Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #126: Seeking an Heir  (Read 8458 times)

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
Weekly Design Contest #126: Seeking an Heir
« on: August 23, 2021, 11:02:33 am »
+7

Contest #126: Seeking an Heir

Design a card that uses the following Heirloom:

As in the last contest I hosted, please do not submit any cards you've previously posted on the forums. Also as before, my judging criteria will focus on balance, playability, fun, and creativity.

A couple of important notes: You'll notice that the Heirloom does not have a name; this is to avoid narrowing the namespace for submissions. Please give the Heirloom a name along with your submission. Lastly, feel free to give the Heirloom a different cost than the cost I chose; it's probably not super important for balance (depending on your submission, of course), but I'll assume it costs for all entries unless otherwise specified.

Without any further ado, good luck and have fun designing!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 01:08:00 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
Re: Weekly Design Contest #126: Seeking an Heir
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2021, 12:52:35 pm »
+3

Pretty quick entry this time, but I am feeling inspired, soooo... here we go!

Spectacle, played after Fireworks, allows you to pull some neat tricks. For instance... Workshopping more Spectacles! Or if you've drawn deck, then you can "gain and play" the card(s) you bought this turn.

Spectacle might be too strong, idk. I briefly considered giving it a cost. Anyway, lemme know if it's too powerful or something.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 12:58:37 pm by X-tra »
Bottom text

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2021, 01:05:57 pm »
+2

Spectacle, played after Fireworks, allows you to pull some neat tricks. For instance... Workshopping more Spectacles! Or if you've drawn deck, then you can "gain and play" the card(s) you bought this turn.

Spectacle might be too strong, idk. I briefly considered giving it a cost. Anyway, lemme know if it's too powerful or something.

Fireworks doesn't need the big . See current HoP:
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2021, 01:13:19 pm »

Yeah, the big is mostly a lil' thing I like to do. I know non- yielding Treasures don't need it, but idk. I enjoy seeing that big fat on Treasure cards. A quick reminder that you're not getting straight from it. It's mostly a personal thing, I'll admit.
Bottom text

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2021, 03:17:16 pm »
+2

Yeah, the big is mostly a lil' thing I like to do. I know non- yielding Treasures don't need it, but idk. I enjoy seeing that big fat on Treasure cards. A quick reminder that you're not getting straight from it. It's mostly a personal thing, I'll admit.

Fair enough; it matters a lot less for this Treasure since it isn't a wall of text like HoP is.

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2021, 07:10:06 pm »
+8

Port Clerk - $5
Action
+1 Buy
This turn, when you play a Treasure you didn't have a copy of in play, +$1.

Quill - $3
Treasure - Heirloom
Cards cost $1 less this turn.

Port Clerk is a terminal super Merchant. The money from a Port Clerk can scale pretty quickly with additional Treasures in the Kingdom and with things like Counterfeit, so I think the $5 cost is warranted. Not sure if the sentence structure for Port Clerk is correct. Feedback is appreciated.

Edit: Updated text for Port Clerk.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 09:18:09 pm by Xen3k »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2021, 09:11:29 pm »
+1

Port Clerk - $5
Action
+1 Buy
When you play a Treasure card this turn that you don't have a copy of in play, +$1.

Quill - $3
Treasure - Heirloom

Port Clerk is a terminal super Merchant. The money from a Port Clerk can scale pretty quickly with additional Treasures in the Kingdom and with things like Counterfeit, so I think the $5 cost is warranted. Not sure if the sentence structure for Port Clerk is correct. Feedback is appreciated.

I think it would read more cleanly if "this turn" came first, like so:
This turn, when you play a Treasure you didn't have a copy of in play, +.

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2021, 09:15:45 pm »

I think it would read more cleanly if "this turn" came first, like so:
This turn, when you play a Treasure you didn't have a copy of in play, +.

That is much better! Thanks!

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2021, 10:46:57 pm »
+1

Is the "if it's your turn" really needed?  There are ways to play Action cards on another person's turn, but I can't think of any ways you can play a Night card
They/them

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2021, 11:11:45 pm »
+8

Here's my entry for this week. Road is a cheap cantrip that along with your other Roads allows you to gain a single card per turn with a variable cost based on how many Roads you got into play that turn. With just one in play, you can usually only gain a Copper, but if you collide it with your Shortcut, you can gain another Road. Later, you can chain together more to gain an engine piece or even a Province if you have a long enough Road. The Shortcut essentially stands in as another Road, along with some of the usual cost reduction shenanigans.

*Edit: changed "When you discard this from play" to "At the end of your Buy phase"
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 09:31:42 am by 4est »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2021, 01:27:35 am »

Here's my entry for this week. Road is a cheap cantrip that along with your other Roads allows you to gain a single card per turn with a variable cost based on how many Roads you got into play that turn (I think the "Once per turn" language correctly achieves this effect, but let me know if it doesn't). With just one in play, you can usually only gain a Copper, but if you collide it with your Shortcut, you can gain another Road. Later, you can chain together more to gain an engine piece or even a Province if you have a long enough Road. The Shortcut essentially stands in as another Road, along with some of the usual cost reduction shenanigans.

You only discard "this" once per turn anyway, so I don't think this wording quite works. I'd suggest this wording:
+1 Card
+1 Action

Once per turn, when you discard a Road from play...

Also, important question: Is it intentional that playing 3 roads gains you a (because it triggers after the discard)?

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2021, 01:52:35 am »

I'm just thinking about the design space for this contest, to get my own creative juices flowing and hopefully this inspires other people as well.

Obviously the card has to interact with the heirloom to be interesting so it has to both:
(1) do something that cares about cost
(2) do that after a treasure is played.

All current submissions do this.
Spectacle gives a buy(1), and is a night (2) that can bring you back to Action/Buy phase.
Port Clerk gives a buy(1) which comes into affect for the (2) buy phase. Port Clerk also cares about unique treasures
Road gains a card per cost (1) which comes into affect during cleanup (2 -- happens after treasures are played)

ideas for option 1:
Gain a card costing up to X, +Buy, Trash for benefit*, Remodel/Upgrade*, Discard for Benefit*, Attack: other players Trash/Discard a card costing at least X  (to be sensible probably have a max as well), do something if the cost of a revealed card is exactly X.
* These all can get worse with cost-reduction, of course.

ideas for option 2:
Make it a Treasure Card, make it a Night Card, make it a Reserve Card that can be called later, make it an Action that has a trigger later (like Road's on-discard-from-play), make it an Action card that gives out a State that does something at end of Buy Phase, make it a card with the ability to play Treasure cards not during the Buy Phase

« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 11:24:59 am by anordinaryman »

anordinaryman

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2021, 01:54:25 am »
+2

Here's my entry for this week. Road is a cheap cantrip that along with your other Roads allows you to gain a single card per turn with a variable cost based on how many Roads you got into play that turn (I think the "Once per turn" language correctly achieves this effect, but let me know if it doesn't). With just one in play, you can usually only gain a Copper, but if you collide it with your Shortcut, you can gain another Road. Later, you can chain together more to gain an engine piece or even a Province if you have a long enough Road. The Shortcut essentially stands in as another Road, along with some of the usual cost reduction shenanigans.

You only discard "this" once per turn anyway, so I don't think this wording quite works. I'd suggest this wording:
+1 Card
+1 Action

Once per turn, when you discard a Road from play...

Also, important question: Is it intentional that playing 3 roads gains you a (because it triggers after the discard)?

You can use the wording "once per turn: at the end of your Buy Phase" to solve this.
End of Buy Phase happens before start of clean up, so 3 roads are still in play and you'd gain a card costing up to $3 (or $4 with a shortcut in play)

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2021, 03:06:36 am »
+2

Bridgestone
cost $3 - Action
+1 Action
+$1
+2 Buys
Heirloom: Stone

Stone
cost $3 - Treasure
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 03:09:34 am by majiponi »

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2021, 04:34:06 am »
+1

Night Drive - $5
Night

Trash a card you have in play.
Gain a Horse per $1 it costs.
Heirloom: Carriage
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

lompeluiten

• Bishop
  • Respect: +79
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2021, 07:39:24 am »
+1

Night Drive - $5
Night

That is anti synergy?

lompeluiten

• Bishop
  • Respect: +79
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2021, 07:48:28 am »

Royal Signet $4
Treasure
+1 buy
You may play an treasure card from your hand twice.
Heirloom: Weighted Coin

Weighted Coin $2
Treasure
Cards cost 1 less this turn

Applications:
- An opening to get your strategy going. (silver + royal signet you can get something going)
- An source of +buys, if you need one.
- Big money
- Engine deck where you copy the most valuable treasure every time. If you combine 2 of them with an platinum and weighted coin it with the weighted coin you can make an sudden pile drive when needed.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 07:58:32 am by lompeluiten »

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2021, 07:59:26 am »
+3

Night Drive - $5
Night

That is anti synergy?
Indeed; this is intentional. Pooka and Cursed Gold also anti-synergize.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2021, 08:48:50 am »
+2

Is the "if it's your turn" really needed?  There are ways to play Action cards on another person's turn, but I can't think of any ways you can play a Night card

Future proofing, mostly. :)

I almost posted a version without that condition, but I think it's still quite elegant with it anyway. We never can be too sure with Donald X!
Bottom text

mathdude

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2021, 09:36:55 am »

Lightning Rod
cost $4 - Action-Attack-Reaction
+1 Card
+1 Buy
Choose one: +1 Coffers; or +$1 and each other player takes their -$1 token.
-
When any player plays a Lightning, you may play this from your hand.
Heirloom: Lightning

Lightning
cost $3 - Treasure-Heirloom

Not sure if being able to react ti your own Lightning makes this too strong. If so, should I raise cost to $5? Or just let it react to other people's play of Lightning?
he/him

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2021, 10:07:46 am »
+2

Labor Union • $5 • Action • Heirloom: Leverage
+1 Buy
+$1
-
While this is in play, when you buy a card, if its cost in coins is even, +1 Coffers, or if its cost in coins is odd, +1 Villager.
Leverage • $3 • Treasure - Heirloom

Merchant's Guild variant.
I had trouble coming up with a card for this - $1 of reduction isn't that much, so beaucoup buys wasn't on the table, and it still takes up space in your deck unlike Canal. Then I realized you could do some fun stuff that cares about even/odd prices, vary the effect that way. Should help it get to the table more than drawing Merchant Guilds dead, anyway.

I was going to do a night-remodel, but the result was underwhelming. Yeah you could turn a copper/curse into a silver, but like, the supply cards scaled the same as the card you were trashing, so a difference of $2 was static / the presence of the heirloom didn't change anything.

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2021, 11:49:28 am »
+1

My Submission:

Quote from: Chop Shop
CHOP SHOP

[Card art is a black and white drawing of some sort of workshop, with numerous men in pre-modern clothing doing various tasks--writing, reading, tinkering with items--at work tables or seated on benches or standing. Bright light emanates from some of the items worked on. Various other items are strewn about on the floor or on a shelf above.]

Trash a card from your hand or one you have in play. Gain a card costing up to $2 more than it. If the trashed card is an...
Action card, +1 Villager
Treasure card, +1 Coffers
Victory card, +1VP

Heirloom: Burglary Tools

$3
                                                        NIGHT                                                       

Here is my version of the Heirloom:

Another remodeler, as a Night card it has the benefit of being non-terminal and of being able to trash cards in play (as well as in your hand). Plus, the boys in the Chop Shop can salvage a little extra from what they took apart, in the form of tokens (it has always struck me as a shame that Night cards were in a set without Coffers, Villagers, or VP tokens, as there is an obvious design synergy there). If you can collide it with its heirloom (which I named Burglary Tools to fit the theme), you can trash your in-play Coppers into Silvers (or $3 Actions). There can be some strategic tension when that happens, if you also have an Estate in your hand. The estate is worse junk, but the next time you get Chop Shop you may not have Burglary Tools (and may be out of Estates), and unable to remodel your Copper into something useful.

I do wonder if this is maybe too strong. Should I push it up to $6? It seems extremely weak compared to Altar. But is it substantially stronger than Replace?
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

AJL828

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJL828
  • Respect: +394
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2021, 12:20:32 pm »
+5

This is the first Heirloom Kingdom card I've ever made, hope you like it!

Jeweller
Action ($4)

+1 Card
+1 Action
Play up to 3 Treasures from your hand. You may gain a card costing up to $1 per differently named Treasure you have in play.

It can be a cantrip Workshop (or sometimes even a little more) but it takes some work to get there. The Heirloom provides a nice synergy both in the cost reduction and in providing another differently named Treasure. It even works nicely with DtX. I thought about doing the HOP self trashing for Victory cards, but I don't think its necessary since you'd need at least 2 of these out already to gain Provinces (and also enough Treasures on the board to do so :P)
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

anordinaryman

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2021, 06:18:05 pm »
+5

Submission

Woodsman | Action - Reserve | $4
+1 Buy
Put this on your Tavern mat.
-
After you play a card, you may call this to choose +2 Cards; or gain a card that costs up to $4
Heirloom: Lumber

Woodsman can be called immediately for a more expensive workshop that gives +1 buy. Or you can treat it like a +2 cards +1 buy which would be weak silk Merchant. If only you could line this card up for when you need it, so you can gain $5s with it. Well, you can! The power is you can choose to delay calling the card. You can choose to keep it on the Tavern mat to save a later turn, like a coin of the realm for cards. Or, you can wait until you play a Lumber, and now you can gain a card costing up to $5.

This card can be called in your Action, Buy, or Night phases. And this card can be called when it's not your turn. Thanks to Menagerie, there's a ton of cards that can be played out of your turn, like Black Cat. Good thing that both the actions you can take when you call it are easily trackable even if it's not your turn.

The card has to cost at least $4 because it is strictly better than workshop.

As always, open to feedback.

Edited to incorporate Gubump's feedback below moving from before -> after

« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 03:02:39 pm by anordinaryman »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2021, 07:06:06 pm »
+1

Submission

Woodsman | Action - Reserve | $4
+1 Buy
Put this on your Tavern mat.
-
When you play a card, you may call this to choose +2 Cards; or gain a card that costs up to $4
Heirloom: Lumber

Lumber Jack can be called immediately after your next card for a more expensive workshop that gives +1 buy. Or you can treat it like a +2 cards +1 buy which would be weak silk Merchant. If only you could line this card up for when you need it, so you can gain $5s with it. Well, you can! The power is you can choose to delay calling the card. You can choose to keep it on the Tavern mat to save a later turn, like a coin of the realm for cards. Or, you can wait until you play a Lumber, and now you can gain a card costing up to $5.

This card can be called in your Action, Buy, or Night phases. And this card can be called when it's not your turn. Thanks to Menagerie, there's a ton of cards that can be played out of your turn, like Black Cat. Good thing that both the actions you can take when you call it are easily trackable even if it's not your turn.

The card has to cost at least $4 because it is almost strictly better than workshop (except for a turn where that is the last action card you have to play and you have no treasures).

As always, open to feedback.

Woodsman should either say "you may first call this..." or "whenafter you play a card..." to make it clearer whether it triggers before or after resolving the played card. The latter allows you to call it immediately, so if that isn't intended (I assume it's not based on your commentary), then you would also have to say "after you play a card other than this..." I assume it's intended to be before resolving, though.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 07:10:36 pm by Gubump »
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 21 queries.