Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #125: What's the Draw?  (Read 11186 times)

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
Weekly Design Contest #125: What's the Draw?
« on: August 13, 2021, 12:17:33 pm »
+8

WDC #125: What's the Draw?

Rules:
  • Design a card-shaped thing that draws a variable number of cards that is not a draw-to-X (where X is is fixed rather than variable) card
  • For the purposes of this week's contest, binary will not be considered to be "variable".  What I mean by that is that cards like Shanty Town (that draws either 0 or 2 cards), Menagerie (that draws 1 or 3 cards), or Conspirator (that draws either 0 or 1 card) would not qualify.
  • As mentioned above, draw-to-X cards like Library, Watchtower, and Cursed Village would not qualify because they draw up to a predetermined number of cards.  The exception would be a draw-to-X card like faust's Geographer, where the "X" is variable.
  • Your submission can be a non-supply card (in which case you should also submit a supply card or WELP which works with the non-supply card)
  • If your submission is a split pile, only one of the cards needs to meet the contest criteria
  • Your submission can be a WELP*
  • Please do not submit any Traveller lines or mixed piles
  • Official cards that would qualify include Crossroads, City Quarter, Madman, Shepherd, Storyteller, Seer, Scrying Pool, Apprentice, and Tribute
  • Cards that let you draw a variable number of cards for a future turn will also be permitted.  So Research, for example, would qualify.
The deadline will be Friday, August 20th at 11:59PM ETSaturday, August 21st at 9AM ET.  I will judge over the weekend and aim to post results on Sunday, August 22nd.  It is possible that I will only post the winner and runners-up so that the next contest can start and will provide detailed feedback on the remaining entries later in the week.

*I'm not really sure how you would design a Landmark that fits, but I'm prepared to be surprised

ENTRIES:
Gubump's Arcade
JW's Impoverished Village
AJL828's Illusionist
mandioca15's Innkeeper
Xtra's Commander
NoMoreFun's Farm Cellar
Aquila's Repository
emtzalex's Rework
Xen3k's Flower Garden
The Alchemist's Serfs
4est's Trophy Room/Trophy
faust's Diviner
xyz123's Collector
stecafle's Spiral Staircase
DunnoItAll's Interest/Savings
grep's Dike
alion8me's Farmer
spineflu's Knave
mxdata's Wrangler/Discovery
majiponi's Agency
Chris is me's Professor
fika monster's Mobile Library
spheremonk's Lucre/Burglar
lompeluiten's Gold Prospector
Gardoomalion's Clock Tower
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 08:15:04 am by Timinou »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #125: What's the Draw?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2021, 12:27:27 pm »
+1

WDC #125: What's the Draw?

Rules:
  • Design a card-shaped thing that draws a variable number of cards that is not a draw-to-X card
  • For the purposes of this week's contest, binary will not be considered to be "variable".  What I mean by that is that cards like Shanty Town (that draws either 0 or 2 cards), Menagerie (that draws 0 or 3 cards), or Conspirator (that draws either 0 or 1 card) would not qualify.
  • As mentioned above, draw-to-X cards like Library, Watchtower, and Cursed Village would not qualify
  • Your submission can be a non-supply card (in which case you should also submit a supply card or WELP which works with the non-supply card)
  • If your submission is a split pile, only one of the cards needs to meet the contest criteria
  • Your submission can be a WELP*
  • Please do not submit any Traveller lines or mixed piles
  • Official cards that would qualify include Crossroads, City Quarter, and Madman
The deadline will be Friday, August 20th at 11:59PM ET.  I will judge over the weekend and aim to post results on Sunday, August 22nd.  It is possible that I will only post the winner and runners-up so that the next contest can start and will provide detailed feedback on the remaining entries later in the week.

*I'm not really sure how you would design a Landmark that fits, but I'm prepared to be surprised

1. Menagerie draws 1 or 3 cards, not 0 or 3.
2. I assume cards like faust's Geographer from the DtX contest that are DtX but have X as a variable number don't qualify either?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 12:30:32 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2021, 12:28:02 pm »
+1

what about the red sifters / basements, like cellar and storeroom? or uh storyteller? apprentice?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 01:16:49 pm by spineflu »

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2021, 12:49:20 pm »
+1

Would you count Shepherd in this? I presume you would, since it draws a variable number of cards. What about Cellar, which also draws a variable number, but that never* changes it's impact on your hand size (which always is reduced by 1)?

Also, what, if any virtual drawing is included? Do you count Seer? What about Scrying Pool? What about Research?

* If your deck and discard pile were (almost) empty, and you discarded Village Green or Faithful Hound and triggered their reaction, you could technically end up reducing your handsize by more than one.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 12:50:40 pm by emtzalex »
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2021, 12:59:10 pm »
+4

Usually caps at Hunting Grounds (+Cards, +Actions, +Buys, +$), but occasionally can reach +7 Cards (+VP, +Coffers, +Villagers). Pretty hard to get it to reach the cap though.

Version History
v0.1: Initial version
v0.2: Dropped price to as suggested on Discord.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 01:53:23 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2021, 01:40:50 pm »
+2

1. Menagerie draws 1 or 3 cards, not 0 or 3.
  Thanks, fixed it in the OP.

2. I assume cards like faust's Geographer from the DtX contest that are DtX but have X as a variable number don't qualify either?
Oh, good point.  I forgot about faust's card, and it would actually be in the spirit of this week's contest so I've tweaked the rules to allow for such cards.

What about something like Tribute, i.e. a card whose draw variable can be 3 different values?

what about the red sifters / basements, like cellar and storeroom? or uh storyteller? apprentice?

Would you count Shepherd in this? I presume you would, since it draws a variable number of cards. What about Cellar, which also draws a variable number, but that never* changes it's impact on your hand size (which always is reduced by 1)?

Also, what, if any virtual drawing is included? Do you count Seer? What about Scrying Pool? What about Research?

Yes - Tribute, Cellar, Seer, Storeroom, Storyteller, Apprentice, Research, Shepherd, and Scrying Pool would qualify.  I knew I was forgetting to list a bunch of official cards!

« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 01:42:55 pm by Timinou »

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2021, 01:51:48 pm »
+1

Gubump, the card image has a cost of $3 so I'm not sure where the typo is.

EDIT: Also, based on your description of the card, I'm assuming that the intent is that "thing" wouldn't include cards, Artifacts, States, Boons, or Hexes, right?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 02:03:07 pm by Timinou »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2021, 01:53:48 pm »

Gubump, the card image has a cost of $3 so I'm not sure where the typo is.

Thanks, the image is correct. The typo's been fixed.

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2021, 01:57:20 pm »
+3

Impoverished Village 
Action
+3 Actions. If you have no , draw up to 3 cards and take twice that much .

Update: changed cost from to . It should work at $1 because you typically don't want many early, and, like Poor House, it fits the theme to cost $1.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 08:14:42 pm by JW »

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2021, 02:40:21 pm »
+7

Innkeeper (Action, $4)

+1 Action
Reveal the top card of your deck; you may discard it or put it back.
+1 Card per type it has.

AJL828

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJL828
  • Respect: +394
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2021, 03:34:26 pm »
+9

Illusionist
Action ($4)

Reveal your hand. +1 Card per different card type (Action, Attack, Treasure, etc.) revealed.

I originally designed this at $5 but after some playtesting on TTS my peers said it would be better at $4, so I'm gonna try it at that. I think it'll be better than Smithy overall, but it still has it's weaknesses (discard attacks for example) that make it acceptable at the same price.
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2021, 05:32:55 pm »
+9

Lol. Good Tunnel and Village Green enabler, I suppose (both of which plays really well with Commander).

From a hand of 5 cards, keeping a in hand is like playing a cellar that gives +. Weak. Anything above that starts to be worth it. Keeping a Gold in hand seems neat. And who knows, maybe you'll green earlier for that epic +8 Cards.

From a hand of 6+ cards, your handsize will probably either stays neutral, or decrease. But hey, good sifting, right?
Bottom text

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2021, 05:38:43 pm »
+1

Farm Cellar
Action - $5
+1 Action
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal an Action or Treasure.
Put all the revealed cards into your hand.
Discard any number of cards from your hand to draw that many.

So basically it's the draw of Farming Village, but you keep all the cards instead of discarding the ones you weren't looking for, and then a Cellar. The more Curses and Victory cards you have, the more it draws, though you're still more likely to end up with a bad card after the Cellaring in decks like that.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 05:40:29 pm by NoMoreFun »

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2021, 05:42:01 pm »
+2

I do have a mock-up of this, but only with an heirloom that I won't include here:
Repository - Action Reserve, $4 cost.
Put this on your Tavern mat; you may immediately call it.
-
At the start of your turn, you may call this. When you call this, discard any number of Treasures, revealed, for +2 Cards each.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2021, 06:43:54 pm »

Farm Cellar
Action - $5
+1 Action
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal an Action or Treasure.
Put all the revealed cards into your hand.
Discard any number of cards from your hand to draw that many.

So basically it's the draw of Farming Village, but you keep all the cards instead of discarding the ones you weren't looking for, and then a Cellar. The more Curses and Victory cards you have, the more it draws, though you're still more likely to end up with a bad card after the Cellaring in decks like that.

This is too strong. Cantrip Cellar is already a really strong or possibly even a decent ; Hunting Lodge is all or nothing and gets worse with a large handsize. Cantrip Cellar lets you pick and choose which cards you discard and gets stronger with a larger handsize. That makes up for being a Cantrip instead of a Village if you ask me. And this is significantly better than Cantrip Cellar.

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2021, 08:18:05 pm »

My Submission:

Quote from: Rework
REWORK

[Card art shows the frame of a ship under construction outdoors, with numerous workers on and around the ship; loose planks of wood are on the ground in the foreground.]

Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing up to $2 more than it, setting aside the gained card. At the start of your next turn, discard it, then +1 Card per $1 it costs.

$5

ACTION - DURATION

Am I the only one who wonders why there is no official remodeler that's a Duration? They are two mechanics that keep showing up in expansions, but they have yet to meet in a single (official) card. In any case, I think they go well together, and can work well for this.

On play it's a basic Remodel, trashing a card in your hand to gain worth up to $2 more. But the card gets held until the following turn. In exchange for the delay, the player is rewarded with a significant bonus, increasing the size of their next turn's hand. If the extra cards trigger a shuffle, it is possible to get the gained card that turn. Since the gained card is set aside, there is a minor synergy with on-discard Reactions, which are conveniently priced for Remodeling junk into them (at $2-$4).

I was a little unsure how to price this. On one hand, making it a Duration limits the frequency of use, and delaying gaining the card weakens the effect as well (unless you are gaining a Victory card). On the other hand, the +Card bonus is pretty strong. If you Rework an Estate into a $4 card (what I tend to think of as the baseline move), that's a bigger handsize increase than Barge (albeit without the +Buy). Even if you are Reworking Curses into $2 cards, that's still a pretty strong bonus (and if you can only gain an Estate, you don't mind it being delayed getting into your deck). Given all that, I think it's too strong at $4.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2021, 10:28:13 pm »
+1

Flower Garden - $3
Action
Choose a card you have in play. +1 Card per $1 it costs. If you draw 3 or fewer cards, +1 Action.
Put 2 cards from your hand onto your deck in any order.

A scaling Courtyard. You are able to pick the Flower Garden you just played, so at the very least it is a cantrip that sets up the next two cards of your deck. Feedback is appreciated.

The Alchemist

• Golem
  • Respect: +214
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2021, 10:33:15 pm »
+3

Does a card like this qualify? The amount drawn is dependent on the handsize of an opponent, but it is technically sifting not drawing.

(A version under consideration has +2 Actions instead of just one, making it also a village)

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2021, 01:11:49 am »
+1

Here's my entry this week, a split pile! Trophy Room is a cheap terminal draw card that gets stronger the more unique Treasures you show off. Obviously quite weak if you reveal just Coppers (or no Treasures womp womp), but Copper-Silver and it's a mini Silk Merchant, three different Treasures and it's a Barge. With villages and other Kingdom Treasures, this can go nuts, but it's tough to get there without support. The +Buy makes Trophy Room an okay money enabler and helps get to the Trophies underneath.

Trophy is a Silver that can Scheme two cards for next turn (and can Scheme Treasures too, not just Actions). Trophy adds another unique Treasure to help activate your Trophy Rooms and can even set up a Trophy Room for next turn too.

*Edit: changed Trophy to only Scheme one card instead of two, and no Scheming Trophies.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 08:59:55 am by 4est »

AJL828

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJL828
  • Respect: +394
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2021, 01:31:28 am »
+1

Here's my entry this week, a split pile! Trophy Room is a cheap terminal draw card that gets stronger the more unique Treasures you show off. Obviously quite weak if you reveal just Coppers (or no Treasures womp womp), but Copper-Silver and it's a mini Silk Merchant, three different Treasures and it's a Barge. With villages and other Kingdom Treasures, this can go nuts, but it's tough to get there without support. The +Buy makes Trophy Room an okay money enabler and helps get to the Trophies underneath.

Trophy is a Silver that can Scheme two cards for next turn (and can Scheme Treasures too, not just Actions). Trophy adds another unique Treasure to help activate your Trophy Rooms and can even set up a Trophy Room for next turn too.

I’m not sure if it’s exactly super overpowered since you first need to empty out the Trophy Rooms, but 2 Trophies + 2 Silvers in hand will be able to get you a Province every turn (barring discard attacks and such) with no other support in every game that Trophy Room/Trophy part of. Feels like a little too easy of a combo imo.
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2021, 03:48:26 am »
+1

Diviner - $4
Action/Fate

+1 Action
Receive the Boons on your Diviner mat in any order, leaving them there.
-
When you gain this, take the top Boon and put it on your Diviner mat (face up).
Heirloom: Goat

Update v0.3: Now costs $4 rather than $3 and comes with Goat to avoid Flame's Gift swinginess.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 11:03:47 am by faust »
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2021, 04:41:54 am »
+4

Collector
$4
Action

Exile a card from your hand.

+1 card per differently named victory card you have in exile.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2021, 06:31:01 am »

Cantrip Cellar is already a really strong or possibly even a decent ; Hunting Lodge is all or nothing and gets worse with a large handsize. Cantrip Cellar lets you pick and choose which cards you discard and gets stronger with a larger handsize. That makes up for being a Cantrip instead of a Village if you ask me. And this is significantly better than Cantrip Cellar.
I totally agree that cantrip Cellar is a $5 but this is only moderately better as it features something like an integrated Vagrant.

If Cellar is weaker than Warehouse, then I think cantrip Cellar is weaker than Forum. For a $2 card, Cellar doesn't seem to get much hype as a target for the +1 card token (compared to the $2 cantrips).

I think with Hunting Lodge the strength is how well it goes with non drawing Terminals in an engine (draw to X villages are good), and it gives you plenty of scope to use its +2 Actions.

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2021, 09:20:25 am »
+1

I’m not sure if it’s exactly super overpowered since you first need to empty out the Trophy Rooms, but 2 Trophies + 2 Silvers in hand will be able to get you a Province every turn (barring discard attacks and such) with no other support in every game that Trophy Room/Trophy part of. Feels like a little too easy of a combo imo.

Yes, thank you, double scheme and self scheming is too much for one card and does make it way too easy to set up a boring Province every turn deck, definitely an oversight. I've nerfed Trophy to Scheme only one card instead of two and it can no longer Scheme itself or other Trophies. I think it's still strong enough to cost the same: Scheme with +1 Action +$2 instead of cantrip (and can't be dead drawn) feels like it can cost $5. Open to feedback though.

Updated entry (also in OP):

stechafle

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: stechafle
  • Respect: +97
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2021, 09:39:58 am »
+5

Finally a home for this card that pairs with Cartographer!

Spiral Staircase
Reveal the top card of your deck. Then continue to reveal cards from your deck until you reveal one that does not cost more than the previously revealed card. Put the revealed cards into your hand.
$4 Action
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 21 queries.