Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Dominion Regional Qualifier, June 23 2012 @ Oakland University, Michigan  (Read 36220 times)

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
+1

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/784156/dominion-tournament-official-regional-qualifier

This is a qualifier for the tournament system that eventually feeds into the World Dominion Championships.

Here is the official flyer and registration.

2012 Official Dominion Tournament Qualifier

Where:   MichiCon @Oakland University (in the Oakland Center)
When:     Saturday June 23nd, 2012  @12pm
Love Playing Dominion???  Want to test your skills???
Come play with the best in the Metro Detroit Area.
Free Promos for all players!!!
Winner receives a Dominion Game Product, a Gas Card and hotel arrangements paid for by Rio Grande Games to the Dominion US Finals in Chicago in July.  (The World Finals will be in August this year at GenCon in Indianapolis).

How do I register???
1.   To ensure a place in the tournament, register by sending an email to Shiloh Christie at shilohc888@sbcglobal.net or shilohc888@gmail.com  including your first and last name indicating that you are coming to the tournament.  Your e-mail will not be used for any other purpose than to inform you about tournament details and/or changes.  There are a maximum of 64 seats available so register soon.

2.   Show up at MichiCon on Friday night or Saturday before 11:30am and pay the MichCon entry fee ($6 for Friday night, $12 for Saturday only or $15 for both days).  Oakland University students are free with ID card.  The event fee for the Dominion tournament is an additional $5 payable at MichiCon.

3.   Show up by 11:30am on Saturday June 23nd and sign in.

Conditions/Rules
1.   All players will play 5 preliminary rounds involving 3 or 4 player-type games only. 

2.   Cards from Dominion, Intrigue, Seaside, Prosperity, Hinterlands and Cornucopia will be available for play.  Alchemy will NOT be played during this tournament.  Promo cards may be played in Single Elimination rounds only. 

3.   Rounds will last no longer than 40 minutes.  A 5 minute warning will be given along with a “last turn” call at the around at that time as well.  All 5 rounds will run from approximately 12-4pm with Single Elimination rounds lasting until about 6pm.

4.   The top ½ of players will advance to the single elimination semi-finals (or quarter-finals depending on how many register).  Total Wins will determine who advances to single elimination rounds.  If there is a tie in any game, both players (or more) will be credited for the win.  If there is a tie for advancement to single elimination, both tied players will advance.

5.    Players must act in a respectful manner during the tournament.  Etiquette will be explained by e-mail and at the tournament.  Most of all- have fun!!!

***Below are all the possible sets that will used for the Pre-lim rounds 1-5.  You can practice with these sets from now until tournament day.  Single Elimination round sets will be chosen on Tournament Day.  Good luck!!!   
I highly advise players to study up on their cards and strategy on www.dominionstrategy.com   Some of the best players (and the creator Donald X) chat there and play on dominion.isotropic.org  Don’t be a fool- come with your “A” game!!!

16 Sets to be used for Pre-lim rounds 1-5 (SE rounds will be chosen randomly at the tourny)
1.   Dominion- Cellar, Chapel, Feast, Gardens, Laboratory, Smithy, Thief, Village, Workshop, Witch
2.   Dominion- Adventurer, Council Room, Festival, Market, Militia, Mine, Moat, Remodel, Spy, Throne Room
3.   Intrigue- Baron, Bridge, Duke, Great Hall, Ironworks, Masquerade, Nobles, Pawn, Torturer, Upgrade
4.   Intrigue- Conspirator, Courtyard, Mining Village, Minion, Saboteur, Secret Chamber, Steward, Swindler, Trading Post, Tribute
5.   Seaside- Bazaar, Caravan, Embargo, Haven, Island, Lookout, Pirate Ship, Smugglers, Treasury, Wharf
6.   Seaside- Ambassador, Fishing Village, Lighthouse, Merchant Ship, Outpost, Pearl Diver, Salvager, Tactician, Treasure Map, Warehouse
7.   Prosperity- Bank, Contraband, Expand, Goons, Rabble, Royal Seal, Mint, Monument, Watchtower, Worker’s Village
8.   Prosperity- Bishop, City, Forge, Grand Market, Hoard, King’s Court, Peddler, Tailsman, Trade Route, Vault
9.   Hinterlands- Cartographer, Crossroads, Farmland, Inn, Jack of All Trades, Mandarin, Nomad Camp, Oasis, Oracle, Tunnel
10.   Hinterlands- Border Village, Cache, Fool’s Gold, Haggler, Highway, Ill-Gotten Gains, Margrave, Scheme, Spice Merchant, Trader
11.   Cornucopia- Fairgrounds, Farming Village, Hamlet, Horn of Plenty, Horse Traders, Hunting Party, Jester, Managerie, Remake, Tournament
12.   Dominion/Intrigue- Baron, Cellar, Festival, Library, Masquerade, Minion, Nobles, Pawn, Steward, Witch
13.   Dominion/Intrigue- Bridge, Mining Village, Remodel, Saboteur, Secret Chamber, Spy, Swindler, Thief, Throne Room, Torturer
14.   Dominion/Intrigue- Bureaucrat, Chancellor, Council Room, Courtyard, Mine, Militia, Minion, Nobles, Steward, Torturer
15.   Dominion/Prosperity- Bank, Grand Market, Mint, Royal Seal, Venture, Adventurer, Laboratory, Mine, Moneylender, Spy
16.   Dominion/Prosperity- Contraband, Expand, Forge, King’s Court, Vault, Bridge, Coppersmith, Swindler, Tribute, Wishing Well

PS: We're going to host a qualifier as well, but the details are still murky.  Suffice to say that it will be online (of course), it will only be for Americans (sorry!  we tried really hard to go international but we were turned down), and it will be played on the new server, whenever that comes out...

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
+1

How do non-Americans qualify for the World Dominion Championships?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
+3

PS: We're going to host a qualifier as well, but the details are still murky.  Suffice to say that it will be online (of course), it will only be for Americans (sorry!  we tried really hard to go international but we were turned down), and it will be played on the new server, whenever that comes out...

So it'll be a qualifier for the 2014 Championships then?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
+1

You have to be kidding me. I live 45 minutes from Oakland U. Well, guess I know what I'm doing on June 23!
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile

You have to be kidding me. I live 45 minutes from Oakland U. Well, guess I know what I'm doing on June 23!

Whoa, which direction?

Assuming I have nothing else going on, I'll be driving up from the south... perhaps I'll see you there!
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile

Whoa, which direction?

Assuming I have nothing else going on, I'll be driving up from the south... perhaps I'll see you there!

Cool! I live just east of Detroit, so... from the east.

Pretty randomly crazy that this qualifier would be held at Oakland U.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile

They don't. It's called the World Dominion Championships for a reason! (like the World Series)

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy

I am told that there will be other regional qualifiers in other countries. After all, last year was  as international as you could get (1 finalist per country).

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy

Oh yes, these tournaments will also all be 4-player. (Maybe ours will be 3p.  We'll see.)

ArjanB

• Spy
  • Respect: +28
    • View Profile

I think you could qualify to perform good on the Euro Championship, held at Essen (spiel)

andwilk

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +152
    • View Profile

Wow!  I live a half hour from Oakland U... that's convenient.  ;D

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
  • Respect: +390
    • View Profile

I think you could qualify to perform good on the Euro Championship, held at Essen (spiel)

There is an EC in Essen?
Last year, there was the German championship and then the world championship. In Germany there are several qualifying tournaments (20, as a matter of fact (incl one online on BSW); we are not used to such distances as (most of) you are in the US ;-)). I also know there are national championships in the Netherlands (which Geronimoo summarised in another thread) and Sweden (Lekkit and Fabian mentioning it). But they are 4pl here, as well.

ArjanB

• Spy
  • Respect: +28
    • View Profile

There is an EC in Essen?
Last year, there was the German championship and then the world championship. In Germany there are several qualifying tournaments (20, as a matter of fact (incl one online on BSW); we are not used to such distances as (most of) you are in the US ;-)). I also know there are national championships in the Netherlands (which Geronimoo summarised in another thread) and Sweden (Lekkit and Fabian mentioning it). But they are 4pl here, as well.

Yeah, you're right. That was the world championship. Not a EC in Essen

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page

So it'll be a qualifier for the 2014 Championships then?
Hey, let's be fair and realistic here. It'll be 2016, at least ;)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
+1

Apparently there are quite a few of us within an hour's drive of Detroit.  Which direction are you?  I am in Toledo, and apparent RobZ is from the snooty east suburbs. :p

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile

Perhaps this tourney is another sign that I need to go to U of M for grad school.  :)
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile

Perhaps this tourney is another sign that I need to go to U of M for grad school.  :)

Depends on what you're going to grad school for.

andwilk

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +152
    • View Profile

Apparently there are quite a few of us within an hour's drive of Detroit.  Which direction are you?  I am in Toledo, and apparent RobZ is from the snooty east suburbs. :p

I'm 15 miles north of Detroit and 15 miles east of Oakland U.  I joked a while back on BGG that I'd try and get an official qualifier in my basement, but now I won't have to since this one is literally in my backyard!

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile

Depends on what you're going to grad school for.

I'm going for chemistry.  And I've just made the decision for U of M, so I will very likely see many of you at the tourney. 
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile

I live a few miles East of Detroit, nearby Windsor!
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

questioneer

• Baron
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
+1

Hello everyone, I'm the GM for the tournament at Oakland University.  It is an official qualifier.  One of the people here- I think an administrator contacted me, asked me to join so here I am!!!  Any questions please ask here, email or PM- whatever.  I gave the person who contacted me (admin I think) permission to post the 3pg. info document on this website so all could see.  I'm getting high interest and great response so far.  Jay from Rio Grande is really helping out bigtime.  I'm very impressed with him and RioGrandeGames.  This WILL be a great tournament.  So far we will hold 64 seats- if we exceed that- I'll try to work to get more space.  Also, I'm working on more giveaways.  RioGrande has already helped some in this area and will give more if the tournament gets bigger- which it looks like it will.  You will not want to miss this if you are a big Dominion player near the Detroit Metro Area.

Any questions- Ask away. :)

questioneer

• Baron
    • View Profile

Flyer/Document is too big to attach- can and admin help me post this???

Thanks

The Questioneer

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile

I am definitely in! What can I do to reserve a space?

questioneer

• Baron
    • View Profile

As of right now you can e-mail me and I can send you the flyer/document until they post it here on the site.  It gives all the info and how to register.  Its very simple.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy

I emailed you to get the flyer to upload :)  It wasn't me or rrenaud that contacted you, so whoever did on our behalf, thanks!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.271 seconds with 22 queries.