Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: ⭐Holiday Fan Card Contest: Round Robin⭐  (Read 6756 times)

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
⭐Holiday Fan Card Contest: Round Robin⭐
« on: December 17, 2021, 05:48:07 pm »
+5

Since forum participation drops when people have off of work for holidays + such, it makes more sense to do a "just for funzies" one-off contest.

Here's how it's going to work:
1) Between NOW and 12/24, design a state or artifact for this. [this phase is done]
2) On 12/24, I'll randomly assign one of the entered artifacts or states to someone else that entered one (ensuring no-one gets their own). That person designs a kingdom card that uses the state/artifact by 12/31. state/artifact assignments are here
🡆3) On 12/31, I'll give each person who has entered three cards (with their states or artifacts) that they had no design input on. Each person ranks their assigned judging cards with gold/silver/copper (and provides input if they want) back to me via DM by 1/7, I toss all of that in a spreadsheet, and google sheets tells me who the winner is.

Here's the nuts, bolts, and minutia:
• Please enter if you're ok with participating in all three legs of the contest
• Artifacts/States that refer to a card (like Border Guard's artifacts) - feel free to say "when you play X, instead do <your effect here>"
• Artifacts should be anything with a tug-of-war element (so, lost in the woods would be an artifact for this contest); states should be along the lines of Envious or Deluded, where theres one for each player
• Artifacts and states should probably be an under $3 or flat-out-undesirable effect. For example, Lost In The Woods stops your Fools from working - an undesirable effect. The Key, that's a pretty decent effect, probably worth $2 or $3. Use your best judgement, don't make an "i win".
• The Kingdom card - and let's keep them all kingdom cards, please, no landscapes or out-of-supply cards - that gives out the artifact or state should be just a Kingdom card, not a traveller line, not a split pile, not a castles or knights type pile.
• When designing a kingdom card, if you have to change around some of the text on the Artifact/State to make it work, that's fine; please try to keep the overall intent of the Artifact/State the same though.
• The scoring for Gold / Silver / Copper will give points to the Kingdom card designer and the Artifact designer. Points are as follows:
RankPoints for card designerPoints for artifact/state designer
Gold86
Silver53
Copper20
• This is for fun. Please be light with your critiques.

I'm going to be entering, but if someone doesn't complete a leg of this, i'll forfeit my spot so the rest of yall can still participate.

DATES AND DEADLINES:
12/23 - 24 hour notice on artifacts/states
12/24 - Closing entry on artifacts/states, I'll DM everyone which artifact/state they'll be designing a card to go with
12/30 - 24 hour notice on kingdom cards
12/31 - Closing entry on kingdom cards, I'll DM everyone which THREE kingdom cards with artifacts they'll be ranking.
1/6 - 24 hour notice on judging. Please note that judging happens via DM to me (i'll post any commentary you want to add for individual cards/artifacts/states)
1/7 - I'll post results and crown the Solstice Sovereign. You'll have bragging rights until next year.

I believe we do need a minimum of 5 people for this to work but I think we can hit that no problem, right?

Good luck, and have a happy and safe holiday season.

Oh and shoutout to emtzalex for coming up with the design of this contest over in the WDC ideas thread.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 09:36:51 pm by spineflu »

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
Re: ⭐Holiday Fan Card Contest: Round Robin⭐
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2021, 06:03:58 pm »
+2

1) Between NOW and 12/24, design a state or artifact for this.
2) On 12/24, I'll randomly assign one of the entered artifacts or states to someone else that entered one (ensuring no-one gets their own). That person designs a kingdom card that uses the state/artifact by 12/31

To clarify, should we post our Artifact/State submission here, or DM them to you?

• Artifacts should be anything with a tug-of-war element (so, lost in the woods would be an artifact for this contest); states should be along the lines of Envious or Deluded, where a player

Are you saying that for a State there should be a copy for each player?
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2021, 06:14:23 pm »
+1

1) Between NOW and 12/24, design a state or artifact for this.
2) On 12/24, I'll randomly assign one of the entered artifacts or states to someone else that entered one (ensuring no-one gets their own). That person designs a kingdom card that uses the state/artifact by 12/31

To clarify, should we post our Artifact/State submission here, or DM them to you?
Post the Artifact/State (and, in a week, also the kingdom card) in this thread. Only the judging should get DM'd to me.

• Artifacts should be anything with a tug-of-war element (so, lost in the woods would be an artifact for this contest); states should be along the lines of Envious or Deluded, where a player

Are you saying that for a State there should be a copy for each player?
yes, like is the case with Envious, Deluded, Miserable, and Twice Miserable. They don't have to be (and probably shouldn't be, without a good reason) double-sided though. Also yeah i definitely stopped in the middle of a sen
« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 06:19:19 pm by spineflu »

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2021, 06:23:22 pm »
+1

anyhow here's my entry. It's a pearl diver that only picks up silver.

Sunken Treasure • Artifact
At the start of your turn, reveal the bottom card of your deck. If it's Silver, put it into your hand.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2021, 07:23:49 pm »
+4

Hidden Pocket
Artifact
Whenever you shuffle, you may choose up to 4 cards to leave in your discard pile.

Mahowrath

• Spy
  • Respect: +192
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2021, 09:02:59 pm »
+1

Amulet of Protection
Artifact
You are unaffected by hexes

Violet CLM

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +444
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2021, 09:34:55 pm »

Forbidden
State
For the rest of the game, when any player (including you) plays X, it doesn't affect you.

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2021, 10:24:56 pm »

Concussed
State
At the start of your turn, return this, and after you play a card this turn, if you have more than 4 cards in hand, discard a card.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2021, 03:13:24 pm by Xen3k »

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +476
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2021, 11:27:59 pm »

Cure
Artifact
At the start of your turn, you may trash a Curse from your hand to gain a Copper and an Estate to your hand.
they/them

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2021, 12:55:54 am »
+1

Cure
Artifact
At the start of your turn, you may trash a Curse from your hand to gain a Copper and an Estate to your hand.

This would make almost no difference in a game. First, you have to happen to have a Curse in your starting hand. Then, you have the option of trashing one junk card to get two slightly less bad junk cards. I don't think it would be a good idea to use it even when you had the opportunity unless it was near the end of the game already.

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +476
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2021, 12:45:45 pm »
+1

Cure
Artifact

This would make almost no difference in a game. First, you have to happen to have a Curse in your starting hand. Then, you have the option of trashing one junk card to get two slightly less bad junk cards. I don't think it would be a good idea to use it even when you had the opportunity unless it was near the end of the game already.

This is less designed to be good on its own, more allow someone to use its effects to create a card that potentially likes Copper/Estate and guarantees Curse is used somehow.
they/them

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2021, 05:22:51 pm »
+1

Question: Are States inherently limited to one per player at any given time?  E.g., if there's a card that says "Take [X] state", would it automatically fail if you already have the State, or could you take a 2nd copy of that State, assuming there's one available?
They/them

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2021, 05:28:31 pm »

Forbidden
State
For the rest of the game, when any player (including you) plays X, it doesn't affect you.

This seems like it might work better as an Artifact. As a State, it makes whatever card gives you it a one-time-use card, making it junk for the remainder of the game. But as an Artifact, you could have a card that says "Do X, then take Forbidden". Then Forbidden would be like Lost in the Woods, and would typically end up moving between players (unless only one player buys that card)
They/them

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2021, 06:43:59 pm »
+1

Prepared
State
At the start of your Clean-Up phase, return this. Then, +1 Card at the end of your turn per 3 differently-named cards in play (rounded down).

A State which rewards variety with a larger hand for your next turn. It's rare that it's not at least as good as Flag, and it's not hard to get it to be as good as Way of the Squirrel - although since it's a State you can only get the advantage once per turn. In most games, it would be capped at +4 cards (3 Basic treasures + 10 Kingdom cards assuming none are alt-VP = maximum of 13 differently-named cards in play). In games with split piles, non-supply cards, or Knights, you could potentially get more than that, but it would be difficult. Even the +4 would be hard, so most of the time, the card that gives you this State would net +2 or +3 cards for your next hand, a decent but not overpowering advantage

EDIT: This card is assuming a general one-copy-per-player rule. If this rule is not taken as valid, I would suggest that a card that gives it should have a "If you do not already have Prepared, take Prepared" clause

EDIT 2: I slightly altered the wording to specify "your Clean-Up phase", in case you gain the State on someone else's turn, giving it a bit more flexibility - this phrasing makes it work better for an Action card that gives the State to other players (i.e., a Council Room-style bonus), as well as potential edge cases in cards that give it to yourself if you end up playing those cards on someone else's turn
« Last Edit: December 22, 2021, 12:48:13 am by mxdata »
They/them

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2021, 07:02:46 pm »
+3

Question: Are States inherently limited to one per player at any given time?  E.g., if there's a card that says "Take [X] state", would it automatically fail if you already have the State, or could you take a 2nd copy of that State, assuming there's one available?

unclear. We've only got a couple states as-is, so canonwise there's not a ton to go off of. I think for simplicity's sake, having a default rule be "you can't stack multiple of the same state" is fine.

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2021, 01:58:17 am »
+1

unclear. We've only got a couple states as-is, so canonwise there's not a ton to go off of. I think for simplicity's sake, having a default rule be "you can't stack multiple of the same state" is fine.

I'll point out that of the official states, you can only get Deluded/Envious "if you don't have Deluded or Envious.'
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2021, 07:45:57 am »

I'll point out that of the official states, you can only get Deluded/Envious "if you don't have Deluded or Envious.'

And the other two States also have something explicitly preventing you from taking multiple copies; Lost in the Woods is only taken if you aren't already the player with it, and even if Fool didn't have that wording, there's only one copy of it; and the Miserable/Twice Miserable state is only taken if you haven't already been affected by Misery.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2021, 08:09:42 am »
+2

right but i think this is an artifact of paper play, where deluded is on the reverse of envious, to get around the question "how do we, in a six player game where everyone has Deluded, take Envious"

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2021, 12:08:51 pm »
+3

Sorry, I wasn't clear - it was late and I was tired and I didn't articulate myself well. The cards that hand out states have wordings that only allow you to take them if you don't already have them. My point was that if you are deluded, you can't be made deluded again, not necessarily because of the rules or component limitatuons, but because the card says so.

Besides, a state that you can get multiples of is probably better implemented as a token mechanic of some sort, either as a new named token or a mat with coin tokens.
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2021, 12:09:09 pm »

right but i think this is an artifact of paper play, where deluded is on the reverse of envious, to get around the question "how do we, in a six player game where everyone has Deluded, take Envious"

TBF, that question wouldn't even arise in a 2- or 3-player game where there'd be no problem in taking one of each (or even in a 6-player game in the case of receiving a Hex from gaining Cursed Village or playing Leprechaun), so I think that's a fair point to raise that there's no inherent one-copy-max-per-player rule for States, so it might make sense to state on a card with a "Take [X] State" instruction "If you do not already have [X] ..."

And the other two States also have something explicitly preventing you from taking multiple copies; Lost in the Woods is only taken if you aren't already the player with it, and even if Fool didn't have that wording, there's only one copy of it; and the Miserable/Twice Miserable state is only taken if you haven't already been affected by Misery.

I think the clause with Fool is really more about not getting 3 Boons every time you play it (and as you said, there's only one copy anyways, so the question doesn't even arise with that), while with Miserable/Twice Miserable, the phrasing is about covering both the scenario where you don't have Miserable and where you do, so neither one is really unambiguously "this phrasing is used to prevent you from getting two copies of the same State"
They/them

Erick648

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +628
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2021, 04:30:49 pm »

I decided to stay a bit seasonal with this one.  This is generally harmful, but it could also be a helpful thinner if you still have only Coppers.  It could be a challenge to craft the right companion for this given its variable impact, but I think it could create interesting strategic decisions if done properly.

EDIT:  This probably works regardless of whether States stack, since stacking Generous would eventually just become Mint's on-buy effect.  Stacking it could be devastating if it's given out by an Attack, but the variable nature of the effect makes me suspect that it will probably be used as a self-inflicted drawback/bonus rather than as an Attack.  If the person designing the card does use it as an Attack, then it will probably be important that it not stack.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 04:49:43 pm by Erick648 »
Duplicate duplicates Duplicates duplicate Duplicates duplicate.

Rene Descartes taught me to believe in myself.

How much Loot could a Looter loot if a Looter could loot Loot?

Violet CLM

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +444
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2021, 07:00:09 pm »
+2

Forbidden
State

This seems like it might work better as an Artifact. As a State, it makes whatever card gives you it a one-time-use card, making it junk for the remainder of the game. But as an Artifact, you could have a card that says "Do X, then take Forbidden". Then Forbidden would be like Lost in the Woods, and would typically end up moving between players (unless only one player buys that card)
The format I expect is "Choose one: [something that affects all players], or [something that affects only you] and take Forbidden." But it might end up being something else entirely, by nature of round robinning!

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2021, 04:21:55 am »
+3

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2021, 07:58:23 am »
+2

Confused
State

During you turns, playing an Action card does not cost an Action. Playing a Treasure card during your Buy phase costs an Action.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2021, 12:23:39 pm »
+2

Quote from: Expansionist
EXPANSIONIST
STATE
When you buy a Victory card, return this, and
choose two: +1 Buy; +$2; +1 Coffers; or
+1VP. The choices must be different.

From my notes, it looks like I came up with this while designing Level cards, but I honestly don't remember the connection. I really liked it, but did not have a good Kingdom card to pair it with (which is actually why I suggested this contest).

he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 21 queries.