Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Seriously powerful kingdom... did we play this right?  (Read 2265 times)

Asklepios

• Duke
  • Respect: +117
    • View Profile
Seriously powerful kingdom... did we play this right?
« on: March 30, 2012, 03:09:47 pm »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/30/game-20120330-120610-000589c6.html

I SCRAPED a win here, and it really could have gone either way.

My opponent went fishing village, watchtower, money, apprentice hit platinum first and I thought I was in serious trouble

I mixed it up a bit, with horse trader for extra buys, and menagerie mixed in, and a generally more complex engine. All in all though, I was very very lucky to win.

I'm curious to know how higher ranked players would have played this board, as I have absolutely no idea what would have been optimal here.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
Re: Seriously powerful kingdom... did we play this right?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 03:21:49 pm »

I'd recommend going for a more Menagerie fueled engine.  The Horse Traders/Fishing Village/Watchtower combo looks very appealing on paper, but it to pull it off successfully and have an extra action after playing Watchtower, you need to start with at least  3+ actions.  Fishing Village/Horse Traders/Menagerie will be much easier and more reliable.

I'd probably try to play a game with only 1 Gold/Platinum as to not screw up the menagerie, and then just run with the engine components while throwing in a few Monuments for VP support.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

tko

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 03:23:43 pm »

I think that powerful draw engine your opponent had required some +buy.  For example, the 2nd Apprentice on Turn 7 was instead a Horse Traders, more engine components could have been purchased to keep those fruitful turns going.

Plus, you're Monument gave you an advantage for when the race for Colonies split evenly.  I think your Menagerie is OK in your deck and don't see any Fancy Play Syndrome issues with your buys.

Tahtweasel

• Navigator
  • Respect: +36
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 03:48:39 pm »

I'd recommend going for a more Menagerie fueled engine.  The Horse Traders/Fishing Village/Watchtower combo looks very appealing on paper, but it to pull it off successfully and have an extra action after playing Watchtower, you need to start with at least  3+ actions.  Fishing Village/Horse Traders/Menagerie will be much easier and more reliable.

I'd probably try to play a game with only 1 Gold/Platinum as to not screw up the menagerie, and then just run with the engine components while throwing in a few Monuments for VP support.
Agreed 100%. Monument is spectacularly strong with Fishing Village and Menagerie.

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
  • First to 5000 Isotropic wins
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 04:39:26 pm »

But weak in a Colony game.
Jake <a href=http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/17/game-20120317-030206-6456f97c.html>opening: opening: Silver / Jack of All Trades</a>
<b>IsoDom1 Winner:  shark_bait
IsoDom2 Winner: Rabid
Isodom3 Winner: Fabian</b>
Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatári, Utúlie'n auré!

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 07:14:53 pm »

I think there's a good opportunity for apprentice + mint here, better than fiddling around with the little stuff.

Asklepios

• Duke
  • Respect: +117
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 12:34:32 pm »

But weak in a Colony game.

I admit, I was unsure whether getting the Monument was worthwhile. On the one hand, I knew I'd probably have the actions to spare for it, and that it would help hit the menagerie activations. On the other, as you say, its a weak card for colony games. All in all, glad I took it.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.