Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #135: Go Big or Go Home!  (Read 5825 times)

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
Weekly Design Contest #135: Go Big or Go Home!
« on: November 22, 2021, 01:41:13 pm »
+6

Design a card(-shaped thing) that costs $7 or more.

It can be a normal Kingdom card, an Event or a Project.

I will judge based on how well it merits its high price tag, its simplicity and how fun it looks to play.

For simplicity's sake, I will disallow split piles, or anything that requires an additional card in order to gain it.

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #135: Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2021, 02:05:49 pm »

Revitalize
$7 - Project
At the start of your turn, you may trash a card from your hand. If you do, you may gain a differently-named card to your hand that costs equal to or less than it.

Edit: changed name from Decorate to Revitalize.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 03:41:58 pm by JW »

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2021, 04:14:10 pm »
+1

Design a card(-shaped thing) that costs $7 or more.

It can be a normal Kingdom card, an Event or a Project.

I will judge based on how well it merits its high price tag, its simplicity and how fun it looks to play.

For simplicity's sake, I will disallow split piles, or anything that requires an additional card in order to gain it.

I like how this is basically the opposite of the previous contest!

Would something that includes debt or potion qualify? E.g., would Fortune qualify, if it weren't a split pile?

What about cards like Peddler or Animal Fair which nominally cost $7 or more, but can often be gained for cheaper without standard price-reduction?
They/them

Mahowrath

• Spy
  • Respect: +192
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2021, 04:58:36 pm »
+2

Process
$8 - Action
+1 Action
Trash a non-duration card you have in play. Gain a card with the same cost.
---
On your turns, this costs $1 less per Action you have in play

kru5h

• Duke
  • Respect: +372
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2021, 10:11:43 pm »
+4

Financier

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2021, 01:01:08 am »
+1

Bureaucracy
Project - $8
When you gain a card that isn't a Silver, gain a Silver onto your deck
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 09:56:58 am by NoMoreFun »

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2021, 07:25:40 am »

I've also gone down a tfb route:

Regenerate - Event, $7 cost.
Set aside any number of cards from your hand. For each one, trash it, then gain a card costing up to $2 more than it.
Assess how much you want to play during the turn, and you much you want to remodel.

Edit: changed from Remodel any number of times because Fortress, thanks silverspawn and emtzalex below.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 04:10:13 am by Aquila »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2021, 07:31:45 am »
+3

First to play this on Fortress wins the game by piling Duchess+Estate+Copper.

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2021, 09:22:37 am »
+3

Thanks to Xen3k and emtzalex for pointing out the issues with the wording; I've edited the text as per emtzalex's suggestion

Original:

There's probably some crazy combo with Sceptre, but you said to go big.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 04:39:16 pm by Timinou »

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2021, 09:42:48 am »

Queen's Park
cost $7 - Action
Gain a card costing up to $7 to your hand.

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2021, 10:12:51 am »
+1

Quick question: who chooses whether the other players receive the next hex or discard a copy of the card gained? The wording is ambiguous currently.

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2021, 11:49:40 am »
+1

Quick question: who chooses whether the other players receive the next hex or discard a copy of the card gained? The wording is ambiguous currently.

It should be the opponent - thanks for pointing out the ambiguity.  I will add “their choice” similar to how Torturer is worded.

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2021, 12:08:58 pm »
+1

I've also gone down a tfb route:

Regenerate - Event, $7 cost.
Do this any number of times: trash a card from your hand. Gain a differently named card costing up to $2 more than it.
Differently named because Villa and Cavalry. If both cards are in the game, then... well it's a 3 card combo, so I'd let it pass.

Assess how much you want to play during the turn, and you much you want to remodel.
First to play this on Fortress wins the game by piling Duchess+Estate+Copper.

I presume silverspawn meant Duchy, but either way their point still stands. Firing this with a single Fortress in hand allows a player to pile the Duchies and Estates--likely netting 32VP/48VP--as well as any Alt-VP card (except the last 4 Castles), and then pile at least one Kingdom card pile (only $7 or $8 cards are out of reach, and there are not enough of those to fill a kingdom).

A solution would be for the player to set aside as many cards as they want, then to remodel those cards. This loses some synergies with certain on-trash abilities (e.g. Rats, Cultists), but I think the Fortress issue is worth that cost.

It should be the opponent - thanks for pointing out the ambiguity.  I will add “their choice” similar to how Torturer is worded.

If you do this, you should technically add "(or reveals they can't)" after "discards a copy of it" to deal with accountability issues (see Villain).

When I first saw the card I presumed they had to discard the copy to avoid the Hex (akin to Mountebank). In that case the language should be: "Each other player may discard a copy of it. If they don’t, they receive the next Hex."
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2021, 04:08:04 pm »
+4

Armada
$7 - Action - Attack - Duration
Each other player with 4 or more cards in hand discards a card. If any Victory card discarded this way, +2VP.
At start of your next turn: +4 Cards.

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2021, 04:17:23 pm »

If you do this, you should technically add "(or reveals they can't)" after "discards a copy of it" to deal with accountability issues (see Villain).

When I first saw the card I presumed they had to discard the copy to avoid the Hex (akin to Mountebank). In that case the language should be: "Each other player may discard a copy of it. If they don’t, they receive the next Hex."

Thanks - you're right.  The Torturer wording wouldn't work in this case, since the intention is that the opponent gets hexed if they choose not to or can't discard a copy of the gained card.

AJL828

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJL828
  • Respect: +394
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2021, 05:12:32 pm »
+4

Colosseum
Project ($7)

Whenever you gain a card other than with this, you may gain a cheaper card that shares a type with it.

Another idea I got from mish-mashing some existing cards (this time Haggler and Sewers). I made the extra gaining optional to keep you from possibly getting junked up, and blocked it from its own gains to make sure things don't accelerate too quickly. Unlike Haggler it can gain you some extra Victory cards near the end of the game, and it also doesn't require any terminal or stop card space.
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2021, 09:07:13 pm »
+9

Here's my entry this week. King's Isle is Victory card that let's you Exile as many cards as you like from your hand when you gain it. $7 is a lot to pay for just a Duchy but throw in the ability to remove bunch of stuff from your deck at once and it's well worth the price of admission, provided you actually have things left in your hand to Exile. On boards with weak trashing, this can be your midgame thinner like Forge. And in the endgame, a well-timed King's Isle or two can run clean-up duty to help your greening deck get across the finish line.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2021, 12:37:45 am »

Landscaper
$7  Action - Reserve
+1 Action.
+$1.
Put this on your tavern mat.
-
When you gain a victory card, you may call this for +1 VP and +1 Coffers. If it cost at least $5, +2 VP and +1 Coffers instead.

A reserve Groundskeeper variant. I tried to think of a name similar to Groundskeeper that was more appropriate for the setting, but I couldn't think of one.

The Alchemist

• Golem
  • Respect: +214
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2021, 05:17:26 am »
+1

I made an entire half-expansion with basically this premise here haha: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=20619.0

If you will permit me to use a card from it, I choose this:

Here's the flavor text:
"Are all your action cards too complicated with all their "mechanics" and "words" and what not? Well refine them down into plain ol' vanilla! Turn your 10 native villages into regular, normal, not-a-novel-of-a-description villages! Or peddler variants, or even labs! This card is unique in giving a choice that doesn't need to be unique. Choose +3 cards, or $3, or +1 action and +2 buys if that's your thing. The new bonuses are considered instructions, so playing a second refinery and naming the same card again overrides the effect of the first refinery, so they don’t stack."

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2021, 06:45:29 am »
+4

Border Wall • $7 • Project
When you gain a card, you may immediately Exile it by discarding cards from your hand equal to the number of copies of it on your Exile mat.

Updated. Now it still has the same functionality as the former version, but some expanded functionality too. The first copy is free to exile, the second costs a card, etc. While there are "better" exilers (sanctuary, bounty hunter maybe, kinda sorta Displace, debatably way of the worm), there's only a few cards that can do arbitrary exiling for you, and they almost unilaterally either omit victory cards (invest, transport) or rely on collision (any card-based ones). This one is quasi automatic.

old version:

Border Wall - $7 - Project
When you gain a card, if you do not have a copy of it in Exile, you may Exile it.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 01:37:54 pm by spineflu »

arowdok

• Spy
  • Respect: +129
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2021, 12:49:54 pm »

When you gain a card, if you do not have a copy of it in Exile, you may Exile it.

Is this suppose to work with green cards because that feels insane right? Gain a Province gain another for free and the 2nd one does not clutter the deck.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2021, 01:02:13 pm »

Is this suppose to work with green cards because that feels insane right? Gain a Province gain another for free and the 2nd one does not clutter the deck.

nah, you exile the one you gain. its just the decluttering.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2021, 03:03:19 pm »
+4

You might wanna word it as something like "Exile it instead".

Replacing the gaining instead of adding something to it opens up a new can of worms. Trader was changed to avoid that for a reason.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2021, 12:14:50 pm »

Master
Action $7

Choose 2: +2 Cards; +2 Actions; +2 Buys; +$2; gain 2 Silvers or trash 2 cards from your hand.
The choices must be different.

I found this challenge harder than it first appears. It seems high powered concepts are more likely to have issues when you start thinking through the implications of them. I had a few ideas that I scrapped when trying to think them through. As a result I decided to go back to basics and go for a high powered member of the Pawn/Steward family.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #135: Go Big or Go Home
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2021, 01:17:39 pm »
+2

( ... )

i mean theres a middle ground too - "exile the gained card". no verbswapping, no ambiguity.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 22 queries.