Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 68  All

Author Topic: Codenames XIII  (Read 96268 times)

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
    • View Profile
Re: Codenames XIII
« Reply #875 on: January 16, 2022, 04:34:17 pm »

Peanut is Red.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: January 16, 2022, 05:10:12 pm »

Alright then

Dance -> Undertaker -> Bridge

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: January 16, 2022, 05:30:45 pm »

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: January 16, 2022, 05:32:23 pm »

Dance is Blue.

Blue wins!

GLASSTUBAPEANUTTICKDANCE
ARMYPITCROWNKANGAROOWAGON
CELLGUITARAPPLEUNDERTAKERCLOAK
GENIEAMBULANCESOULBRIDGEMERCURY
CONESTICKERTORNADOBICYCLEDWARF

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Shuffle iT Username: Swowl
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: January 16, 2022, 06:04:45 pm »

Bro what a fucking game lol
Fire dance I’m guessing was the connection there?
Jesus how did i fuck that up
real good. That’s how
Town:  14 wins, 14 losses (1 MVP)
Skum: 7 wins, 7 losses (1 MVP)
3-Party: 4 wins, 1 loss

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: January 16, 2022, 06:04:52 pm »

oh we weren't the starting team

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: January 16, 2022, 06:07:43 pm »

scola and I decided I wasn't allowed to remind you. I considered posting the updated board after Peanut (along with the "Blue goes first" message), but decided that wasn't okay either (ie posting the board mid-turn as a way to say "Stop and think guys").

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: January 16, 2022, 06:13:56 pm »

I endorse the decision. Being punished for mistakes like this feels like it should be part of the game.

So if I hadn't messed that up, we would have known that your two first guesses overlap since Peanut wasn't part of either. That implies Bridge has to be the guess. Then it's between Undertaker and Dance, so we might actually still pick dance. Or am I missing something?

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: January 16, 2022, 06:21:56 pm »

I over-relied on you avoiding the Health words (Bicycle and Dance, along with Apple).

The fourth Fairytale word was Wagon. I associated it with fairytales just as an old-fashioned method of transportation, but then realised it didn't have an overt connection the way that say Carriage did, so I later re-clued it. Glass was a pretty poor oversight.

For Roadkill, the Bridge connection was weaker than I thought (the thinking being simply that Bridges are typically Roads). The risk in my mind was between Undertaker and Bicycle. If not for the Health clue, I probably only would have clued 3 (Kangaroo, Wagon, Bridge). The Undertaker idea was that Roadkill is dead bodies and Undertakers deal with dead bodies.

For the final clue, I would have clued away from Dance if I could come up with a way. I would have clued Unsafe: 3 (Peanut, Undertaker, Bridge) if not for Tornado. But I think it would have been fine if you'd realised we only had 8 words, as there was no room for Dance.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: January 16, 2022, 06:23:06 pm »

Wild finish, gg! Nice job giving clues, scola. We could have gotten dance on our last turn too, maybe even should have. Arguably a stronger connection than mercury.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #885 on: January 16, 2022, 06:23:42 pm »

So if I hadn't messed that up, we would have known that your two first guesses overlap since Peanut wasn't part of either. That implies Bridge has to be the guess. Then it's between Undertaker and Dance, so we might actually still pick dance. Or am I missing something?

You still needed two Roadkill words.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: January 16, 2022, 11:47:55 pm »

Ah you're right. Whelp :(

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: January 17, 2022, 12:23:22 am »

Oh wow - We survived!

It's late tonight, so I'll post a full post mortem tomorrow, but I will say now - I hope I wasn't too strict saying Jimmmmm shouldn't remind his team how many words they had left. It did occur me to some time later that he could / should post the board as a possible reminder, but I wasn't at a computer most of the day.

It looks like he thought of it too, but chose against it - too late now, but I do think that would've been ok in my mind.
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: January 17, 2022, 02:05:30 am »

It's kind of a tough one. I think if you were playing IRL you'd just say "We only have 8 words" and it would be fine. But then maybe you'd only do that if you were playing with new players and/or non-gamers. Online is a bit different because all the information is there for you and you have plenty of time to review it; but on the other hand because it takes place over multiple days it's kind of understandable that you'd forget things. I think given that most or all of us have played plenty of times, it probably is the responsibility of the guessers to keep track of this sort of thing.

I nearly did post the board, but I didn't want to open a can of worms of spymasters posting the board at specific times to communicate things to the guessers.

I did delay giving the Peanut result a bit to at least allow Galz to chime in first.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: January 17, 2022, 02:52:45 am »

scola and I decided I wasn't allowed to remind you. I considered posting the updated board after Peanut (along with the "Blue goes first" message), but decided that wasn't okay either (ie posting the board mid-turn as a way to say "Stop and think guys").

Clearly the correct decision, and all blame there lies on us. I honestly never considered the volume of words and was more focused on the individual clues - which early on doesn’t impact much but towards the end I should’ve been more cognizant of the implications.

That said… (I’m going to post this without checking) - the clue was Fairytale: 4, yeah? Crown, Dwarf & Genie? What was 4? Even if I didn’t talk them into Glass, they were going Dance… both were Blue. We didn’t really have a 4th after that. Bridge? Undertaker?
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: January 17, 2022, 02:53:41 am »

Clearly the correct decision, and all blame there lies on us. I honestly never considered the volume of words and was more focused on the individual clues - which early on doesn’t impact much but towards the end I should’ve been more cognizant of the implications.

That said… (I’m going to post this without checking) - the clue was Fairytale: 4, yeah? Crown, Dwarf & Genie? What was 4? Even if I didn’t talk them into Glass, they were going Dance… both were Blue. We didn’t really have a 4th after that. Bridge? Undertaker?

Ah - I see you meant Wagon… yeah - don’t know if we were getting there. 😥
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: January 17, 2022, 03:32:13 am »

Yeah, I've realised that my wavelength wasn't just "Things in fairytales", it was "Things in fairytales that are also not common in modern life", which is why I overlooked Glass, Bridge and to some extent Dance.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: January 17, 2022, 03:33:18 am »

Also, now that I'm allowed to Google I see that fairy tale is normally two words. Should I have not used it as a clue?

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: January 17, 2022, 04:18:43 am »

A fairy tale, fairytale, wonder tale, magic tale, fairy story or Märchen is an instance of European folklore genre that takes the form of a short story.

Can also be spelled as one, so it was legal.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: January 17, 2022, 04:42:48 am »

And it definitely means one thing, so I think it's completely within the spirit of the game. Also is only one word in German (just a unique word, nothing about fairies).

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: WestCoastDidds
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: January 17, 2022, 03:05:34 pm »

I can totally see myself saying “alright y’all let’s go this! Yep more words” and then giving the clue. In fact, I probably have done that. I don’t think of it as an infraction. Perhaps I am too lax?
classic Diddsian meddling
I never got to read what Didds said, but whatever she's saying, she's right.

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: January 17, 2022, 03:07:56 pm »

I can totally see myself saying “alright y’all let’s go this! Two more words” and then giving the clue. In fact, I probably have done that. I don’t think of it as an infraction. Perhaps I am too lax?

EBYOP

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: January 17, 2022, 06:52:24 pm »

A fairy tale, fairytale, wonder tale, magic tale, fairy story or Märchen is an instance of European folklore genre that takes the form of a short story.

Can also be spelled as one, so it was legal.

Agreed. Also it can be a single word with a hyphen as an adjective, e.g. a fairy-tale wedding.

https://grammarpartyblog.com/2014/05/26/fairy-tale-vs-fairy-tale/
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: January 17, 2022, 06:58:03 pm »

I can totally see myself saying “alright y’all let’s go this! Two more words” and then giving the clue. In fact, I probably have done that. I don’t think of it as an infraction. Perhaps I am too lax?

EBYOP

I do prefer to be more strict about what code masters can say (e.g. I even try to be careful with making sure to use the same punctuation each time, e.g. "Dance is blue." vs "Dance is blue!" as I feel that could imply that the guess was the word I was thinking, and not just a word of our team's color. But I know that's me being too strict and don't care much of other do.

In this case, though, Jimmmm had already given the Peanut clue and saw that which (four) words his team was thinking of guessing. At that point it seemed like it would be too much info, because it would give the team info that one of the (first three) words they were thinking was wrong.

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: January 18, 2022, 08:09:41 am »

Interesting, Scola. I think I’m pretty casual in most game playing, but manage to tighten it up in mafia so I can make an effort, here, too. And all things get exclamation points!

I have no idea whose up.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 68  All

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 20 queries.