Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Fan Card Mechanics Week 20: Season 2 Finale (One plus One)  (Read 486 times)

emtzalex

• Explorer
  • Respect: +443
    • View Profile
Fan Card Mechanics Week 20: Season 2 Finale (One plus One)
« on: September 09, 2021, 09:47:16 pm »
+2

(Note: after feedback from Timinou and segura I have rearranged this to hopefully be more clear; nothing has substantively changed.)

For the Season 2 Finale, you need to submit two designs, each with at least one mechanic. One design needs to be based around a Kingdom card pile and the other a landscape.

For the Kingdom card pile design, the only requirement is that it must incorporate at least one of the mechanics from Season 2 (Weeks 11-19) that is not used in the landscape design. Feel free to submit a regular, 10 (or 8/12) card plie, or to use any official (or unofficial) mechanics that jigger with pile size and makeup: split piles, extra cards (like Port or Rats), or even mixed piles (like Castles or Knights--but be warned, with these there is a serious risk of losing points in the simplicity category).

Your landscape design also needs to incorporate a Season 2 Mechanic not used in your Kingdom pile design. If your landscape is an Act or an Edict, you have already met this requirement. But you could also make an Event that Queues or a Project that is affected by the Seasons mat.

As a reminder, here are the Fan Mechanics featured in Season 2:

Season 2

Week 11: Acting Sideways

Week 12: High on your own Supplier

Week 13: Et Factum Est Ita

Week 14: 'Tis the Season

Week 15: Level Up

Week 16: We Only Take Card, No Cash

Week 17: Idle Hands

Week 18: From A to B

Week 19: Join the Queue

Feel free to support either of your designs (or both) with additional cards (non-Supply piles, Heirlooms, etc.) or landscapes (Artifact, States, etc.); your submission will still qualify if the Mechanic is used in the supporting card/landscape. For example, you could submit an Action card which gains an Artifact that Queues cards or an Event which gains a non-Supply card with the Season type. I'm not putting any limit on the number of these, but simplicity is one of the factors on which I am judging, and if I have to learn what a dozen cards/landscapes do to understand how your card works, it will hurt you in that department.

Also, while you can use these to support your design, they can't be the core of the design itself. In the first example given above, the Artifact-gaining-Action-card could count just as your Kingdom card design, but the Artifact could not count as your landscape. I would count it (and judge it) as part of the design of your Kingdom card.

Judging
I will judge each of the designs based on my usual criteria, which include Balance, Playability, Simplicity, as well as use of the mechanic and staying within Dominion's theme. I have previously summarized these as asking whether I would be excited to see the card as part of a Kingdom. Since I am asking for 2 designs, I will also be judging on how those designs work together. I would like to see some kind of synergy between the two designs, but more importantly, I would like to see them work together in a fun, balanced way.

Since this all will make scoring a lot more complex, I am actually going to score the submissions based on a specific criteria, and award points for each. I will not post the scores, but will be happy to message them to you privately as requested. I will give up to 40 points each for the individual designs, and 20 points for the interaction between the two designs (laid out in more detail below). The winner will be the highest overall score.

Deadline
Because I am asking for two designs, I am going to expand the notion of a "week" for the contest, to include the next work week, along with the weekend before and after it. Therefore, the deadline for submissions will be the end of next weekend, Sunday, September 19, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time (a.k.a. forum time). (That is Monday, September 20 at 03:45 UTC.)

I hope this is not too complicated, and that you all enjoy designing these. Let me know if you have any questions.

TL;DR
Design a Kingdom card pile and an landscape, each using at least one Season 2 mechanic not used by the other. The deadline is Sunday, September 19, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time (a.k.a. forum time).

Backstory
This contest is based on an idea I had, which is this: while there is interesting self-synergy in some official cards (Minion comes immediately to mind) or other designs (split piles, Heirlooms, etc.), the most interesting interactions in Dominion are between different cards/piles/landscapes/etc.

Around Week 15, I started thinking about a Season 2 Finale, and I got a bit worried. We already had two mechanics (Acts and Edicts) which, by definition, had to be landscapes, and two more (Suppliers and Level cards) which, by their nature, had to be implement via cards (Supplier because they only work when in play, and Level because you need to put something on their pile). This meant that the only mechanic that (at the time) could pair with each other was Seasons. By contrast, in Season 1, every mechanic except one (Wonders), could interact in a single design with every other mechanic. That's 28 different potential pairs (plus a few of them--Worshippers, Conditions, Ice tokens, and maybe even Kin--could have worked with a Wonder). This problem has been mitigated significantly in Weeks 16 through 19, with mechanics that are much more flexible. Idle Hands or Route tokens can be dished out just as easily by Acts and Edicts as by Kingdom cards, and (as I will express when I get the chance to post all the cards I designed over the past week), I think Queuing may have the most design potential of all, and can easily combine with any other.

Nevertheless, an idea I had earlier in the season has stuck with me, and I am going to go with it. As I said above, the most interesting interactions in Dominion are not within a design (Minion's disappearing money helping its dtx; Patricians allowing for lots of Actions to be in play when you buy a Forum, then drawing it once its in your deck; Secret Cave staying in play 2 turns to help your chances of triggering Magic Lamp), they are between designs (Rats + Ritual; Tactician + Baths; Skulk + Cathedral; Treasure Map + Way of the Turtle).

Detailed Scoring Criteria

Individual designs (40 points each)
Relevance (10 points) -- Did you make good, interesting use the mechanic (or mechanics)?
Balance (10 points) -- Is design useful, but not overpowering (both in general and in a variety of Kingdoms)? Put another way, in what percentage of Kingdoms would both using it and not using it be part of a viable strategy?
Playability (10 points) -- Is the design fun to play and does it work in more than one type of deck in a variety of different Kingdoms?
Simplicity (5 points) -- Is the design easy to understand, and is it easy to play the card (and remember how it is played (this doesn't always mean fewer words; a card with lots of text that, once you understand it, can be easily and intuitively be played is better than one with four lines of text that is hard to resolve)?
Theme and creativity (5 points) -- Does the design's name/concept fit into the general theme of Dominion historically and have some connection to what the design actually does (including what the mechanic does)? (You may want to give an explanation here if you think there might be some ambiguity.) The last couple of points are available for particularly clever or creative titles, references, etc.

Interaction between the designs
Synergies (5 points) -- Does the presence of one design enhances the play of the other (and how broadly does that work)?
General compatibility (15 points) -- Do the two designs, when considered as a unit meet the tests (especially Balance and Playability) from above? If they combine to substantially limit a common strategy or the use of a broad class of cards (e.g. Attacks, Durations), they will score very low. On the other hand, if the ways in which they work together are useful (but not too powerful) across a range of common strategies, all 15 points might be on the table.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 12:02:47 am by emtzalex »
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

emtzalex

• Explorer
    • View Profile
Re: Fan Card Mechanics Week 20: Season 2 Finale (One plus One)
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2021, 06:12:52 pm »
+1

Please don't worry too much about the scoring details. That is mainly for me, but I wanted to be transparent about how I was doing it (I'm now having second thoughts because I worry it seems too much like homework/an exam).

Judging these is always subjective (and it will continue to be). My worry with judging more than one design per entrant was how to compare (1) a person who submitted one amazing design and one meh design with (2) a person who submitted two solid designs, neither of which were as good as 1's better design.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +871
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2021, 10:04:20 am »
+2

Survey • Act
If you don't already have it, take Surveying.
Surveying • State
When you next shuffle, first gain an Idle Hands, then +1 Route and return this.
Course • $5* • Action
+1 Card
+1 Buy
+1 Card per level.
Queue a card from your hand per level.
-
When you buy this, reveal your hand. It costs $1 less per Action card revealed.

Used mechanics: Route, Idle Hands, Act, Level, Queue.
Survey can let you stock up on Idle Hands to buy Courses on the cheap (requires a village enabler). Course lets you queue up your Idle Hands for junk management. Output from the combo of the two pieces is Routes and extra Buys, which are both generally handy.

revisions: abstracted out the bonus from Survey onto a State that procs on shuffle (general rules reminder that you can shuffle one card, but not zero) to make that route token not mess with the opening so hard.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 03:04:51 pm by spineflu »

Jonatan Djurachkovitch

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jonis20004
  • Respect: +83
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2021, 06:27:55 pm »
+2

Here's my submission. It uses Suppliers and Edicts from this season and Dawn cards from the first one.

Beneficiary
$3 - Supplier-Duration
+1 Buy
+$1
$2: Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal an Action  card. Set it aside under this and discard the rest. Play it at the start of your next turn.

Living Grounds
Edict
Whenever you gain a Victory card, you may gain a Mustang.

Mustang
$3* - Dawn-Reaction
+2 Cards
Return this to its pile.
-
When you discard this, you may reveal it to put it on top of your deck
(This is not in the supply)

The thought is this: Beneficiary lets you for example pay to play cards you bought this turn at the start of your next turn, alternatively just accelerating your deck with a Ghost-like effect. Living Grounds lets you slightly mitigate the tempo loss of gaining a Victory card by gaining a Dawn horse, but it might backfire if you draw it dead. The interaction between Beneficiary and Mustang is twofold: playing actions at the start of your turn minimize the risk of drawing Mustang dead, and if it flips Mustang, you can topdeck it and be guaranteed to be able to play it during your next turn.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 02:09:11 am by Jonatan Djurachkovitch »

NoMoreFun

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1463
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2021, 07:32:37 pm »
+2

Relax
Act
+1 Action if you have no cards in Queue
Queue an Idle Hands from its pile

Tourist Village
Action/Season - $3
+1 Card
If it's Summer +3 Actions,
If it's Winter, +1 Action,
Otherwise, +2 Actions
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 04:48:07 am by NoMoreFun »

Aquila

• Witch
  • Respect: +631
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2021, 03:47:29 am »
+1

Audience - Action, $5 cost.
Choose one: play an Action card from your Queue; or play an Action card from your hand twice, Queuing it when it's discarded from play.
Prepare - Act
At Clean-up, put one of your Actions onto your deck when you discard it from play.
Prepare an Audience to keep meeting its target when it returns from the Queue each turn.

Aquila

• Witch
  • Respect: +631
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2021, 04:17:17 am »

Survey • Act
Gain an Idle Hands. +1 Route.
I thought of an Act with +1 Route by itself, but was put off by the radical openings that could occur. Like with a $5/$2 split, playing a $5 on turn 2 or a Night $5 immediately. The Idle Hands might soften this a bit, but not much with said Night cards.

Mustang
$3* - Dawn
+2 Cards
Return this to its pile.
-

The thought is this: Beneficiary lets you for example pay to play cards you bought this turn at the start of your next turn, alternatively just accelerating your deck with a Ghost-like effect. Living Grounds lets you slightly mitigate the tempo loss of gaining a Victory card by gaining a Dawn horse, but it might backfire on you. The interaction between Beneficiary and Mustang is twofold: playing actions at the start of your turn minimize the risk of drawing Mustang dead, and if it flips Mustang, you can topdeck it and be guaranteed to be able to play it during your next turn.
So is Mustang like Tunnel, a Reaction that triggers when it's discarded 'other than during Clean-up'? Do you also want it to react when discarded from hand at Clean-up? Either way it needs the Reaction type.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +871
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2021, 03:02:09 pm »

Survey • Act
Gain an Idle Hands. +1 Route.
I thought of an Act with +1 Route by itself, but was put off by the radical openings that could occur. Like with a $5/$2 split, playing a $5 on turn 2 or a Night $5 immediately. The Idle Hands might soften this a bit, but not much with said Night cards.

Ah, that's a good point. But fixable with a state (and a bonus of making it less abuseable for infinity routes.)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 03:09:08 pm by spineflu »

Xen3k

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2021, 03:22:30 pm »
+1

Spear Fisher - $3
Dawn - Action - Level
+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1
+1 Action per level.
Gain an Idle Hands.

Way of the Salmon
Way
+1 Route
+$1

Spear Fisher is a quasi Village/Peddler that gains you an Idle Hands. If you level it up once or play it during your Dawn phase it acts as a Village. Further Leveling makes it a super Village. If you have a Route available (or an Idle Hands in hand already) it acts as a Peddler by gaining the Idle Hands to your hand and revealing it for +1 Card. To get you some Route tokens, I made a simple Way; Way of the Salmon. Salmon always manage to make it back up stream for spawning, so I figured that would be appropriate. Not sure if Spear Fisher is priced properly as it has the potential to be really powerful with a bit of work, but it is comparable to a bad Oasis out of the box. Feedback is appreciated.

This uses the single Dawn card per turn rule, but it would only be slightly stronger with infinite. Just a little concerned about a "Golden Dawn" Spear Fisher deck.

(P.S. Not sure why the coin font is funky with the card generator, but I will update it when/if that clears up.) Fixed

Edit: Quick alter of the last line of Spear Fisher to be less of a "more +Actions" effect.

Edit 2: Per recommendation from segura, buffed Spear Fisher by changing the +1 Card to no longer be conditional. It is more directly comparable to Oasis now, and the bells and whistles of Leveling and the Dawn type should be balanced by Idle Hands gain junking your deck. I am not sure if it changes to being too good now, but this is a simpler design that I like more.

Old Versions
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 06:52:13 pm by Xen3k »

segura

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +728
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2021, 12:48:36 am »
+1

I think that this is too weak as it is only a cantrip if you are able to match it with the junk it generates and that you don’t want.
If you gotta play some other action as Salmon to make this a cantrip, it is not really a cantrip as you wasted a precious Action on a weak terminal Copper.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 12:50:10 am by segura »

Jonatan Djurachkovitch

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jonis20004
  • Respect: +83
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2021, 02:06:24 am »

Mustang
$3* - Dawn
+2 Cards
Return this to its pile.
-

The thought is this: Beneficiary lets you for example pay to play cards you bought this turn at the start of your next turn, alternatively just accelerating your deck with a Ghost-like effect. Living Grounds lets you slightly mitigate the tempo loss of gaining a Victory card by gaining a Dawn horse, but it might backfire on you. The interaction between Beneficiary and Mustang is twofold: playing actions at the start of your turn minimize the risk of drawing Mustang dead, and if it flips Mustang, you can topdeck it and be guaranteed to be able to play it during your next turn.
So is Mustang like Tunnel, a Reaction that triggers when it's discarded 'other than during Clean-up'? Do you also want it to react when discarded from hand at Clean-up? Either way it needs the Reaction type.
It is supposed to work at clean-up, but that might be a bit too confusing. You're right in that it needs the reaction type. I'll fix that now.

Timinou

• Duke
  • Respect: +437
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2021, 10:38:50 am »
+2

Mechanics used by Kingdom card: Queue, Level, Routes
Mechanics used by Landscape: Edict, Queue

I liked Aquila's Commissioner from last week's contest, so this is my twist on that.  Instead of Queuing cards on gain, you do so from your hand during Clean-up.  The Route tokens that you gain from Conscript would allow you to put cards that you gain in your buy phase into your hand.

In games with good trashing and Displacement, you should be able to get some good draw (albeit temporary) out of Conscript if you level it up sufficiently.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 10:48:56 am by Timinou »

emtzalex

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2021, 12:31:33 pm »
+1

Hey all. We are now at approximately 12 hours past the halfway point for the contest. I wanted to give a quick note. A few of the Mechanics went through some modifications during the contest (and in one case, after) and/or were varied in some of the submissions. I plan to judge based on the "official" version as designated by the person running that contest, unless I hear otherwise. Feel free to use the different/modified versions of the mechanics in your design, but if you do, please very clearly specify in your post that you are doing so.

During Week 11 the rules for Acts were changed to allow them to be played as many times each turn as a player has spare Actions, unless they specify others (i.e. by using "Once per turn"). I consider this new version of the rule "official."

Some of the submissions to Week 12 modified the rules for Suppliers. Some did not require spending a Buy on a purchase. Others limited the purchases to once per turn. Also, after the contest was over I changed the rules so that the purchases on a Supplier could only be used while it is in play. Unless you specify otherwise, buying a purchase costs a Buy; can be done as many times as the player can afford (both in $ and Buys); and can only be done while the Supplier is in play.

In their OP for Week 14, mxdata modified Asper's original 20-turn "year" for Season cards to a 12 turn year (i.e. 3 turns per season). I will be judging based on the 12-turn year, unless you specify otherwise.

I believe that the rest of the mechanics remained unchanged from their original version during the course of the contests (although I changed the original name of Violet CLM's "Project" cards to "Level" cards to avoid duplication of the later-created official landscapes). If I missed some, please correct me.
he/him/his

segura

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2021, 01:18:27 pm »

In my opinion, this contest is far too restrictive. I stopped reading when you began to single out particular sideway cards.

emtzalex

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2021, 02:29:38 pm »

In my opinion, this contest is far too restrictive. I stopped reading when you began to single out particular sideway cards.

How so? You can submit any kind of sideways card (official WELPs, or fan ones like Acts, Edicts, or Wonders) as your design, as long as it uses one of the mechanics from this season.

When you say you stopped reading, I think you referring to my requirement that the submission be what I called an "independent" landscape (and not one that is only used with another card like Artifacts and States). To me this is the same as requiring the card to be in a Kingdom card pile. A State or Artifact itself is not a stand-alone design that can be judged (just like it would be impossible to judge Horse or Idle Hands because you would have to know how players gain them).

I made the distinction with something like this in mind:

This would be a perfectly acceptable submission for the Kingdom card part of the contest, but the Baton couldn't count as the landscape. The Artifact is part of the Kingdom card's design, not a separate design to be separately judged. Also, this submission would still work if Grand Marshall was an Action card that gave Baton on-gain (like Flag Bearer). It is fine if the mechanic executed through the supporting card (spineflu's submission already does this; the IH and Route token are given by the State, which is taken by the Act).

I don't think the requirements are restrictive. You are free to use Artifacts or States, they just can't stand alone as one of the two submission. I am sorry if this was unclear in my OP.

I am also sorry if you just got frustrated reading the rules (including the second full paragraph and half of the third, which are just about the backstory and don't have any contest rules). I know my OPs are often super long (I do try to cut them down, but I always have a bunch more that I want to say). If it helps, here are just the parts of the OP that actually say the requirements (I left out the deadline and detailed scoring criteria, which are easy to find in the OP):

for this Season's Finale, I am requesting that you submit two designs, each with at least one mechanic. One design needs to be a Kingdom card pile and the other a landscape.

For the Kingdom card pile...The design must incorporate at least one of the mechanics from Season 2 (Weeks 11-19) that is not used in the landscape.

Your landscape submission needs to be . . . an "independent" . . . landscape [e.g. its inclusion in a game is not dependent on one or more other cards, so] WELPs, Acts, Edicts, and Wonders (but not Artifacts, States, Boons/Hexes, or Conditions). Your landscape also needs to incorporate a Season 2 Mechanic not used in your Kingdom pile.

Feel free to support either of your designs (or both) with additional cards (non-Supply piles, Heirlooms, etc.) or . . . landscapes (the above mentioned Artifact, States, and so forth). [You may use these supporting cards/landscapes to implement the fan mechanic (e.g. by submitting an Action or Event that allows you to take an Artifact that Queues cards).]

I will judge each of the designs based on my usual criteria, which include Balance, Playability, Simplicity, as well as use of the mechanic and staying within Dominion's theme. I have previously summarized these as asking whether I would be excited to see the card as part of a Kingdom. Since I am asking for 2 designs, I will also be judging on how those designs work together. I would like to see some kind of synergy between the two designs, but more importantly, I would like to see them work together in a fun, balanced way.

I am actually going to score the submissions based on a specific criteria...(laid out in more detail below). The winner will be the highest overall score.
he/him/his

Timinou

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2021, 03:06:48 pm »
+1

It might be helpful to list the Season 2 mechanics in the OP or link to the Hall of Fame that you've done a really good job of curating.

I think there haven't been a lot of submissions so far because it's hard enough to make one card that combines one or more fan mechanics, but here we have to design two independent ones that also work well together.  It's a pretty large design space, but there's a lot more to think about when designing them!

emtzalex

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2021, 03:55:07 pm »
+2

It might be helpful to list the Season 2 mechanics in the OP or link to the Hall of Fame that you've done a really good job of curating.

I think there haven't been a lot of submissions so far because it's hard enough to make one card that combines one or more fan mechanics, but here we have to design two independent ones that also work well together.  It's a pretty large design space, but there's a lot more to think about when designing them!

Thanks for the suggestion. I have reworked the OP to (hopefully) be clearer and added the list of Season 2 mechanics.

Hopefully the extra time (and having it go over two weekends, which seems to be when many people have the most time to design) will allow for more people to come up with submissions.
he/him/his

segura

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2021, 05:20:56 pm »

How so? You can submit any kind of sideways card (official WELPs, or fan ones like Acts, Edicts, or Wonders) as your design, as long as it uses one of the mechanics from this season.

When you say you stopped reading, I think you referring to my requirement that the submission be what I called an "independent" landscape (and not one that is only used with another card like Artifacts and States). To me this is the same as requiring the card to be in a Kingdom card pile. A State or Artifact itself is not a stand-alone design that can be judged (just like it would be impossible to judge Horse or Idle Hands because you would have to know how players gain them).
Well, if I read the first paragraph you tell me that I can use ANY sideway card. Yippie, I got a cool Artefact!
But, silly me, I forgot to read the second paragraph which tells me why the first paragraph is actually wrong.

Dude, it is your contest so you can run it however you want to. I just wanna tell you that this kind of hyper-restrictive setup will rather, well, restrict creativity than set reasonable parameters in which it can flourish.

emtzalex

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2021, 05:54:49 pm »
+1

Well, if I read the first paragraph you tell me that I can use ANY sideway card. Yippie, I got a cool Artefact!
But, silly me, I forgot to read the second paragraph which tells me why the first paragraph is actually wrong.

Dude, it is your contest so you can run it however you want to. I just wanna tell you that this kind of hyper-restrictive setup will rather, well, restrict creativity than set reasonable parameters in which it can flourish.

You can 100% use that Artifact. But there has to be some card/landscape that allows a player to take it.

If what your saying is that what allows a player to take the Artifact is the other part of your submission (the Kingdom card that uses some other mechanic), I'd consider the Artifact to be part of that Kingdom card pile's design. Similarly, if you designed an Event or Act that gave players an Idle Hands and a one-shot village called Elephant (i.e. "+1 Card, +2 Action, Return this to its pile. (This is not in the Supply.)"), Elephant could not be the Kingdom card pile submission.

If what you have is a Kingdom card pile that uses one mechanic and can take an Artifact that uses another mechanic, you would still need to design a separate landscape. Alternatively, you could design a landscape that lets players take the Artifact (instead of the Kingdom card doing it). Again, look at spineflu's design. Most of what is going on happens on the State (although using an Act to get it does implicate that mechanic), which is fine. Or you could do both. Submit your design as is (presuming it is as described), and also design an Act or Edict (or WELP or whatever) that can also take the same Artifact. While there are no official cards that do this, I don't see a good reason why it shouldn't be done, especially if you really like the Artifact you designed.

While part of the contest is evaluating the entries together, another part is evaluating them separately, and it's impossible to judge an Artifact, State, or non-Supply card in a vacuum. So I'm not doing this to add an arbitrary restriction; it would be impossible to judge an Artifact, State, or non-Supply card on its own the way I'll be judging the other submissions.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 06:10:14 pm by emtzalex »
he/him/his

emtzalex

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2021, 11:59:33 pm »
+2

24 Hour Warning!!!

Here are the submissions so far (please let me know if I missed yours)

spineflu's Survey and Course (with a State called "Surveying" supporting Survey)
Jonatan Djurachkovitch's Beneficiary and Living Ground (with "Mustang" supporting Living Ground)
NoMoreFun's Relax and Tourist Village
Aquila's Audience and Prepare
Xen3k's Spear Fisher and Way of the Salmon
Timinou's Conscript and Displacement
(Added since this post):
The Alchemist's Crowded Village and Relocate
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 10:42:22 pm by emtzalex »
he/him/his

Timinou

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2021, 08:29:04 pm »
+1

Conscript/Displacement is missing from the list.  :)

The Alchemist

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2021, 10:15:28 pm »
+3

Crowded Village and Relocate:

Settlements in your kingdom suffering from overcrowding? Unemployment rates are through the roof in the biggest and bustlingest villages, leading to abundance of idle hands, and not even the devil's workshop is hiring! Sometimes the only solution is to pack up your things and hope for a better life in the next town over...

I am going with this implementation of Idle hands, with a non-supply pile of 30 cards to match that of horses:

As well as a version of the rules for Acts that limits them to once per turn, but its possible with playtesting an unlimited version may turn out acceptable. As for crowded village, I considered a version that was up to 3 Idle hands, but +5 actions seemed a bit much, and a version that was simply "You may gain an Idle hand for +1 Action" was a bit too weak, especially compared with port or bustling village. And so up to 2 was the compromise.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 08:13:06 am by The Alchemist »

emtzalex

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2021, 10:42:36 pm »

Conscript/Displacement is missing from the list.  :)

Thanks! Added.
he/him/his

emtzalex

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2021, 11:59:58 pm »
+1

Submissions closed!

(Post with submissions list here. Please let me know if I have missed anything.)

he/him/his

emtzalex

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2021, 05:16:30 pm »
+2

Just a quick update, stuff has gotten pretty busy at work, so I probably will not be able to finish the judging until sometime mid-week. Will get to it as soon as I am able. Sorry for the delay.
he/him/his

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 21 queries.