Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #138: A Revealing Contest  (Read 4416 times)

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
Weekly Design Contest #138: A Revealing Contest
« on: December 21, 2021, 11:13:47 pm »
+5

WDC #138: A Revealing Contest

Currently Patron is the only official card with "when you reveal this ..." "when something causes you to reveal this ..."

Your challenge is to create a new Reaction card that reacts to being revealed. It does not have to be an Action - Reaction, it could be any other type such as a Treasure - Reaction. The reaction can be anything you like, the only requirement is that the trigger be revealing it

Your entry does not have to be a single card. It can be, for example, a split pile or an Heirloom and a paired card or a non-Supply card and a card that gains it, as long as at least one of the cards has this reaction. No Traveller lines or piles like Knights or Castles with multiple different cards.  Maximum of two cards or card-like things please

Submissions are open until midnight (EST) 12/29/2021
« Last Edit: December 22, 2021, 08:07:57 pm by mxdata »
They/them

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #138: A Revealing Contest
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2021, 11:24:24 pm »
+3

Ritzy Town
$4
Action - Reaction
+1 Card and +2 Actions.
____
When something causes you to reveal this (using the word “reveal”), +1 Villagers.

Edit: added dividing line.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2021, 12:47:01 pm by JW »

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2021, 05:17:19 am »
+1

Speakeasy
Action/Reaction - $5
+2 Cards
+2 Actions
____
When something causes you to reveal this (using the word "reveal"), set this aside, and discard it at the end of this turn
(Heirloom: Torch)

Torch
Treasure/Attack/Heirloom - $2*
Worth $1
If you have an Action in play, each other player with 5 or more cards in hand reveals their hand and discards an Attack that you choose from it

Edit: Changed name from Lantern to Torch after the contest, as Lantern is an official card-shaped-thing
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 08:50:14 pm by NoMoreFun »

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2021, 01:41:02 pm »

Can we design an Heirloom and a Kingdom card that goes with it?

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2021, 04:59:20 pm »

Cavern
$3
Victory-Reaction

2VP

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2021, 05:51:23 pm »

Cavern
$3
Victory-Reaction

2VP

Super strong with Shepherd, I think.

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2021, 07:57:15 pm »

Can we design an Heirloom and a Kingdom card that goes with it?

I'm going to say yes.  I'll update the original post to reflect this
They/them

AJL828

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJL828
  • Respect: +394
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2021, 11:53:37 pm »
+6

Caravel
Action - Duration - Reaction ($3)

Either now or at the start of your next turn: +2 Cards.
---
When something causes you to reveal this (using the word "reveal"), you may play it.

A "smaller Barge" with the additional bonus of letting you play it when it is revealed. It won't do anything against discard or junking attacks, but it can be helpful against trashing attacks or deck inspection attacks. The duration draw option should also help it be a little more useful on boards without cards that can reveal.
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2021, 03:49:46 am »

Guinea (Treasure-Reaction, $5)

+$2
+1 Buy
------
When something causes you to reveal this (using the word "reveal"), put it into your hand.

spheremonk

• Bishop
  • Respect: +206
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2021, 04:00:39 am »
+1

Carrack is a ten card non-supply pile.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2021, 03:14:32 pm by spheremonk »

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2021, 04:03:33 pm »

Guinea (Treasure-Reaction, $5)

+$2
+1 Buy
------
When something causes you to reveal this (using the word "reveal"), put it into your hand.

FYI, I submitted a very similar card for a previous contest:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=20803.msg870881#msg870881

There was some feedback that this could cost $4, but I was unsure.  It’s definitely strong when you’re able to trigger the reaction, but there aren’t that many cards that make you reveal cards from your deck so in many games it will just be a Silver with +Buy.  I was actually thinking of this card when I posed the question about whether we could submit an Heirloom because you could then pair it with an appropriate Kingdom card (or perhaps it could be part of a split pile with a card that synergizes with it).

P.S. The way Guinea is worded, it’s not clear if you mean to put Guinea in your hand or the card that revealed it.  If it’s the latter, then I think it would be a bit crazy with City Quarter.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2021, 07:26:17 pm by Timinou »

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2021, 05:21:17 pm »

My Submission:

Quote from: Brothel
BROTHEL
NIGHT - REACTION
Cost: $5
+3 Coffers

When something causes you to reveal this (using the word "reveal"), you may spend 1 Coffers to play it.

The world's oldest profession can be quite profitable, but by the time the work is done, it is usually too late for you to use the proceeds until the following day (turn). Of course, what is on offer inside is impossible to resist any time day or night , so if one happens to get an early peak, they might be able to fill your Coffers more quickly (although at a reduced amount).

My submission is Brothel. A Night that gives the player 3 Coffers, and when it is revealed, if the player has any Coffers available, they can play it immediately, but only get 2 Coffers out of it.

I originally had this giving +4 Coffers, but that seemed like too much. Starting fairly early, it all but guarantees the player will get a Province; on the off chance they don't hit $4 the following turn, the fact that these are Coffers means they can do so the turn after. I do like giving the payload (generally) at night: you get some of the delayed effect of a Duration (since you generally cannot spend it until the following turn), while still getting the card back into your deck more quickly. I do worry that in terms of strength it compares unfavorably to Legionary or Livery (which I why I started at 4 Coffers), but I guess that it is non-terminal and there is an advantage to getting Coffers over coins (even if it's not that great).

The Reaction is a nice bonus, but comes with a trade-off. If you want to be able to get it, you have to hold one of your Coffers over (and, of course, the benefit is reduced). On the other hand, the 2 Coffers you do get can be used right away.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2021, 08:40:32 pm »
+1

Farmhand - $4
Action - Reaction
Reveal your hand. If no Action cards were revealed, +3 Cards. Otherwise, +$2.
----
When something causes you to reveal this (using the word "reveal"), discard this and +1 Villager.

A sometimes Smithy that wants to be the last Action card played out of your hand. Gives you a Villager if it is revealed, but does get discarded when that happens. Was thinking of having it cost $3, but am not sure about that. Feedback is appreciated.

Edit: Changed it to still be +cards if you still have other Action cards in hand. This does give it a bit more self-synergy, but I think having it always be a source of card draw will make playing with it more enjoyable than if it sometimes plays as a terminal Silver.

Old Version
« Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 07:27:47 pm by Xen3k »

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2021, 11:41:59 am »
+4

Here's my entry this week. Pilgrim is a cheap cantrip that lets you and your opponent each reveal a card from hand. If yours is more expensive, you gain a Path, a one-shot Smithy. Paths get played automatically without spending an Action if the reveal reaction gets triggered. You can reveal a Path with your Pilgrim for a nonterminal +4 Cards (though you likely won't get another one since Paths are cheap), but be careful: your Pilgrim could reveal your opponent's Path too, giving them a big hand next turn.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2021, 10:37:20 pm by 4est »

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2021, 04:02:45 pm »
+1

Pilgrim and Path are neat, but I dislike the interaction in 3+ player games where playing Pilgrim can trigger a Path for the player to your left but not any other player. Unfortunately, I don’t see any good solutions that keep the current feel of the card.

AJL828

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJL828
  • Respect: +394
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2021, 05:25:09 pm »
+3

Here's my entry this week. Pilgrim is a cheap cantrip that lets you and your opponent each reveal a card from hand. If yours is more expensive, you gain a Path, a one-shot Smithy. Paths get played automatically without spending an Action if the reveal reaction gets triggered. You can reveal a Path with your Pilgrim for a nonterminal +4 Cards (though you likely won't get another one since Paths are cheap), but be careful: your Pilgrim could reveal your opponent's Path too, giving them a big hand next turn.
Small typo - Path is missing the Reaction type.
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2021, 12:51:22 pm »
+1

Pioneer • $3 • Action - Reaction
Reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal a Treasure card, then put it in your hand and discard the rest. If it's your turn, +1 Action.
-
When something causes you to reveal this (using the word "reveal"), play it.

i designed this the other day then forgot to post it. A self-synergizing riff on Adventurer at much cheaper than adventurer, that does the fun thing I like about Venture.

arowdok

• Spy
  • Respect: +129
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2021, 02:04:45 pm »
+4

I thought it might be nice to have a Way card give you this simple bauble. This Heirloom helps set up the Way card firstly by being a Copper with a unique name. Also the Way sets up the Heirloom by give players a method of revealing it, even if they don't get the extra bonuses of cards and actions, it will still reveal it and grant the trash effect. Also by Trashing that should slowly help set up this Way's bonus effects. Lastly, it is called Way of the Tiger because my bother loves Tigers and his favorite Dominion card is Menagerie.

Way of the Tiger
Way
Reveal your hand. If the revealed cards all have different names, +2 Actions and +2 Cards.
Heirloom: Cat's Eye

Cat's Eye
$0
Treasure - Reaction - Heirloom
$1
-
When something causes you to reveal this (using the word "reveal"), you may trash a card from your hand.

jakav

• Baron
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2021, 08:28:39 pm »
+1

Gardener
$5
Action - Victory - Reaction
+1 Action
Gain a card costing 3 or less other than a Gardener to your hand.

When scoring, worth 1VP for every 7 cards costing 2 or less in your deck.

When something causes you to reveal this (using the word "reveal"), gain a card costing 3 or less.

Gardener is a gainer that rewards having many low costing cards in your deck. There are many ways to use it, it can be an alt-vp card and a useful gainer, and is much more powerful if you can reveal if often. Since it gains to hand when played it can provide temporary boosts and cheap engine parts when needed. Revealing it provides a similar benefit to playing it, and it provides easy access to 2-cost kingdom cards while giving you a small VP boost from them. Edit: Made it work well with cost-reducers.

Feedback is appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 02:10:59 pm by jakav »
--Jakav--

(Why shouldn't signatures be like the above?)

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2021, 11:14:42 pm »
+2

25-Hour Notice
They/them

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2021, 01:27:59 am »

25-Hour Notice

I'm not sure whether this is an oddly-specific amount of time for a warning or a typo.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Erick648

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +628
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2021, 02:13:50 am »

25-Hour Notice

I'm not sure whether this is an oddly-specific amount of time for a warning or a typo.
It was posted at 11:14pm Eastern Time (which appears to be the time zone mxdata is in), so I’m guessing it’s accurate and the contest ends at midnight Eastern.
Duplicate duplicates Duplicates duplicate Duplicates duplicate.

Rene Descartes taught me to believe in myself.

How much Loot could a Looter loot if a Looter could loot Loot?

mathdude

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2021, 08:45:06 am »

Pioneer • $3 • Action - Reaction
Reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal a Treasure card, then put it in your hand and discard the rest. If it's your turn, +1 Action.
-
When something causes you to reveal this (using the word "reveal"), play it.

i designed this the other day then forgot to post it. A self-synergizing riff on Adventurer at much cheaper than adventurer, that does the fun thing I like about Venture.

Instead of saying "If it's your turn, +1 Action", the card can just start with "+1 Action", since on other people's turns it would not matter.

Gardener
$5
Action - Victory - Reaction
+1 Action
Gain a card costing 3 or less to your hand.

When scoring, worth 1VP for every 7 cards costing 2 or less in your deck.

When something causes you to reveal this (using the word "reveal"), gain a card costing 3 or less.

Gardener is a gainer that rewards having many low costing cards in your deck. There are many ways to use it, it can be an alt-vp card and a useful gainer, and is much more powerful if you can reveal if often. Since it gains to hand when played it can provide temporary boosts and cheap engine parts when needed. Revealing it provides a similar benefit to playing it, and it provides easy access to 2-cost kingdom cards while giving you a small VP boost from them.

Feedback is appreciated.

I'm not sure if it's intended or not, but if you get 2 Highways and a Gardener in hand, you can pile-out the Gardeners. That seems a little unbalanced.
he/him

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2021, 11:47:47 am »
+3

25-Hour Notice

It was posted at 11:14pm Eastern Time (which appears to be the time zone mxdata is in), so I’m guessing it’s accurate and the contest ends at midnight Eastern.

Presumably they wanted to go to bed and not wait another hour to post a 24-hour warning.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

arowdok

• Spy
  • Respect: +129
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2021, 02:59:40 pm »

I like this a lot but also think that this is too strong for a Way. Mouse, emulating $2s, is craziest in power level and this seems similar in strength to Menagerie. Sure, Lab+Lab > Village+Lab but as you draw less the self-synergy of Tiger is larger than that of Menagerie.

Play the set-aside card, leaving it there.
Setup: Set aside an unused Action costing $2 or $3.

I am not misreading anything right, Way of the Mouse can select a $3?
Also it is probably a powerful Way but still worth testing as is and if it is too much, I can find way to nerf it, but start at a place of excitement right?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 04:22:18 pm by arowdok »
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 21 queries.