Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #125: What's the Draw?  (Read 11187 times)

DunnoItAll

• Thief
  • Respect: +127
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #125: What's the Draw?
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2021, 11:17:26 am »
+2

A split pile with 5 Interests on top of 5 Savings.

For clarity's sake, only the top card of the pile is considered in the supply, so, if you play an Interest while the top card of the pile is another Interest, you cannot Exile a Savings.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 10:22:46 am by DunnoItAll »

AJL828

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJL828
  • Respect: +394
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2021, 01:22:04 pm »
+1

A split pile with 5 Interests on top of 5 Savings.

For clarity's sake, only the top card of the pile is considered in the supply, so, if you play an Interest while the top card of the pile is another Interest, you cannot Exile a Savings.
Savings pricing doesn’t quite make sense to me. Is it supposed to be “costs $1 less per Interest you have in play?” Right now with no Interest in play it costs $0, which makes the written price of $6 never actually applied.
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2021, 01:26:15 pm »

Finally a home for this card that pairs with Cartographer!

Spiral Staircase
Reveal the top card of your deck. Then continue to reveal cards from your deck until you reveal one that does not cost more than the previously revealed card. Put the revealed cards into your hand.
$4 Action

It would also combo nicely with Harbinger.  Potentially an even stronger combo in fact.  Use Harbinger to put a Copper on top of your deck, and you could potentially get enormous draw. And if you have strong trashing, it might even be worthwhile to keep exactly one Copper for this very purpose - if you have exactly one Copper and that's the top card of your deck, this becomes an instant "draw your entire deck"!
They/them

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2021, 05:54:58 pm »
+1

Spiral Staircase
Reveal the top card of your deck. Then continue to reveal cards from your deck until you reveal one that does not cost more than the previously revealed card. Put the revealed cards into your hand.
$4 Action

It would also combo nicely with Harbinger.  Potentially an even stronger combo in fact.  Use Harbinger to put a Copper on top of your deck, and you could potentially get enormous draw. And if you have strong trashing, it might even be worthwhile to keep exactly one Copper for this very purpose - if you have exactly one Copper and that's the top card of your deck, this becomes an instant "draw your entire deck"!

Maybe I’m misinterpreting the text, but top-decking Copper would only guarantee drawing one more card in addition to the Copper, right?

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2021, 06:11:24 pm »
+1

Dike
$4 - Action - Gathering
+1 Card per 2% on the Dike Supply pile, rounded up.
You may trash a card from your hand. If you don't, trash this.
-
When you gain this, put 1% onto the Dike Supply pile.
When you trash this, take 1% from the Dike Supply pile.

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2021, 07:28:36 pm »

Spiral Staircase
$4 Action

Maybe I’m misinterpreting the text, but top-decking Copper would only guarantee drawing one more card in addition to the Copper, right?

"Until revealing one that does not cost more". So, if the revealed card costs $X, then you keep drawing until you reveal a card that costs ≤$X. If you reveal a Copper, then that means you keep drawing until revealing another $0 card
« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 07:35:11 pm by mxdata »
They/them

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2021, 09:07:00 pm »

Spiral Staircase
$4 Action

"Until revealing one that does not cost more". So, if the revealed card costs $X, then you keep drawing until you reveal a card that costs ≤$X. If you reveal a Copper, then that means you keep drawing until revealing another $0 card

Timinou has it right. Each card is compared to the previous revealed card, not the first revealed card.

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2021, 09:19:40 pm »

Spiral Staircase
$4 Action

Timinou has it right. Each card is compared to the previous revealed card, not the first revealed card.

Oh! Okay, I misunderstood the intention behind "previously". Then in that case, Harbinger is not a good combo
They/them

alion8me

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: alion8me
  • Respect: +178
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2021, 12:51:25 am »
+1

Farmer

+1 Card per differently named card you have in play (including this).

Action
$4

Illusionist
Action ($4)

Reveal your hand. +1 Card per different card type (Action, Attack, Treasure, etc.) revealed.

I originally designed this at $5 but after some playtesting on TTS my peers said it would be better at $4, so I'm gonna try it at that. I think it'll be better than Smithy overall, but it still has it's weaknesses (discard attacks for example) that make it acceptable at the same price.

I submitted a card with the same effect and cost a year ago to a different weekly contest here: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=18987.msg854508#msg854508.

AJL828

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJL828
  • Respect: +394
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2021, 01:40:28 am »

Farmer

+1 Card per differently named card you have in play (including this).

Action
$4

Illusionist
Action ($4)

Reveal your hand. +1 Card per different card type (Action, Attack, Treasure, etc.) revealed.

I originally designed this at $5 but after some playtesting on TTS my peers said it would be better at $4, so I'm gonna try it at that. I think it'll be better than Smithy overall, but it still has it's weaknesses (discard attacks for example) that make it acceptable at the same price.

I submitted a card with the same effect and cost a year ago to a different weekly contest here: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=18987.msg854508#msg854508.

Oh geez, is there some sort of etiquette for when this happens? I swear I thought of the idea independently lol, but I don’t wanna seem like I’m stealing
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2021, 10:05:04 am »

Does a card like this qualify? The amount drawn is dependent on the handsize of an opponent, but it is technically sifting not drawing.

(A version under consideration has +2 Actions instead of just one, making it also a village)

Yes, this qualifies.  Just to confirm: if you play Serf and another player draws a card but their handsize is smaller than yours, you wouldn’t need to discard cards, right?  It would just mean you wouldn’t draw a card?

DunnoItAll

• Thief
  • Respect: +127
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2021, 10:21:06 am »
+1

Savings pricing doesn’t quite make sense to me. Is it supposed to be “costs $1 less per Interest you have in play?” Right now with no Interest in play it costs $0, which makes the written price of $6 never actually applied.

Ack, yes.  Less.  Thank you for that.  I fixed it in my original post.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 10:23:22 am by DunnoItAll »

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2021, 10:22:29 am »
+2

Knave • $3 • Action
Choose one:
+1 Action and +1 Coffers; or spend any number of Coffers for +2 Cards each.

You may advance to your Clean Up phase (skip your Buy Phase) for +1 Coffers.

FAQ: it also skips the night phase. Your buy phase does not occur, so any "at the start/end of your Buy phase" effects do not happen. If you have additional stuff to do (ie, you play this via procession, or with a throned command card like captain), that still all happens, just in your cleanup phase, so plan accordingly.

i did consider a hermit-like version where it fires if you didn't buy cards but i didn't want more than one of these to proc per turn.

card name/theme is from the end of the rhyme about the butcher/baker/candlestick maker.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 06:03:50 pm by spineflu »

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2021, 10:13:17 pm »

Wrangler
Action
$3
+1 Action
Trash a card from your hand. Gain 1 Horse per $1 it costs.

Discovery
Night - Duration
$6
Set aside a card from your deck face down (on this) per card you've gained this turn. At the start of your next turn, put those cards into your hand.

A split pile. The top card acts as a sort of delayed Research, in the sense that gaining a Horse is equivalent to a delayed +1 Card. But more importantly, it helps set up the bottom card. The bottom card allows you to set aside cards, similar to Research, except that it does not require you to trash cards, but depends on how many cards you gained that turn. Wrangler ensures that any game with Discovery will have some way of gaining multiple cards in a single turn. Without Wrangler, it could end up in a kingdom with no +buy and no gainers, making it at best a half-Den of Sin. In a deck-drawing engine, Discovery would set aside the cards you bought
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 10:15:39 pm by mxdata »
They/them

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2021, 06:07:12 am »
+5

Spiral Staircase
$4 Action

Interesting concept. :) In the absence of top-decking/deck-ordering cards, this is somewhat weaker than Smithy on average: The probability of a random card costing more than the previous (random) one is less than 50%, so it draws less than 2+1/2+1/4+1/8+...=3 cards on average.

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2021, 08:54:19 pm »

Agency
cost $2 - Action
Discard any number of cards, then draw that many.
Then discard any number of cards for +1 Action and +1 Buy each.

Is it acceptable?

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2021, 01:08:27 am »
+1

Professor
$4 - Action

+1 Action

Reveal a card from your hand. +1 Card for each type it has.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2021, 03:33:06 am »

Agency
cost $2 - Action

Is it acceptable?

I wouldn't think so - there's no net draw. After you're finished resolving it, you have, at most, one fewer card than you started with

It's an interesting idea, but it seems a bit strong for its cost. It sifts and gives you extra Actions and Buys. It's sort of like a combination of Storeroom (but without the +$) and Hamlet - but it can give you a lot more +Actions and +Buy than Hamlet can, especially if you started out with a large hand
They/them

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +459
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2021, 04:32:18 am »

A library that can technically draww your entire deck, but it gets harder and harder to do so if you already have a big hand

I were aiming for a cornucopia themed Library that rewards a diverse deck

Edit1
« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 02:01:02 pm by spineflu »
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2021, 08:05:21 am »
+3

Agency
cost $2 - Action

Is it acceptable?

I wouldn't think so - there's no net draw. After you're finished resolving it, you have, at most, one fewer card than you started with

It's an interesting idea, but it seems a bit strong for its cost. It sifts and gives you extra Actions and Buys. It's sort of like a combination of Storeroom (but without the +$) and Hamlet - but it can give you a lot more +Actions and +Buy than Hamlet can, especially if you started out with a large hand

net draw isn't the contest - Cellar qualifies.

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2021, 09:41:20 am »
+3

A library that can technically draw your entire deck, but it gets harder and harder to do so if you already have a big hand

This card automatically draws your entire deck if you play it as the last card in hand. On boards with +Action where you can reliably get this to be the only or nearly the only card in your hand, it's clearly too strong. 

The Alchemist

• Golem
  • Respect: +214
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2021, 11:32:15 am »

Does a card like this qualify? The amount drawn is dependent on the handsize of an opponent, but it is technically sifting not drawing.

(A version under consideration has +2 Actions instead of just one, making it also a village)

Yes, this qualifies.  Just to confirm: if you play Serf and another player draws a card but their handsize is smaller than yours, you wouldn’t need to discard cards, right?  It would just mean you wouldn’t draw a card?

Yes, that is correct. It says "Draw until", same wording as DtX. When you play DtX when you have more than X cards in your hand, you just do nothing. Likewise, if the opponent's hand size is smaller, you just don't draw, and you don't need to discard (just like library doesn't make you discard down to 7).

spheremonk

• Bishop
  • Respect: +206
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2021, 01:48:34 pm »
+2

GO BIG OR GO HOME!

Split pile (five 'n five):

« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 11:21:17 pm by spheremonk »

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2021, 09:14:17 am »
+1

24 Hour Warning

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2021, 11:04:28 am »

Notice that I updated my entry.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 21 queries.