Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #127: A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words  (Read 7260 times)

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
+10

Weekly Design Contest 127: A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words

Design a card that matches the theme of one of the 3 pictures below.

In this contest, you will be tasked to come up with a card that will thematically match one of the 3 suggested pictures. The pictures all come from artist Tomasz Jedruszek. His material can be found on Artstation. A very talented fellow with inspiring art, I believe he has that magic touch that very-well fit within the legacy of Dominion. Here are the 3 pieces of art in question, with links below them toward ShardOfHonor’s card maker with the picture well-adjusted to the card frame:

You can do whatever with these pictures. Name your card as you wish, price it as your heart desires and give it the best effect you can think of. And hey, make it any type you want too. So long as everything is bundled as a cohesive card. Like, if you take the first picture and name it “Mountain”, I’ll probably give the win to someone else :P . So take that into account, because judging will look at that aspect, alongside the balance of the card. The usual, more or less.

Some extra rules include:
  • The pictures are better formatted to fit a vertical, normal card (that’s debatable, but w/e). So exceptionally, to honour the challenge of this week, no landscapes please. Say no to Events, Landmarks, Projects and Ways.
  • If you're not going to use the card generator and simply want to write what your card does, please specify which art it would use. In most cases, I know this'll be obvious given the name of your card, but let's make it extra clear just in case.
  • I suppose if you’re feeling extra creative, you may use 2 or all 3 pictures to do something like a split pile or a mix pile. Or even use one of them as an out-of-Supply card à la Mercenary. If you do that, it will be up to you to find creative ways to thematically link the cards together. You may even do a mini 3-card Traveller line if you’re into that. Of course, just using one card is probably the simpler, safer bet here.
I will try my gosh darn best to do the judging on next Tuesday (21-09-07) around 8:00 PM… but we all know how it goes with my systematic delays. Sorry in advance if that’s the case…! Still, have fun, and do ask any questions if you’re unsure about stuff.

As a quick side note, I apologize to those for which I misjudged their cards last time (contest 122, the draw-to-X one). Re-reading it, I can see I made some bad mistakes in my judging. Please, don't let that deter you from submitting in this thread. You know what they say: people learn from their mistakes. So with that in mind, hopefully, I will do a more satisfactory job this week. :P
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 01:52:15 pm by X-tra »
Bottom text

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
Re: Weekly Design Contest #127: A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2021, 09:46:42 am »
+2

This uses the first (boat) image, if the mockup doesn't show up (and please let me know if the mockup doesn't show, trello is changing some things and it's real annoying.)

Knarr • $6 • Action - Duration
Now and at the start of your next turn: Gain a card costing up to $4 and set it aside on this.
At the start of your turn after next: Put the set aside cards onto your deck (in any order).

Sort of a Captain but for gains. Slower, really, and has the potential to Haunt you if you do it with victory cards. A Knarr is a type of viking ship capable of travelling across open ocean.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 02:52:09 pm by spineflu »

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2021, 12:12:18 pm »
+2

Inspired by the colour scheme of the image, I decided to go with an Action-Duration-Reaction card:

The top half is fairly straightforward.  You can play it now as a Lab or as a duration to start your next turn with +2 Cards, +2 Actions. 

It comes with a Black Cat-like Reaction whereby if another player gains a Victory card, you can trash Paladin from your hand for +5 Cards. 

Feedback on balance would be welcome.  I don't think it can cost $5, but it seemed a bit weak for $6 without the Reaction.

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2021, 04:36:27 pm »
+10

My Submission:

Quote from: Bastion
BASTION

[Card art shows a large castle or fortress in the middle distance. It has several towers and other structures, with light-colored brick and a red roof. Behind the structure in the far distance are mountains. The sky is light blue with a few white, fluffy clouds. A path marked by posts connected with a chain runs from the foreground out of frame, then reappears connected to a bridge.]

+1 Card
+2 Actions
Exile a card from your hand. If it's a Victory card, Exile this.

$4
   ACTION   

A twist on Hideout, Bastion is a village that thins your deck, Exiling cards instead of trashing them. As with Hideout, there is a penalty if you try to thin a Victory card (here, self-Exiling, rather than gaining a Curse), and the potential to mitigate that penalty (buying another Bastion, rather than trashing the Curse with Hideout). Or, if you don't need the +Actions, you could leave it in Exile.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2021, 06:41:06 pm »
+7

Northern Regiment - $4
Action - Attack
+1 Action
+$1
Gain a Horse onto your deck
Each other player discards down to 2 cards in hand, then gains a Horse to their hand.

A mix between a Peddler and a Militia. The attack is close to the same as Urchin as it sets all other players up with their best 2 cards and a Horse in Hand. The Peddler effect is delayed as you gain the Horse to the top of your deck. Playing multiple copies of this in a single turn could potentially "fix" a dead hand an opponent had, so I don't think it is a very oppressive attack and the Peddler effect requires either a horse or other non-terminal draw to be in hand. I want to price it at $4, but it may be too cheap just for the Peddler effect. Feedback is appreciated.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2021, 07:36:57 pm »
+2

A Village that Catacombs-ifies your next draw. Same name as emtzalex's entry, I know, but the prompt kinda limits the design space as far as names go.

Edit 1: Increased price to as suggested by people on Discord.

Edit 2: Reverted price back to .
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 10:57:37 am by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2021, 07:45:21 pm »

A Village that Catacombs-ifies your next draw. Same name as emtzalex's entry, I know, but the prompt kinda limits the design space as far as names go.

The prompt, and the fact that Keep, Fortress, Tower, Citadel, and Castle (sort of) are already taken.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2021, 08:33:48 pm »
+1

Castle Town
cost $4 - Action - Reaction
+1 Card
+2 Action
---
When you trash a card, you may discard this to put that card into your discard pile.

EDIT: picture 3
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 07:20:08 pm by majiponi »

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2021, 05:53:37 am »
+1

Using picture 1

Longboat
Action - Attack - Duration
$6

Each other player with 5 or more cards in their hand discards 2 of them.

Now and at the start of your next turn +2 Cards

AJL828

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJL828
  • Respect: +394
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2021, 01:29:16 pm »
+6

Action ($5)
Centurion

+3 Cards
You may discard an Action card for +$2.

A simple Smithy variant that gives you a little compensation if it draws something dead. It can also be used to counter Looters (kinda) or to give some extra income if you've drawn your deck already. Oh, and it kicks butt with Village Green :P
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2021, 01:57:18 pm »
+2

Picture 1. 
Galley
$6
Action - Duration
Now, and at the start of your next turn, you may Exile a non-Province card from your hand for +2 Cards.

“Non-Province” is inelegant, but prevents it from supporting a simple “golden deck” that buys and Exiles a province each turn.

Edit: link to this card per the card generator is here. That reminds me, all of the artwork for this contest is excellent artwork, which makes it fun to mock up the cards.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 05:31:09 pm by JW »

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2021, 02:14:20 pm »
+3

Templar
$4 - Action - Attack
+1 Action
Each player including you looks at the top card of their deck,
they may trash it or put it back.
Each other player gains a Curse onto their deck.

Nonterminal curser? Yes but with self-limiting damage and self-repair. Costs $4 to make it accessible at 4-3.

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2021, 10:52:57 pm »
+1

Entry withdrawn. Working on a new idea.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 09:42:11 am by Doom_Shark »
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2021, 11:12:11 pm »
+3

Embark
Event
You may set aside an Action card from your hand. At the start of your next turn, play it.

I might be missing something (and believe me, it's been happening a lot to me lately), but isn't this just Delay, except it now costs $3?

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2021, 11:57:08 pm »
+3

Here's my entry this week. Greatship is a Duration card that stays out indefinitely, until you gain another one. When you play it, you earn some VP that scales based on how many Greatships you have in play, and then you get a Key effect on your subsequent duration turns. There's a whole lot of VP and money that can be had here if you go for Greatships, however the discard copies on gain, and the fact that these are terminal stop cards make it difficult to stack them quickly. There's a bit of push your luck in the endgame of trying to decide if you have the draw, Actions, and time to gain one more and get another chunk of VP for playing all your Greatships again.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2021, 11:58:33 pm »

Embark
Event
You may set aside an Action card from your hand. At the start of your next turn, play it.

I might be missing something (and believe me, it's been happening a lot to me lately), but isn't this just Delay, except it now costs $3?

You aren't, it is exactly just Delay for instead of .
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2021, 01:38:09 am »
+2

This submission is OUT OF DATE. Please see the updated version

Stronghold | Victory | $4
Worth 2vp if you have the most copies of this at the end of the game.
-
When you gain this, gain an Action card costing up to $5

Sort of like if Banquet costed 4 and only junked 1 card instead, and could only gain Action cards. Sometimes it is worth to rush 5, and then perhaps you can trash your Stronghold. Although, you may want to hold on to them, at the end of the game they could be worth something. Is it worth hanging on to the junk?
Designed this with two tensions -- a card that junks you to get a $5 is something you are likely to get in the opening, but victory cards you only want in the ending, so what do you do? Your choice! You may want to rush these to get that decisive VP lead, but a tie means no one gets the bonus points.

The Action card restriction prevents infinite loop, and also prevents IGG rush which would make this laughably powerful and un-fun.

Open to feedback

« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 10:51:30 am by anordinaryman »

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2021, 07:56:29 am »
+1

-

Sort of like if Banquet costed 4 and only junked 1 card instead, and could only gain Action cards. Sometimes it is worth to rush 5, and then perhaps you can trash your Stronghold. Although, you may want to hold on to them, at the end of the game they could be worth something. Is it worth hanging on to the junk?
Designed this with two tensions -- a card that junks you to get a $5 is something you are likely to get in the opening, but victory cards you only want in the ending, so what do you do? Your choice! You may want to rush these to get that decisive VP lead, but a tie means no one gets the bonus points.

The Action card restriction prevents infinite loop, and also prevents IGG rush which would make this laughably powerful and un-fun.

Open to feedback

I like the idea behind the card.  One potential concern is that this would make a rush too easy on something like a Groom board, since you can use Groom to empty two piles simultaneously.  Otherwise, I like this as a way to cheaply gain $5 cost cards.

P.S. I think you used the wrong symbol for the VP icon in the card image generator. 

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2021, 09:41:08 am »
+1

Embark
Event

You aren't, it is exactly just Delay for instead of .

You are both correct. I don't spend money on Dominion Online (nothing against it, I just vastly prefer in-person play), and I haven't had menagerie for very long, so I didn't realize that card already existed. Sorry folks, I'll think of something new.
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2021, 09:46:53 am »
+1

You are both correct. I don't spend money on Dominion Online (nothing against it, I just vastly prefer in-person play), and I haven't had menagerie for very long, so I didn't realize that card already existed. Sorry folks, I'll think of something new.

Also, just a quick note on how Landscape cards are exceptionally not accepted for this week's contest, sorry!

Castle Town
+1 Card
+2 Action
---
When you trash a card, you may discard this to put that card into your discard pile.

Just to make sure, this is using picture 3, right?
Bottom text

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2021, 12:04:43 pm »
+3

-
P.S. I think you used the wrong symbol for the VP icon in the card image generator. 

Timinou is correct. I believe you used the VP token symbol, which (in Shard of Honor's excellent new fork of Violet CLM's also excellent card image generator) you get by using a #. Official cards use the VP symbol, (which you get by using a %), both for indicating the VP value of Victory cards (see Gardens) and in awarding VP tokens (see Temple). I made this mistake (along with several others) the first time I submitted to the contest.

You also put the special character before the number, which puts the number inside the symbol, something you want to do for Coins (using $) and Debt (using @), but not for VP, which displays the number to the left of the symbol (see the previous examples).

Thus, in the editor it should be "Worth 2% if you have the most..." rather than "Worth #2 if you have the most...." which (I believe) is what it is now.

I would also add that "...if you have the most copies of this at the end of the game" is potentially ambiguous when two players tie for the most (this only matters in 3+ player games). Keep resolves this with the less ambiguous "you have more copies of than each other player, or tied for most."
he/him/his

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2021, 07:18:58 pm »
+1

Also, just a quick note on how Landscape cards are exceptionally not accepted for this week's contest, sorry!

Castle Town
+1 Card
+2 Action
---

Just to make sure, this is using picture 3, right?
Right. I forgot to write.

lompeluiten

• Bishop
  • Respect: +79
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2021, 07:13:30 am »
+2

-

Open to feedback
So thinking about game plans:
- rushdown: Pretty potent
- Midgame rush: Get an provice and suplements them with this
- quick fix for an five: nice balance
- supplementary victory points and at the start of the endgame (doens't clog your deck to an halt as fast as VP Cards). Okey

But why do you need the "if you have the most copies of this at the end of the game." instead of just: "2 VP" What are you trying to prevent?
- In an rushdown the one who had the most wins anyway
- Midgame rush: Nobody is going to join in.
- Quick Fix: For many players it aint vicotry points, but just an dead card
- Suplementary victory points: Does discourage that expect for the first player who starts with it

So it feels like it descourages certain play paterns

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2021, 02:37:18 pm »
+1

Using picture 3...

Eyrie (Action, $5)

+4 Cards
You may discard 2 Cards, for +1 Action.

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2021, 02:56:55 pm »
+8

Using picture 3...

Eyrie (Action, $5)

+4 Cards
You may discard 2 Cards, for +1 Action.

If you choose the discard option, this is already a better effect than Laboratory. And it can also give +4 cards as a terminal. So it has to cost $6.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 21 queries.