Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #126: Seeking an Heir  (Read 8468 times)

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #126: Seeking an Heir
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2021, 08:43:21 pm »

Submission

Woodsman | Action - Reserve | $4
+1 Buy
Put this on your Tavern mat.
-
When you play a card, you may call this to choose +2 Cards; or gain a card that costs up to $4
Heirloom: Lumber

Lumber Jack can be called immediately after your next card for a more expensive workshop that gives +1 buy. Or you can treat it like a +2 cards +1 buy which would be weak silk Merchant. If only you could line this card up for when you need it, so you can gain $5s with it. Well, you can! The power is you can choose to delay calling the card. You can choose to keep it on the Tavern mat to save a later turn, like a coin of the realm for cards. Or, you can wait until you play a Lumber, and now you can gain a card costing up to $5.

This card can be called in your Action, Buy, or Night phases. And this card can be called when it's not your turn. Thanks to Menagerie, there's a ton of cards that can be played out of your turn, like Black Cat. Good thing that both the actions you can take when you call it are easily trackable even if it's not your turn.

The card has to cost at least $4 because it is almost strictly better than workshop (except for a turn where that is the last action card you have to play and you have no treasures).

As always, open to feedback.

Woodsman should either say "you may first call this..." or "whenafter you play a card..." to make it clearer whether it triggers before or after resolving the played card. The latter allows you to call it immediately, so if that isn't intended (I assume it's not based on your commentary), then you would also have to say "after you play a card other than this..." I assume it's intended to be before resolving, though.

Thank you! I didn't realize that after would allow it to call it from its own play! I think that's better, so I'm updating the original post with your change.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2021, 09:01:00 pm »
+1

Night Worker
Night - $5
Gain a card costing up to $4 onto your deck
If it's a(n)...
Action: +1 Villager
Treasure: +1 Coffers
Victory card: +1VP
(Heirloom: Torch)

Torch
Treasure/Heirloom - $3*
Cards cost $1 less this turn

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2021, 12:47:05 pm »
+3

Shipwright
Action-Night-Reserve $4

If this is your Night phase put this on your tavern mat. Otherwise gain a card costing up to $4.

Mooring
Treasure-Heirloom $3

Cards cost $1 less this turn.

- The card we have been given is a Treasure that in some circumstances you would want to play before some action cards. I decided to make a card that can be both an action you may want to play afterwards and a way of allowing you to do so.
- Hope I haven't missed anything with the idea of an action or night-reserve mechanic.
- I was a bit concerned about the potential that repeatedly being able to return to your action phase could be broken in some kingdoms. I couldn't think of a specific examples, but it seems likely that it exists. To mitigate this I decided that the switching to your action phase is set up in the night phase of the previous turn.

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2021, 09:29:35 am »
+3

Brooch 
$3
Treasure
$1. +1 Buy.
You may trash a card from your hand costing $0 or $1.
Heirloom: Clasp

Clasp
$2
Treasure - Heirloom

I debated whether Brooch should cost $3 or $4. Edit: Brooch started at $4, but I have changed it to $3. It seems similar in power to Forager and double-Brooch openings do not seem problematic.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 10:01:06 am by JW »

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2021, 10:37:04 am »
+5

Souk is a draw-to-X Market variant.  Like Storyteller and Black Market, it lets you play Treasures during your Action phase.  Black Market is a good enabler of draw-to-X engines, so I wanted Souk to exploit that feature.  It only draws until you have 4 cards in hand...hopefully that keeps it from getting too crazy.  If you are able to open with Souk, the high roll would be to see Souk in your starting hand on turn 4 with 3 Coppers and your Lantern.  That potentially lets you gain and play a $5/$6-cost card.

The extra buy that Souk gives allows for gain and play, but isn't a bona fide +Buy, which in some cases you may prefer to have during your Buy phase once you have been able to play all your Treasures.  Moreover, you're less likely to be able to make good use of this extra Buy if you have a high density of Action cards that don’t give +$ in your deck or low money density.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 01:13:00 pm by Timinou »

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2021, 05:15:36 pm »
+2

Entry:

Record - Event, $3 cost.
+1 Buy
At Clean-up, put up to 2 cards costing from $2 to $4 onto your deck when you discard them from play.
Heirloom: Quill Pen
Default $3 cost Heirloom is fine here.

Former entry:

Extract - Event, P cost.
Once per turn: +1 Buy. Gain a card costing up to $1 per differently named Treasure you have in play.

I thought an Event would be less shuffle dependent, and that Potion cost was about right balance wise (as well as an extra different Treasure).
Edit: then I wanted something that's actually not shuffle dependent, so changed my entry to Record.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 04:55:54 am by Aquila »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2021, 07:38:18 pm »

Differently named Treasures again, I see... I started at counting all Treasures but couldn't be sure of balance.

I thought an Event would be less shuffle dependent, and that Potion cost was about right balance wise (as well as an extra different Treasure)

No image is showing up for me.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Aquila

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2021, 03:25:21 am »

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2021, 06:09:17 am »
+2

Extract - Event, P cost.
Once per turn: +1 Buy. Gain a card costing up to $1 per differently named Treasure you have in play.

I thought an Event would be less shuffle dependent, and that Potion cost was about right balance wise (as well as an extra different Treasure)
I like the idea, but I'm not sure how needing to have a Potion in your deck makes this any less shuffle dependent. You would get pretty much the same gameplay (barring interaction with other Potion costs) from this if it was a Treasure that reads "Once per turn: Gain a card costing up to $1 per differently named Treasure you have in play." At that point, it is a pretty straightforward Horn of Plenty variant.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 06:12:12 am by faust »
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2021, 11:43:55 am »

All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

lompeluiten

• Bishop
  • Respect: +79
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2021, 02:35:11 pm »
+2

The extra buy that Souk gives allows for gain and play, but isn't a bona fide +Buy, which in some cases you may prefer to have during your Buy phase once you have been able to play all your Treasures.  Moreover, you're less likely to be able to make good use of this extra Buy if you have a high density of Action cards that don’t give +$ in your deck or low money density.
I think this buying in between is an tracking nightmare without providing enough fun for it. I think you should drop the +$ and just make it +1 buy. (I do love the rest of the card very much)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 02:36:20 pm by lompeluiten »

lompeluiten

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2021, 05:36:27 pm »

Huh? There is no tracking problem at all. Play Treasures, buy something, draw to 4.
All you gotta do is what you always gotta do anything: count your Coins.
buy something for 3, one left, then buy something for 4 with one discount, with 5 new coins. As you can chain them this can go up to 4 to 5 times. You are constantly checking the change halfway your turn.

But if it makes it more fun to be being in your turn... I really don't see the fun in that. I see myself just not buying three times because I want that colony. And then maybe if I will notice I have some change, I might wanne use it.

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2021, 11:26:44 pm »

Huh? There is no tracking problem at all. Play Treasures, buy something, draw to 4.
buy something for 3, one left, then buy something for 4 with one discount, with 5 new coins. As you can chain them this can go up to 4 to 5 times. You are constantly checking the change halfway your turn.

But if it makes it more fun to be being in your turn... I really don't see the fun in that. I see myself just not buying three times because I want that colony. And then maybe if I will notice I have some change, I might wanne use it.

I've never heard anyone complain about tracking issues with Black Market, so I don't see why Souk would be any different.

As to why not just give the card a +Buy to use during your Buy phase like a normal card, rather than during your Action phase...by design, I wanted the choice of whether or not to try to take advantage of the extra Buy to create a dilemma for players in some cases.  There are some esoteric reasons why you would want to take advantage of buying cards in your Action phase (e.g. I believe this would let you buy cards without being affected by Hexes like Envious/Deluded) but the main reasons are either (i) if this is the only source of extra gains in the Kingdom, or (ii) if you want to be able to gain and play a card during your Action phase. 

lompeluiten

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2021, 02:16:58 am »

You are constantly checking the change halfway your turn.
True that. In Dominion you gotta constantly remember how many Actions, Buys and Coins you have. Throne Room variants lead to an actual tracking mess because they influence all 3 variables.

Souk does not unless you wanna argue that subtracting is significantly more difficult than adding.
That iwhy is said; “what for?” You normal flow is playing all your klcards for an engine, and see it tick. Then decide what you are gonna buy to improve that. So this card decide to break that flow. But how does it make more fun to break that. If you say:
“So you have jn between turn if yiu are gonna buy something” i dont bellieve that. In the build up face maybe, but he comes at 5. And if it comes at the greening stage, you are just going tk build up for buying green and then see what comes after.

So you add something you have to track that you dont used to have to track… but what for?

lompeluiten

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2021, 02:29:18 am »

I've never heard anyone complain about tracking issues with Black Market, so I don't see why Souk would be any different.

As to why not just give the card a +Buy to use during your Buy phase like a normal card, rather than during your Action phase...by design, I wanted the choice of whether or not to try to take advantage of the extra Buy to create a dilemma for players in some cases.  There are some esoteric reasons why you would want to take advantage of buying cards in your Action phase (e.g. I believe this would let you buy cards without being affected by Hexes like Envious/Deluded) but the main reasons are either (i) if this is the only source of extra gains in the Kingdom, or (ii) if you want to be able to gain and play a card during your Action phase.
Never played the black market xD

But i am not buying to advantages. I think they are way to niché to warrent them.

I do understand them on the black market a bit more. The timely aspact with the three cards that are put there is kind of real (one of these, now or never)… if youw would play multiple of them in 1 turn. Often it would be the last card. It isn’t an engine card like yours. And if you dont buy with your card, the option will still around the next time you play the card.

The Alchemist

• Golem
  • Respect: +214
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2021, 12:43:17 pm »
+5

Inspired by Inventor & Lab, I bring you Prototype & Testing Room!

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2021, 02:47:35 pm »
+1

Carnival
$7* - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1
+2 Buys
-
This costs $1 less per differently named
Treasure in play.
Heirloom: Beer
Beer
$2 - Treasure - Heirloom
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 06:10:12 pm by grep »

AJL828

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJL828
  • Respect: +394
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2021, 05:41:27 pm »

Carnival
$7* - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1
+2 Buys
-
This costs $1 less per differently named
Treasure in play.
Heirloom: Beer
Beer
$2 - Treasure - Heirloom

Your Treasure is Action coloured :P
Also +Buy is usually put before +$ for the order of the bonuses
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

Aquila

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2021, 04:57:42 am »
+2

Extract - Event, P cost.

I like the idea, but I'm not sure how needing to have a Potion in your deck makes this any less shuffle dependent. You would get pretty much the same gameplay (barring interaction with other Potion costs) from this if it was a Treasure that reads "Once per turn: Gain a card costing up to $1 per differently named Treasure you have in play." At that point, it is a pretty straightforward Horn of Plenty variant.
Not that I've played with HoP, but the comparison is a bit uninteresting isn't it? Thanks for this, I'll change my entry:

Record - Event, $3 cost.
+1 Buy
At Clean-up, put up to 2 cards costing from $2 to $4 onto your deck when you discard them from play.
Heirloom: Quill Pen
Default $3 cost Heirloom is fine here.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile

lompeluiten

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2021, 06:24:53 am »

True that. In Dominion you gotta constantly remember how many Actions, Buys and Coins you have. Throne Room variants lead to an actual tracking mess because they influence all 3 variables.

Souk does not unless you wanna argue that subtracting is significantly more difficult than adding.
So you add something you have to track that you dont used to have to track… but what for?
You always gotta count your Coins. With Throne Rooms or cards that conditionally provide Coins or cost reduction it becomes more complicated that simply counting all the Coin symbols on all cards.
So your notion that this card somehow leads to a huge tracking mess that is totally unheard of is plain false.
The argument is that you have to do more tracking, while it does not provide satisfying gameplay. Unnecessary complexity where +buy will do just fine.

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2021, 09:20:59 am »
+2

You always gotta count your Coins. With Throne Rooms or cards that conditionally provide Coins or cost reduction it becomes more complicated that simply counting all the Coin symbols on all cards.
So your notion that this card somehow leads to a huge tracking mess that is totally unheard of is plain false.
The argument is that you have to do more tracking, while it does not provide satisfying gameplay. Unnecessary complexity where +buy will do just fine.

I'm not sure about the satisfying gameplay part since it hasn't been playtested, but I think the option for gain-and-play (which the drawing ability of the card also enables) doesn't make this unnecessarily complex.  Playing a Souk when you've drawn your deck will let you buy a card before your Buy phase and play it, which seems pretty worthwhile to me.  It's hardly a niche benefit since this is something you can do in any reasonably strong Kingdom.  There are of course inherent trade-offs (and in my view, necessary ones to keep this from being overpowered), and you may not take advantage of the extra buy each time you play a Souk (just as you aren't necessarily using the discard-for-benefit ability of Artificer each time you play it).   

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2021, 12:00:35 pm »
+2

I totally disagree. Mid-turn gaining is, at least to me, what makes a card that would otherwise be fairly bland interesting.
It is in this respect similar to to Artificer vs. Market. The latter is simple whereas the former is more of a high-skill card.

yeah in a lot of ways, the highlight of Souk is giving access to "when buy" effects like Spices' coffers mid-turn, so you can use them during the buy phase proper. There's not a ton of these interactions, since there's not a ton of when-buy triggers that'd care about this, but there is novelty with that and it interacts well with its heirloom.

lompeluiten

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2021, 02:01:05 pm »

I totally disagree. Mid-turn gaining is, at least to me, what makes a card that would otherwise be fairly bland interesting.
It is in this respect similar to to Artificer vs. Market. The latter is simple whereas the former is more of a high-skill card.

yeah in a lot of ways, the highlight of Souk is giving access to "when buy" effects like Spices' coffers mid-turn, so you can use them during the buy phase proper. There's not a ton of these interactions, since there's not a ton of when-buy triggers that'd care about this, but there is novelty with that and it interacts well with its heirloom.
That is what i said with “too niche”: there are to few cards that make this out of secuence buy fase worth while. That is what this card effectively does: make an extra buy fase with 1 card and return to your action fase. (And then maybe draw some cards). There is little strenght in that effect, other then the +buy in most kingdoms.

(And plus 1 buy supports the heirloom even an pinch better)

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2021, 07:52:50 pm »
+1

Submissions closed!

Results will be posted shortly.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 21 queries.