Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #140: Choose Three  (Read 9830 times)

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #140: Choose Three
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2022, 04:33:37 pm »
+2

Cleanse
Event
6 Debt

Look through your discard pile. Choose three (you may choose the same option more than once): trash a card from your hand or discard pile; exile a card from your hand or discard pile; put a card from your hand or discard pile on top of your deck.

My thoughts
- An event that helps clean up your deck and/or set up your next turn.
- I wanted to do something completely different from the powered up Pawn variant which was my first reaction to reading the theme. Besides I had already entered a suped-up Pawn variant in a recent contest anyway.
- I did consider also allowing trashing, exiling and topdecking of cards you have in play but decided not to as it is very wordy anyway.
- I am aware this can have the effect of allowing a player to topdeck cards they gained or bought earlier in the turn and I think this is fine.
- I found pricing this difficult. The only other event that is comparable is Bonfire and it clearly has to be more than that.

Edit - Price increase following feedback.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 07:46:25 am by xyz123 »

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2022, 04:39:24 pm »
+1

OK, here's my entry - definitely feels like a v0.1 as there are several things I'm unsure of. But I want to get it posted asap, in order to get some feedback, as I like the general idea.

Informant - Action - Reserve - $4

The player to your left chooses three (for you): +1 Villager; +1 Coffers; gain a Horse; put this on your Tavern mat. The choices must be different.
-
At the start of your buy phase, you may call this for +1 Buy.

OK, so the general idea is to let your opponent choose 3 options for you. I'm willing to consider changing the ones there, but I did
like the idea of making them Market-like; though I switched from Action, Card, $1, etc to Villager, Coffers, Horse, etc. so that if those options were chosen they could still help you. And since there's currently no "buy tokens" I used the reserve aspect to simulate that (I've had at least one other card like that, Gondolier).

Of course doing that (the reserve part) makes it necessary to make all choices different. I would've preferred to allow for the same. If I wanted to introduce Buy tokens (+1 Buyer?) then I could change that up. That also could resolve the fact that this card might sit in reserve for a while (i.e. this choice is one the player to your left while likely often choose) - I could make it +2 Buys or +1 Buy, +$1 to make that one stronger?

Otherwise what do you all think?

(The other thing I'm unsure of is the name / theme - not 100% sure Informant fits for this, but it needed some kind of name that involved interacting with others)

Maybe do +1 Buy and cost reduction? Or have it give you a choice - call it at the start of turn for cost reduction, at buy phase for +1 Buy?

Also themewise, maybe "Stores"/"larder"/"pantry", as in where one stockpiles excess?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 04:50:44 pm by spineflu »

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2022, 04:57:32 pm »
+1

Cleanse
Event
$4

Look through your discard pile. Choose three (you may choose the same option more than once): trash a card from your hand or discard pile; exile a card from your hand or discard pile; put a card from your hand or discard pile on top of your deck.

On a 3/4 opening, you can exile all three Estates on turn 2. That's far stronger than Banish, and using a $4 hand to Banish an Estate in the opening is already often a reasonable play.

xyz123

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2022, 05:09:19 pm »

Cleanse
Event
$4

On a 3/4 opening, you can exile all three Estates on turn 2. That's far stronger than Banish, and using a $4 hand to Banish an Estate in the opening is already often a reasonable play.

Thanks. I didn't think of that. I will up the cost.

The Alchemist

• Golem
  • Respect: +214
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2022, 05:13:38 pm »
+4

Oh sweet, I just so happened to have just the card:

Town Hall:
You're the mayor and lucky for you a lot of decisions need to be made with this duration card. Like Count, choose some harmful effects and then you get to choose some great effects next turn. Tough choice between completely ending your current turn by discarding or topdecking everything, or gaining some junk to topdeck and trash the next turn with one of your bonuses. But your town will appreciate the investment by giving returns 3-fold! Literally!

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2022, 06:36:02 am »
+2

Cleanse
Event
$4

Thanks. I didn't think of that. I will up the cost.

At $5, this will give a big advantage to a player opening 2/5 (in that order), as you can then exile all 3 Estates on turn 2, but the other players can't exile anything on their first shuffle. IMO it's stronger than buying an overpaid Doctor in that situation.

I would suggest a debt price to reduce opening luck, e.g. 5 or 6 debt. (It's still clearly weaker than Donate at 8 debt.)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 06:38:54 am by Holger »

xyz123

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2022, 07:46:11 am »
+1

At $5, this will give a big advantage to a player opening 2/5 (in that order), as you can then exile all 3 Estates on turn 2, but the other players can't exile anything on their first shuffle. IMO it's stronger than buying an overpaid Doctor in that situation.

I would suggest a debt price to reduce opening luck, e.g. 5 or 6 debt. (It's still clearly weaker than Donate at 8 debt.)

Thanks for the feedback. That makes sense.

Lackar

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2022, 10:30:03 am »

Let me know your thoughts

« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 10:34:53 am by Lackar »

AJL828

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJL828
  • Respect: +394
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2022, 10:40:58 am »

This looks potentially more frustrating than Mountebank at first glance, you get to junk your opponent twice while also scoring a bit and trashing a copper of your own (also your card needs to say where the copper is being trashed from, I’m assuming it’s your hand).
I think this would favour a 5/2 opening way too much.
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2022, 01:18:04 pm »
+1

Is it legal to allow the player to choose one option from the list, then choose another, then choose a third? Meaning they get to resolve each before choosing the next one?

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2022, 01:38:00 pm »
+1

Is it legal to allow the player to choose one option from the list, then choose another, then choose a third? Meaning they get to resolve each before choosing the next one?

Yes. As long as they are ultimately choosing 3 things from a single list, you can have each effect resolve before the next choice.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

nyxfulloftricks

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2022, 02:06:28 pm »

Ignoring contest rule issues, this is better than Village plus DoublePeddler which is similar in power level to Grand Market and thus seriously underpriced / overpowered.

Looking at grand market, I think at face value what the card does is comparable to Grand Market, but I had not considered the restriction Grand Market has to buy. I think costing it at a higher value makes sense. I appreciate the feedback thank you!

arowdok

• Spy
  • Respect: +129
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2022, 03:20:38 pm »
+3

So I hear you want 3s, so I made a 3 and added a side of 3 and topped it with a 3. I was not satisfied so put more 3s on your 3s then added a few more 3s and just for good measure shoved in some extra 3s for you.

**Updated Version**v1.3

Tres Leches
$3@3
Victory
Worth 3% if you have exactly three of this (otherwise worth 0%).
-
When you gain this, choose three: +3 Coffers; or +3 Villagers; or Queue the top three cards of your deck; or gain three Horses; or gain three Spoils; or trash up to three cards from your hand. The choices must be different.

A shifted version based on JW's and Meta's feedback.
I removed what seemed to be the most broken mode, Queue Silvers from the Supply, which I had dramatically undervalued the bonus of gain $2 for the next two three turns, even if it does not stack with extra copies and clutters your deck with silvers and a green card, was not enough of a downside early game for the surge of power.
I also removed the Quest mode, Exile three Golds from the supply, as it seemed too strong, boring, and narrow to play. So I gave the card a strong trashing effect, which is harder to fully utilized early game and unlike the other modes does not help pay off the debt you get from buying this card.

Old Version

Also an easy reminder for Queue rules
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=20894.msg875641#msg875641

Also these are not my submissions but I wanted feedback from others on at least the templating differences of +$1 being in line with text or above.

Polygranites
$5
Treasure
When you play this, +$1 and choose one: +1 Buy; or +1 Coffers; or +1 Villager; or +1%; or gain a Spoils; or gain a Horse.
-
When you gain this, choose three from the list above. The choices must be different.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 03:17:16 pm by arowdok »

Lackar

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2022, 03:54:26 pm »

This looks potentially more frustrating than Mountebank at first glance, you get to junk your opponent twice while also scoring a bit and trashing a copper of your own (also your card needs to say where the copper is being trashed from, I’m assuming it’s your hand).
I think this would favour a 5/2 opening way too much.
Does this seem not as aggressive and priced right?

jakav

• Baron
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2022, 06:44:17 pm »
+2

Quote from: Yacht

Yacht
Action
Cost: $5

Choose Three:
Gain a card costing up to $2; +1 Card; +$1.
The choices may be the same.

Yacht is a Smithy variant with significant piling power, money generation, and flexibility. It can be used in nearly all decks, and provides a good reason to hit 5 early. There are synergies with Capitalism, remodelers, and rush strategies.

Feedback is appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 08:57:32 pm by jakav »
--Jakav--

(Why shouldn't signatures be like the above?)

Meta

• Baron
  • Respect: +60
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2022, 06:49:18 pm »

Tbh I think it's kinda weak now. E.g, why would you want to use an action to trash a single copper, if every other player also gets to trash a card, and I also don't see how the +1 Card option is ever going to get chosen, unless you don't have a copper you want to trash.
Imo replacing +1Card with +1 buy or +2 crads might be better, alltgough +2 cards could be a little bit strong.
I like the extend use of Victory tokens in this newer Version, but other than that I don't really see a use for this card, because it can't thin your deck (and even helps your opponents), nor does it actually harm your opponents.
As it stands right now the play is probably to hope someone else buys it, that way you get to thin your deck a little, and spend your 5$ on more worthwile cards.

And btw I would put a "+" infront of the coin and victory token, and add the Doom typing to the card.

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2022, 07:05:18 pm »
+1

Tres Leches
$3@3
Victory
-
When you gain this, choose three: +3 Coffers; or +3 Villagers; or Exile three Golds from the Supply; or Queue three Slivers from the Supply; or gain three Horses; or gain three Spoils. The choices must be different.

Also an easy reminder for Queue rules
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=20894.msg875641#msg875641

This looks way too strong. On most boards, the best choice is probably to open three of these choosing +3 Coffers, Queue 3 Silvers, and (likely) Gain 3 Spoils each time, then start buying Provinces most turns.

Meta

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2022, 07:06:10 pm »
+3

So I hear you want 3s, so I made a 3 and added a side of 3 and topped it with a 3. I was not satisfied so put more 3s on your 3s then added a few more 3s and just for good measure shoved in some extra 3s for you.

Tres Leches
$3@3
Victory
-
When you gain this, choose three: +3 Coffers; or +3 Villagers; or Exile three Golds from the Supply; or Queue three Slivers from the Supply; or gain three Horses; or gain three Spoils. The choices must be different.

I really like your submission, but I feel it's kind of too good. Especially if you buy this turn 1, there is a high likelyhood of you ending up with 4 golds in your deck by turn 3/4 (by queuing silver, gaining spoils, exiling gold, then buying gold). Which forces everyone to pursue the same strategy, as having that much buying power this early on is just too much of an advantage
Imo you should lower the T1 buying incentive by either only being able to exile a dingle Gold, or just removing that option outright to stick with the "3" Theme.

Polygranites
$5
Treasure
When you play this, +$1 and choose one: +1 Buy; or +1 Coffers; or +1 Villager; or +1%; or gain a Spoils; or gain a Horse.
-
When you gain this, choose three from the list above. The choices must be different.

I would go with the one on the left, it just feels kind of wrong to see +$ on a treasure card.

Lackar

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2022, 07:27:06 pm »

Tbh I think it's kinda weak now. E.g, why would you want to use an action to trash a single copper, if every other player also gets to trash a card, and I also don't see how the +1 Card option is ever going to get chosen, unless you don't have a copper you want to trash.
Imo replacing +1Card with +1 buy or +2 crads might be better, alltgough +2 cards could be a little bit strong.
I like the extend use of Victory tokens in this newer Version, but other than that I don't really see a use for this card, because it can't thin your deck (and even helps your opponents), nor does it actually harm your opponents.
As it stands right now the play is probably to hope someone else buys it, that way you get to thin your deck a little, and spend your 5$ on more worthwile cards.

And btw I would put a "+" infront of the coin and victory token, and add the Doom typing to the card.
I was going off the original Bishop and it lets the other players trash a card also. The older version was too aggressive as there was 2 attacks in the card. I will see what I can come up with to modify it.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 02:02:31 pm by Lackar »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2022, 07:28:17 pm »
+4

Quote from: Cargo Ship

Cargo Ship
Action
Cost: $5

Choose Three:
Gain a card costing up to 2; +1 Card; +$1.
The choices may be the same.

Cargo Ship is a Smithy variant with significant piling power, money generation, and flexibility. It can be used in nearly all decks, and provides a good reason to hit 5 early. There are synergies with Capitalism, remodelers, and rush strategies.

Feedback is appreciated.

1. You're missing the symbol for the gain choice; "gain a card costing up to 2" doesn't make sense, but "gain a card costing up to " does.
2. The name Cargo Ship is already taken by an official card.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

jakav

• Baron
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2022, 08:57:00 pm »

1. You're missing the symbol for the gain choice; "gain a card costing up to 2" doesn't make sense, but "gain a card costing up to " does.
2. The name Cargo Ship is already taken by an official card.

Ah, I have updated my submission.
--Jakav--

(Why shouldn't signatures be like the above?)

Meta

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2022, 09:20:46 pm »

As I have been informed that it doesn't qualify, so I'll retire this card.

Quote from: retired
Unnamed Card atm
Action
Cost: 5$

Reveal the top 5 Cards of your deck.
Put three of them into your hand and discard the others.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 05:21:54 am by Meta »

AJL828

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJL828
  • Respect: +394
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2022, 11:30:15 pm »
+1

Quote from: Concept card
Unnamed Card atm
Action

I'm unsure of the price, I had it at 6$ for a while, but with a +buy, but it seemed a like a hard buy in non-colony games. Maybe I'll change the cost to 6 debt and +1 buy to spice the card up, as it's kind of plain right now.

Also I'm unsure if this qualifies, because you aren't choosing from a list, but cards to put into your hand. Feedback on that from the op would be appreciated.

The OP says: ‘For example, a card that said "Choose 3 cards from your hand and put them onto your deck" would not qualify.’ This is a very similar idea to that example so it doesn’t qualify (probably, obviously check with emtzalex first)
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2022, 12:59:44 am »
+1

Quote from: Concept card
Unnamed Card atm
Action

I'm unsure of the price, I had it at 6$ for a while, but with a +buy, but it seemed a like a hard buy in non-colony games. Maybe I'll change the cost to 6 debt and +1 buy to spice the card up, as it's kind of plain right now.

Also I'm unsure if this qualifies, because you aren't choosing from a list, but cards to put into your hand. Feedback on that from the op would be appreciated.

As AJL828 pointed out, this would not qualify. The card needs to have players choose three items from a list of effects.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2022, 12:51:49 pm »

Tres Leches
$3@3
Victory
-

I really like your submission, but I feel it's kind of too good. Especially if you buy this turn 1, there is a high likelyhood of you ending up with 4 golds in your deck by turn 3/4 (by queuing silver, gaining spoils, exiling gold, then buying gold). Which forces everyone to pursue the same strategy, as having that much buying power this early on is just too much of an advantage
Imo you should lower the T1 buying incentive by either only being able to exile a dingle Gold, or just removing that option outright to stick with the "3" Theme.

If you buy this on turn 1 choosing Coffers and Gold (and any 3rd choice), you're actually guaranteed to have 4 Gold in your deck by the end of turn 4 by spending the Coffers with your first  $3+ hand in the second shuffle. (You'll usually already have them after T3, unless you've drawn all 3 Estates and 2 Coppers for T3.)

Even without the Gold option, the on-gain bonus seems very strong - e.g. choosing Coffers, Horses and Villagers means you effectively get an Experiment, a Ride and an instant-Acting Troupe put together (plus a green card) for just one buy and at most $3.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 21 queries.