Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #136: ‘Tis the Season  (Read 6706 times)

AJL828

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJL828
  • Respect: +394
    • View Profile
Weekly Design Contest #136: ‘Tis the Season
« on: December 01, 2021, 11:03:47 am »
+8

Weekly Design Contest 136: ‘Tis the Season

December has just begun, which means the holidays are soon around the corner. Therefore to help everybody get into the holiday spirit, here’s the contest for this week (I checked and the same idea was done 2 years ago, so I’m not repeating the idea too soon)

Design a card that provides some sort of benefit to all other players either when played (exs. Council Room, Bishop, Vault) or gained (Lost City, Embassy). Events are also allowed (like Bargain) and I suppose if you really thought about it you could make a Project or Way as well, so I’ll allow those.

Remember that a “benefit” doesn’t always have to help your opponent (sometimes they don’t want that free Silver). Happy Holidays and happy designing! :D

EDIT: Submissions are open until Dec. 8, 8 PM EST
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 05:49:22 pm by AJL828 »
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #136: ‘Tis the Season
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2021, 12:40:00 pm »
+1

Desolate Village
$4 - Action
+1 Card and +2 Actions.
You may trash a card from your hand.
When you gain this, each other player may trash a card from their hand.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2021, 05:09:09 pm »

Does it have to benefit all other players?

AJL828

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJL828
  • Respect: +394
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2021, 05:49:02 pm »

Does it have to benefit all other players?

Yep, that’s the idea. I’ll update the original post for that detail.
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

Erick648

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +628
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2021, 11:22:00 pm »
+3

An "iron" variant with Night as a fourth type option (since Night cards usually aren't Action/Treasure/Victory/Curse and vice-versa).  You'll always have at least one Night card you can gain because you can gain another Santa's Workshop.  Instead of a one-time bonus, you get to enact an ongoing bonus for everyone that gives a bit more control to you:  The toy's owners get the option to save the +Action or +$ and the option to make the +Card a card you saved from the previous turn. 

I originally was going to have the fourth one be +Buy to complete the set, but it didn't seem as interesting, and I wanted a way to take the toys out of play so the bonuses wouldn't necessarily be permanent.  So instead you can use Santa's list to get everyone's toys taken away---or get your own toys taken away if you get greedy and use Santa's Workshop to get another Santa's Workshop.
Duplicate duplicates Duplicates duplicate Duplicates duplicate.

Rene Descartes taught me to believe in myself.

How much Loot could a Looter loot if a Looter could loot Loot?

The Alchemist

• Golem
  • Respect: +214
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2021, 06:17:27 am »

We've already had a design contest with this name btw: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=20842.0
Of course, there's nothing wrong with doubling up, that contest was about Season cards!

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2021, 11:01:05 am »

Lab is significantly better than Scheme, so Toy Train should probably provide a Horse.

or give everyone else an optional Moon's Gift/Harbinger
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 04:16:33 pm by spineflu »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2021, 11:27:04 am »
+2

Lab is significantly better than Scheme, so Toy Train should probably provide a Horse.

Did you miss that you also get the +1 Card? It's Scheme + Lab for you, not just Scheme.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2021, 01:23:25 pm »
+1

Did you miss that you also get the +1 Card? It's Scheme + Lab for you, not just Scheme.

It's not a Scheme, since you are topdecking a card from your hand, rather than an Action you have in play. It's considerably weaker than Scheme, since it is only useful when (1) you've drawn a card dead; (2) you have more $ than you need and want to reserve a Treasure for the following turn; (3) trying to collide cards (Treasure Maps, Moneylender with Copper, etc.); or (4) when you've drawn your deck and have more drawing capacity that would be useless if played. Scheme is much better because generally speaking a card you would want on top of your deck (i.e. in next turn's hand) is also a card you would want to play on the current turn.

That said, an Artifact that let you Scheme a card every turn would be way too powerful (unless it was much harder to gain).
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2021, 04:14:06 pm »
+1

I'm glad we get to revisit this, since that means I can enter the reworked version of my way-too-long original entry from last time which has lived rent free in my brain for two years:

Haunt • $5 • Project
Gain a Ghost of Christmas Past
-
At the end of the game, -6VP

Ghost of Christmas Past • $0* • Night - Duration - Traveller
Choose a Treasure from your discard pile and set it aside with this. At the start of your next turn, play it twice.
-
When you discard this from play, you may exchange it for a Ghost of Christmas Present.
(This is not in the Supply)
Ghost of Christmas Present • $0* • Night - Duration - Traveller
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal an Action card and set it aside with this (discard the rest). At the start of your next turn, play it twice.
-
When you discard this from play, you may exchange it for a Ghost of Christmas Yet To Come
Ghost of Christmas Yet To Come • $0* • Night - Duration - Traveller
Gain an Action costing up to $4 from the Supply and set it aside with this. At the start of your next turn, play it twice, then +9VP, each player (including you) gets +2 Coffers, and trash this.

Design notes:
there's 6/pile, since you can't double up on buying a project
All the ghosts are based off the spirit Ghost. Thematically they tie to their "time" - past looks back (into the discard), present looks to the immediate future, yet to come works like summon and is only ever done once - after all, there's only one future, but many times to consider pasts and present. Completing the cycle nets you 3VP, but starting too late, not advancing sufficiently, or otherwise bailing on them (via trashing or what have you) gives you a –6VP for the hubris.

Side note:
AJL828, I'm sorry for entering a traveller line. I hope they're sufficiently similar that it's not too much of a situation to judge - I know how rough that can be.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 04:15:48 pm by spineflu »

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2021, 09:54:02 pm »
+4

Here's my entry this week. You get a Mine and you get a Mine! Royal Mines upgrades a Copper straight to Gold (along with an extra Buy), at the cost of letting your opponents upgrade a Copper to Silver. Obviously strongest in the early game, though the gift to your opponents is quite a generous one. That said, each Copper they upgrade to Silver is a Copper they can't now upgrade to Gold. The +Buy can allow for continued Gold gains once starting Coppers are gone by letting you buy additional Coppers.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 12:28:32 am by 4est »

Snes

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2021, 01:09:40 am »
+4

Choir
+1 Action
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a Treasure card and an Action card. Put those cards into your hand and discard the rest. Each opponent does the same, except they choose one and put it on top and discard the rest.
$5 - Action

First ever contest entry.  My idea was to take the Farming Village model and apply it to Laboratory, eliminating the potential for dead draws by ensuring that you get the two most useful card types.  Hopefully the free draw sculpting it gives your opponents offsets the advantage enough that it still works at the same cost as the original.  If anyone has any art that could work, let me know and I'll make a render.

There is an unfortunate edge-case where you reveal a single card that is both a Treasure and an Action (ie. Crown or any +$ card while you have Capitalism) and have to stop there.  I could change the wording to only stop when you've revealed any two cards that are Treasures and/or Actions, but that gets pretty wordy, and it's pushing the word limit as it is.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 01:20:24 pm by Snes »
Do you remember where we all came from?
Do you remember what it's all about?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2021, 01:33:36 am »
+2

First ever contest entry.

Choir
+1 Action
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a Treasure card and an Action card. Put those cards into your hand and discard the rest. Each opponent does the same, except they choose one and put it on top and discard the rest.
$5 - Action

Seems pretty cool. And welcome to the forums!

If the first card you reveal is e.g. Crown, I assume you stop there?

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2021, 03:41:49 am »
+3

Grand Wharf
Action - Duration
$6
Now and at the start of your next turn: +3 Cards and +1 Buy
-
While this is in play, each other player gets +1 Card at the start of their turn

An upgraded version of Wharf, it gives you one extra card compared to standard Wharf on both the current and next turn. However, your opponents also benefit, as they get a +1 Card bonus, similar to Council Room, except that the bonus card is at the start of their turn, and thus, is not affected by any discard attacks. In addition, if your opponent gets a second turn, such as with Outpost, the +1 Card applies to both turns. I initially had it as "at the start of each player's turn", which would mean that the person who played it would get a total of +4 Cards for the duration effect, but that seemed too strong, so I reduced it to "each other player's turn"

EDIT: Corrected the wording on the under-the-line part
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 09:57:54 pm by mxdata »
They/them

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2021, 05:52:59 am »
+6

Looking Glass
$4 - Treasure - Command
Play a non-Command Treasure from the Supply, leaving it there.
Each other player may gain a copy of it.

In basic Kingdoms, Looking Glass offers you the flexibility of playing it as a Copper, Silver, or Gold, with the caveat that your opponents may choose to gain a copy of the emulated card.  I think it will probably get played most often as a Silver, with players only needing to play it as a Gold to hit certain price points.

Looking Glass will be more interesting when there are Kingdom Treasures available e.g. Scepters and even Loan.  There is a strong combo with Capital, but if opponents choose to gain Capitals, the pile will eventually empty and so players will no longer be able to exploit the interaction between Looking Glass and Capital.  However, if it turns out to be broken, I suppose the card could be revised to have similar wording to the original Overlord in order to avoid that.

There is no cost restriction, so Looking Glass can be played as Platinum or Fortune; players would just need to assess whether they will benefit more than their opponents.

There is a danger of piles running low quickly in games with more than one Kingdom Treasure (or Capitalism games), but those situations should be rare.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 05:54:07 am by Timinou »

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2021, 06:16:56 am »

Charlatan (Action, $5)

+3 Cards
+1 Action
———
When you gain this, each other player may play an Action card from their hand.

Non-terminal big draw, but your opponents get to play a card for free, possibly improving their hand and/or attacking everyone. For clarity, cards are played in clockwise order.

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2021, 07:21:07 am »
+1

Charlatan (Action, $5)

+3 Cards
+1 Action
———

Non-terminal big draw, but your opponents get to play a card for free, possibly improving their hand and/or attacking everyone. For clarity, cards are played in clockwise order.
This is obviously too good. It is two Labs vs something that is weaker than a Village (Coins and Buys evaporate when it is not your turn, Draw can be hurt by Militias).

There are edge cases where your opponents could actually do quite a lot on a Charlatan turn (e.g. if they have two King's Courts and a draw card in hand to kick off and they have gainers or Remodelers in their deck).  But in general, yes, a lot of Action cards don't provide much value if played outside your turn.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 07:22:27 am by Timinou »

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2021, 07:50:57 am »

Charlatan (Action, $5)

+3 Cards
+1 Action
———

This is obviously too good. It is two Labs vs something that is weaker than a Village (Coins and Buys evaporate when it is not your turn, Draw can be hurt by Militias).

There are edge cases where your opponents could actually do quite a lot on a Charlatan turn (e.g. if they have two King's Courts and a draw card in hand to kick off and they have gainers or Remodelers in their deck).  But in general, yes, a lot of Action cards don't provide much value if played outside your turn.

Would it work better if it just gave +4 Cards instead, rather than the nonterminal card draw?

Snes

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2021, 09:23:40 am »
+1

Choir
+1 Action
$5 - Action

That's a good point, I hadn't considered the Action - Treasure edge-case.  I suppose it would also interact poorly with Capitalism for the same reason.  Do you think it's worth changing the card so it works as intended in those cases, or should I just accept that negative interaction as an unfortunate consequence of the design?
Do you remember where we all came from?
Do you remember what it's all about?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2021, 09:41:06 am »
+2

Choir
+1 Action
$5 - Action

That's a good point, I hadn't considered the Action - Treasure edge-case.  I suppose it would also interact poorly with Capitalism for the same reason.  Do you think it's worth changing the card so it works as intended in those cases, or should I just accept that negative interaction as an unfortunate consequence of the design?

As a rule I’d suggest just accepting it, unless you have a really elegant fix that doesn’t add much text. Those cases are going to be rare anyway.

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2021, 10:20:57 am »
+3

Redevelopment
cost $4 - Action
Trash a card from your hand.
Gain a card costing up to $3 more than it.
Each other player may trash a card from their hand.
If they do, they gain a card costing exactly $1 more than it.

EDIT: cost $3 -> $4. It was too easy to 3-pile out.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 06:41:15 pm by majiponi »

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2021, 11:16:30 am »
+5

Redevelopment
cost $3 - Action
Trash a card from your hand.
Gain a card costing up to $3 more than it.
Each other player may trash a card from their hand.
If they do, they gain a card costing exactly $1 more than it.
Expand is priced at $7 because it does net you $5s. Free trash (nobody wants to blow up their Estates when they can Expand them later) is nice but does not compensate for that.

So this concept does not work (at any price).

ah yes no one would ever trash an estate when someone played bishop because they could play their own bishop and double its point value
and no one ever trashes coppers with governor when they could instead expand/mine them into silvers

please be a little more diplomatic/less sweeping with your critique.

I agree at $3 this is maybe underpriced, but at $5 its probably fine.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 11:24:22 am by spineflu »

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2021, 12:27:54 pm »
+2

Not only that, but if you don't intent on freely trashing your Estates (I wouldn't, I'd trash these suckers in a heartbeat, Expand or not, so the notion that nobody would do it fails), you can still snipe a Copper, free of charge. That's desirable in my book.

I too would have this card costing .
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 02:29:21 pm by X-tra »
Bottom text

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2021, 02:35:50 pm »
+1

Getting a $5 is significantly better than getting a Silver or +1VP.

The main issue is that you cannot fix this card via changing the price. Expand and Altar, the only two official cards which trash and gain a $5, are not cards you can normally open with. This is not an accidental feature of these very cards but an intentional design decision.

Estate for a Silver is good value when it's offered to you freely, that's the difference. You're helping your opponents thin down their junky starting cards (Copper trash) while adding economy (Estate trash). A perfect recipe to make for a consistent deck that can afford many . Sometimes there are good Kindgom cards to gain instead of Silver too. I don't think there's something so blantatly broken about this card that it's impossible to "fix".
Bottom text

arowdok

• Spy
  • Respect: +129
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2021, 02:37:39 pm »
+1

I might have gotten a bit carried away with this pile but here is a full ballad of gifts for you and your loved ones this season. Also quiet a few edits here from the 1st posting, Also note these cards expect you to play a 30 card Spoils pile and a weird gain rule so if there are for example only 8 horses in the pile and a PlayerThree gains Eight Maids A-Milking so PlayerThree would gain 3 Horses, Player would gain 3 Horses, PlayerTwo would gain 2 Horses.

A Pear Tree
$1
Treasure - Victory - Carol
While this is in play, Carol cards cost $1 less.
-
1%
-
When you gain this, at the end of this turn, each player gets +1 Coffers.
Two Turtle Doves
-
$2
2%
-
When you gain this, each player gains 2 Silvers.
Three French Hens
$3
-
3%
-
When you gain this, each player gets +3 Villagers.
Four Calling Birds
$4
-
4%
-
When you gain this, each player trashes up to 4 cards from their hand.
Five Gold Rings
$5
-
5%
-
When you gain this, each player gains 5 Spoils.
Six Geese A-Laying
$6
-
6%
-
When you gain this, each player gains a card costing up to $6 onto their deck.
Seven Swans A-Swimming
$7
-
7%
-
When you gain this, each player looks at the top 7 cards of their deck, discards any number, and puts the rest back in any order.
Eight Maids A-Milking
$8
-
8%
-
When you gain this, each player gains 8 Horses.
Nine Ladies Dancing
$9
-
9%
-
When you gain this, each player reveals the top 9 cards of their deck and may Exile any number of them, and discards the rest.
Ten Lords A-Leaping
$10
-
10%
-
When you gain this, each player gets +10 Villagers.
Eleven Pipers Piping
$11
-
11%
-
When you gain this, at the end of this turn, each player gets +11 Coffers.
Twelve Drummers Drumming
$12
+$1 per Carol card you have in play.
-
12%
-
When you gain this, each player reveals their hand and the top 12 cards of their deck. Each player gets +1% per Victory card they revealed this way.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 07:41:06 pm by arowdok »
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 21 queries.