Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #139: Highly Irregular  (Read 6728 times)

BBobb

• Moneylender
  • My brother says thief is amazing.
  • Respect: +138
    • View Profile
Re: Contest #139: Highly Irregular
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2022, 09:15:12 pm »
+1

A card that consistently gives coffers, and can late game be discarded for VP. But when saving up Coffers, you usually want to save them for late game, but then you can't get the VP from here. Not sure on cost or if this is too over/underpowered. Any suggestions on a name welcome!

Also, I'm not sure how the coloring should be, whether it should be 50-50 or all of one color.
You missed my card during judging

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1352
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2022, 10:09:27 pm »

A card that consistently gives coffers, and can late game be discarded for VP. But when saving up Coffers, you usually want to save them for late game, but then you can't get the VP from here. Not sure on cost or if this is too over/underpowered. Any suggestions on a name welcome!

Also, I'm not sure how the coloring should be, whether it should be 50-50 or all of one color.
You missed my card during judging

so I did; I am incredibly sorry about that.
Lets see here.
This feels very of a kin with segura's entry, in many ways sort of the reverse.
I don't love the double line. I'm not sold on needing that ever - imo, cards have a 'when you play them' above the line and an 'everything else' below it.
I don't love that you can turn it off at will, really. Huge coffer piles available to the first person to hit $7+ aren't condusive to much other than a 'rich get richer' paradigm, and getting one will help you get more. In many ways, this might work better as like a double sided project or state given by an event - limits the number of coffers/turn you get.
You should probably name your cards in the future - i work off a list by card name, which is how yours got missed. 
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 10:15:37 pm by spineflu »

exfret

• Thief
  • Respect: +112
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2022, 11:36:20 pm »
+1

Spineflu, I don't understand the feedback on my card. Of course, if you play it as a worse experiment, it's, uh, going to be a worse experiment. The whole point is that you have the flexibility to just load up on Horse Factories and then play a bazillion a turn. The more Horses you have in your deck, the easier it is to draw all your Horse Factories in hand to buy a Horse Factory for a lot of Horses etc. I don't know if it's quick enough for competitive play, but at my play level (50 on the ladder) with the others I was playing with, it was certainly able to serve as the main draw for my engine, whereas experiment on its own can't.

CaptainReklaw

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2022, 12:42:47 am »

« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 03:31:50 am by spineflu »

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2022, 03:52:50 am »

Spineflu, I don't understand the feedback on my card. Of course, if you play it as a worse experiment, it's, uh, going to be a worse experiment. The whole point is that you have the flexibility to just load up on Horse Factories and then play a bazillion a turn. The more Horses you have in your deck, the easier it is to draw all your Horse Factories in hand to buy a Horse Factory for a lot of Horses etc. I don't know if it's quick enough for competitive play, but at my play level (50 on the ladder) with the others I was playing with, it was certainly able to serve as the main draw for my engine, whereas experiment on its own can't.

i compared it to similar concepts that rely on collision like using fools gold as payload. can you solely use fools gold as payload? sure. is it advisable, or is it purely hubris? it's mostly hubris. i think it'd be funny if one person loaded up on HFs to draw deck and the other just bought out the pile to kill them entirely. take two junk to make your opponent's draw into 8 junk? beautiful. but that's going to feel bad on the other side of the game.

I won't lie, conceptually, pure draw does not thrill me. variable draw, synergies for draw, kind of. but a self synergy that just results in a ramp to more cards is going to make the game pretty... monotonic? simplistic?

anyhow you're welcome to disagree with me all you want. it doesn't change my mind.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2022, 03:54:40 am »

you need something bud? this contest is closed

Lackar

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2022, 05:54:35 pm »
+1

Congrats to the winner and runner ups. Thought they were really cool cards. Thanks for the comments and those that helped redesign the card from my first thoughts. Only entered a couple times and always get good feedback on the card design and play. Hope to keep up with ideas for these contests.

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1453
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2022, 05:55:46 pm »
+5

Quote from: emtzalex
A Far Better Thing • $2 • Reserve
When you buy a card, you may call this, to exile that card and to Exile any number of copies of it from your hand.
-
When you gain this, put it on your Tavern mat.
FINALIST
First off, love the theme on this. second off, love how it plays. I do love a good junk card, and a one shot that turns into junk (but plays sort of like Doctor or Ambassador) is going to be a real fun card to play with.

Winner:
emtzalex's A Far Better Thing

Thanks, spineflu!

I will try to have the next contest up tonight.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.