Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #134: This is Worthless  (Read 5845 times)

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
Weekly Design Contest #134: This is Worthless
« on: November 12, 2021, 12:18:57 am »
+7

WDC #134: This is Worthless

Hello everybody! Here's this week's challenge:

Design a card or card shaped thing that costs $0.

Acceptable submissions include:
  • Non-Supply cards costing $0, such as Prizes, Madman, Mercenary, Spoils, Will-o-the-Wisps, or Wishes.
  • Basic and Special Basic Supply cards costing $0, such as Copper, Curse, and Ruins.
  • Starting cards costing $0, such as Heirlooms or Shelters.
  • A Kingdom pile costing $0, though tread lightly here, as there is no official Kingdom card costing $0 (perhaps for good reason).
  • An Event (or Project I suppose) costing $0, such as Advance, Alms, Borrow, Delay, Desperation, or Quest.

Other rules and suggestions:
  • Your entry must cost exactly $0.
  • Debt cost cards (or other alternative costs) do not cost $0 and will not be accepted.
  • Cards with variable costs (which sometimes cost $0) such as Peddler will not be accepted.
  • Overpay cards costing $0 are permitted.
  • Many official $0 cost cards are only gained only via other cards. You may include the card that gains or distributes your $0 cost card (and that one need not cost $0).
  • Your entry should have a compelling and non-arbitrary reason to cost $0 and not something else. Most official $0-costs exemplify this with one or more of the following: 1) being weak or undesirable, 2) meant to be played and not Remodeled, etc., 3) trying to dodge the common $3-$6 trashing attacks, or 4) designed to be always available, but with a drawback or restriction (especially in the case of Events).
  • Don't make me squint. Eliminate unnecessary words and complexity where possible. This is not the challenge for a Traveller line or an eight-card Castles-style mixed pile.

Judgement Details:
  • Entries and revisions must be submitted by 5:00 PM CST (11:00 PM UTC) on Friday, November 19. I'll have results posted on Sunday, November 21.
  • Entries will be judged on ingenuity, balance, simplicity, and creative/appropriate use of the $0 cost price point.

Have fun! This is a pretty open ended challenge with a variety of different directions people can go. I'm excited to see your designs!

Entries:

Parade by JW
Copper Rush by majiponi
Bequest by mandioca15
Fairy by Timinou
Reconfigure by AJL828
Waterwheel by spineflu
Snow by Erick648
Spinning Mule by Aquila
Disease by xyz123
Reposition by NoMoreFun
Rubble by LastFootnote
Bin by arowdok
Purifying Spirit by Xen3k
Census Office by Library Adventurer
Luck by emtzalex
Smog by The Alchemist
« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 02:06:00 pm by 4est »

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #134: This is Worthless
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2021, 02:39:05 am »

Parade
$0 - Event
Once per turn: When you buy this, you may overpay for it. Gain a Villager, plus an additional Villager for each $3 you overpaid (round down).

Updated to clarify wording.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 12:22:17 pm by JW »

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2021, 03:55:32 am »

Copper Rush
cost 0* - Event
When you buy this, you may overpay for it. For each $1 you overpaid, gain a Copper, setting aside. At the start of your next turn, put those into your hand.

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2021, 06:16:44 am »
+10

Bequest (Event, $0)

Once per game: +2 Buys.

A free additional Buy! You can use it to power up your deck early on, or gamble and save it for the end to grab Victory cards.

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2021, 10:28:12 am »
+2

There are 12 copies of Fairy in its pile.

I thought it would be interesting to explore a Way that lets you gain non-Supply cards.  I considered making it gain Will-o-Wisps or Horses, but I think a new non-Supply card will add a bit of variety.  Fairy is a cantrip that lets you dig for Actions, but if it finds one it gets returned to its pile.  Probably weaker than Horses in this respect, although they will stick around if you don't find an Action.  You could even play Fairies as Way of the Ladybird to stockpile Fairies if that floats your boat.

AJL828

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJL828
  • Respect: +394
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2021, 01:33:21 pm »
+3

Reconfigure
Event ($0)

Once per turn: +1 Buy. Trash an Action card from your hand. Draw 1 extra card for your next hand per $1 it costs.

Surprisingly my first time making an Event. I took a few different ideas from other cards/events (Advance, Expedition, and Apprentice) and this is what I came up with. It's limited to once per turn to prevent things from getting out of hand (I'm looking at you, Fortress). Since it is capped to once a turn I figured that refunding the Buy would be a nice bonus. It is still susceptible to the same handsize attack weakness as Expedition and Way of the Squirrel, so I don't think this makes it too strong.
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2021, 02:24:18 pm »
+2

Reconfigure
Event ($0)

Once per turn: +1 Buy. Trash an Action card from your hand. Draw 1 extra card for your next hand per $1 it costs.

Surprisingly my first time making an Event. I took a few different ideas from other cards/events (Advance, Expedition, and Apprentice) and this is what I came up with. It's limited to once per turn to prevent things from getting out of hand (I'm looking at you, Fortress). Since it is capped to once a turn I figured that refunding the Buy would be a nice bonus. It is still susceptible to the same handsize attack weakness as Expedition and Way of the Squirrel, so I don't think this makes it too strong.

This would make a rather nice combo with Rats
They/them

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2021, 03:37:16 pm »
+2

Starting cards costing $0, such as Heirlooms or Shelters.

Just a very minor nitpick, but Shelters cost , not .

(Also not all Heirlooms cost , but we get the diea :P .)
Bottom text

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2021, 05:34:00 pm »
+10

There are 12 copies of Fairy in its pile.

I thought it would be interesting to explore a Way that lets you gain non-Supply cards.  I considered making it gain Will-o-Wisps or Horses, but I think a new non-Supply card will add a bit of variety.  Fairy is a cantrip that lets you dig for Actions, but if it finds one it gets returned to its pile.  Probably weaker than Horses in this respect, although they will stick around if you don't find an Action.  You could even play Fairies as Way of the Ladybird to stockpile Fairies if that floats your boat.

Man, you don't know how hard I worked to have Pixie be called "Pixie" instead of "Fairy", so that the game wouldn't have both Ferry and Fairy. I had to fight tooth and nail for that.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2021, 05:55:56 pm »
+1

Waterwheel - $0 - Action
When you buy a card this turn, queue it.
-
When you buy this, +2 Buys.

queue mechanic

Erick648

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +628
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2021, 07:46:21 pm »
+1

Just in time for Winter (in the northern parts of the world, anyway):  Snow!

Like Ruins, the Snow cards are mixed together in a Supply pile (there are 4 Fine Powders for every 3 Ices and 3 Packed Snows) and included in the Supply whenever there's a Frost in the Kingdom.  As you can see, they're self-disposing with a minor inconvenience, almost an anti-Ruin.  They also don't stay trashed, so the quick distribution and disposal won't run down the pile.

Of course, a Ruins-variant needs cards to distribute it, so on to the Frost cards:

First, the card that started it all:  A junker that distributes Snow but likes it.  Despite the Sea Hag-type topdeck attack, Snow is weak enough junk that it shouldn't be too punishing.  In particular, the pin that necessitated Sea Hag's discard clause is likely impossible due to both the fact that all Snow cards draw (Fine Powder in particular is good at clearing out Snow cards in bulk) and the fact that Snow Queen's self-junking makes them hard to chain.  I went back and forth on whether to make Snow Queen's gain $2 or $3 per Snow, but $3 seemed to make it too easy to gain Provinces.  The gain is mandatory, but you can always discard nothing and gain another Snow.

Now, a non-attack card (very mild pseudo-attack aside) with an on-gain Snow ability.  It has to cost $4 to avoid too many being bought in the opening.  It provides some mild sifting with a bonus for discarding Snow cards (or Action cards that collide with it).  Do you gain a Snow to avoid having to discard a useful card, and potentially get the +1VP?

Finally, Winter is coming with the Northern Lake.  As soon as the first Province is bought, the lake effect brings the Snow on everyone.  Do you trigger the blizzard early, hoping you can weather it better than your opponents?

One theme with these cards is that the Snow falls on everyone:  The question is how well you can deal with it.
Duplicate duplicates Duplicates duplicate Duplicates duplicate.

Rene Descartes taught me to believe in myself.

How much Loot could a Looter loot if a Looter could loot Loot?

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2021, 03:55:58 am »

Components - Action, $5 cost.
+1 Buy
You may trash this and another Components from your hand. If you trash two Components, gain a Spinning Mule.
Spinning Mule - Action Duration, $0* cost.
For the rest of the game, your Coppers are also Actions with '+1 Card and +1 Action'.
(This stays in play. This is not in the Supply.)
There need only be 6 Spinning Mules, since players should only get one.
Tricky to know whether Components should be $4 or $5. I thought with +Buy it could go up to $5.
The more Coppers you keep early, usually the harder it is to connect two Components.

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2021, 04:13:29 am »

I am going for a new junk card with a new hex to distribute it.

Pestilence
Hex

Gain a disease

Disease
$0 Disease

When you gain this reveal your hand. If you reveal one or more diseases take your -1 card token.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2021, 08:18:15 am »
+2

Reposition
Action - $0
+1 Action
Return a card from your hand to the supply. Gain, to your hand, a differently named card with the same cost.

(Costs $0 so you can exchange a Copper for a Reposition)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 10:29:15 pm by NoMoreFun »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2021, 01:02:20 pm »
+7

Maybe as simple as it gets, Rubble is a Treasure that makes $0. There are 30 copies in the pile, and mostly it's meant as a penalty you take, rather than a card you give others with Attacks. Why a Treasure? Miner specifically interacts with Treasures, as do many published cards (Mine, Mint, etc.). I'd have posted some other cards that care more about Rubble in their effect, but they use mechanics that are outside the scope of this contest.

arowdok

• Spy
  • Respect: +129
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2021, 05:52:39 pm »
+2

Bin
Event $0
Once per turn: +1 Buy and if you have no Coffers discard any number of Coppers, revealing them. +1 Coffers per card discarded.

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2021, 09:57:33 pm »
+1

Ancient Altar $2
Action
+1 Action
Look at the top 3 cards of your deck. Put them back in any order. Then, +1 Card.
----
When you gain this, you may trash a card from your hand, If you do, gain a cheaper Spirit from one of the Spirit piles.
Purifying Spirit - $0*
Action - Spirit
+1 Action
+$1
Reveal the top card of your deck or a card in your hand. If it costs $0, you may trash it. If it is not trashed, you may discard it.
(This is not in the Supply.)

Another $0 cost Spirit to be obtained via Exorcist. It is a slow non-terminal trasher that can only take care of junk costing $0. Tried to keep with the theme of the cheap Spirits being Action cards. I don't have a new card to obtain one as of yet, but will try and work on one. Feedback is appreciated.

Edit: Added a cheap cantrip with an on-gain one-shot Exorcist.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 08:17:42 pm by Xen3k »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2021, 11:19:38 pm »
+2

Census Office
$0 - Project
At the start of your turn, if you have at least 5 cards in hand, +2 Cards, then discard four cards from your hand, revealing them.
If at least 3 of the cards you discarded were either Actions or Gold, +1 VP.

I took this as a challenge to make a $0 cost Project.
A self-Margraver could be useful sometimes. Added the VP for a little incentive (or temptation) if you aren't sure.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 09:57:36 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2021, 02:03:34 am »

My Submission:

Quote from: Luck
LUCK
ACTION
Cost: $0*
+1 Action
Return this to its pile. If you did, look at the top 4 cards of your deck. Discard any number of them. Put one into your hand, and the rest back on top in any order.
(This is not in the Supply.)

My submission is Luck. A riff on Wish, it is a one-shot virtual cantrip* that lets you pick the best of the top 4 cards on your deck (simulating a "lucky" draw), discarding the cards you don't want and putting the ones you do back in any order. That ordering can also set up other "lucky" draws (with the likes of Wishing Well, Mystic, Magpie, etc.), while the discarding can be used to either get rid of unwanted cards or to trigger other effects (such as the Reaction of Tunnel/Village Green, or cards that care about the content of your discard pile like Swashbuckler). You can also use it to reduce your handsize by discarding all 4 cards.

Like Wish, Luck is not in the Supply, so I designed a split pile of two cards that gain it (UPDATED).

Quote from: Pilgrim
PILGRIM
ACTION
Cost: $3
+1 Card
+1 Action

Reveal the top card of your deck. If it's a non-Treasure card, you may trash it. If it costs $6 or more, gain a Luck.

Quote from: Golden Shrine
GOLDEN SHRINE
TREASURE
Cost: $7
$3
If you have an odd number of Golden Shrines in play, gain a Luck; if an even number, +1VP.

Old versions:

« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 03:06:38 pm by emtzalex »
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2021, 11:23:49 am »
+1

Census Office
$0 - Project
At the start of your turn, if you have at least 5 cards in hand, +2 Cards then discard four cards.

A self-Margraver could be useful sometimes. Added the VP for a little incentive (or temptation) if you aren't sure.

Only the topmost discarded card is visible to your opponents, so this needs to say "discard four cards, revealed." See Silos and Shepherd.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2021, 09:56:44 pm »
+3

Census Office
$0 - Project
At the start of your turn, if you have at least 5 cards in hand, +2 Cards then discard four cards.

Only the topmost discarded card is visible to your opponents, so this needs to say "discard four cards, revealed." See Silos and Shepherd.
Right. Fixed in my OP. (I always hated the wording of Silos. It's grammatically wrong.)

<Luck/Pilgrim/Golden Shrine>
I like Luck as a non-supply one-shot. But Pilgrim is just a Will-o'-Wisp that sometimes gains Luck. You might want to make it more different from Will-o'-Wisp. As it is, Will-o'-Wisp would be a strong $2, so with the Luck gaining, Pilgrim should probably cost $3 (and maybe lower the cost threshold to $5 instead of $6). Also you don't need the "then" in Golden Shrine.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 10:00:26 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

The Alchemist

• Golem
  • Respect: +214
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2021, 05:51:01 am »
+1

Smog: Smog is a junk card I created for my Industrialization fan expansion, a Curse for the new era! It requires another smog in play to remove, meaning once you have them, you're always gonna be stuck with at least one unless you trash them with something else. There are 30 cards to the pile, similar to Horses. Here are some of the cards that produce Smog:

« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 04:08:52 am by The Alchemist »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2021, 12:13:43 am »

One of your images (the middle one that isn't visible) is just
Code: [Select]
http:// Rather than the full URL.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2021, 02:04:56 pm »
+1

It appears I'm a day late announcing this but:

24 hours

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2021, 03:04:06 pm »

<Luck/Pilgrim/Golden Shrine>
I like Luck as a non-supply one-shot. But Pilgrim is just a Will-o'-Wisp that sometimes gains Luck. You might want to make it more different from Will-o'-Wisp. As it is, Will-o'-Wisp would be a strong $2, so with the Luck gaining, Pilgrim should probably cost $3 (and maybe lower the cost threshold to $5 instead of $6). Also you don't need the "then" in Golden Shrine.

Thanks for the feedback! When I was pricing Pilgrim I was thinking of Will-o'-Wisp as a $0 card, which of course is not what it would cost if it were actually in the Supply (as you pointed out). I never loved it to start with but wanted something fairly cheap, spammable, and that would benefit from Luck's deck-arranging. Having thought about it more, I want to keep it as a cantrip, but instead of being a potential lab, I made it a potential trasher (excluding Treasures, which would be too easy to match). I bumped the price up to $3, which I think is still okay over the $7 Golden Shrine). 

I also fixed Golden Shrine. As you may have guessed I borrowed the language from Idol, but while I remembered to take out "When you play this..." I forget to clean up the rest of it. Fixed cards are below and updated in the initial post.

Quote from: Pilgrim
PILGRIM
ACTION
Cost: $3
+1 Card
+1 Action

Reveal the top card of your deck. If it's a non-Treasure card, you may trash it. If it costs $6 or more, gain a Luck.

Quote from: Golden Shrine
GOLDEN SHRINE
TREASURE
Cost: $7
$3
If you have an odd number of Golden Shrines in play, gain a Luck; if an even number, +1VP.

he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 1.401 seconds with 21 queries.