Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Trickiest cards to play well?  (Read 1891 times)

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
Trickiest cards to play well?
« on: March 30, 2012, 09:40:02 am »

What's your vote for the trickiest card to play well? To be more specific: for what card is there the greatest difference between how a great player would use the card and how a bad player would use the card?

I'm guessing that candidates will include cards like Inn, Mandarin, and Horn of Plenty. I'm not looking for cards where the greatest difference between poor and expert play is finding niche situations in which the card shines (e.g., Bureaucrat or Coppersmith), nor am I looking for cards where the difference is simply that good players know how to exploit the card for megaturns (e.g., multi-Goons decks).

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
Re: Trickiest cards to play well?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 09:57:47 am »

Mandarin because the on gain effect is so tricky to utilize for great benefit. Aprentice because it's easy to trash Estates, but then you have to balance the cards you trash against the cards you still want in the deck. Workshop because you got to know when to use it and for what reason (not like Bureaucrat or Coppersmith but more like HoP). HoP because you have to balance your deck nicely for it to be able to get the stuff you want from it.

Also, Witch because it's hard to know how to play an action card every time it shows up in your hand to hurt your opponent.

RisingJaguar

• Minion
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 10:03:50 am »

Similar to mandarin (although i think this one is much harder), Inn for its on-gain effect. 

Scrying pool can't be easy to recognize good and bad situations for this card. 

Tactician, because I think people collide tactcian with strong money far too often. 

Of course, I might be taking the term differently.  How to USE a card is how to incorporate it in your deck not actually play the card, because the cards above aren't hard to actually play. 

verikt

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +65
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 03:58:42 am »

To be more specific: for what card is there the greatest difference between how a great player would use the card and how a bad player would use the card?
Copper

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 04:24:37 am »
+1

Embargo.

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
  • Respect: +236
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 12:58:33 pm »

Saboteur
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 01:12:24 pm »

Outposts are used so badly by beginners that great players only need to use them for modest advantage to generate a great difference between good and bad play.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.