Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Hunting Lodge sequence.  (Read 904 times)

JoshPayne

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Hunting Lodge sequence.
« on: September 14, 2021, 09:16:41 am »

Hi,

In the Rules booklet it says, for the Hunting Lodge: "*first* draw a card and get +2 Actions: *then* decide if you want to discard your hand".

Does this mean, that the +2 Actions gained from Hunting Lodge cannot play cards from the new draw of five?

Does 'get' mean I can hold back playing the +2 Actions, until I've seen my new hand?

In the original rules, it says follow the instructions for the event first, then do actions (only) afterwards. If that's correct, the entry for the card in Menagerie Rules could cause confusion?

Thanks, Josh

mathdude

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
Re: Hunting Lodge sequence.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 09:50:59 am »
+4

TL;DR:

"+2 Actions" does not mean "play 2 Action cards". It means "add 2 more to the number of actions you are able to play this turn", or "add 2 to your Action pool". So you draw 1 card, then add 2 to the Action pool, then decide if you want to discard your hand for a new one or not... then regardless of which you choose, you still have 2 more Actions left than what you had previously.

Long story: (an excuse to eat a lot of candy)

When I teach the game to newer players, I sometimes use candy. You start your turn with 1 Action (in the Action pool), which is 1 chocolate chip in front of you when you start your turn,  and 1 Buy (in the Buy pool), which is 1 marshmallow in front of you when you start your turn.

In your Action phase, you put 1 chocolate chip away (usually eat it) when you want to play an Action card. If it gives you +1 (or +2 or more) Actions, you take that many more chocolate chips. Then you know if you can play another Action card still or not... especially important once new players get into the combos of villages and dead actions. But it's important to know that something like Throne Room, which says "play an Action card from your hand" does not use up a chocolate chip to play the next Action since it instructs you to do that (which is distinctly different than saying "+1 Action", which means add 1 chocolate chip in front of you).

The same goes for Buys (marshmallows). Any time you get +Buy, it doesn't mean you buy something now with the money you have... it means add a marshmallow to your pile. Then in your Buy phase, you know how many things you can buy, and each time you buy something, you eat a marshmallow. Again, more that "gain" (e.g. Workshop) does not use up that marshmallow.

Then during clean-up, all chocolate chips and marshmallows disappear (get eaten!) at the end of every turn. (This concept is important for some reactions that can give you +Action on other people's turns, which do not get saved for your next turn).

You could also use skittles for coins. Generally, I don't, as the introduction to coins doesn't require the full complexity of understanding the rules of coins. But it can show the importance of playing treasures one at a time (e.g. Bank), abnormal coin usage (Storyteller, Black Market), or even tracking as you move between phases (e.g. Cavalry,  and note that marshmallows are important for this one too). Any +$ on Action cards gets you that many skittles (you start your turn with 0 of these), then treasure cards each generate a certain number of skittles. To buy a gold, you eat 5 skittles and 1 marshmallow (unless cost reduction cards are in play). Again, all skittles disappear at clean-up (of every person's turn). Skittles are different than coffers, which do not disappear at clean-up.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 09:52:21 am by mathdude »
he/him

chipperMDW

• Duke
  • Respect: +822
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2021, 10:35:18 am »
+5

Diadem Diabetes

+2 Skittles

When you play this, +1 Skittle per uneaten Chocolate Chip you have.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2021, 12:47:43 pm »

Hi,

In the Rules booklet it says, for the Hunting Lodge: "*first* draw a card and get +2 Actions: *then* decide if you want to discard your hand".

Does this mean, that the +2 Actions gained from Hunting Lodge cannot play cards from the new draw of five?

Does 'get' mean I can hold back playing the +2 Actions, until I've seen my new hand?

In the original rules, it says follow the instructions for the event first, then do actions (only) afterwards. If that's correct, the entry for the card in Menagerie Rules could cause confusion?

Thanks, Josh

Note that your question is important even for just the base game; without expansions such as Menagerie. When you play a normal Village, you first draw 1 card and then you "get 2 Actions", but that doesn't mean you play 2 Action cards right away before Village is done. It just means you are now allowed to play up to 2 additional cards this turn. This would cause a different series of events when played with Throne Room, for example.

From the base game rulebook:

Some cards give "+1 Action." This increases how many Action cards you can play in a turn. The
increase happens right then, but you do not play the next Action card until completely finishing
the first one. Some cards give "+2 Actions"; that means you can play two more Action cards that
turn.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 12:49:16 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2021, 11:41:36 pm »

Turns out the OP knew all this stuff, they just thought the FAQ was confusing. They posted the same question on BGG and responded there, but didn't bother to do so here.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 20 queries.