Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Messenger bought when it is not your turn  (Read 858 times)

CaptainTheo

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +40
    • View Profile
Messenger bought when it is not your turn
« on: October 26, 2021, 06:39:07 pm »
+5

Just checking - if your somehow end up buying Messenger when it is not your turn, it would (usually) be your first buy in the turn and therefore you would select a card for yourself and all other players to gain?

I realise that this is an edge case but it could happen if you react to an Attack with Caravan Guard, choose to play it as Way of the Mouse when Way of the Mouse is Black Market (or Vassal when Black Market is on top of your deck), and one of the three revealed cards is Messenger.

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1351
    • View Profile
Re: Messenger bought when it is not your turn
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2021, 01:00:17 am »

Just checking - if your somehow end up buying Messenger when it is not your turn, it would (usually) be your first buy in the turn and therefore you would select a card for yourself and all other players to gain?

I realise that this is an edge case but it could happen if you react to an Attack with Caravan Guard, choose to play it as Way of the Mouse when Way of the Mouse is Black Market (or Vassal when Black Market is on top of your deck), and one of the three revealed cards is Messenger.

Messenger's text does say "a turn" not "your turn", so I believe the answer would be yes, that's exactly how it would happen. And now I'm wondering if that's ever come up in an actual game

For an even more extreme edge case: Suppose you also have a Black Cat in your hand at the same time. You could choose Estate as the card to give out copies of. Then your opponent will have gained a Victory card on their turn, and you can react with Black Cat to then Curse them!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 01:02:30 am by mxdata »
They/them

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
Re: Messenger bought when it is not your turn
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2021, 01:37:39 pm »
+2

Yes Messenger can trigger when it's your first Buy on another player's turn.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 20 queries.