Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: No Boons  (Read 1211 times)

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
No Boons
« on: August 20, 2021, 01:03:04 am »
+1

I suppose, in the unlikely event that the Boons deck and discard pile are both totally empty when you're supposed to receive a Boon, nothing happens?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: No Boons
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2021, 01:15:56 am »
+2

Seems no different than when your draw pile and discard pile are empty and you play a Smithy. Covered under the general “do as much as you can” rule.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

mathdude

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2021, 07:47:56 am »
+3

I suppose, in the unlikely event that the Boons deck and discard pile are both totally empty when you're supposed to receive a Boon, nothing happens?

When I first read this, I was trying to figure out how this could actually happen. 3 get set aside in setup for Druid. 3 of them (The Field's Gift, The Forest's Gift, and The River's Gift) go in front of a player until that turn's Clean-up, so if you either have a great engine going with lots of villages, or play a bunch of Pixies (the only Fate card, other than Idol that's non-terminal), you could get those 3 also set aside. But then there's still 6 more. But the rest, when you receive them, go immediately into the Boon discard pile, so even playing the Fool, receiving 3, doesn't empty the pile.

Then I looked through the set and found what I believe is the only other way to get Boons set aside - gaining Blessed Village (and choosing to receive them at the start of your next turn). Ok, so that will need a ton of money and a bunch of buys to trigger all those Boons, since you're now in your Buy phase and can't rely on playing Fool.

Then it dawned on me... Ironworks! Play a bunch of those, gaining Blessed Village each time. Then you're still in your Action phase to play Fool. All in all, fairly accessible now.
he/him

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2021, 10:01:02 am »
+1

When I first read this, I was trying to figure out how this could actually happen. 3 get set aside in setup for Druid. 3 of them (The Field's Gift, The Forest's Gift, and The River's Gift) go in front of a player until that turn's Clean-up, so if you either have a great engine going with lots of villages, or play a bunch of Pixies (the only Fate card, other than Idol that's non-terminal), you could get those 3 also set aside. But then there's still 6 more. But the rest, when you receive them, go immediately into the Boon discard pile, so even playing the Fool, receiving 3, doesn't empty the pile.

Then I looked through the set and found what I believe is the only other way to get Boons set aside - gaining Blessed Village (and choosing to receive them at the start of your next turn). Ok, so that will need a ton of money and a bunch of buys to trigger all those Boons, since you're now in your Buy phase and can't rely on playing Fool.

Then it dawned on me... Ironworks! Play a bunch of those, gaining Blessed Village each time. Then you're still in your Action phase to play Fool. All in all, fairly accessible now.

You could also trigger this if you have Way of the Mouse with Fool and Werewolf in the Kingdom.  You could buy a bunch of Blessed Villages, then in your Night phase play Werewolf as Fool.

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2021, 10:12:24 pm »
+1

You could also trigger this if you have Way of the Mouse with Fool and Werewolf in the Kingdom.  You could buy a bunch of Blessed Villages, then in your Night phase play Werewolf as Fool.

Or your opponent(s) could've bought/gained a bunch of Blessed Villages choosing to receive them on their next turn
They/them
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 20 queries.