Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Dominion: Allies  (Read 22187 times)

dz

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: DZ
  • Respect: +342
    • View Profile
Dominion: Allies
« on: September 18, 2021, 12:54:07 pm »
+22

https://www.riograndegames.com/games/dominion-allies/

Allies is the 14th expansion to Dominion. It has 400 cards, with 31 new Kingdom card piles. There are Allies that will do Favors for you, and split piles you can rotate.

It’s a celebration! People are dancing in the streets, and riding horses through the dancehalls. You’ve finally formed an alliance with the barbarians to the north. Instead of the streets running red with blood, they’ll run, well, the usual color, let’s not focus on what color the streets run. The point is, there’s peace. Sure negotiations were tricky. The barbarians are uncouth; they have no five-second rule and stick out the wrong finger when drinking tea. There are perks too though. They’ve given you skulls to drink mead out of, and spices to get rid of the skull aftertaste. And you’ve given them stuff in return: forks, mirrors, pants. It’s great for everyone. And with this treaty out of the way, you can get to work on your other neighbors. Soon, all the allies will be yours.

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
Re: Dominion: Allies
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2021, 03:22:24 pm »
+3

The rotating split piles sound really cool!  I wonder if they're like the Empires split piles or something different.

And here I haven't even played Menagerie in person yet!

NiCkLeB474

• Herbalist
  • Shuffle iT Username: NiCkLeB474
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2021, 03:36:36 pm »

I wonder what happened to the colored border around the edges of previous boxes?

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1329
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2021, 06:02:55 pm »

400 cards and 31 kingdom piles. If they're all normal-sized non-Victory piles, that would account for 343 cards, leaving 57.  I'm guessing that Allies are some kind of non-supply card.  It could be a single kind of card, like Horses in Menagerie, but I'm gonna guess that there's different kinds of Allies, with probably 10 of each.  So, maybe 4 different kinds of Allies, leaving 17 cards for Events or some other landscape?  Of course, there could also be one or two Victory card piles, or a pile that has more than 10 cards like Port and Rats

My prediction for the rotating split piles: they're one-shot cards that work like Experiment or Horse where they return to their pile, except that instead of returning to the top of the pile, they return to the bottom.  So, they might start out like a normal split pile, 5 copies of card A on top of 5 copies of card B.  You buy a copy of card A, and now it's 4 of A on top of 5 of B, but then you play your copy of A, and it goes to the bottom of the pile, so now you have 4 of A on top of 5 of B on top of 1 of A, and so on. Or maybe it's more like Castles or Knights where each card is different, but probably not that, since it says piles, plural, and that would mean that there'd have to be at least 20 different cards
They/them

Wizard_Amul

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +214
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2021, 10:38:40 pm »
+1

400 cards and 31 kingdom piles. If they're all normal-sized non-Victory piles, that would account for 343 cards, leaving 57.  I'm guessing that Allies are some kind of non-supply card.  It could be a single kind of card, like Horses in Menagerie, but I'm gonna guess that there's different kinds of Allies, with probably 10 of each.  So, maybe 4 different kinds of Allies, leaving 17 cards for Events or some other landscape?  Of course, there could also be one or two Victory card piles, or a pile that has more than 10 cards like Port and Rats

My prediction for the rotating split piles: they're one-shot cards that work like Experiment or Horse where they return to their pile, except that instead of returning to the top of the pile, they return to the bottom.  So, they might start out like a normal split pile, 5 copies of card A on top of 5 copies of card B.  You buy a copy of card A, and now it's 4 of A on top of 5 of B, but then you play your copy of A, and it goes to the bottom of the pile, so now you have 4 of A on top of 5 of B on top of 1 of A, and so on. Or maybe it's more like Castles or Knights where each card is different, but probably not that, since it says piles, plural, and that would mean that there'd have to be at least 20 different cards

Hmm, that could be. I feel like the concept could be several things, so I'll make a few guesses, using encampment/plunder as the example cards:

1. It's like a split pile but the cards alternate--encampment, plunder, encampment, plunder, etc.
2. It's like a split pile but the 5 cards on the bottom all rotate to the top of the pile whenever something particular happens--maybe one of these: a player's turn ends, a player buys (or gains) a card from the split pile, or a player plays a card from the split pile. Note that the condition of rotating upon gaining a card from the split pile is basically the same as idea 1 above.
3. It's like Vampire/Bat but as a split pile--the last line of text on encampment would be that you exchange it for a plunder and vice versa
4. It's a normal pile but each card has two options, using upside down text for the second option so you have to rotate the card to read it--for each play of the card, you get to pick whether it's encampment or plunder

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1329
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2021, 12:21:11 am »

Hmm, that could be. I feel like the concept could be several things, so I'll make a few guesses, using encampment/plunder as the example cards:

1. It's like a split pile but the cards alternate--encampment, plunder, encampment, plunder, etc.
2. It's like a split pile but the 5 cards on the bottom all rotate to the top of the pile whenever something particular happens--maybe one of these: a player's turn ends, a player buys (or gains) a card from the split pile, or a player plays a card from the split pile. Note that the condition of rotating upon gaining a card from the split pile is basically the same as idea 1 above.
3. It's like Vampire/Bat but as a split pile--the last line of text on encampment would be that you exchange it for a plunder and vice versa
4. It's a normal pile but each card has two options, using upside down text for the second option so you have to rotate the card to read it--for each play of the card, you get to pick whether it's encampment or plunder

I'm not sure how #3 would work - you can (at least up till now) only gain or exchange for the top card of a pile, so you'd have to have two piles instead of a single split pile to exchange like that.  #4 doesn't really seem meaningfully different from a simple "Choose one:" followed by two options.  And with #1, I'm not sure that would really work well.  One of the two is likely to be stronger.  If you have alternating ABABABABAB, then whenever you buy an A card, you give your opponent the opportunity to buy the B card, and if they do, then you can no longer buy the B card.  So you'd be rather reluctant to buy an A card, unless you have the buys and money to get both an A and a B.  #2 is an interesting possibility. Maybe that's also one of the "Favors" your "Allies" can do for you?
They/them

dmi3kno

• Pawn
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2021, 04:52:37 am »
+1

I think DXV is trying to reinvent Boons. Horses were a success, split piles offer (controlled) variety, so we are going to see a mix of these concepts.

I think we are going to have a new card type Ally and an “out of market “ Favour pile. Depending on Allies in play, different Favours will become available, like Heirlooms. Ally cards allow you to get Favours (think horses, but Favours are likely to be split piles). You can only draw new Favour if you return a Favour. You return it to the bottom of the pile, so the pile “rotates” and new Favours become available to get from an Ally.

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1396
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2021, 07:39:07 am »
+3

I wonder what happened to the colored border around the edges of previous boxes?
They ran out of colors
My opponent has more loot than me

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +455
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2021, 08:43:13 am »
+1

400 cards and 31 kingdom piles. If they're all normal-sized non-Victory piles, that would account for 343 cards, leaving 57. [...]

310 kingdom cards  plus 31 randomizers account for 341 cards, not 343. ;) So there's still 59 other cards left.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2021, 08:57:40 am »
+3

400 cards and 31 kingdom piles. If they're all normal-sized non-Victory piles, that would account for 343 cards, leaving 57. [...]

310 kingdom cards  plus 31 randomizers account for 341 cards, not 343. ;) So there's still 59 other cards left.

My pulled-outta-nowhere guess is 3 (or six, if double-sided) new deluded/envious style states (3x6 cards), 20 Allies, 20 Favors, one first player marker (which may matter if there's rotation or something) or blank.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 07:55:42 am by spineflu »

sc0UT

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: sc0UT
  • Respect: +106
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2021, 10:54:54 am »

Up until now no card shaped thing has the same name as its expanion and the card Menagerie is from Cornucopia. I doubt Allies will show up in Allies.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 10:56:29 am by sc0UT »

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2021, 12:39:01 pm »
+2

Up until now no card shaped thing has the same name as its expanion and the card Menagerie is from Cornucopia. I doubt Allies will show up in Allies.

Allies is the 14th expansion to Dominion. It has 400 cards, with 31 new Kingdom card piles. There are Allies that will do Favors for you, and split piles you can rotate.

Functionality blurb: "This is the 13th expansion to Dominion. It has 400 cards, with 30 new Kingdom cards. There are Horses that save a draw for later, Exile mats that cards can be sent to and rescued from, and Ways that give Actions another option. Events return."

sc0UT

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: sc0UT
  • Respect: +106
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2021, 02:24:31 pm »

Future will tell if I'm wrong. ;)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 02:28:59 pm by sc0UT »

Barbarossa41

• Alchemist
  • Shuffle iT Username: Barbarossa41
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2021, 05:13:15 pm »

I wonder when the spoilers will start?  ;)

TinchO

• Herbalist
  • Shuffle iT Username: TinchO
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2021, 11:06:59 pm »
+2

Very exciting to discover a new extension to Dominion as a newcomer to the game (discovered it nine months ago) !
Can't wait to see previews of the cards we will be getting in this one !
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 11:13:24 pm by TinchO »

Nflickner

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +130
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2021, 01:48:44 pm »
+2

Very exciting to discover a new extension to Dominion as a newcomer to the game (discovered it nine months ago) !

Welcome to the club!  If you are thinking about buying expansions, don't feel like you need to buy the earlier ones first.  Some of the best expansions have been the latest.  In fact, my brother and I think that the Menagerie is the best expansion of all! 

Titus

• Pearl Diver
  • Shuffle iT Username: Titus
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2021, 04:29:57 pm »

Wanna ally with that one for sure!
Announcement favors earlier than expected..
Does that mean there is still hope for this expansion being released in 2021?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 03:11:07 am by Titus »

TinchO

• Herbalist
  • Shuffle iT Username: TinchO
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2021, 01:00:19 pm »

Welcome to the club!  If you are thinking about buying expansions, don't feel like you need to buy the earlier ones first.  Some of the best expansions have been the latest.  In fact, my brother and I think that the Menagerie is the best expansion of all!

Thank you ! Actually, as weird as it could appear, i'm very much theme driven when it comes to acquiring expansions, after the big box i took dark age because of it's grim medieval tone, and the next one i want is empires in order to be able to have a post apocalyptic roman theme ! Sadly i'm not fond of the menagerie theme, allies on the other hand, with the winks to barbarians and all...

Ken Hill said on BGG that more infos will soon come...

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10719
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2021, 01:45:51 pm »

I'm wondering if this is actually true. I'm not sure what other info they'd want to release until previews start (about a week before release). I wouldn't be surprised if something had been lost in translation here.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25650
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2021, 03:50:18 pm »

I know of no additional info that can come out before previews. What languages it will be in initially?

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5138
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2021, 12:55:31 am »
+4

Surely the release date is a piece of information that will come out in between now and the previews, so maybe that is what was being referred to.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1203
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2021, 04:36:05 pm »
+3

What a brilliant crossover strategy! Can't wait for 2023 and Dominion: Axis.  :)

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
  • DSF lowest ratio upvotes-posts 14 yrs & counting
  • Respect: +228
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2021, 01:18:01 am »

Thank you ! Actually, as weird as it could appear, i'm very much theme driven when it comes to acquiring expansions, after the big box i took dark age because of it's grim medieval tone, and the next one i want is empires in order to be able to have a post apocalyptic roman theme ! Sadly i'm not fond of the menagerie theme, allies on the other hand, with the winks to barbarians and all...

A menagerie s just a  "a collection of wild animals kept in captivity for exhibition" or "a strange or diverse collection of people or things"  So just think of it as a diverse collection of monsters or a diverse group of demonic cursed artifacts, spirits and catastrophes.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 01:19:12 am by Honkeyfresh »
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10736
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2021, 07:42:38 pm »
+3

Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Tozar

• Chancellor
  • Shuffle iT Username: Tozar
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2021, 11:51:10 am »
+2

Functionality blurb: "This is the 13th expansion to Dominion. It has 400 cards, with 30 new Kingdom cards. There are Horses that save a draw for later, Exile mats that cards can be sent to and rescued from, and Ways that give Actions another option. Events return."

I'd speculate that Allies might be a type and not the actual name of a card.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 20 queries.