command "Your opponent chooses a non-Command Action card from the Supply for you to play, leaving it there," which was too swingy and potentially complex, and a Pawn chosen by your opponent, but then I decided to narrow it to the three generic benefits that cards often get in addition to their more unique effects: minimal terminal draw, cantrip, and terminal Silver.

The +1 Action is to guarantee that it's never impossible to get three copies in play (barring edge cases like Black Market): If nothing else you can play one copy on one turn and two on the next.  The +1 Buy is to make it easier to buy more Fortune Seekers, and because Seaside generally has too many cheap cards and not enough +Buys for them (just Scavenger, which doesn't increase your deck size, Tactician, which normally doesn't net you buys because it costs you the ability to buy anything useful the turn you play it, Wharf, and arguably Outpost).  The fact that it can gain cards other than Gold is just for fun, flexibility, and uniqueness.

As a bonus, here's a tokenless Embargo-Haven mashup that I didn't think was original enough to use as an entry but wanted to share anyway:

Monopoly
$3 Action - Attack - Duration
+$2
Set aside a card from your hand face-up.  At the start of your next turn, put it into your hand.
When any other player buys a copy of the card set aside here, they gain a Curse.
Duplicate duplicates Duplicates duplicate Duplicates duplicate.

Rene Descartes taught me to believe in myself.

How much Loot could a Looter loot if a Looter could loot Loot?

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2022, 05:27:30 pm »
+8

Treasure Ship - $5
Treasure - Duration
$2
At the start of your next turn, +1 Buy and +$1.

A simple Treasure Duration that is intended to kinda do what Merchant Ship does, only as a Treasure. I had it give $2 on the following turn without the +Buy, but that seemed a bit too good. Not sure if it is priced appropriately. Feedback is appreciated.

Xen3k

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2022, 05:50:03 pm »

I think it is fine but also a bit on the weak side compared to other Silvers that provide Buys. You can run one Charm in an engine but need two Treasure Ships to consistently get the extra Buy.

Do you think the power level is at all improved if I swap the delayed +$1 for a +$2 and make the on play reward only +$1?

Lackar

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2022, 07:00:51 pm »

New submission:
Buried Treasure
$6 Action - treasure
+1 Card
+1 Buy
+ $1
-
When you play this, during your buy phase put a Treasure card from your hand on your Island mat (or reveal you can't). Worth $1 per Treasure card on your Island map.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 01:41:59 pm by Lackar »

Xen3k

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2022, 07:23:54 pm »

New submission:
Buried Treasure
$6 Action - treasure
+1 Card
+1 Buy
+ $1
Put a Treasure card from your hand on your Island mat. Worth $1 per Treasure card on your Island map.

A couple things. Putting treasure onto the Island mat has an accountability issue as is. Either making it a "you may" or adding a clause to "or reveal you can't" should resolve that. Secondly, right now there is no real reason to play this as an action except for the possibility of drawing an Action card. Hope that helps.

Lackar

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2022, 08:03:05 pm »
+1

New submission:
Buried Treasure
$6 Action - treasure
+1 Card
+1 Buy
+ $1
Put a Treasure card from your hand on your Island mat. Worth $1 per Treasure card on your Island map.

A couple things. Putting treasure onto the Island mat has an accountability issue as is. Either making it a "you may" or adding a clause to "or reveal you can't" should resolve that. Secondly, right now there is no real reason to play this as an action except for the possibility of drawing an Action card. Hope that helps.
The action is the +1 Card and to put a treasure card on the Island Mat. Unless I am missing what you are meaning. I also didn't want to add +1 Action as i think it may make it too powerful. I did add the (or reveal you can't) as I missed that part. But this is just an idea and always listening to comments to make sure it fits the theme and makes sense to the game.

jakav

• Baron
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2022, 08:18:29 pm »
+2

Treasure Ship - $5
Treasure - Duration
$2
At the start of your next turn, +1 Buy and +$1.

A simple Treasure Duration that is intended to kinda do what Merchant Ship does, only as a Treasure. I had it give $2 on the following turn without the +Buy, but that seemed a bit too good. Not sure if it is priced appropriately. Feedback is appreciated.

I think it's fine. It nets more than a gold, at a 5 cost. It only works because it is less good in engines when you are drawing your deck, and because it delays the rest of the money. This is a powerful card for money strategies, it's a lot better than a silver.
--Jakav--

(Why shouldn't signatures be like the above?)

Xen3k

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2022, 08:32:18 pm »

New submission:
Buried Treasure
$6 Action - treasure
+1 Card
+1 Buy
+ $1

The action is the +1 Card and to put a treasure card on the Island Mat. Unless I am missing what you are meaning. I also didn't want to add +1 Action as i think it may make it too powerful. I did add the (or reveal you can't) as I missed that part. But this is just an idea and always listening to comments to make sure it fits the theme and makes sense to the game.

As written, it appears to all happen regardless of phase as none of it is conditional. See Crown for example.

jakav

• Baron
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2022, 08:53:01 pm »

New submission:
Buried Treasure
$6 Action - treasure
+1 Card
+1 Buy
+ $1

It does work like this, right?

Play as action: +1 Card, +1 Action, +1 Buy, put treasure on island mat

Play as treasure: +1 Money per treasure on island mat.

Since you are adding the "or reveal that you can't" it seems like a good submission to me.
--Jakav--

(Why shouldn't signatures be like the above?)

Lackar

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2022, 08:56:05 pm »

New submission:
Buried Treasure
$6 Action - treasure
+1 Card
+1 Buy
+ $1

As written, it appears to all happen regardless of phase as none of it is conditional. See Crown for example.
I see what you are saying. So how about
+1 Card
+1 Buy
+ $1
-
When you play this, during your buy phase put a Treasure card from your hand on your Island mat. Worth $1 per Treasure card on your Island map.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2022, 10:07:09 pm »

+1 Card
+1 Buy
+ $1
-
When you play this, during your buy phase put a Treasure card from your hand on your Island mat. Worth $1 per Treasure card on your Island map.
But why do you have +$1 and +$1 per Treasure card on your Island Mat? I think you should cut the +$1. Why not just make it a Treasure instead of an Action-Treasure?

Joxeft

• Bishop
  • Respect: +103
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2022, 10:28:39 pm »

Quote from: Skipper
Skipper
Cost: 6
Action - Duration

+1 Action
At the start of your next turn +2 Cards.
-
While this is in play on your turn, cards (everywhere) cost $1 less but not less than $0.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 08:12:12 pm by Joxeft »

mathdude

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2022, 11:34:17 pm »
+7

Quote from: Skipper
Skipper
Cost: 6
Action - Duration

+1 Action
At the start of your next turn +2 Cards.
-
While this is in play, cards (everywhere) cost $1 less but not less than $0.

I'm assuming you don't intend for this card to benefit others as well.  You probably want to add somewhere a clause about "on your turn".
he/him

Lackar

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2022, 09:54:57 am »

+1 Card
+1 Buy
+ $1
-
But why do you have +$1 and +$1 per Treasure card on your Island Mat? I think you should cut the +$1. Why not just make it a Treasure instead of an Action-Treasure?
I was trying to design a $6 card since Seaside doesn't have one and I kinda liked the idea since my first thoughts didn't work out too well and was too powerful.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 12:36:56 pm by Lackar »

exfret

• Thief
  • Respect: +112
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2022, 02:51:09 pm »
+3

You said I could design a revised card for seaside. Is this too similar? Should it be a "new" card?

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2022, 02:56:46 pm »

You said I could design a revised card for seaside. Is this too similar? Should it be a "new" card?

What about this?

he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2022, 07:04:45 pm »
+4

Architeuthis
$6 - Treasure - Duration
+$2
At the start of your next turn, +2 cards.

A Silver + delayed lab.
Couldn't decide at first whether this should cost $5 or $6, but I thought of Den of Sin, and I think this needs to be $6.
PS: Architeuthis means Giant Squid.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 07:09:14 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2022, 09:29:09 pm »
+1

I like this change to Pearl Diver, but yeah for the purposes of this contest, this feels a bit more like errata to an existing card than an original design. I'd encourage you to design something new, or if you want to riff on an old card, try for a full replacement card rather than minor revision.

CaptainReklaw

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2022, 03:35:44 am »
+2

I'd really like more cards that interact with the 3 mats of this game

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2022, 11:14:02 am »
+5

The name Ferry is already taken by an official card:
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

CaptainReklaw

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2022, 01:41:44 pm »
+1

The name Ferry is already taken by an official card:

Name change to Transport Ship

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 21 queries.