Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #140: Choose Three  (Read 9829 times)

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
Weekly Design Contest #140: Choose Three
« on: January 10, 2022, 06:51:11 pm »
+7

Weekly Design Contest #140 is:

Design a card/landscape that has the player "choose three" from a list things it can do.

A common mechanic among official cards allows the player to "choose" from a list of different things that can be done. Most of these tell you to "choose one" from a list of options (see Steward, Catacombs). Two cards, Pawn and Trusty Steed ask you to "choose two" things, while two more cards, Courtier and Scrap allow you to choose a variable number, depending on a card each interacts with.

For this challenge, you need to design a card (or landscape) which allows a player to "choose three" from a list of things that can be done:
  • The design should use the "choose" mechanic from the cards previously listed.
  • Just because an entry contains the phrase "choose three" will not make it qualify.
  • For example, a card that said "Choose 3 cards from your hand and put them onto your deck" would not qualify.
  • However, shortcuts in language are fine. If you said "Choose 3 of the following to gain:" followed by a list of cards, that would be okay; you don't have to say "gain a" each time.
  • I don't care if you use "3" or "three" (as long as it is exactly three, and not a variable number).
  • The three choices must come from a single list. A card that lets a player "choose one" from 3 different lists will not qualify. (Under this rule, Count would be different from a "choose two" card).
  • Players should choose exactly three items from the list (not up to 3, or a multiple of three).
  • However, while all of the official "choose" cards with more than one option require choosing all different items, you don't have to follow that restriction. If you want the player to be able to choose an option more than once, that is fine.
Those are the only requirements, but another very important aspect is that the choice should be meaningful. This is somewhat subjective, so I am not going to disqualify any entries, but if players would pick the same 3 things in the vast majority of cases, you probably won't win. Other than that, my main judging criteria is whether I would be excited to see the design in a Kingdom. Important factors for me are:
  • balance -- is the card useful, but not overpowering (both in general and in a variety of Kingdoms)
  • playability -- the card is fun to play and works in more than one type of deck
  • simplicity -- this doesn't always mean fewer words; a card with lots of text that, once you understand it, can be easily and intuitively be played is better than one with four lines of text that is hard to understand
  • topicality -- the card(s)/landscape(s) use(s) the mechanic in an interesting way
Your submission can be a Kingdom card, a non-supply card, or a landscape. If it is a non-Supply card or a landscape like an Artifact or State, make sure to include the card or landscape that gives players access to it. Feel free to use any official or fan mechanics (but if you use the latter, please explain how they work, or provide a link). This includes split piles or other ways to have multiple cards, but if you have too many you will lose points in the simplicity category.

The deadline for submissions will be 23:59 UTC / 6:59 p.m. Eastern/Forum time on Monday, January 17, 2021. Please let me know if you have any questions.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 11:34:41 am by emtzalex »
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

CaptainReklaw

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #140: Choose Three
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2022, 09:02:55 pm »

« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 09:33:06 pm by spineflu »

jakav

• Baron
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2022, 09:29:13 pm »
+1

Try adding a height attribute to your image so it does not fill up the entire screen, like this:
[img height=300] ....

Try quoting me if you need more information so you can see how I did it.
--Jakav--

(Why shouldn't signatures be like the above?)

jakav

• Baron
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2022, 09:32:29 pm »

Can I say "Choose up to 3:", or is that against the rules of the contest?
--Jakav--

(Why shouldn't signatures be like the above?)

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2022, 09:37:27 pm »

Am I misunderstanding something, because why would you ever choose anything besides +1 Action, +1 Buy, and +? Besides edge cases like Village Green.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 09:41:47 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2022, 09:47:49 pm »
+5

Not my actual entry - steal whatever you want from this

I'm not sure if this is a serious submission or not. The name certainly isn't serious.
EDIT: It wasn't serious. Here's an alternate governor style one that's also not my entry (actual entry downthread)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 02:11:33 pm by spineflu »

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2022, 11:03:49 pm »

Foreman - $5
Action
Choose 3 different things to get in the listed order: +1 Buy; +$1; +1 Coffers; the next card you gain this turn, gain it to your hand; gain a card costing up to $4; this turn, cards (everywhere) cost $1 less.

A build-a-Bridge with additional options.

Edit:  Changed the wording a bit. I am not sure if the phrasing is correct, but the intent is to have the chosen 3 things occur in the order they are in the list. So the price reduction would kick in after the gainer option, so you can't just gain a $5 cost card from the first play of this card. I am not sure if this is over powered at $5 just due to the options is provides. Feedback is appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 12:39:51 pm by Xen3k »

mathdude

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2022, 11:06:12 pm »

Am I misunderstanding something, because why would you ever choose anything besides +1 Action, +1 Buy, and +? Besides edge cases like Village Green.

This was also my thought. Another edge case is Ambassador, being able to use it to effectively Curse others.
he/him

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2022, 12:08:08 am »
+1

Hack of all Smithies
$5 - Action - Attack
+3 Cards.
Turn your journey token over (it starts face up). If it's face up, choose 3 things: Trash a card from your hand, +$1, +1 Buy, discard 2 cards for +1 Card, or each other player gains a Copper.
If your journey token is face down, discard an Action or Treasure card (or reveal a hand without any).

This challenge seems to have pretty limited design space...

EDIT: FAQ: Choices must be different. Do I need to add "Choices must be different" on the card? or is that the default rule?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 07:28:38 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2022, 12:11:35 am »

Can I say "Choose up to 3:", or is that against the rules of the contest?

Thanks for the question. That would not qualify under the rules. It has to be exactly 3.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 12:15:14 am by emtzalex »
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

AJL828

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJL828
  • Respect: +394
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2022, 12:38:27 am »
+8

Weaver
Action ($4)

Choose three: +1 Action; +$1; trash a card from your hand; gain a Horse; gain a Silver. The choices must be different.

Not sure whether this should cost $3 or not.
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

mathdude

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2022, 01:52:22 am »
+3

Weaver
Action ($4)

Choose three: +1 Action; +$1; trash a card from your hand; gain a Horse; gain a Silver. The choices must be different.

Not sure whether this should cost $3 or not.

It seems that being able to open with 2 of these (on a 3-4 split) would be a little too powerful.  So even though it seems like a bit of a weak card at $4, I think it's too strong of an opener to price it at $3.

Hack of all Smithies
$5 - Action - Attack
+3 Cards.
Turn your journey token over (it starts face up). If it's face up, choose 3 things: Trash a card from your hand, +$1, +1 Buy, discard 2 cards for +1 Card, or each other player gains a Copper.
If your journey token is face down, discard an Action or Treasure card (or reveal a hand without any).

This challenge seems to have pretty limited design space...

I'm having the same problem right now too.  It basically points me to create a more expensive Pawn that maybe has a few more options (like Scrap, but taking out the flexibility from it, where its ability varies depending on what you trash).

I think that's where allowing Landscapes can potentially provide more design space - or especially allowing fan mechanics.  Hopefully some creative options come up, because I'm not coming up with any at the moment.

Well, here's my starting point.  I'm not sure if I'll keep this concept or not.  Open to feedback.
(Also, I don't think rules specified whether the 3 choices have to be different - just that you had to choose exactly 3 choices from a list.  So unless I hear otherwise, I've got a card that lets you make the same choice if you want).

he/him

exfret

• Thief
  • Respect: +112
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2022, 08:33:36 am »
+3

I'm not sure if this is a serious submission or not. The name certainly isn't serious.

Should it instead be "...may trash up to 1 (2) cards..."? Otherwise you have to trash exactly 2 or none, which is sometimes worse than zero or one, which is what your opponents get.

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2022, 11:31:09 am »
+2

(Also, I don't think rules specified whether the 3 choices have to be different - just that you had to choose exactly 3 choices from a list.  So unless I hear otherwise, I've got a card that lets you make the same choice if you want).

Good question, mathdude. This didn't occur to me. I am going to say yes, this does qualify. That means the choices don't have to be different. Hopefully this will open up the design space a bit.

I will update the OP to reflect this.
he/him/his

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2022, 12:31:14 pm »

Should it instead be "...may trash up to 1 (2) cards..."? Otherwise you have to trash exactly 2 or none, which is sometimes worse than zero or one, which is what your opponents get.

would it be more interesting if the trashing was compulsory? Or would that be too mean?

AJL828

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJL828
  • Respect: +394
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2022, 12:38:53 pm »
+1

would it be more interesting if the trashing was compulsory? Or would that be too mean?
I think it would definitely be too mean. If somebody stacked these against you you’d be down to a 2 card handsize (or less) and have multiple good cards trashed (not early game, but still). It would also be really annoying if you could negate the trashing part for yourself with fortress and the opponent can’t because they didn’t happen to draw it in their starting hand.
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

nyxfulloftricks

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2022, 12:54:01 pm »
+1

Architect
$6
Action

Choose one: +1 Card; or gain two Horses.
Choose one: +2 Actions; or +1 Villager.
Choose one: +$2 or +1 Coffers.
-
Setup: Each player gets +1 Coffers, +1 Villager and gains two Horses. (These cards should begin in their discard pile not in their deck or hand.)

Judge, would this be an acceptable card since it doesn't say choose three but there are exactly three choices to be made?

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +476
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2022, 01:19:46 pm »

A weird $7 Bridge/Inventor thing. Can technically gain copies of itself, but considering it costs $7 and will take a while to multiply, how worth it is it to do that?

Old versions restricted the Bridge effect to non-Victory cards and gave the +2 Cards option +1 Action. Former seemed too restrictive, latter seemed like a bad a idea to make this non-terminal.

New version below.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 03:05:49 pm by Augie279 »
they/them

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2022, 01:54:08 pm »

Architect
$6
Action

-
Setup: Each player gets +1 Coffers, +1 Villager and gains two Horses. (These cards should begin in their discard pile not in their deck or hand.)

Judge, would this be an acceptable card since it doesn't say choose three but there are exactly three choices to be made?

This wouldn't qualify for the contest. Per the OP:

• The three choices must come from a single list. A card that lets a player "choose one" from 3 different lists will not qualify. (Under this rule, Count would be different from a "choose two" card).
he/him/his

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2022, 02:07:59 pm »
+2

Here's my actual entry. h/t to crlundy, Something_Smart, alion8me, and Gubump for helping me workshop it over in the discord.

Also shout out to Mahowrath, sorta borrowing "Amulet of Protection" from the Round Robin with this

Black Spot • $4 • Treasure - Attack - Doom
$3
Reveal the top 4 Hexes; receive 3 of them (in any order). Each other player receives the remaining Hex and if they aren't Marked, takes it.

Marked • State
At the start of your turn, return this.

Until then, you are unaffected by Hexes.

Marked is a Deluded/Envious style state, where there's one per player.
Why's it a treasure? So when you get hit with Deluded all game, you can still get in on the fight, if you want.
Why's it cost $4? So you can hit it with War.
Where's the "choose 3"? It's the choice of which three of four hexes you get.
Why invent 'Marked' for this? Because otherwise in 3+p games, you're going to spend the entire game either deluded or envious and everyone is going to have a bad time because of it.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 02:26:26 pm by spineflu »

nyxfulloftricks

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2022, 02:38:44 pm »

Architect
$6
Action

-

This wouldn't qualify for the contest. Per the OP:

Thank you for updating the OP to clarify what you are looking for.

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +476
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2022, 03:05:14 pm »

A weird $7 Bridge/Inventor thing. Can technically gain copies of itself, but considering it costs $7 and will take a while to multiply, how worth it is it to do that?

Old versions restricted the Bridge effect to non-Victory cards and gave the +2 Cards option +1 Action. Former seemed too restrictive, latter seemed like a bad a idea to make this non-terminal.

last revision I swear
they/them

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2022, 03:31:22 pm »
+4

Monastic Village
$3
Choose three (the choices may be the same): +1 Action, or trash a card from your hand.

Chapel meets Village. Edit: clarified wording.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 07:06:28 pm by JW »

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2022, 03:40:22 pm »
+1

Here's my entry this week. Your great uncle finally kicked the bucket, and what's this, he's left you some stuff in his will! Some of it's nice, some of it's kinda eh, but it's all yours now. Will is a $5 workshop variant that gains 3 different cards per play, but you usually are forced to take at least one thing you may not actually want that much. Early game, Silver + a $4 cost Action is pretty nice, but man you sure don't want the Copper, Estate, or Duchy. Late game, 4VP and a Silver or $4 cost is a solid play. I briefly considered pricing at $4 but it seemed to way easy to rush Wills, Estates, and Duchies, so it's $5 now.

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2022, 04:10:15 pm »
+8

OK, here's my entry - definitely feels like a v0.1 as there are several things I'm unsure of. But I want to get it posted asap, in order to get some feedback, as I like the general idea.

Informant - Action - Reserve - $4

The player to your left chooses three (for you): +1 Villager; +1 Coffers; gain a Horse; put this on your Tavern mat. The choices must be different.
-
At the start of your buy phase, you may call this for +1 Buy.

OK, so the general idea is to let your opponent choose 3 options for you. I'm willing to consider changing the ones there, but I did
like the idea of making them Market-like; though I switched from Action, Card, $1, etc to Villager, Coffers, Horse, etc. so that if those options were chosen they could still help you. And since there's currently no "buy tokens" I used the reserve aspect to simulate that (I've had at least one other card like that, Gondolier).

Of course doing that (the reserve part) makes it necessary to make all choices different. I would've preferred to allow for the same. If I wanted to introduce Buy tokens (+1 Buyer?) then I could change that up. That also could resolve the fact that this card might sit in reserve for a while (i.e. this choice is one the player to your left while likely often choose) - I could make it +2 Buys or +1 Buy, +$1 to make that one stronger?

Otherwise what do you all think?

(The other thing I'm unsure of is the name / theme - not 100% sure Informant fits for this, but it needed some kind of name that involved interacting with others)
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 21 queries.