Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Fastest solitary game  (Read 2331 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
Fastest solitary game
« on: March 29, 2012, 12:49:18 pm »

Challenge: end the game in as few turns as possible, in a solitaire game. You don't have to have any points or anything. No conditions. Bonus for a strategy that can work quickly consistently instead of with just great shuffle luck.

I was playing around with this last night and kept getting stuck. Here's what I came up with so far, although I'm sure that it's far from optimal.

We all know than in Puzzle #1, you can have all 8 Provinces by the end of your 5th turn. But that requires perfect shuffle luck. Nevertheless, one of my first thoughts was that following that puzzle's strategy would still lead to a fast game without perfect shuffle luck. It doesn't.

So I also tried various things with Governor, because everyone knows that that leads to fast games. Nothing doing.

The best I came up with was this: Open Bridge / Fishing Village. Buy Council Rooms, Throne Rooms, King's Courts, and more Bridges and Fishing Villages. This allowed me to pull a mega-turn on turn 10 and end it (with all the Colonies, Provinces, and Duchies!)
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
Re: Fastest solitary game
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 01:10:11 pm »

I think we can agree that 5 is probably minimal with perfect shuffle luck (any strategy in 4 needs to either gain 30 cards in 4 turns or 8 provinces in 4, both seem unlikely).

With a general strategy... I always used to get around 10-12 consistently with a Chapel/Lab/KC/Bridge megaturn deck. But your sounds better for that.

Assuming worst luck, we need something that can definitely empty the piles quickly... something that aims to grab two bridges, some FVs, and trash down with chapel, then grab labs and two KCs might just be best... but it still sounds pretty slow to me. It's mainly, the higher number you want (for a single card) the harder it is to guarantee your deck will hit it. $3-4 we can do, easy. $5 is already pretty tough. $6 and above require a dedicated strategy. So maybe something just looking at $4 cards and below (Throne Rooms...)?

Also, I believe BM gets to 4 Provinces in 35 turns... so about 40 or so is an upper bound :P.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
  • First to 5000 Isotropic wins
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 02:41:26 pm »

I spent hours and hours in solitaire several months ago, and the best I could come up with was 9 turns for the 8 Province megaturn.  My strategy kept shifting, and it was before Hinterlands, so I am sure someone could come up with better.
Jake <a href=http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/17/game-20120317-030206-6456f97c.html>opening: opening: Silver / Jack of All Trades</a>
<b>IsoDom1 Winner:  shark_bait
IsoDom2 Winner: Rabid
Isodom3 Winner: Fabian</b>
Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatári, Utúlie'n auré!

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 02:45:48 pm »
+1

Here's an 8 turn one http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/29/game-20120329-113844-58d359ea.html. It has poor early draws so it can certainly be improved.

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 06:50:50 pm »
+2

I found one that works pretty consistently - and ends on piles not provinces. Pretty much 8 turns every time if you do it right (I think 7 is possible, but I haven't pulled it off). Here a game log:

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/29/game-20120329-154311-5dec9922.html

Basic idea is:
Open Ironworks/Chapel

If you draw IW and C at the same time, use the IW for Great Halls to keep Chapel+4 cards. Chapel away the Coppers and Estates
Buy Ironworks on $4s if no chapel (otherwise Great Halls). IW more Ironworks in no Chapel

When deck is trashed, use IW for GH to have 1 or two in your hand, otherwise, get more IW. When out of GW, finish off the IW
Then IW the Islands (play the GH first to minimize the number of Islands that end up in your hand)

You still end up with 24 VPs.

I've also tried to end it on piles with 0 VP, but can't do it in less than ~10-12 turns.

ed

Asklepios

• Duke
  • Respect: +117
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 04:08:12 am »

With some sort of Ironworks + Great Hall + Embargo (for a rapid Curse emptying) + one Chapel perhaps?
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.583 seconds with 20 queries.