Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Why do Treasurer and Torturer work the way they do?  (Read 639 times)

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2110
    • View Profile
Why do Treasurer and Torturer work the way they do?
« on: October 04, 2021, 07:40:33 pm »

1) Let's say you have the Key, play Treasurer and choose not to trash or gain. Do you "Take the key" from yourself, or try to "Take the key" and fail, or run out of options (having rejected the first 2 and being unable to execute the third)

2) Another player plays a first edition Torturer and the Curse pile is empty. What's the way it actually works mechanically? Is it:

A) "I play Torturer." "Of the two options, I choose "gain a Curse", and I can't".

Or

B) "I play Torturer. Either discard two cards..." "I choose not to", "...or gain a Curse", "I can't".

Is "(they may choose an option they can't do)" in the 2nd edition a clarification or a rule specific to the card?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 07:42:09 pm by NoMoreFun »

dz

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: DZ
  • Respect: +342
    • View Profile
Re: Why do Treasurer and Torturer work the way they do?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2021, 09:47:09 pm »
+3

1) Let's say you have the Key, play Treasurer and choose not to trash or gain. Do you "Take the key" from yourself, or try to "Take the key" and fail, or run out of options (having rejected the first 2 and being unable to execute the third)

You try to take the Key, and then fail.

2) Another player plays a first edition Torturer and the Curse pile is empty. What's the way it actually works mechanically? Is it:

A) "I play Torturer." "Of the two options, I choose "gain a Curse", and I can't".

Or

B) "I play Torturer. Either discard two cards..." "I choose not to", "...or gain a Curse", "I can't".

It's A. If it was B, Torturer would probably say something like "each other player may discard 2 cards. If they don't, they gain a Curse to their hand." There's a big difference between "choose one of x and y" and "you may x; if you don't, do y."

Is "(they may choose an option they can't do)" in the 2nd edition a clarification or a rule specific to the card?

It's a clarification. Torturer is the main time that the "you can choose a choice even if you know you will fail it" rule applies, so if any card needs that parenthetical, it's going to be Torturer.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 09:49:55 pm by dz »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 20 queries.