Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Lots of games played last week  (Read 1106 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Lots of games played last week
« on: September 20, 2021, 09:30:38 am »
+1

Had a small local board game convention last week/weekend. Stuff I played, with my favorite 2 games I played for the first time in bold:

Roam - Neat little puzzly area control type game.

Dragon's Interest - From the guy that made Q.E.. Also involves the concept of non-fixed values.

Sequoia - Very light area dice-based area control.

Innovation - Fun classic, has not gotten old.

Red Cathedral - Pretty unique game I learned recently; quite good.

Century Eastern Mountains - The Golem Edition of Eastern Wonders. I like this a lot; more than the original Spice Road.

Greed - You know this one.

Cooper Island - Very unique worker placement game; with a focus on very limited resources and maximizing every action.

Trajan - One of my favorite Felds.

Lost Ruins of Arnak - Great game! Maybe the only deck builder that didn't make me go "sure this is fine, but here's why Dominion is better". The deck building aspec is only a small part of it; not the focus at all. And of course as a Dominion player I tried to over-play the deck building part of it while ignoring most other things, and lost because of it.

Pick-omino - A fun press-your-luck game from Reiner Knizia.

Roll Player - Finally learned this. A dice-drafting game; it was fine but not a favorite.

Red7 - Fine if you want to play a game and only have 3 minutes available.

6 nimmt - Not very good with only 3 people; needs more.

Skull - Just learned this recently; pretty good light game. Better with more people.

Feast for Odin - Finally played the new Harvest mini expansion along with the enhanced 6-round setup rules. Still a great game.

Architects of the West Kingdom - Another great game; looking forward to playing more. Action-selection where actions get better the more you do them; but with a press-your-luck aspect where people have an incentive to take all your workers if you have too many gathered in the same spot. Very nice flow with no downtime, and pretty unique. First in a series of 3 games by the same designer.

Temporum - Another one you know. I won with Alien Egypt by getting to $100 quite quickly. Had Black Market in my opening hand, and played 2 more "Black Markets" using Age of Cybernetics. Along with a Gang of Pickpockets, each turn I simply played a card in order to draw a card get an extra $6 on top of the card value/effect. It was nuts.

Yokohama - Learned this recently; good game.

Battledome - 4-player competitive pinball. This: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRdg5uUP1Z8

Wingspan - I didn't like this the first time I played it a while ago. Still not a big fan. Too many little things where the game emphasizes theme and form over function. Also very punishing to new players when playing with people who know what they're doing.

Hallertau - A somewhat new Uwe Rosenberg game that I learned recently and loved. Still great on the second play.

The Isle of Cats - Finally learned this one. It was ok; I'd play again but not sure if I love it.

Tichu - Played multiple games of Tichu, of course.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
Re: Lots of games played last week
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2021, 06:03:55 pm »
+2

Red Cathedral - Pretty unique game I learned recently; quite good.
Bought this one. A lot of game in a small box. Puzzly, but might take too long for some.

Trajan - One of my favorite Felds.
I love Feld. This one was fine for me, not great. The Mancala is hard to get my head around.

Lost Ruins of Arnak - Great game! Maybe the only deck builder that didn't make me go "sure this is fine, but here's why Dominion is better". The deck building aspec is only a small part of it; not the focus at all. And of course as a Dominion player I tried to over-play the deck building part of it while ignoring most other things, and lost because of it.
I like this colorful game but still don't know what I'm doing. Playable on BoardGameArena.

Pick-omino - A fun press-your-luck game from Reiner Knizia.
Good for families. I prefer Sushizock im Gockelwok from Knizia. Seems like a better version.

Roll Player - Finally learned this. A dice-drafting game; it was fine but not a favorite.
Fun puzzle game.

Red7 - Fine if you want to play a game and only have 3 minutes available.
Good filler

6 nimmt - Not very good with only 3 people; needs more.
More chaos is more fun, sure.

Skull - Just learned this recently; pretty good light game. Better with more people.
Very good bluffing game. Great for parties.

Feast for Odin - Finally played the new Harvest mini expansion along with the enhanced 6-round setup rules. Still a great game.
My favorite board game of all time (Dominion is an online addiction which doesn't count). So satisfying when you find the perfect path to fill up your island and collect ALL the bonuses. I've been playing it non-stop on BoardGameArena (still in alpha). If you want to play, send me a message!!

Architects of the West Kingdom - Another great game; looking forward to playing more. Action-selection where actions get better the more you do them; but with a press-your-luck aspect where people have an incentive to take all your workers if you have too many gathered in the same spot. Very nice flow with no downtime, and pretty unique. First in a series of 3 games by the same designer.
This didn't do much for me. A fine worker placement, but nothing special.

Temporum - Another one you know. I won with Alien Egypt by getting to $100 quite quickly. Had Black Market in my opening hand, and played 2 more "Black Markets" using Age of Cybernetics. Along with a Gang of Pickpockets, each turn I simply played a card in order to draw a card get an extra $6 on top of the card value/effect. It was nuts.
Not Donald's greatest effort, but I will never say no to play it.

Yokohama - Learned this recently; good game.
Played this once on Board Game Arena. Was good, but would like to try IRL.

Wingspan - I didn't like this the first time I played it a while ago. Still not a big fan. Too many little things where the game emphasizes theme and form over function. Also very punishing to new players when playing with people who know what they're doing.
Non gamers and gamers enjoy this so it's good. Not amazing, just a solid little engine builder.

Hallertau - A somewhat new Uwe Rosenberg game that I learned recently and loved. Still great on the second play.
Another great Rosenberg design. Played this 1-, 2- and 3-player and it was fun every time. The cards are the heart of the game.

The Isle of Cats - Finally learned this one. It was ok; I'd play again but not sure if I love it.
Nope, this didn't do it for me. Colorful, but I prefer other Tetris games.

Tichu - Played multiple games of Tichu, of course.
A classic. A few too many rules but great fun.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2021, 10:07:23 pm »

Good for families. I prefer Sushizock im Gockelwok from Knizia. Seems like a better version.

Funny, I never heard of this before last week; when someone else told me that they preferred it to Pick-omino also.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Glitters

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
    • Kevin Games
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2022, 10:34:05 am »

I'm such a high tech zombie that now I play games only on my PC/mobile. Played Scuffed Uno and Chess Arena not long ago If interested, you could find both of them here: https://kevin.games/board.
And now switched to remastered dragon Spyro and Crash Bandicoot. Don't wanna to leave my childhood happiness behind and luckily some beautiful people adapted them for PC =D
as well as added fantactic graphics.
pls evaluate our project Kevin.games!
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 21 queries.