Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #138: A Revealing Contest  (Read 4414 times)

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +476
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #138: A Revealing Contest
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2021, 03:32:55 pm »
+1

A Wishing Well that draws itself automatically if you revealed it. Can do some other fun things if there's other cards that reveal on the board.
they/them

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2021, 07:05:19 pm »
+1

25-Hour Notice

I'm not sure whether this is an oddly-specific amount of time for a warning or a typo.
It was posted at 11:14pm Eastern Time (which appears to be the time zone mxdata is in), so I’m guessing it’s accurate and the contest ends at midnight Eastern.

Yes, I just didn't want to stay up an extra hour to post a 24-hour notice
They/them

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2021, 07:30:01 pm »
+3

A Wishing Well that draws itself automatically if you revealed it. Can do some other fun things if there's other cards that reveal on the board.

The wording seems like a confusing way to let you draw the card when it is revealed by a Wishing Well or Crystal Ball. Could simply say “when you reveal this from your deck, you may draw it”. Your version lets it get the benefit of Patron I think, if Patron is in the supply, but I’m not even completely sure if that works within the rules.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +476
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2021, 08:13:26 pm »

The wording seems like a confusing way to let you draw the card when it is revealed by a Wishing Well or Crystal Ball. Could simply say “when you reveal this from your deck, you may draw it”. Your version lets it get the benefit of Patron I think, if Patron is in the supply, but I’m not even completely sure if that works within the rules.

It allows for the +Coffers from Patron, can get treated as a Treasure or Victory if hit by Venture or Rebuild respectively, can allow you to play any Action in the Supply twice if hit by Ghost, etc. Lots of intended shenanigans with this.
they/them

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2021, 12:03:24 am »
+3

Submissions Closed

I will render judgement sometime before the end of the day (12/29)
They/them

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2021, 01:49:32 am »
+3

Ritzy Town
$4
Action - Reaction
+1 Card and +2 Actions.
____
When something causes you to reveal this (using the word “reveal”), +1 Villagers.

A nice simple design. In games with no reveal interactions, it's a simple village - almost always a useful card to have, and in games with cards that reveal, this becomes rather stronger. The fact that it's a village that can potentially give you villagers is a nice thematic touch. Definitely a strong contender here.

Speakeasy
Action/Reaction - $5
+2 Cards
+2 Actions
____
When something causes you to reveal this (using the word "reveal"), set this aside, and discard it at the end of this turn
(Heirloom: Lantern)

Lantern
Treasure/Attack/Heirloom - $2*
Worth $1
If you have an Action in play, each other player with 5 or more cards in hand reveals their hand and discards an Attack that you choose from it

Given that Lantern is the name of a pre-existing Artifact, this Heirloom should probably be given a different name. But that aside, this is an interesting one. What's particularly interesting is that its nominal attack (forcing opponents to discard attacks) would often be actually quite weak - if you have no other Attacks in the kingdom, for example, it would only (directly) target itself. With other Attacks it could be quite strong. It would be particularly useful with Black Cat. Both in forcing your opponent to discard a Black Cat before you buy a Victory card and, if they have multiple Black Cats then you could avoid buying a Victory card. However, the strongest aspect would actually be in the interaction with Speakeasy - your opponent will be forced to discard any Speakeasy they have in their hand, potentially a very strong attack, although one whose effect would be quite variable, since it would depend on how many Speakeasies they had in their hand when you played this (also, the fact that Lantern only causes players with 5 or more cards to reveal their hands means that discard attacks could potentially benefit your opponent - being left with fewer than five cards means that Lantern can't force them to discard their Speakeasy)

Also, am I correct in assuming that the reason you have "if you have an Action in play" is to avoid the situation where player a player can be forced to discard a Copper(-equivalent) in the opening (although in a Shelters game that could still happen)?

I'm not sure how it would interact with cards like Ghost or Golem. You're forced to discard it, but would those cards still be able to play it? Or would the stop-moving rule apply and they'd dud on this? I believe stop-moving would apply and it wouldn't get played

All in all a very interesting pair of cards. It could be really fun to play with. Definite finalist here.

Cavern
$3
Victory-Reaction

2VP

As majiponi pointed out, this could be potentially quite strong with Shepherd, since the Reveal reaction would happen before Shepherd's draw. Imagine a hand with Shepherd + 4 Victory cards, including this.  You reveal Cavern, which lets you get +5 Cards, then you get the +8 Cards from Shepherd! But even other cards that reveal could be useful with this. And in games without any reveal interactions, 2 VP for $3 isn't bad. Overall, it would be a very context-dependent card, like Tunnel. Not very useful, except sometimes near the end game, in kingdoms with no revealing cards, but potentially quite useful in kingdoms with cards that reveal. Not a bad card, but it doesn't quite make the cut

Caravel
Action - Duration - Reaction ($3)

Either now or at the start of your next turn: +2 Cards.
---
When something causes you to reveal this (using the word "reveal"), you may play it.

A "smaller Barge" with the additional bonus of letting you play it when it is revealed. It won't do anything against discard or junking attacks, but it can be helpful against trashing attacks or deck inspection attacks. The duration draw option should also help it be a little more useful on boards without cards that can reveal.

This is quite interesting. If you reveal on your opponent's turn, and there's no discard attacks, it wouldn't make much difference whether you choose the now or later option, but if there are discard attacks, then you'd definitely want to choose the later option. Since it puts it into play, I believe that would avoid a Knight-style trashing attack. Revealing on your turn you'd probably usually want to play it right away (the main exception being with Loan or Venture where you'd probably be better off choosing the next turn option to avoid drawing cards dead). Many cards that allow you to reveal would basically give you a free Action with this. It raises a rule question with Menagerie or City Quarter. If you reveal this with a Menagerie and you choose the play now option, do the cards it draws count in determining Menagerie or CQ's draw? It would be an interesting effect with Golem, basically preventing you from choosing the order of play if Caravel is one of the cards it reveals (or ... would Golem end up playing it twice, like with the Vassal-Village Green interaction?)

This is a really cool card. Definitely a finalist

Guinea (Treasure-Reaction, $5)

+$2
+1 Buy
------
When something causes you to reveal this (using the word "reveal"), put it into your hand.

A Silver with an extra buy is always a good card. In games without any reveal interactions, it's essentially the same as Spice, except without the latter's on-gain effect. A lot of revealing is from your hand, though, reducing the number of kingdoms where that reaction would be useful. An interesting consequence of the reveal reaction is that it's untrashable by Bandit or Pirate Ship, since it goes into your hand when revealed, preventing it from being trashed

Overall, I'd say this is an interesting card, but ultimately a bit underwhelming in most kingdoms

Carrack is a ten card non-supply pile.

This is a really cool one. My main issue with this is that in kingdoms with no reveal interactions, you're left with a non-Supply pile that is impossible to gain. Caravel is a basic Peddler variant, always a useful card, and Carrack is a particularly strong card, so the reveal interaction would be really useful.

The big question: How does this interact with cards like Golem or Ghost? If you use the reaction, can those cards then play Caravel from the trash? I think no, because Golem tries to put it in play and Ghost tries to set it aside, and in both cases those cards expect to find them in revealed-card-land, not in the trash

I really like this one. Simple, but cool. And the card names have a nice theme to them. This is a finalist.

My Submission:

Quote from: Brothel
BROTHEL
NIGHT - REACTION
Cost: $5
+3 Coffers

When something causes you to reveal this (using the word "reveal"), you may spend 1 Coffers to play it.

I feel this may be a bit overpowered.  +3 Coffers is really strong, especially for a Night card, since those are inherently non-terminal. The ability to spend a Coffer to play it would sometimes not be a trade-off at all.  Consider a card like Venture which would discard it. Then spending a coffer to play it wouldn't be any kind of trade-off, since it would be a choice between discarding it and getting 0 coffers or playing it for a net +2 Coffers. And even when it is a genuine trade-off, it would frequently be well worth it to get the benefit immediately

I do love the combination of Night and Reaction. The color scheme alone is rather aesthetically pleasing, IMO, and it's a combination that isn't used in any official card, so that's a plus. But, over all, I think this would be overpowered.

Farmhand - $4
Action - Reaction
Reveal your hand. If no Action cards were revealed, +3 Cards. Otherwise, +[2 Cards].
----
When something causes you to reveal this (using the word "reveal"), discard this and +1 Villager.

This has an interesting self-interaction. I think the self-interaction would be more of a negative than a positive. But in other reveal interactions it could be good. It seems to me that it would be a counter to Knight and similar cards. Knight reveals it, it self-discards and gives you +1 Villager, and now if you choose it to trash (or if it's the only $3-$6 card), Knight would not be able to trash it, since it's now in the discard pile, and not where Knight expects it to be. At least, I think that's how it would work. Ghost would also fail with it, since the card would end up in the discard pile, and couldn't be set aside

In most kingdoms, it would end up being weaker than Smithy, since it's a non-terminal Action that only sometimes gives you +3 Cards, and since it discards other copies of itself, it's harder to play multiples. An interesting idea, but I think overall it's a bit weak

Path is an interesting card. In it's on-play effect it is to Smithy what Horse is to Lab. And when revealed, is like a double-Lab (or triple-Lab if it's revealed from your deck!), since you don't need to use an Action. An interesting effect is that Pilgrim likes decks with expensive cards, but it gains you cheap cards, albeit one-shot cheap cards. I feel that it wouldn't be too hard to gain Paths, especially if you have a good engine. Your opponent only has their starting 5-card hand to choose a card from, while you can draw until you get an expensive card before playing Pilgrim.  This is a finalist

Pioneer • $3 • Action - Reaction
Reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal a Treasure card, then put it in your hand and discard the rest. If it's your turn, +1 Action.
-
When something causes you to reveal this (using the word "reveal"), play it.

This could easily lead to some complicated chain reactions, causing you to potentially have multiple sets of revealed cards, since its reaction would be triggered in the middle of another card's revealing. Also, its self-synergy could allow you to put multiple Treasure cards in your hand and get multiple +Actions, although ironically it's putting cards in your hand that don't need those Actions. It would be really strong with Capitalism.  I really like this card. I think it would be very fun to play with. Finalist.

I think this is a bit overpowered for a Way. With a modest amount of variety, it's far too easy to get that Lost City effect - and with the accompanying Cat's Eye, a lot of times you'd want to use the Way even if you have duplicates, just to trigger Cat's Eye's trashing (especially in a game with junking attacks). Cat's Eye is a cool card, reminiscent of Goat, another Copper + Trasher, except, of course, that Goat trashes on-play and so is more frequently useful - but Cat's Eye you can buy multiples of unlike Goat which is normally limited to one per player. I'd suggest pricing Cat's Eye $1 or $2, since it's strictly better than Copper. I like the basic idea, but I feel like the Way needs to be weakened a bit

Gardener
$5
Action - Victory - Reaction
+1 Action
Gain a card costing 3 or less to your hand.

When scoring, worth 1VP for every 7 cards costing 2 or less in your deck.

When something causes you to reveal this (using the word "reveal"), gain a card costing 3 or less.

This could be really strong in a game with cheap cantrips and/or cost reduction - too strong with cost reduction in fact. As mathdude pointed out, playing a Gardener with two Highways in play would let you gain the whole Gardener pile. I would suggest making its gain be specifically non-Victory to avoid that problem. There could be some really interesting interactions with certain cards. Chariot Race would be a particularly interesting one, since Chariot Race revealing it would cause you to gain cheap cards - but Chariot Race doesn't want a deck full of cheap cards! You'd definitely want to avoid going for both, since they have opposing needs. But if your opponent is going for Chariot Race and you're going for Gardener, then their Chariot Race could potentially trigger your Gardener - and they might want to think twice about playing multiple Chariot Races if the first one reveals your Gardener! This is an interesting idea, but I'm afraid it doesn't quite make the cut

This reaction would be potentially really confusing. What if you reveal multiple Crystal Balls? For example, with a card like Menagerie? The way this is written, each Crystal Ball could potentially emulate a different card - except that since the emulation isn't on-play, you'd have to remember which is which until you play it. And what about if it gets trashed by a Knight? Knight reveals cards, then trashes one between $3-$6. This means that you'd have to name a card which this particular Crystal Ball then becomes - then it goes into the trash - and keeps that identity! This would be really problematic with Necromancer. Its identity is now permanently something else, which you'd have to keep track of for the rest of the game. Even worse, if your opponent gains it with Lurker or Rogue, it's not going into your discard pile, so it keeps the identity you picked for it!  Even after it gets shuffled into their deck, meaning they'll have no way of knowing what this card actually is! You could perhaps avoid some of those problems by changing "your" to "any player's" and adding "or trash" to where it stops being the card you picked. Granted, these are edge cases since only a few combinations will cause those problems, but it's still potentially game-breaking

Runners-up: Ritzy Town, Caravel, Caravel/Carrack, Pilgrim/Path
2nd place: NoMoreFun's Speakeasy/Lantern
Winner: Spineflu's Pioneer

This was a fun contest to judge! And very difficult to pick a winner. Lots of great entries! Congratulations to Spineflu!
They/them

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2021, 09:07:10 am »

Pioneer • $3 • Action - Reaction
Reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal a Treasure card, then put it in your hand and discard the rest. If it's your turn, +1 Action.
-
When something causes you to reveal this (using the word "reveal"), play it.

i designed this the other day then forgot to post it. A self-synergizing riff on Adventurer at much cheaper than adventurer, that does the fun thing I like about Venture.

Instead of saying "If it's your turn, +1 Action", the card can just start with "+1 Action", since on other people's turns it would not matter.

just seeing this now; it's phrased this way because it's shorter than the "(if it's not your turn, the +Actions does nothing)" reminder text from Caravan Guard.

Thanks for the win mxdata! I'll try to get the next contest up today.

arowdok

• Spy
  • Respect: +129
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2021, 01:05:25 pm »

Cat's Eye is a cool card, reminiscent of Goat, another Copper + Trasher, except, of course, that Goat trashes on-play and so is more frequently useful - but Cat's Eye you can buy multiples of unlike Goat which is normally limited to one per player. I'd suggest pricing Cat's Eye $1 or $2, since it's strictly better than Copper.

This is a Heirloom just like Goat so players only get the 1 copy Cat's Eye. The "weird" thing is the Way of the Tiger produces the Heirloom not a traditional Supply pile.

Also I should point out using the Cat's Eye and Way of the Tiger for just a single Trash is very compare able to Way of the Goat, it still takes your action for the turn and an action card, and unlike Menagerie a failed Tiger reveal gives nothing.

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2021, 08:00:29 pm »

Cat's Eye is a cool card, reminiscent of Goat, another Copper + Trasher, except, of course, that Goat trashes on-play and so is more frequently useful - but Cat's Eye you can buy multiples of unlike Goat which is normally limited to one per player. I'd suggest pricing Cat's Eye $1 or $2, since it's strictly better than Copper.

This is a Heirloom just like Goat so players only get the 1 copy Cat's Eye. The "weird" thing is the Way of the Tiger produces the Heirloom not a traditional Supply pile.

Also I should point out using the Cat's Eye and Way of the Tiger for just a single Trash is very compare able to Way of the Goat, it still takes your action for the turn and an action card, and unlike Menagerie a failed Tiger reveal gives nothing.

Oh, right, sorry about that. I don't know how I overlooked the fact that it's an heirloom
They/them
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 21 queries.