Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #133: A Time to Feast  (Read 10006 times)

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
Weekly Design Contest #133: A Time to Feast
« on: October 31, 2021, 10:47:27 am »
+4

WDC #133: A Time to Feast

As we're heading into the festive season with a number of celebrations just around the corner, let's take a moment to remember Feast from the first edition of Dominion.

Rules:
  • Design a card-shaped thing that allows you to gain cards costing up to $5 (or more)
  • It should not be restricted to gaining specific $5-cost cards (so a card that can only gain Duchies for example would not qualify)
  • There should not be a restriction on the type of card gained (so for example, Advance, University, Haggler, and Jester would not qualify.  Likewise, Pilgrimage and Changeling would not qualify since you are limited to gaining playable cards)
  • It should be able to gain a $5-cost card without any cost reduction (the exception would be if the cost reduction is already provided by your submission)
  • It should not be a pure Remodeler (although self-trash like with Feast would be allowed). So Remodel, Transmogrify, Expand, and even Altar, would not qualify.
  • You can incorporate any fan mechanics (please just provide an explanation of how it works)
  • Official cards other than Feast that would qualify include Artisan, Smugglers, Border Village, Artificer, Duplicate, Vampire, Horn of Plenty, Charm, Banquet, Bargain, Way of the Butterfly
  • Stonemason would qualify due to its on-play ability rather than on-buy ability
  • I'll try to be flexible with the rules.
The deadline will be Sunday, November 7th at 11:59PM ET or 24 hours after I post the 24-hour notice (whichever comes later).
« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 10:14:57 am by Timinou »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #133: A Time to Feast
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2021, 12:45:46 pm »
+3

Stonemason should be considered a Remodeler if Altar is imo.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 12:57:59 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2021, 12:55:09 pm »
+1

Stonemason is borderline for me.  I figured I would allow it since it can increase your deck size unlike Altar (barring games with Fortress).

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2021, 12:58:10 pm »

Hollow - Action Duration, $3 cost.
Either now or at the start of your next turn, choose one: draw until you have 6 cards in hand; or discard any number of cards to gain a card costing up to $1 per card discarded.
If you do the discard function next turn, typically it can be Feast. If you played another Hollow for next turn with it, you can then draw 6 cards. Big investment for big payoff, and hopefully Throning it will most of the time reduce hand size sufficiently to balance it out.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2021, 12:58:38 pm »

Stonemason is borderline for me.  I figured I would allow it since it can increase your deck size unlike Altar (barring games with Fortress).

Would Develop qualify for the same reason, then?
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2021, 01:00:05 pm »

Would Develop qualify for the same reason, then?

Yes, its borderline as well but would qualify.

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2021, 03:37:30 pm »
+1

• It should be able to gain a $5-cost card without any cost reduction (the exception would be if the cost reduction is already provided by your submission)

Would Inventor count?
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Freddy10

• Thief
  • Respect: +151
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2021, 03:45:41 pm »
+4

If you play altar and your hand is empty you still gain a $5-cost card, and you increase your deck size
Who trashes the trashers?

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2021, 04:47:03 pm »

Clairvoyant (Action-Doom, $4)

Gain a card costing up to $5.

You may discard a Treasure from your hand. If you didn't, receive the next Hex.

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2021, 07:11:25 pm »

Gala
$4 - Action
Gain a card costing up to $4 (up to $5 if this is the first time you played a Gala this turn). If the gained card costs $5, each other player gains a Horse.

Inspired by Bargain. Edit: updated wording. Thanks, Faust!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 10:07:16 am by JW »

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2021, 08:17:37 pm »
+4

The original Feast doesn't net increase your deck size.

A more clear rule would be that being able to gain a $5 shouldn't depend on the cost of the trashed card (so Altar counts but Develop and Stonemason don't)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 08:20:36 pm by NoMoreFun »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2021, 08:32:08 pm »
+4

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2021, 10:34:51 pm »
+1

Royal Foundries - $7
Action
+1 Action
Discard a card. Gain a card to your hand costing less than it. If you would gain a card costing more than this, instead trash this to gain that card to your hand.

Non-terminal gainer limited only by the price of the card you discard. The self trashing is only relevant in Colony/Platinum games or with similar cards.

Edit: Removed the self-trashing clause. Only really relevant in games using cards that cost more than $8

Old Version
« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 07:26:49 pm by Xen3k »

AJL828

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJL828
  • Respect: +394
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2021, 11:01:54 pm »
+3

Furnace
Action ($3)

+1 Card
+1 Action
Reveal and discard any number of differently named cards. You may gain a card costing up to $1 per card discarded.

It's kinda like Artificer's little brother, it can gain you some expensive cards, but asks for something fairly substantial in return. I think this is fine at $3 because it requires quite a bit in your deck already and double opening these doesn't seem very good to me.
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2021, 11:03:56 pm »

If you play altar and your hand is empty you still gain a $5-cost card, and you increase your deck size

That's a fair point and I forgot about that detail.

How can Remodel be not OK and Remodelers like Stonemason and Develop be OK? That is totally inconsistent.
You can either restrict this to pure gainers or be fine with all Remodelers. The criterium of handsize increase is pretty weird and arbitrary as Freddy has pointed out.

Well, I did say they were borderline for a reason.  To me what differentiated Stonemason and Develop from pure Remodelers (when Fortress isn't around) is that you have a net gain.  I don't want to be fine with all Remodelers because that's not what I wanted the contest to be about. 

The original Feast doesn't net increase your deck size.
A more clear rule would be that being able to gain a $5 shouldn't depend on the cost of the trashed card (so Altar counts but Develop and Stonemason don't)

Normally no, but the exception would be with throne room variants, Command cards, or Necromancer. 

I think rather than overengineering the rules, I'm just going to treat them like guidelines rather than rules.  Basically, give me a cool $5-cost gainer that isn't purely a Remodel variant.  I will be flexible, and won't be disqualifying entries unless they completely stray from the rules guidelines.

Would Inventor count?

Uhh...not quite what I had in mind (I was thinking of something like Inventor where the cost reduction came before the gaining).

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2021, 01:23:47 am »

Would Inventor count?

Uhh...not quite what I had in mind (I was thinking of something like Inventor where the cost reduction came before the gaining).

So, for example, a hypothetical Inventor that had the cost-reduction first ("Cards cost $1 less this turn. Gain a card costing up to $4") would qualify, but Inventor as stands would not?
They/them

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2021, 03:26:11 am »

So, for example, a hypothetical Inventor that had the cost-reduction first ("Cards cost $1 less this turn. Gain a card costing up to $4") would qualify, but Inventor as stands would not?

Yeah...a single Inventor on its own won't be able to gain a $5-cost card.  You would need to throne it or play a second one in order to do so, which is why Inventor wasn't listed as an example of an official card that would qualify.

Now if someone decided to submit Inventor and argued that it should qualify, I'm not going to make a big fuss about it (other than for the blatant plagiarism).

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2021, 04:06:10 am »

Kitchen
Action
$4

+2 Coffers

Remove any number of tokens from your Coffers and gain a card costing up to $2 for each token removed.

- A card that is to gainers what Butcher is to remodelers.
- The wording is based on Butcher although I am personally not that keen on it.
- Obviously it cannot gain $5 cards immediately, but it can if you also have coffers from other cards or have saved some from an earlier play of Kitchen.
- If you don't remove any coffers you have to gain a card costing $0. This will normally be self junking as a penalty.

***Update Notes****
- Following feedback that the coffer gaining was overpowered I have reduced it to gaining 2 coffers and allowing the player to gain a card costing up to 2 for each coffer they use. I think this should prevent the rate at which it can gain coffers, which is the issue.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 07:53:02 am by xyz123 »

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2021, 04:42:33 am »

Kitchen
Action
$4

+4 Coffers

Remove any number of tokens from your Coffers and gain a card costing up to the number of tokens removed.

- A card that is to gainers what Butcher is to remodelers.
- The wording is based on Butcher although I am personally not that keen on it.
- Obviously it cannot gain $5 cards immediately, but it can if you also have coffers from other cards or have saved some from an earlier play of Kitchen.
- If you decide to keep all 4 coffers you have to gain a card costing $0, which will be self junking in most cases.
This is overpowered even with the self-junking. You can easily have 12 Coffers by turn 7, and just start buying Provinces from there.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2021, 04:47:47 am »
+1

Gala
$4
If this is the first time you played a Gala this turn, gain a card costing up to $5 and, if it cost $5, each other player gains a Horse. Otherwise, gain a card costing up to $4.

Inspired by Bargain.
This has two "if" clauses, and it's not clear what the "otherwise" refers to - though I assume to the first "if". I think it's a bit too convoluted.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2021, 10:25:04 am »

This has two "if" clauses, and it's not clear what the "otherwise" refers to - though I assume to the first "if". I think it's a bit too convoluted.

Thanks! I updated to the following (edit: updated further).

Gala
$4 - Action
Gain a card costing up to $4 (up to $5 if this is the first time you played a Gala this turn). If it cost $5, each other player gains a Horse.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 01:54:47 pm by JW »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2021, 10:44:56 am »
+5

Mill Town: Action, $5
+1 Card
+2 Actions
You may play one or more Treasures from your hand to gain a card, costing up to $1 per Treasure played.

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2021, 03:17:08 pm »
+10

Here's my entry this week. Prized Hog is a cheap cantrip that can trash itself like Pixie to gain a copy of what's on top of your deck. They are of course not that helpful early game, but if you let them mature, you can potentially cash them in for some nice things in the mid to late game. Like Wishing Well, it's intentionally tricky to set up what it reveals. Initially, there was no restriction on what it can gain which is fun for cards with weird costs (Debt, Potion), but too swingy for Provinces/Colonies, so now it caps gains at $6 costs like Smugglers.

Thematically, it's a pig so of course it's a cantrip, the card reveal is sort of like digging for truffles, and when you find a good one, well... then you have a Feast.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 05:52:34 pm by 4est »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2021, 03:58:54 pm »
+5

I like the idea a lot, but I do agree it's probably swingy. If you happen to flip a Province or Colony with this, that's a huge windfall. Smugglers and Jester have clauses specifically to keep this from happening.

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2021, 05:55:30 pm »

I like the idea a lot, but I do agree it's probably swingy. If you happen to flip a Province or Colony with this, that's a huge windfall. Smugglers and Jester have clauses specifically to keep this from happening.

Yep, good word, LFN. I've updated the OP so to cap it at gaining $6 costs like Smugglers.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.25 seconds with 21 queries.