Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Mustard's Bracket Week Two  (Read 16007 times)

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
  • First to 5000 Isotropic wins
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
Mustard's Bracket Week Two
« on: March 29, 2012, 11:50:19 pm »
+1

<b>The King's Court</b>

This week we will all play matches dominated by Intrigue.  Each match is seven total games.  Make sure that you set Isotropic's filter system to include exactly six cards chosen at random from Intrigue!

Please report your results in this thread, and have your match completed by 18:00 GMT Thursday 05 April.  Good luck and have fun!

If you wish to play future matches, feel free to do so... but wait to post the results in that week's thread.

<b>Week 2 Match-ups

Eurasia Group:</b>

Geronimoo (12)
vs
Rabid ( 16 )

lespeutere ( 18 )
vs
Nucleus ( 12 )

MrEevee (16)
vs
Mangsky (10)

Dubdubdubdub ( 8 )
vs
luliin (6)

<b>Central Europe Group:</b>

Fabian ( 20 )
vs
ArjanB (7)

JanErik (14)
vs
ugasoft (13)

angboy (11)
vs
StickaRicka (16)

Lekkit (18)
vs
Tonks77 (13)

<b>Eastern America Group</b>

Wandering Winder (10)
vs
angrybirds (11)

Voltaire (2)
vs
Mic Qsenoch ( 20 )

zxcvbn2 (9)
vs
Masticore (16)

Robz888 ( 16 )
vs
blueblimp (12)

<b>Atlantic Group:</b>

Young Nick ( 16 )
vs
Kirian ( 14 )

Greystripe77 (6)
vs
DG ( 8 )

elahrairah13 (10)
vs
Jonts26 (22)

fit1one (10)
vs
andwilk (12)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 09:41:53 am by Mean Mr Mustard »
Jake <a href=http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/17/game-20120317-030206-6456f97c.html>opening: opening: Silver / Jack of All Trades</a>
<b>IsoDom1 Winner:  shark_bait
IsoDom2 Winner: Rabid
Isodom3 Winner: Fabian</b>
Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatári, Utúlie'n auré!

JanErik

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
Re: Mustard's Bracket Week Two
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 06:26:57 am »

Ahh, finally! ;)

I wanted to point out that the total points do not add up, i think StickaRicka should have 4 Points instead of 2.

I wish everybody good games!

angrybirds

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 08:38:18 am »

(moved from accidental posting in week one)

WanderingWinder and I were able to play our matches spontaneously today when we were both online at the same time, thanks to him for being willing to play on short notice. WW 5 (10pts) angrybirds 2 (4pts), here are the logs and brief summary:

WW 50; angrybirds 31
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/29/game-20120329-113453-e92e6791.html
Duke game, WW plays near perfect; I buy dumb bishop and lose

angrybirds 36; WW 21
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/29/game-20120329-111044-ac044c95.html
Salvager works perfect for me in a mostly Big Money Game.

WW 39; angrybirds 28
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/29/game-20120329-111402-de315584.html
WW 1 Tribute works much better than my 3 labs in another Big Money game with Masquerade

WW 54; angrybirds 36
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/29/game-20120329-111944-099b0ff1.html
Minion with King's Court and Colonies. I win Minions 6-4, but he gets 3 King's Court to my 1 and much earlier. Never really stood a chance.

angrybirds 47; WW 23
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/29/game-20120329-112426-809e13c7.html
I use Ironworks with Great Halls to power through his Noble Brigands to get a head on Dukes.

WW 87; angrybirds 74
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/29/game-20120329-113059-3241ef90.html
Colony game with WW using Big Money much more effectively than me. Lots of green cards, too bad there was no Silk Road around.

WW 58; angrybirds 45
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/29/game-20120329-113453-e92e6791.html
Another Duke game for me, this time badly played as I buy too early. WW uses Masquerade and Bridge to get to Provinces faster.

Final thoughts: pretty good games overall but not a lot of engine potential and Duke was important in a majority of games.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 10:08:25 am »

My thoughts on the match with angrybirds (with CR logs, in case anyone wants them, and links to my videos on each game, in case anybody wants those, too):
Game 1: http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120329-110720-6d5975c3.html

Bureaucrat for Dukes. My opponent goes with bishop, which actually scares me a bit, but then follows me into duchies and dukes, which makes me really confident. Bishop then bureaucrat, as he did, must also be worse than bureaucrat into bishop.

Game 2: http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120329-111044-ac044c95.html

This game can't be as lop-sided, strategy-wise, as it looks. I hit $5 a TON, which is very bad for my BM deck. It's very late before I'm able to get gold. My plan was BM/Smithy, eventually grabbing a torturer instead of the second smithy, in all likelihood. Well, I probably get the torturer too quick, and I can't hit $6. Meanwhile his less draw-centered BM strategy works out pretty well. Overall, I wasn't sure which was better to start, with the salvager plan having some support, and he drew at least reasonably and crushingly won. But pretty well played too (by him), for sure.

Game 3: http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120329-111402-de315584.html

Masq/BM. Harems are available, but I'm a bit leery of them due to tribute's presence. He goes lab over tribute, which I think is a decent-sized mistake in what's basically a BM game (tribute really good in BM, lab is ok but not great). Then he goes lab over gold, which I think is a big mistake.

Game 4: http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120329-111944-099b0ff1.html

Conspirator/Minion/KC (menagerie), no +buy. I guess I like my early steward a little better than his early great hall. He gets a 6-4 minion lead, but I have a 3-0 KC lead at that point, so it seems fairly over. I don't think there's a whole ton going on here, probably I mostly just drew better. And then a little badly at the end to make it closer, but by that point it didn't really matter. Early luck>>late luck

Game 5: http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120329-112426-809e13c7.html

Another duke game. I keep expecting him to get a lot of silver density at some point, but he doesn't, and loads up on ironworks/great hall. And I don't react well, way over-committing to Noble Brigand (which I think would normally be pretty good in a duke mirror). Well, anyway, too many of these, not enough silver, and he is even able to split duchies with me, and that kills me. I squirm for a while to try to backdoor into provinces (only way to get enough points), but it ain't happening. I suspect a more silver-based Duke approach would be really good here, and should probably beat his strategy, but then I didn't do that. And you probably want ironworks for that deck too.

Game 6: http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120329-113059-3241ef90.html

Eh, not a ton going on here. Again, I think I mostly get a little lucky, though his extra nobles don't provide so much extra value here. Gold>>nobles here, I think. And he blocks platinum once for my contraband where I mis-played my treasures and clearly only had 8. But anyway, I mostly hit the bigger money faster, have a little finesse with the masquerade maybe... not so much.

Game 7: http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120329-113453-e92e6791.html

Masquerade is the best card on the board, and I figure it helps province a good bit more than duke, so I head that way. That assumption gets tested, as he goes masq/duke. Well, he also maybe builds his deck a little tiny too much? Hard to say. Probably bridge/duke is a better duke strategy. I get a bridge eventually, and it lets me province/silver once, but not so much different from a silver overall I think - I do think the big difference here is that masq lets the province player power through much more than it gives the duke player longevity.

Overall... well, I do say I like intrigue, but these were pretty boring sets. No engines except game 4, and that was such a cookie-cutter... Lots of masquerade, lots of duke, not lots of interesting decisions.

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 05:32:20 pm »

:( :( :( Masquerade  :( :( :(

Rabid wins 4-3 vs Geronimoo

Despite Masquerade dominance some pretty good games between Rabid and me.

Rabid 28 - Geronimoo 24
Rabid opens Minion/Cellar
Geronimoo opens Masquerade/Silver
I have first player and Masquerade advantage, while Rabid has Minion advantage opening $5. It feels like my opponent is the luckier player, but it's probably very close. Rabid gets the 6 Minions, but my deck is a little smoother. It's a very close game, but in the end I make a pretty big mistake by breaking PPR because he has Expand for an easy Province trashing a Minion.

Rabid 30- Geronimoo 28
Rabid opens Trading Post/Courtyard
Geronimoo opens Mining Village/Silver
Rabid apologizes because he opens $5 again on a Mountebank board and then opens Trading Post  ??? I certainly don't mind that he wants to play a friendly game, but I won't return the favor and aim to get the Curser ASAP. I think you should open Silver/Silver most of the time instead of Mining Village/Silver, but this board also has Minions and some big draw, so the MV is going to be very good. A while into the game he admits his mistake and gets a Mountebank as well. He looks to be building some kind of engine which seems terrible with my constant Mountebanking, but I guess his Trading Post makes it all a little less awful and instead of a game that goes to the 23 turns as expected when Mountebank is on the board, it's all over by turn 18. Not sure if I want to congratulate my opponent or call him a censored censored of a censored here.

Rabid 34- Geronimoo 39
Rabid opens Remodel/Silver
Geronimoo opens Masquerade/Smugglers
This was an excellent game. Both of us are going for the same deck pretty much: Nobles/Mining Villages/Throne Room/Conspirator and yet our openings are completely different. I get a very nice turn 11 where I Throne Room my Smugglers to get 2 Nobles and then it gets a little weird as we're Masquerading each other good cards instead of Coppers. I probably make some mistakes mid game, but my Nobles advantage is a little too much to overcome.

Rabid 25- Geronimoo 24
Rabid opens Masquerade/Silver
Geronimoo opens Wishing Well/Baron
This game is lightning fast, finishing in 12 turns! The dreaded Masquerade is on the board again and we both know what's going to happen (I'd actually suggest you ban the card when you're playing Intrigue-only). I could follow Rabid's lead, but then the game is pretty predictable: he's going to win about 65% of the time. I decided to try something different and went Baron + Wishing Well intending not to pass him my Estates and hoping he'd pass his. This way I'd always have an active Baron AND if he passes me all his Estates I'm actually a Province ahead in points from the Estates alone! Unfortunately I get an unlucky turn 3 where I wish for a Copper but find Estate so my hand is Baron, 3 Estate and a Copper and have to settle for another Baron instead of Gold. The following turns go quite nicely as I Wish well and Baron plenty Estates for a few Golds and very quickly Provinces. Too bad Masquerade is so broken and it's all over turn 12.

Rabid 30- Geronimoo 33
Rabid and Geronimoo open Conspirator/Wishing Well
Wishing Well is an excellent Conspirator enabler. Also, if you get a LOT of Wishing Wells, you'll never need to think what to wish for (more Wishing Wells for the more mentally challenged readers...). I like not having to think so I get a bunch of WW's (thanks to Upgrade) while Rabid is more into Conspirators and gets lots of those. He picked up a Hamlet somewhere in the early game and this means he can actually use all that money while I'm stuck with just 1 buy and went for the more consistent engine with just 2 Conspirators (his deck could get the all-Conspirator hand). I think his approach might have been slightly better as he's able to double Province turn 13!! I have to perform some shenanigans with Upgrade to overcome the VP deficit but pull it out in the end. Phew! Tense little game!

Rabid 36- Geronimoo 32
Rabid opens Sea Hag/Silver
Geronimoo opens Upgrade/Moat
Again I feel my opponent gets the luckier open, but I guess Soft Counter/Hard Counter isn't so bad either (probably still worse than the Kill your deck/Money open though). This is the first game where I really misplayed: I got too many Upgrades (6!) and on top of that didn't trash them fast enough for Golds/Harems but kept on Upgrading. This is a rookie mistake, but I got sucked into the "draw a card, trash a bad card, gain a good card" cycle that just feels sooooo good and makes you lose sooooo bad.

Rabid 22- Geronimoo 36
Rabid opens Conspirator/Scheme
The final game is a little anti-climactic as the board dictates we both go Masquerade/money, but Rabid refuses that dreaded scenario (can't blame him as he's going second) and goes for Conspirator aided by Scheme. I guess it's not a bad strat, but unfortunately it's not a broken strat and I win easily.

All in all pretty interesting games and I wish Rabid good luck in the next rounds!

PS: note to theory: "please correct your "best $3" article and put Masquerade at n°1"
PSS: note to Donald X: "please remove Masquerade from future Intrigue printings and from the official iphone app while you're at it"
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 05:35:52 pm by Geronimoo »

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 05:35:44 pm »

PS: note to theory: "please correct your "best $3" article and put Masquerade at n°1"
PSS: note to Donald X: "please remove Masquerade from future Intrigue printings and from the official iphone app while you're at it"

LOL
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Rabid

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Rabid
  • Respect: +643
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 06:12:11 pm »

Excellent report, thanks for the match Geronimoo

:( :( :( Masquerade  :( :( :(

Rabid wins 4-3 vs Geronimoo

Despite Masquerade dominance some pretty good games between Rabid and me.

Rabid 28 - Geronimoo 24
Rabid opens Minion/Cellar
I have first player and Masquerade advantage, while Rabid has Minion advantage opening $5. It feels like my opponent is the luckier player, but it's probably very close. Rabid gets the 6 Minions, but my deck is a little smoother. It's a very close game, but in the end I make a pretty big mistake by breaking PPR because he has Expand for an easy Province trashing a Minion.
I agree that 5/2 seemed better than 4/3 on this board.

Rabid 30- Geronimoo 28
Rabid opens Trading Post/Courtyard
Geronimoo opens Mining Village/Silver
Rabid apologizes because he opens $5 again on a Mountebank board and then opens Trading Post  ??? I certainly don't mind that he wants to play a friendly game, but I won't return the favor and aim to get the Curser ASAP. I think you should open Silver/Silver most of the time instead of Mining Village/Silver, but this board also has Minions and some big draw, so the MV is going to be very good. A while into the game he admits his mistake and gets a Mountebank as well. He looks to be building some kind of engine which seems terrible with my constant Mountebanking, but I guess his Trading Post makes it all a little less awful and instead of a game that goes to the 23 turns as expected when Mountebank is on the board, it's all over by turn 18. Not sure if I want to congratulate my opponent or call him a censored censored of a censored here.
My plan was trading post / courtyard + mountback on turn 3 /4, in hind sight this was bad and I got lucky to win.

Rabid 34- Geronimoo 39
Rabid opens Remodel/Silver
Geronimoo opens Masquerade/Smugglers
This was an excellent game. Both of us are going for the same deck pretty much: Nobles/Mining Villages/Throne Room/Conspirator and yet our openings are completely different. I get a very nice turn 11 where I Throne Room my Smugglers to get 2 Nobles and then it gets a little weird as we're Masquerading each other good cards instead of Coppers. I probably make some mistakes mid game, but my Nobles advantage is a little too much to overcome.
I incorrectly thought you were going Masq BM, so took remodel planing to turn the extra estates into 4$'s. then turn 3 I drew the remodel + 4 copper. :(
Your double smuggled nobels was really good, with no + buy and my have remodel I still had a chance near the end if I could draw very lucky, but it wasn't to be in this game.
The opening double guessing in the game was cool.

Rabid 25- Geronimoo 24
Rabid opens Masquerade/Silver
Geronimoo opens Wishing Well/Baron
This game is lightning fast, finishing in 12 turns! The dreaded Masquerade is on the board again and we both know what's going to happen (I'd actually suggest you ban the card when you're playing Intrigue-only). I could follow Rabid's lead, but then the game is pretty predictable: he's going to win about 65% of the time. I decided to try something different and went Baron + Wishing Well intending not to pass him my Estates and hoping he'd pass his. This way I'd always have an active Baron AND if he passes me all his Estates I'm actually a Province ahead in points from the Estates alone! Unfortunately I get an unlucky turn 3 where I wish for a Copper but find Estate so my hand is Baron, 3 Estate and a Copper and have to settle for another Baron instead of Gold. The following turns go quite nicely as I Wish well and Baron plenty Estates for a few Golds and very quickly Provinces. Too bad Masquerade is so broken and it's all over turn 12.
Again I got lucky to win this, needing to draw the +buy from salvager on my "extra" turn for the win. Your strategy was really interesting. I think I would have done better if I passed copper and trashed my estates instead?

Rabid 30- Geronimoo 33
Rabid and Geronimoo open Conspirator/Wishing Well
Wishing Well is an excellent Conspirator enabler. Also, if you get a LOT of Wishing Wells, you'll never need to think what to wish for (more Wishing Wells for the more mentally challenged readers...). I like not having to think so I get a bunch of WW's (thanks to Upgrade) while Rabid is more into Conspirators and gets lots of those. He picked up a Hamlet somewhere in the early game and this means he can actually use all that money while I'm stuck with just 1 buy and went for the more consistent engine with just 2 Conspirators (his deck could get the all-Conspirator hand). I think his approach might have been slightly better as he's able to double Province turn 13!! I have to perform some shenanigans with Upgrade to overcome the VP deficit but pull it out in the end. Phew! Tense little game!
Yes the +buy from hamlet can be really good if we get into late game VP races.
I thought I had it with the double Prov T13. But geronimoo played very well, upgrading $4 to duchy to win.

Rabid 36- Geronimoo 32
Rabid opens Sea Hag/Silver
Geronimoo opens Upgrade/Moat
Again I feel my opponent gets the luckier open, but I guess Soft Counter/Hard Counter isn't so bad either (probably still worse than the Kill your deck/Money open though). This is the first game where I really misplayed: I got too many Upgrades (6!) and on top of that didn't trash them fast enough for Golds/Harems but kept on Upgrading. This is a rookie mistake, but I got sucked into the "draw a card, trash a bad card, gain a good card" cycle that just feels sooooo good and makes you lose sooooo bad.
Strange game, we both took sea hags (I opened with it), but only 4 were given out in the 20 turn game. Mid game I think you were ahead. Possibly you might have been better with Gold over harem?

Rabid 22- Geronimoo 36
Rabid opens Conspirator/Scheme
The final game is a little anti-climactic as the board dictates we both go Masquerade/money, but Rabid refuses that dreaded scenario (can't blame him as he's going second) and goes for Conspirator aided by Scheme. I guess it's not a bad strat, but unfortunately it's not a broken strat and I win easily.

All in all pretty interesting games and I wish Rabid good luck in the next rounds!

This plan was just terrible, not helped at all when I miss click pass a conspirator to masq on turn 9.

Thanks again for the match, and good luck for the rest of the event.
Twitch
1 Day Cup #1:Ednever

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 07:24:52 pm »

nevermind, all good now.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 11:50:27 am by Eevee »

angrybirds

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 10:26:25 pm »

My thoughts on the match with angrybirds (with CR logs, in case anyone wants them, and links to my videos on each game, in case anybody wants those, too):

If anyone gets the chance to be the opponent of WW during one of his videos take the chance. Watching these was a great learning opportunity for me--having someone dissect my play, point out mistakes and a few times compliment good moves--was great.  One thing I would suggest though is letting people know when you play them that their play is being videoed. Not that you need their permission, but an alert would be nice. I personally didn't mind and I don't think my play would have been affected--well maybe it would have...

Either way thanks for the videos. Keep them up.

luliin

• 2013 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +41
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 11:10:00 am »

I'm having trouble setting up a match with Dubdubdubdub.
If we're unable to play before Thursday, what happens then?

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 11:19:03 am »

I presume you'll just try to make it up when possible, before the end of prelims. I still haven't heard a peep from my first round opponent, so... I guess it'll work out, eventually.

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012, 03:55:07 pm »

Fabian beats ArjanB 6-1

Game 1 Fabian 40 - 33 ArjanB
Masquerade and Shanty Town/Torturer were the key cards, possibly backed up by Throne Room. I go for a complicated Scrying Pool deck while Arjan's deck is a bit more straight forward. After some build-up I'm able to start playing Throne Room'd Torturers which kinda hurt, and eventually we reach an end game where Arjan can't catch up. Overall the game felt kind of close (and swingy, like all Torturer games) although I felt like I had the upper hand for most of the game.

Game 2 Fabian 53 - 27 ArjanB
I open Silver/Masquerade and buy nothing but Silver/Gold/Duchy/Province. Arjan goes for a Nomad Camp opening, and favors Harem over Gold, which possibly hurts him. We again reach an endgame with one remaining Province and me being up more than 6 points, so after buying out the Harem and Estate piles, the game is over comfortably for me.

Game 3 Fabian 46 - 42 ArjanB
I open Sea Hag/Scheme to his Sea Hag/Silver, he buys a second Sea Hag, we buy lots and lots of Silvers. He wins the curse war 6-4 and manages to Upgrade a Sea Hag to a Duchy right when the cursing is over, while also buying a Duchy, giving him a huge head start in a Duchy/Duke war I realize I'm pretty much forced to go into (my deck is crap and can't reach 8 for Province enough times in the time it'll take him to run away with the game). Since he starts greening earlier, his deck becomes slightly worse slightly faster, and I'm able to split the Duchies 4/4. With 2 Dukes left he's up 4-2, and I need both remaining ones most likely, and take a chance that he won't reach $5 when I know his hand is Baron and 4 unknowns (5 estates in the deck, 33 cards total) on his next turn. Turns out he doesn't have it, and I get a pretty lucky win in a very close game.

Game 4 Fabian 43 - 33 ArjanB
Again the Shanty Town/Torturer combo shows up, but I feel like Trader should be able to combat it decently well, and decide to not worry about it. I buy another Trader pretty soon, as well as 2 Stables and a Laboratory, and with 12 Silvers in my deck at the end of it all, I even skip Gold altogether. I gain a few Silvers from Arjan's lone Torturer, which is always nice. Arjan goes for mostly a BM deck (open Silver/Silver) with two Stables, a Torturer, a Shanty Town and it's not bad at all. In the end game he's always behind 1 turn though until I find the final $8 hand to end it.

Game 5 Fabian 30 - 46 ArjanB
Ugly game where I see a Conspirator/Apothecary engine which probably is too convoluted against his BM/3Stables/Baron deck, though it doesn't help that my two opening buys are #11 and #12 in my deck after the reshuffle. I make a few small mistakes too.

Game 6 Fabian 30 - 29 ArjanB
Trading Post/Haven opening, where I buy Golds with $6 and Arjan buys Border Village/Conspirator twice and some other action cards. He gets some pretty sweet draws in the midgame and has 4 Province by turn 12, and I find myself in a really bad spot. After he misses on turn 13, I still need both remaining Provinces to just get ahead. I buy the penultimate Province and am lucky enough that his deck has gotten just a little bit worse, as he only gets to $7 and Duchy, and I get the last Province on my next turn. Quick super close game where I probably get very lucky in the endgame.

Game 7 Fabian 24 - 19 ArjanB
Speaking of super quick games. We both open Ironworks/Masquerade and I go for a super fast Great Hall/Conspirator chain. I get 6 Great Hall, which along with the Conspirators I get to gain with my two Ironworks means I can sustain buying Provinces for 3 turns, which gives me enough of a head start to comfortably gain/buy out the Ironworks pile over the last three turns. Game is over by turn 13.

It was a fun match, which definitely seemed closer than the end result would imply. Great playing you Arjan, good luck in the rest of the tournament!

luliin

• 2013 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +41
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 04:13:23 pm »

Great, so you will not automatically forfeit if you're unable to play?
Sounds good to me.

I presume you'll just try to make it up when possible, before the end of prelims. I still haven't heard a peep from my first round opponent, so... I guess it'll work out, eventually.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2012, 04:47:28 pm »

Eevee wins 5-2 vs Mangsky.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/02/game-20120402-090016-71b94030.html
Eevee  27 - Mangsky 22
A hunting party game, I open with swindler-silver (should have gone for silver-swindler), my opponent surprisingly prefers scout with his swindler which i dont really get (there are nobles on board, dont see them being important at all). All the swindling makes hunting parties a lot less effective (turning them into duchies and coppers into curses for more variety), but I'm able to keep a fairly safe lead all the way. Mangsky accidentally buys the last province to end it for me (he didnt notice my swindler hit his the previous turn) but it doenst really matter, i was going to win anyways.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/02/game-20120402-091327-9d38fe5d.html
Mangsky 18 - Eevee 17
A really fun engine game, ironworks, great hall, conspirator, steward and pawn being the most important components. Very very close, Mangski is able to drain the 3rd pile gaining 3 pawns in the last turn (great halls and conspirators were already out) and also buy a duchy and an estate for a 1 point win (he had played a contraband and provinces were prohibited). I feel this could have gone either way.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/02/game-20120402-092015-f7d33a97.html
Eevee  42 - Mangsky 22
Game with sea hag where no sea hags are ever bought due to masquarade. I open masq-silver, mangski goes for bishop-masq.  Hunting parties are good. I win.

I lost the log on the next game, but mangski opens mint-crossroads while i go for bridge silver. Mangski's gamble doesnt really work out while i manage to get rid of most of my coppers with a mint and then continue to build a pretty nice minion-crossroads-bridge engine with some menagerie support. Mangski resigns quite early on.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/02/game-20120402-092458-80abea6e.html
Mangsky 26 - Eevee 37
I play doublejack with 2 minions and harems, mangski opens swindler-jack (and actually trashes the swindler on turn 8?). Booring game, I win.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/02/game-20120402-094213-fec9fb1b.html
Mangsky 27 - Eevee 21
This was such a sad game. I pretty much always veto familiar so i'm probably super bad with it, but i would still had assumed i could at least make it closer than this when my opponents draws the dreadful 2 + potion on turn 4 (although my potion misses the shuffle too). Dont know what happened, i got absolutely destroyed. Once again hunting party is the important card, shouldnt let your opponent get 8 of those.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/02/game-20120402-100004-de1ad3f7.html
Eevee  28 - Mangsky 25
Very unusual board, we both go for border village-torturer and transition to vineyards (and in his case golems) later. In my final turn i buy a great hall to hit 15th action card which pumpss my 4 vineyards up 1 each and then buy a great hall and a curse to pile it for a 3 point win, very close and intense game. I think my opponent not buying any herbalists did it for me here, topdecking those potions was pretty awesome. I think i could play this better if I got a second chance at it though.

Nice games, nice playing with you mangsky.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2012, 05:43:21 pm »

It seems pops is not intending to participate in the tournament. He hasn't responded to my messages, and apparently the same thing happened in Round 1.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2012, 09:33:04 pm »

Robz888 8 -- blueblimp 6

A bunch of interesting boards here, which made for fun games. There was plenty of suboptimal play from us both.

Game 1: blueblimp 36 - Robz888 45: okay Minion board, I might have gone green too early
Game 2: blueblimp 17 - Robz888 15: Vineyard rush, 9 workshops beat 1
Game 3: Robz888 45 - blueblimp 28: some fancy play syndrome with Crossroads/Upgrade opener... something like Masq+BM probably dominant
Game 4: blueblimp 26 - Robz888 33: crazy game with Ironworks, Silk Road and Swindler... questionable play by us both
Game 5: blueblimp 42 - Robz888 17: Alchemist, Masquerade, Margrave, Inn, Bridge, Nobles... how to play this?
Game 6: Robz888 27 - blueblimp 29: lucky 5/2; Upgrade/Pawn opener gets 9 Peddlers
Game 7: Robz888 13 - blueblimp 9: Horn of Plenty board, with questionable play by us both that might have lost to Masq+BM
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 09:35:47 pm by blueblimp »

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2012, 10:01:42 pm »
+1

If you want the short version, which you assuredly do, it's right above me. But I don't have anything else to do, so here's some in-depth. :)

blueblimp 36 - 45 Robz888 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/02/game-20120402-170147-d79d0f70.html

A Minion game where he opens Steward/Silver and I open Baron/Steward. In past Minion games I've done well with Baron--it's surprisingly helpful in the end game at grinding out that last Province, and it was the only extra buy here. Steward/Silver might have been better, but blueblimp starts greening with an early Province and Duchies, and never bothers constructing a powerful Minion deck. I win the Minions race by default and end up with 6 Provinces and a fairly easy win.

blueblimp 17 - 15 Robz888 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/02/game-20120402-170542-2e47babb.html

So he made significant mistakes last game; this game, it's my turn. I just don't play Vineyards very well, and with Workshop and heavy cursing, Vineyard is absolutely the right play. I sort of half attempt to get them, while also going for Duchy/Duke, which fails spectacularly. He commits to Vineyards much more aggressively, piles run out quickly, and with more Workshops he scores an easy win. This wasn't actually close, despite the score.

Robz888 45 - 28 blueblimp http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/02/game-20120402-171129-2dfe0189.html

A 5/2 start effectively dooms my opponent on what is essentially a Masq + Big Money board.

blueblimp 26 - 33 Robz888 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/02/game-20120402-171919-ba969388.html

He gets 5/2 again. This time I'm not sure which is better. I would have guessed 4/3 was better because I am able to grab Ironworks/Swindler and ready myself for the Silk Road rush, but he also gets Swindler, Ironworks, and plenty of Silk Roads. He gets some early Swindler luck, hitting a Silk Road, but eventually I do that, too. A really lucky Province buy for me and I sort of steal the game right before Duchies go.

blueblimp 42 - 17 Robz888 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/02/game-20120402-173506-78d842b9.html

Engine game with Masq/Alchemist/Margrave/Inn/Nobles/Bridge. We both open Potion/Masq, but I draw Potion with 2 coppers on turn 2, which puts me way behind. He proceeds to build a truly giant, awesome engine, with tons of Inns, Alchemists, and Bridges. He Margrave and Masquerades me every turn, meaning I have to save a not great card as one of my three to pass to him. My deck steadily improves, but two megaturns for him and it's over. I don't think there's anything I could have done to recover from Turn 2 here.

Robz888 27 - 29 blueblimp http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/02/game-20120402-174411-b0143c7d.html

He gets the 5/2 again, and this time it is definitely better. Upgrade/Pawn for him means he gets to set up for massive Peddler gaining, which he does. I have decent options at the 3/4 level, and I open Fishing/Village Ironworks. I am almost able to end the game on piles with a slight lead, but it doesn't happen and he does instead. Bad luck for me here and last game, but potentially I could have played this one better if I had more of an early plan.

Robz888 13 - 9 blueblimp http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/02/game-20120402-175122-bdbd3426.html

This was an insane game. We both talked afterward about the mistakes we made. Masq/Silver for both of us, and we both are looking for Border Villages to gain Oracle, Tribute, and other stuff. He gets Horn of Plenty, which I totally overlooked as usual, and it's absolutely the right move here. I copy him and we both end up with tons of them. Then we sort of purchase stuff randomly, not hitting $6 nearly as quickly as we want to. He over-invests in Bridges, but I have too many draw-ers and no plan anyway. Then on Turn 16, I am shocked to find that there are only 2 Tributes left, it's the third pile, and I am ahead. I gain them with Horns and end the game with a weird win.

A fun series, overall. I think I played better in game 1, and got lucky in 3 and 4. He played better in 2, and got lucky in 5 and 6. In 7, we both played poorly and got unlucky ;) Thanks for the games, blueblimp!
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2012, 12:16:32 am »

elahrairah13 4 - 10 jonts26

A very fun series with a few interesting games. Some really close ones that could have gone either way. Thank you elahrairah13.

Game 1  jonts26 46 - 39 elahrairah13
With heavy intrigue, I figured Torturer might rear it's ugly head. And it did so in game 1. However, the only village was Festival, which I figured to be too slow. With no engines, I played the best BM I could, Torturer itself, with no supporting cast. Elahrairah13 opened Caravan, which I think is usually a bad open, and councilroom backs me up. In the end, I think first turn advantage and a slightly more focused deck let me take this one.

Game 2 elahrairah13 34 - 45 jonts26
There are some decent engine parts here, but the lack of +buy and the presence of a premier BM card really dooms any hopes of that. I play fairly dedicated Courtyard/BM with a somewhat fortunate Courtyard aided Mint in the midgame. Elahrairah13 opens Conspirator, thinking grand engine times, but ultimately realizes the board is just not going to support it well enough.

Game 3  elahrairah13 36 - 34 jonts26
Finally, an interesting game. No villages, except in the Black Market. Duke potential, but no great support. Minions. And an Embargo to really mess with the game. I plan on playing some sort of Minion deck, thinking it will really disrupt a Duke game and it should be the strongest card in a Province game. Well I get 4 before the Embargo token hits. And then another Embargo. No longer an option. Elahrairah13 starts in on the Duchies. I embargo them. He pulls a very fortunate Embassy from the BM. I pull a still somewhat decent Governor (used it to get another minion and adding a few Gold to my paltry economy). Probably not the best game plan for me. In the end, I come up a little short.

Game 4  jonts26 41 - 11 elahrairah13
Probably the real blowout of the set. Torturer is back to play, and this time he brought some friends. Elahrairah13 goes for some sort of Wharf, Apothecary deck. I realize Torturer is going to be very strong. I even had a lot of time to set up because falling behind too far on provinces would let me run a still solid Duke game. I think my Mining Village opening was a mistake because i was not committed to trashing it. Silver/Silver would have been stronger. After that it was a matter of getting a few Torturers and Villages and Cities, followed by some Wharves to really keep me going. He got out to a 3 Province lead but I had all the momentum behind me, though I did have to be wary of a surprise 3 pile.

Game 5  elahrairah13 25 - 47 jonts26
One of the great things about Intrigue as a set is the alt VP cards, not including Duke. Nobles, Harems and Great Halls arent the kind of thing you can build an entire strategy around, but they give you one important thing - time. With these cards, you can afford to lose the Province split. With all 3, I could afford to lose it 6-2. So with all the engine parts I could want, even a relatively fast BM in Envoy wouldn't be able to keep up. So I know this is a great engine board.

I opened Silver/Steward getting a very fortunate turns 3/4, trashing 2 Estates, buying a Pawn and a Margrave. Both of which offer crucial +buy. After some Inns, I choose Envoys over Margraves for a couple of reasons. With the extra card drawn, I am more likely to draw my deck each turn with envoys. Also, I have enough redundancy in my cards that the discard doesn't really matter. Second, while the first Margrave is potentially disruptive, repeated ones can only help the opponent. It wasn't long before I was drawing my deck, ultimately winning the game. Though I have to say with all the Envoy deciding, Inn and Margrave discarding, this was a very long 17 turns.

Game 6  elahrairah13 40 - 28 jonts26
And back to boring. Really nothing going on. Double Jack vs. Double Jack with an inconsequential Treasury. Combination of first turn and shuffle luck puts me in too far of a hole to crawl out of.

Game 7  jonts26 36 - 29 elahrairah13
Somewhat interesting Minion game. Torturer is back. Only village is Shanty Town which is not good enough to beat Minions. I opt for Shanty Town/Silver as an open. My ultimate plan is to first win Minions, maybe getting a Fortune Teller or two along the way to play with the Shanty Towns. Which should really slow down his deck. Well I never do get around to Fortune Tellers, though I do get a Torturer which makes for a few interesting discard decisions. He opens Ironworks, which is probably his big mistake. That combined with me going first let me win the Minion split 6/4 and ultimately the game.

ArjanB

• Spy
  • Respect: +28
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2012, 04:48:48 am »

It was a fun match, which definitely seemed closer than the end result would imply. Great playing you Arjan, good luck in the rest of the tournament!

It was great playing against you.
Nice games. I'm glad that I won at least one. While playing game 6, I was convinced that I would win that game too, I think you got very lucky ;) Beside from game 5 (and maybe 3 and 6) I think you outplayed me.
Learned a lot from you. Thanks and good luck with the rest of the games.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 06:32:14 am by ArjanB »

StickaRicka

• Pearl Diver
  • Danish Dude
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2012, 02:19:46 pm »

StickaRicka wins 6 - 1 against AngBoy

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/03/game-20120403-100337-f6b67356.html
#1 StickaRicka: 24 points (5 Silk Roads [14 victory cards] and 9 Estates); 15 turns
             opening: Silver / Ironworks

#2 AngBoy: 8 points (4 Estates, a Nobles, and 2 Silk Roads [7 victory cards]); 14 turns

Basically Ironworks + Silk Road

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/03/game-20120403-100728-f1d41286.html
#1 StickaRicka: 37 points (6 Provinces and an Estate); 17 turns
             opening: Jack of All Trades / nothing

#2 AngBoy: 19 points (2 Provinces, 2 Duchies, and an Estate); 17 turns
        opening: Ghost Ship / nothing

Double Jack rules - what else to say =)

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/03/game-20120403-101647-ff6e29c1.html
#1 StickaRicka: 35 points (5 Provinces, 2 Fairgrounds [9 different cards], and an Estate); 18 turns
             opening: Mining Village / Steward

#2 AngBoy: 25 points (3 Provinces, 2 Fairgrounds [9 different cards], and a Duchy); 18 turns
        opening: Mining Village / Steward

A weird game where I believe we both thought about going Fairgroundish, but then decided to flip to BM midways =)

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/03/game-20120403-102415-0cd6276f.html
#1 StickaRicka: 48 points (4 Silk Roads [17 victory cards], 2 Provinces, 5 Harems, 2 Duchies, and 4 Estates); 19 turns

#2 AngBoy: 43 points (4 Silk Roads [17 victory cards], 2 Provinces, 7 Estates, 3 Harems, and a Nobles); 19 turns
        opening: Ironworks / Silver
A very tense game with sooo many green cards! Kinda difficult to figure out the best strategy in this kingdom set, with Ironworks definately being a very important card...

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/03/game-20120403-103422-c4a5335f.html
#1 AngBoy: 41 points (4 Provinces, 3 Nobles, 3 Tunnels, and 5 Estates); 19 turns
        opening: Silver / Baron

#2 StickaRicka: 33 points (4 Provinces, 4 Nobles, and an Estate); 18 turns
             opening: Chapel / Minion

Minion is not my strongest card, and I thought the 5 - 2 opening with chapel was too good to be true =). It probably was, but I stupidly trashed all my coppers, leaving me with a broken economy needed to be rebuild!

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/03/game-20120403-104226-a87cb4e4.html
#1 StickaRicka: 46 points (4 Provinces, 5 Duchies, and 7 Estates); 22 turns
             opening: Ironworks / Steward

#2 AngBoy: 26 points (3 Provinces, 3 Duchies, 3 Estates, and 4 Curses); 21 turns
        opening: Tournament / Steward

Broken game with me hitting followers turn 8....

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/03/game-20120403-105237-373cc03f.html
#1 StickaRicka: 51 points (4 Silk Roads [22 victory cards], 7 Harems, 3 Duchies, 5 Estates, and 3 Great Halls); 26 turns
             opening: Masquerade / Silver

#2 AngBoy: 24 points (4 Silk Roads [13 victory cards], 5 Great Halls, a Duchy, a Harem, and 2 Estates); 26 turns
        opening: Walled Village / Masquerade

Masq + BM (with Silk's n' Halls) was too strong. As mentioned in a previous comment - MASQ IS SICK!

Fun playing against you, AngBoy! Good luck in the rest of the tournament. Btw, I think this tournament should be played without tournament ;) - it leads to too random games...
Years ago, my mother used to say to me, she'd say "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so so smart, or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart... I recommend pleasant. You may quote me.

Tonks77

• Scout
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2012, 03:54:52 pm »

Lekkit wins against Tonks77 4:3

Game 1: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/03/game-20120403-110439-d5058eb9.html

Lekkit wins!
All Provinces are gone.

cards in supply: Baron, Great Hall, Highway, Masquerade, Noble Brigand, Nobles, Sea Hag, Shanty Town, Swindler, and Vault
Constraint(s) used: exactly 6 "set=intrigue" cards.  The point tracker will be available.
----------------------

#1 Lekkit: 33 points (5 Provinces and a Duchy); 15 turns
        opening: Masquerade / Silver
        [21 cards] 1 Masquerade, 1 Shanty Town, 7 Coppers, 2 Silvers, 4 Golds, 1 Duchy, 5 Provinces

#2 Tonks77: 22 points (3 Provinces, a Nobles, an Estate, and a Great Hall); 15 turns
         opening: Masquerade / Swindler
         [20 cards] 3 Highways, 1 Great Hall, 1 Masquerade, 1 Nobles, 1 Swindler, 3 Coppers, 3 Silvers, 3 Golds, 1 Estate, 3 Provinces

----------------------
We both ignore Sea Hag due to Masquerade. While Lekkit does pretty straight Big Money with 2 Masquerades I also do some shenigans with Highways and Swindler and get punished.

Game 2: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/03/game-20120403-111318-ed5522ea.html

Lekkit wins!
All Provinces are gone.

cards in supply: Conspirator, Develop, Envoy, Harem, Hoard, Masquerade, Saboteur, Secret Chamber, Spice Merchant, and Tribute
Constraint(s) used: exactly 6 "set=intrigue" cards.  The point tracker will be available.
----------------------

#1 Lekkit: 43 points (5 Provinces, 4 Harems, a Duchy, and 2 Estates); 16 turns
        opening: Silver / Masquerade
        [27 cards] 4 Harems, 1 Hoard, 1 Masquerade, 5 Coppers, 3 Silvers, 5 Golds, 2 Estates, 1 Duchy, 5 Provinces

#2 Tonks77: 28 points (3 Provinces, 2 Duchies, a Harem, and 2 Estates); 16 turns
         opening: Spice Merchant / Secret Chamber
         [22 cards] 2 Hoards, 1 Harem, 1 Masquerade, 1 Spice Merchant, 1 Tribute, 2 Coppers, 2 Silvers, 5 Golds, 2 Estates, 2 Duchies, 3 Provinces

----------------------
Bad board for my 5-2-start. Buying Secret Chamber was a mistake. Later I hoped to hit his Harems with Tribute but even that didn't work out.

Game 3: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/03/game-20120403-112349-6c48ae96.html

Tonks77 wins!
Dukes, Estates, and Duchies are all gone.

cards in supply: Develop, Duke, Hoard, Jester, Nobles, Outpost, Saboteur, Shanty Town, Upgrade, and Wishing Well
----------------------

#1 Tonks77: 57 points (3 Provinces, 4 Dukes, 4 Duchies, 3 Nobles, 6 Estates, and a Curse); 26 turns
         opening: Silver / Shanty Town
         [48 cards] 4 Dukes, 3 Nobles, 2 Hoards, 2 Jesters, 1 Shanty Town, 1 Upgrade, 8 Coppers, 5 Silvers, 8 Golds, 6 Estates, 4 Duchies, 3 Provinces, 1 Curse

#2 Lekkit: 44 points (4 Dukes, 2 Provinces, 4 Duchies, 6 Estates, and 2 Curses); 25 turns
        opening: Jester / nothing
        [45 cards] 4 Dukes, 3 Shanty Towns, 2 Hoards, 2 Jesters, 2 Saboteurs, 1 Upgrade, 6 Coppers, 5 Silvers, 6 Golds, 6 Estates, 4 Duchies, 2 Provinces, 2 Curses

----------------------
Duchy/Duke rush. My Jesters were a bit more successful in finding his Greens at the start. Out of despair Lekkit even bought a Saboteur. ;)

Game 4: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/03/game-20120403-113208-8ed2a95f.html

Lekkit wins!
Dukes, Estates, and Duchies are all gone.

cards in supply: Ambassador, Baron, Coppersmith, Duke, Highway, Mint, Nobles, Saboteur, Tribute, and Vault
----------------------

#1 Lekkit: 44 points (6 Dukes, 4 Duchies, and 8 Estates); 22 turns
        opening: Baron / Silver
        [41 cards] 6 Dukes, 2 Barons, 1 Coppersmith, 13 Coppers, 7 Silvers, 8 Estates, 4 Duchies

#2 Tonks77: 42 points (2 Provinces, 4 Duchies, 2 Dukes, 6 Estates, and 2 Nobles); 21 turns
         [38 cards] 4 Barons, 2 Dukes, 2 Highways, 2 Nobles, 11 Coppers, 5 Silvers, 6 Estates, 4 Duchies, 2 Provinces

----------------------
Another Duchy/Duke rush. In turn 20 I had the choice between buying the last duke (which would have ended the game on piles and resulted in a tie) or buying a province, which gave 2 points more, but had the danger that Lekkit would buy the last duke for the win. I decided to gamble on the province and lost...

Game 5: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/03/game-20120403-114351-b88b295d.html

Lekkit wins!
All Provinces are gone.

cards in supply: Bridge, Colony, Duke, Expand, Platinum, Potion, Secret Chamber, Stash, Torturer, Transmute, Treasure Map, Tribute, and Wishing Well
----------------------

#1 Lekkit: 69 points (3 Colonies, 5 Provinces, 2 Duchies, and 3 Estates); 26 turns
        opening: Silver / Bridge
        [36 cards] 2 Expands, 2 Stashes, 7 Coppers, 3 Silvers, 4 Golds, 5 Platinums, 3 Estates, 2 Duchies, 5 Provinces, 3 Colonies

#2 Tonks77: 57 points (3 Colonies, 3 Provinces, 2 Duchies, and 3 Estates); 26 turns
         opening: Stash / Secret Chamber
         [37 cards] 5 Stashes, 2 Expands, 2 Secret Chambers, 2 Tributes, 1 Bridge, 1 Wishing Well, 7 Coppers, 2 Silvers, 2 Golds, 2 Platinums, 3 Estates, 2 Duchies, 3 Provinces, 3 Colonies

----------------------
Again a game where my 5-2-start was not the best of all possibilities. We both loaded up on Stashes, which I think in retrospect was maybe a mistake in this colony game. Tributes might have been the better idea for 5 after 1-2 starting stashes.

Game 6:
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/03/game-20120403-115645-ce1ab508.html

Tonks77 wins!
All Provinces are gone.

cards in supply: Baron, Border Village, Courtyard, Governor, Ironworks, Market, Nobles, Saboteur, Silk Road, and Tribute
----------------------

#1 Tonks77: 56 points (4 Provinces, 5 Silk Roads [17 victory cards], 2 Duchies, and 6 Estates); 16 turns
         [36 cards] 5 Silk Roads, 4 Governors, 2 Barons, 1 Border Village, 10 Coppers, 2 Silvers, 6 Estates, 2 Duchies, 4 Provinces

#2 Lekkit: 45 points (4 Provinces, 3 Silk Roads [15 victory cards], 5 Estates, 2 Nobles, and a Duchy); 15 turns
        opening: Baron / Silver
        [33 cards] 5 Governors, 3 Silk Roads, 2 Border Villages, 2 Nobles, 1 Baron, 7 Coppers, 2 Silvers, 1 Gold, 5 Estates, 1 Duchy, 4 Provinces

----------------------
Interesting game with Silk Roads, Border Villages and Governors. Governors allowed remodeling Border Villages into Provinces, but also Silvers into Silk Roads for the Opponents.

Game 7: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/03/game-20120403-120645-33cff5fb.html

Tonks77 wins!
Duchies, Curses, and Great Halls are all gone.

cards in supply: Familiar, Great Hall, Ironworks, Mining Village, Pawn, Peddler, Potion, Shanty Town, Trading Post, Workshop, and Young Witch ( Woodcutter? )
----------------------

#1 Tonks77: 25 points (5 Duchies, 7 Great Halls, 4 Estates, and a Curse); 19 turns
         opening: Young Witch / Silver
         [37 cards] 7 Great Halls, 2 Ironworks, 2 Trading Posts, 1 Mining Village, 1 Pawn, 1 Peddler, 1 Shanty Town, 1 Young Witch, 4 Coppers, 7 Silvers, 4 Estates, 5 Duchies, 1 Curse

#2 Lekkit: 16 points (3 Duchies, a Province, 4 Estates, a Great Hall, and 4 Curses); 19 turns
        opening: Silver / Potion
        [34 cards] 3 Familiars, 2 Pawns, 1 Great Hall, 1 Ironworks, 1 Trading Post, 6 Coppers, 7 Silvers, 1 Gold, 4 Estates, 3 Duchies, 1 Province, 4 Curses

----------------------

Young witch wins against Familiar. Also great opportunities with Ironworks and Great Halls.

Thanks for the great games to Lekkit. After being 3 victories behind after 5 games, I was quite happy to make it only a close loss.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2012, 05:00:56 pm »

Game 2: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/03/game-20120403-111318-ed5522ea.html

Lekkit wins!
All Provinces are gone.

cards in supply: Conspirator, Develop, Envoy, Harem, Hoard, Masquerade, Saboteur, Secret Chamber, Spice Merchant, and Tribute
----------------------

#1 Lekkit: 43 points (5 Provinces, 4 Harems, a Duchy, and 2 Estates); 16 turns
        opening: Silver / Masquerade
        [27 cards] 4 Harems, 1 Hoard, 1 Masquerade, 5 Coppers, 3 Silvers, 5 Golds, 2 Estates, 1 Duchy, 5 Provinces

#2 Tonks77: 28 points (3 Provinces, 2 Duchies, a Harem, and 2 Estates); 16 turns
         opening: Spice Merchant / Secret Chamber
         [22 cards] 2 Hoards, 1 Harem, 1 Masquerade, 1 Spice Merchant, 1 Tribute, 2 Coppers, 2 Silvers, 5 Golds, 2 Estates, 2 Duchies, 3 Provinces

----------------------
Bad board for my 5-2-start. Buying Secret Chamber was a mistake. Later I hoped to hit his Harems with Tribute but even that didn't work out.
Not to rub salt in the wound, but I think Spice Merchant was actually an equal mistake to your Secret Chamber buy. It's a pretty weak card in a Big Money game. Tribute, Envoy or Masquerade would have been more useful.

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
  • Respect: +390
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2012, 05:02:59 pm »

lespeutere (10) beats Nucleus (4) 5 - 2

After 4 games it was 2 - 2 with game 4 where he outplayed me completely and game 3 where my idea (which was good, I think) just didn't kick off at all and I barely managed to sneak out of this situation. I don't think I'm telling too much saying Nucleus's got a little weakness for pirates (and especially their ships).

Nucleus 33 - lespeutere 48
Many silvers from trader and 2 courtyards beat 1 courtyard and some golds with the help of harem.
I start with mountebank although I see him starting with trader. Then he goes for shanty town (and way too many of them). I try to give him a curse but it doesn't work out so I trade the mountebank and go for lots of silvers, decreasing numbers of coppers (via mint) and harems (nice little bonus with mint). 

Nucleus 35 - lespeutere 26
Money beats actions.
I try to set up a torturer engine but with trading post available it never hurts him that much although I get my first in turn 4. Well, he starts greening much faster than I do (3 provinces in turns 12, 13, 14 compared to my 2 prov in turn 14) and is never really in danger of losing this advantage.

lespeutere 34 - Nucleus 27
Ghost ships, upgrades and goons eventually beat pirate ships with golem support.
I was really happy to pull out that game in the end. I was actually happy to see him pirate ship away my treasures but never got a ghost ship/goons engine rolling. In the end I manage to end it on piles (estates, pawns, and shanty towns) with VPs from goons. I didn't play it well at all, I think but I'm still convinced that my idea was superior to his pirate ships.

Nucleus 33 - lespeutere 21
A kiloturn in the end with mining villages and council room punishes me for ignoring the engine potential.
I start baron/swindler and they collide in t3, of course. I got to admit I never really had a plan and so I played rather poorly. Having more money in the beginning (at least I felt like I had) I rely on his council rooms to supply me with the money I need. Having seen him start greening early in game 2 I want to be the one now, but he manages to get 24$ in the end buying the remaining 3 provinces. Well, I wouldn't have been able to buy a province + duchy in the following turn anyway while he drew council room and 2 golds after his t14.

lespeutere 35 - Nucleus 26
A single jack beats triple native village / margrave.
He starts margrave / NV where I would've started with courtyard instead of NV. I open jack/courtyard and go for BM with their support. I maybe should've picked up a 2nd jack when he had 3 margraves but I was able to keep 2gold, 1 silver in hand after his margraves once in a while. On t13 he has to buy a duchy although he had enough for a province. Then I can only buy a great hall leaving him the opportunity to win with buying the last province but his engine chokes just at the right time for me and I luckily draw silver and gold with CY on t15.

Nucleus 16 - lespeutere 41
Pirate ship is not that great (part I).
I fell extremely comfortable when I see him opening pirate ship on a board with ironworks, great hall, bridge, nobles, goons, conspirators. I do not do my best job to set this up but this may be due to knowing he should not be able to win this with pirate ships since I won't buy any treasures. The result is even not as clear as it could've been if I had played it consequently (and better).

Nucleus 20 - lespeutere 37
Pirate ship is not that great (part II).
Well, it's a minion board. He goes for pirate ships. It was a surprise to me he still managed to get 3 provinces but like the game before I feel very comfortable after the first few turns. I get a little lucky with swindler, I have to admit, and then I win the minion 'split' 5-1 which is enough (no +buy available) to get 5 provinces and end it.

Thanks for the match, Nucleus and good luck for the upcoming matches. I hope the seaside week shows itself like the first two weeks with many decisive cards NOT from the meant to be theme. Or just ignore pirate ship. ;-)
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.