Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Black Market variants  (Read 1121 times)

RobinHoodjr

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
Black Market variants
« on: October 28, 2021, 01:36:54 am »
+1

Years ago I meddled with the idea of a Black Market (hereafter BM, I apologize for the resemblance to another acronym) variant.  I had cool artwork and a bunch of other stuff. Basically I never got around to sharing the idea. I must be getting old now because I am losing patience.

Here were some of the concepts I designed, take them and run with it if you so desire:
- Wizard: an Action card and BM variant that allows one to purchase cards from a side deck of Alchemy expansion which are unused in kingdom, but gives plus potion and plus coin, possibly reducing the need for potion purchases
- Pirate: an Action card allowing purchase of unused Seaside expansion cards in a side deck
- Spy: Bm variant for unused Intrigue cards
- etc

Then the next thing would be including this concept in larger expansions going forward,  as a way to introduce new cards into play or add more variety for that Fairgrounds strategy.

Yep you guessed it, then I would want an epic Dominion game with 10 bm variants representing 10 different expansions.

Wrap your head around that one...

Nate

RobinHoodjr

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
Re: Black Market variants
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2021, 01:58:39 am »

A couple more:

- Town Crier:  Return any previous active events to the bottom of the events deck. Reveal top 3 from Events deck.  Select one. Put other two on bottom of events deck.

- Architect: Return any unpurchased projects to the bottom of the projects deck. Reveal top 3 from Projects deck. Select one.  Return other two to bottom of projects deck

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1685
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2021, 07:36:24 pm »
+1

Yep you guessed it, then I would want an epic Dominion game with 10 bm variants representing 10 different expansions.

Wrap your head around that one...
hahaha that sounds crazy.

What might make a little more sense, is have a BM for villages, a BM for attacks, a BM for trashers, a BM for draw cards, a BM for +buy cards, etc.

RobinHoodjr

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2021, 01:07:34 am »

No idea about where you want to stick those effects on. Given that they are neutral and that everybody profits to the same degree from them, they are tricky to implement.

The main issue though is that they are broken with expensive Events and Projects. You don’t have an incentive to build up an economy for Pathfinding because the other dudes could just snatch it away and exchange it for another Event. Such minigames that lead to degenerate play are usually no fun.

Yeah I'm afraid you lost me. Maybe it would help if I upload the image of the exact card verbiage. It only cycles unpurchased projects so it isn't an attack.  Likewise if someone purchased inheritance (which is more like a project than an event) it has no bearing on the set aside card and inheritance token marker.

Similarly if someone purchased Pathfinding, their marker is already in place. Town Crier announcing a Wedding event doesn't remove anyone's +1 card token.

Town Crier is telling people the news, not rewriting history
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 20 queries.