Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #129: In Play  (Read 7543 times)

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
Weekly Design Contest #129: In Play
« on: September 19, 2021, 05:32:24 pm »
+5

This week it is all about being in play. Design a card or landscape that in someway cares about what you currently have in play.

I deliberately gave a loose definition "someway cares about what you currently have in play" as I want to give a lot of freedom. For example, it could be behavior dependent on how many cards you have in play, types of cards you have in play, look to see if a certain card is in play, etc.  It could happen when you play the card, or it could be an on gain/buy/trash, etc, effect. You can interact with cards in play, for example trash them, replay them, gain a copy, etc. You could have a card whose properties are changed by what is in play, e.g. Peddler. Conditions on whether or not you can buy or gain a card could be dependent on what is in play, e.g. Grand Market

Below is a list of official cards that I would have deemed acceptable if they didn't already exist. Note the list is not necessarily complete, I might have overlooked something.

Cards
Bank
Changeling
Conclave
Conspirator
Crossroads
Emporium
Fortune
Grand Market
Horn of Plenty
Idol
Leprechaun
Mandarin
Magic Lamp
Mint
Monastery
Peddler
Raider
Scepter
Soldier
Tormentor
Warrior

Events
Alms
Bonfire
Pilgrimage
Raid
Stampede

Landmark
Colonade

What I would not accept are cards which affect cards played after it, for example, Sauna turning subsequent Silvers into trashers and Urchin's effect if the next card played is an attack.

Good luck.

*Soldier added to the list of official cards that would be valid, thanks Spineflu.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 02:33:41 am by xyz123 »

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #129: In Play
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 07:39:55 pm »
+3

Trading Village
$4
Action
+1 Card and +2 Actions.
If you have at least four differently-named cards in play (including this), +1 Card.

Unsure of whether the extra card should trigger at “3” or “4,” but have gone with 4 for now.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2021, 08:12:49 pm »
+2

Dorp • $2 • Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
If you have 2 or more cards with the same name in play, +1 Action; if 4 or more, +$1.

Cheap-o cantrip that turns into Villages or Bazaars depending on whether you have a nice little clique for it to work with. Naturally, it's cheap and can work with itselves to provide that.
Name is a South African term for a small/rural village.

Also, xyz123, if you want to add to your official list, Warrior and Soldier also do this, caring about Travellers and Attacks in play, respectively.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 08:17:06 pm by spineflu »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2021, 11:19:08 pm »
+9

All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2021, 04:06:08 am »
+1

Zebra
Action - $3
+1 Action
If you have an odd number of cards in play, +2 cards.

No longer my entry
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 06:28:32 pm by NoMoreFun »

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2021, 04:15:13 am »
+3

This is cool, but I worry about gaining Golds with this. It's pretty easy to do as you can just play the remaining Golds after this, and a Gold gainer at $4 may be too powerful (and this can even gain Platina). You could restrict it to just Actions? Alternatively it would work as a Night card, but then you can't have the +$1.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 04:16:20 am by faust »
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2021, 05:06:04 am »
+4

Trophy - $5
Treasure/Gathering

+$2
Add 1VP to the Trophy Supply pile.
If you have more differently named cards in play than there are tokens on that pile, you may trash this to take those tokens.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 05:08:42 am by faust »

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2021, 07:57:34 am »
+4

Visigoth (Action, $4)

+$2
+1 Buy

If all the cards you have in play are differently named, +1VP per card you have in play and trash this.

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2021, 09:47:56 am »
+2

This is cool, but I worry about gaining Golds with this. It's pretty easy to do as you can just play the remaining Golds after this, and a Gold gainer at $4 may be too powerful (and this can even gain Platina). You could restrict it to just Actions? Alternatively it would work as a Night card, but then you can't have the +$1.

Could it do its duplicating at the start of Clean-up (in the style of Improve)? Like:

Quote from: Ring
$1
At the start of Clean-up, gain a card that you have exactly 1 copy of in play.

This blocks the Magic Lamp trick of playing one copy of a Treasure before triggering the ability that cares about their only being one copy of that Treasure in play, then playing the other copies after. (Unfortunately it makes it less useful for Buy phase abilities that care about cards you've gained like Triumph and Destrier).
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +971
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2021, 11:42:33 am »

Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2021, 06:31:54 pm »
+2

Florist
Action - $5
+3 Cards
+1 Action
Discard a card per copy in play of the card you have the most copies of in play (including Florists)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 06:33:17 pm by NoMoreFun »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2021, 10:48:26 pm »
+2

Trophy - $5
Treasure/Gathering

+$2
Add 1VP to the Trophy Supply pile.
If you have more differently named cards in play than there are tokens on that pile, you may trash this to take those tokens.
I'm pretty sure this would take the (1) VP on the pile every time a Trophy is played (unless Trophy was the first card played in a turn at least once).  Nevermind, I missed the "you may".

Florist
Action - $5
+3 Cards
+1 Action
Discard a card per copy in play of the card you have the most copies of in play (including Florists)
This looks like it would end up being too similar to Forum most of the time except for the times it discards only one card (which would be a very strong effect for $5).

Here's my submission with a thought of on the fly just now
Haunted House
$6 Action - Victory
+3 Cards.
You may put up to 3 cards from your hand on top of your deck for +$2 per card you topdecked.
Reveal your hand. Trash a revealed Province to gain a Ghost to your hand.
-
Worth 5 VP if you have a Ghost in play at the end of the game. Otherwise worth 1 VP.
LA likes making haunted cards. With this, you have to topdeck your Provinces in order to keep them, but it might be worth sacrificing one for the Ghost if you're betting on having it in play at the end.
(I don't remember if we still need "from its pile" for the Ghosts.)

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2021, 11:07:09 pm »
+2

Labormen - $6
Action
+3 Cards
+1 Buy
This turn, cards you don't have a copy of in play cost $1 less.
Trash a card from your hand. Gain a differently named card costing up to $1 more than it.

An expensive conglomeration of Smithy, Bridge, and Remodel. Both the price reduction and remodel effect are conditional making them weaker than the average version of their effects. The conditions make it difficult to remodel a treasure into a Victory card, but allows Action cards you have a copy of in play to upgrade higher. The forced remodel means it will always be a net 2 cards instead of the 3 from a Smithy. I went with $6 as its cost because of all the mechanics it has, but I am not sure it is priced right.

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2021, 11:16:46 pm »
+7

Here's my entry this week. Twin is a cantrip that reveals the top two cards of your deck and draws any that match cards you have in play, so it can draw one, two, or three cards. There's some similarities to Menagerie, where it's very weak early on (since it can't draw Coppers/Estates), but gets better once you can thin and add duplicate Actions to your deck and if can play them at the right time once you have more stuff in play. Twins always draw other Twins, and if you don't reveal any matches, you at least get the Sentry-like deck inspection effect.

AJL828

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJL828
  • Respect: +394
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2021, 12:51:36 am »
+5

Four Leaf Clover
Action ($5)
+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1

If the cost in $ of all your cards in play is exactly $21, gain a Treasure.

A spin on Leprechaun, Four Leaf Clover is a Peddler variant with the possibility of an extra bonus if you time it just right. Like Leprechaun it synergizes with Throne variants, and it can also be popped more than once a turn with cost reduction. I wasn't 100% sure if I should limit it to gaining Golds, I decided to pick "Treasure" for now because there aren't a ton of official cards that can gain non-standard Treasures and I think the condition is difficult enough to warrant it.

This is admittedly one of my sillier ideas, but hopefully it can be silly in a fun way! :)
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2021, 04:10:40 am »
+1

Four Leaf Clover
Action ($5)
+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1

A spin on Leprechaun, Four Leaf Clover is a Peddler variant with the possibility of an extra bonus if you time it just right. Like Leprechaun it synergizes with Throne variants, and it can also be popped more than once a turn with cost reduction. I wasn't 100% sure if I should limit it to gaining Golds, I decided to pick "Treasure" for now because there aren't a ton of official cards that can gain non-standard Treasures and I think the condition is difficult enough to warrant it.

This is admittedly one of my sillier ideas, but hopefully it can be silly in a fun way! :)
The concept is neat, but I doubt that Treasures will be very desirable in a deck that can reliably activate Four Leaf Clover, and it can lead to a situation where you actively try to avoid activating it. I would put a "you may" there at least, so people don't activate it accidentally. But generally, I feel that a Wish or even some generically good VP/Coffers bonus might be better on this.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2021, 04:18:01 am »

I have made a submission already that I'm going to keep, but the contest made me consider another card idea:

Some Name - $?
Action
If you have more than X cards in play, +1 card, +1 action.

Otherwise, if this is the first [Some Name] you played this turn, and the previous turn wasn't yours, take another turn after this one.
Not sure what the best way to balance it would be in terms of the number X and the cost. But I think it's kind of neat. If you are lacking in inspiration this week, feel free to steal this idea  :D I would like to see how it does.

Also, should it be a Duration?

Jonatan Djurachkovitch

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jonis20004
  • Respect: +95
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2021, 06:55:49 am »

I have made a submission already that I'm going to keep, but the contest made me consider another card idea:

Some Name - $?
Action

Otherwise, if this is the first [Some Name] you played this turn, and the previous turn wasn't yours, take another turn after this one.
Not sure what the best way to balance it would be in terms of the number X and the cost. But I think it's kind of neat. If you are lacking in inspiration this week, feel free to steal this idea  :D I would like to see how it does.

If you look at Outpost it should be a Duration.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2021, 07:52:34 am »

Some Name - $?
Action

Right now, you've got three cases:
• more than X in play;
• first [name of card] and previous turn wasn't yours;
• otherwise.
I'd try to eliminate that otherwise clause, antigoldilocks zone that it is. Or widen it, maybe, and boost the effect for the more than X in play part. Also yeah, should probably be a duration if Outpost is.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 07:53:55 am by spineflu »

The Alchemist

• Golem
  • Respect: +214
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2021, 07:07:51 pm »

Four Leaf Clover
Action ($5)
+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1

If we assume only card costs of $3, $4, and $5, the only ways of activating Clover are:

$5, $5, $5, $3, $3
$5, $5, $4, $4, $3
$5, $4, $4, $4, $4
$5, $4, $3, $3, $3, $3

Mahowrath

• Spy
  • Respect: +192
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2021, 09:39:47 pm »
+2

Treetop Village
Action - $4*

+1 Card
+1 Action
You may play a cheaper Action card than this from your hand, for +1 Card. Otherwise, +1 Action.
-
On your turns, this has the same cost as the last Action you played this turn, if any.

Variable cost village; activating to Lost City, if you can find the appropriate Action to play.

@xyz123: let me know whether this qualifies; "last action you played this turn" could become "...that's still in play" if not.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 10:07:02 pm by Mahowrath »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2021, 10:58:54 pm »
+2

Why not make it simpler:
Treetop Village
Action - $4*

+1 Card
+2 Action
If the next card you play is an action costing less than this, +1 Card.
-
On your turns, this has the same cost as the last Action you played this turn, if any.

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2021, 11:59:06 pm »
+6

A Night version of Armory that lets you set aside cards that you have in play and gain a card onto your deck depending on the number of cards you set aside.  Setting aside Coppers or Ruins with this will also be useful as long as you don't trigger a bad shuffle.  On the other hand, setting aside your good cards may not be optimal unless you can draw around to them.  You probably also don't want to be setting aside any cards that have boni when discarded from play (e.g. Travellers, Treasury, Hermit, etc). 

You cannot set aside Duration cards, so that not only avoids tracking issues, but also prevents an overpowered synergy with Village Green.  There is however a strong combo with Capital.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 12:04:57 am by Timinou »

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2021, 08:39:48 am »
+3

I entered this into a contest before, only it was too cheap. Tracking can be an issue, but I like the strategies it creates if people can get past that:
Hostile Village - Action, $5 cost.
+3 Cards
+2 Actions

Trash a card you have in play that would be discarded this turn.

arowdok

• Spy
  • Respect: +129
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2021, 06:07:47 pm »
+6

Stroke of Luck
Event $0
Once per turn: If you have a Copper, a Silver, and a Gold in play, trash those Treasures for +1 Buy and +4VP.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.