Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #125: What's the Draw?  (Read 11279 times)

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
Weekly Design Contest #125: What's the Draw?
« on: August 13, 2021, 12:17:33 pm »
+8

WDC #125: What's the Draw?

Rules:
  • Design a card-shaped thing that draws a variable number of cards that is not a draw-to-X (where X is is fixed rather than variable) card
  • For the purposes of this week's contest, binary will not be considered to be "variable".  What I mean by that is that cards like Shanty Town (that draws either 0 or 2 cards), Menagerie (that draws 1 or 3 cards), or Conspirator (that draws either 0 or 1 card) would not qualify.
  • As mentioned above, draw-to-X cards like Library, Watchtower, and Cursed Village would not qualify because they draw up to a predetermined number of cards.  The exception would be a draw-to-X card like faust's Geographer, where the "X" is variable.
  • Your submission can be a non-supply card (in which case you should also submit a supply card or WELP which works with the non-supply card)
  • If your submission is a split pile, only one of the cards needs to meet the contest criteria
  • Your submission can be a WELP*
  • Please do not submit any Traveller lines or mixed piles
  • Official cards that would qualify include Crossroads, City Quarter, Madman, Shepherd, Storyteller, Seer, Scrying Pool, Apprentice, and Tribute
  • Cards that let you draw a variable number of cards for a future turn will also be permitted.  So Research, for example, would qualify.
The deadline will be Friday, August 20th at 11:59PM ETSaturday, August 21st at 9AM ET.  I will judge over the weekend and aim to post results on Sunday, August 22nd.  It is possible that I will only post the winner and runners-up so that the next contest can start and will provide detailed feedback on the remaining entries later in the week.

*I'm not really sure how you would design a Landmark that fits, but I'm prepared to be surprised

ENTRIES:
Gubump's Arcade
JW's Impoverished Village
AJL828's Illusionist
mandioca15's Innkeeper
Xtra's Commander
NoMoreFun's Farm Cellar
Aquila's Repository
emtzalex's Rework
Xen3k's Flower Garden
The Alchemist's Serfs
4est's Trophy Room/Trophy
faust's Diviner
xyz123's Collector
stecafle's Spiral Staircase
DunnoItAll's Interest/Savings
grep's Dike
alion8me's Farmer
spineflu's Knave
mxdata's Wrangler/Discovery
majiponi's Agency
Chris is me's Professor
fika monster's Mobile Library
spheremonk's Lucre/Burglar
lompeluiten's Gold Prospector
Gardoomalion's Clock Tower
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 08:15:04 am by Timinou »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1683
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #125: What's the Draw?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2021, 12:27:27 pm »
+1

WDC #125: What's the Draw?

Rules:
  • Design a card-shaped thing that draws a variable number of cards that is not a draw-to-X card
  • For the purposes of this week's contest, binary will not be considered to be "variable".  What I mean by that is that cards like Shanty Town (that draws either 0 or 2 cards), Menagerie (that draws 0 or 3 cards), or Conspirator (that draws either 0 or 1 card) would not qualify.
  • As mentioned above, draw-to-X cards like Library, Watchtower, and Cursed Village would not qualify
  • Your submission can be a non-supply card (in which case you should also submit a supply card or WELP which works with the non-supply card)
  • If your submission is a split pile, only one of the cards needs to meet the contest criteria
  • Your submission can be a WELP*
  • Please do not submit any Traveller lines or mixed piles
  • Official cards that would qualify include Crossroads, City Quarter, and Madman
The deadline will be Friday, August 20th at 11:59PM ET.  I will judge over the weekend and aim to post results on Sunday, August 22nd.  It is possible that I will only post the winner and runners-up so that the next contest can start and will provide detailed feedback on the remaining entries later in the week.

*I'm not really sure how you would design a Landmark that fits, but I'm prepared to be surprised

1. Menagerie draws 1 or 3 cards, not 0 or 3.
2. I assume cards like faust's Geographer from the DtX contest that are DtX but have X as a variable number don't qualify either?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 12:30:32 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1353
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2021, 12:28:02 pm »
+1

what about the red sifters / basements, like cellar and storeroom? or uh storyteller? apprentice?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 01:16:49 pm by spineflu »

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1453
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2021, 12:49:20 pm »
+1

Would you count Shepherd in this? I presume you would, since it draws a variable number of cards. What about Cellar, which also draws a variable number, but that never* changes it's impact on your hand size (which always is reduced by 1)?

Also, what, if any virtual drawing is included? Do you count Seer? What about Scrying Pool? What about Research?

* If your deck and discard pile were (almost) empty, and you discarded Village Green or Faithful Hound and triggered their reaction, you could technically end up reducing your handsize by more than one.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 12:50:40 pm by emtzalex »
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2021, 12:59:10 pm »
+4

Usually caps at Hunting Grounds (+Cards, +Actions, +Buys, +$), but occasionally can reach +7 Cards (+VP, +Coffers, +Villagers). Pretty hard to get it to reach the cap though.

Version History
v0.1: Initial version
v0.2: Dropped price to as suggested on Discord.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 01:53:23 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2021, 01:40:50 pm »
+2

1. Menagerie draws 1 or 3 cards, not 0 or 3.
  Thanks, fixed it in the OP.

2. I assume cards like faust's Geographer from the DtX contest that are DtX but have X as a variable number don't qualify either?
Oh, good point.  I forgot about faust's card, and it would actually be in the spirit of this week's contest so I've tweaked the rules to allow for such cards.

What about something like Tribute, i.e. a card whose draw variable can be 3 different values?

what about the red sifters / basements, like cellar and storeroom? or uh storyteller? apprentice?

Would you count Shepherd in this? I presume you would, since it draws a variable number of cards. What about Cellar, which also draws a variable number, but that never* changes it's impact on your hand size (which always is reduced by 1)?

Also, what, if any virtual drawing is included? Do you count Seer? What about Scrying Pool? What about Research?

Yes - Tribute, Cellar, Seer, Storeroom, Storyteller, Apprentice, Research, Shepherd, and Scrying Pool would qualify.  I knew I was forgetting to list a bunch of official cards!

« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 01:42:55 pm by Timinou »

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2021, 01:51:48 pm »
+1

Gubump, the card image has a cost of $3 so I'm not sure where the typo is.

EDIT: Also, based on your description of the card, I'm assuming that the intent is that "thing" wouldn't include cards, Artifacts, States, Boons, or Hexes, right?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 02:03:07 pm by Timinou »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2021, 01:53:48 pm »

Gubump, the card image has a cost of $3 so I'm not sure where the typo is.

Thanks, the image is correct. The typo's been fixed.

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1792
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2021, 01:57:20 pm »
+3

Impoverished Village 
Action
+3 Actions. If you have no , draw up to 3 cards and take twice that much .

Update: changed cost from to . It should work at $1 because you typically don't want many early, and, like Poor House, it fits the theme to cost $1.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 08:14:42 pm by JW »

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2021, 02:40:21 pm »
+7

Innkeeper (Action, $4)

+1 Action
Reveal the top card of your deck; you may discard it or put it back.
+1 Card per type it has.

AJL828

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJL828
  • Respect: +395
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2021, 03:34:26 pm »
+9

Illusionist
Action ($4)

Reveal your hand. +1 Card per different card type (Action, Attack, Treasure, etc.) revealed.

I originally designed this at $5 but after some playtesting on TTS my peers said it would be better at $4, so I'm gonna try it at that. I think it'll be better than Smithy overall, but it still has it's weaknesses (discard attacks for example) that make it acceptable at the same price.
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2021, 05:32:55 pm »
+9

Lol. Good Tunnel and Village Green enabler, I suppose (both of which plays really well with Commander).

From a hand of 5 cards, keeping a in hand is like playing a cellar that gives +. Weak. Anything above that starts to be worth it. Keeping a Gold in hand seems neat. And who knows, maybe you'll green earlier for that epic +8 Cards.

From a hand of 6+ cards, your handsize will probably either stays neutral, or decrease. But hey, good sifting, right?
Bottom text

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2127
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2021, 05:38:43 pm »
+1

Farm Cellar
Action - $5
+1 Action
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal an Action or Treasure.
Put all the revealed cards into your hand.
Discard any number of cards from your hand to draw that many.

So basically it's the draw of Farming Village, but you keep all the cards instead of discarding the ones you weren't looking for, and then a Cellar. The more Curses and Victory cards you have, the more it draws, though you're still more likely to end up with a bad card after the Cellaring in decks like that.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 05:40:29 pm by NoMoreFun »

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2021, 05:42:01 pm »
+2

I do have a mock-up of this, but only with an heirloom that I won't include here:
Repository - Action Reserve, $4 cost.
Put this on your Tavern mat; you may immediately call it.
-
At the start of your turn, you may call this. When you call this, discard any number of Treasures, revealed, for +2 Cards each.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2021, 06:43:54 pm »

Farm Cellar
Action - $5
+1 Action
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal an Action or Treasure.
Put all the revealed cards into your hand.
Discard any number of cards from your hand to draw that many.

So basically it's the draw of Farming Village, but you keep all the cards instead of discarding the ones you weren't looking for, and then a Cellar. The more Curses and Victory cards you have, the more it draws, though you're still more likely to end up with a bad card after the Cellaring in decks like that.

This is too strong. Cantrip Cellar is already a really strong or possibly even a decent ; Hunting Lodge is all or nothing and gets worse with a large handsize. Cantrip Cellar lets you pick and choose which cards you discard and gets stronger with a larger handsize. That makes up for being a Cantrip instead of a Village if you ask me. And this is significantly better than Cantrip Cellar.

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1453
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2021, 08:18:05 pm »

My Submission:

Quote from: Rework
REWORK

[Card art shows the frame of a ship under construction outdoors, with numerous workers on and around the ship; loose planks of wood are on the ground in the foreground.]

Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing up to $2 more than it, setting aside the gained card. At the start of your next turn, discard it, then +1 Card per $1 it costs.

$5

ACTION - DURATION

Am I the only one who wonders why there is no official remodeler that's a Duration? They are two mechanics that keep showing up in expansions, but they have yet to meet in a single (official) card. In any case, I think they go well together, and can work well for this.

On play it's a basic Remodel, trashing a card in your hand to gain worth up to $2 more. But the card gets held until the following turn. In exchange for the delay, the player is rewarded with a significant bonus, increasing the size of their next turn's hand. If the extra cards trigger a shuffle, it is possible to get the gained card that turn. Since the gained card is set aside, there is a minor synergy with on-discard Reactions, which are conveniently priced for Remodeling junk into them (at $2-$4).

I was a little unsure how to price this. On one hand, making it a Duration limits the frequency of use, and delaying gaining the card weakens the effect as well (unless you are gaining a Victory card). On the other hand, the +Card bonus is pretty strong. If you Rework an Estate into a $4 card (what I tend to think of as the baseline move), that's a bigger handsize increase than Barge (albeit without the +Buy). Even if you are Reworking Curses into $2 cards, that's still a pretty strong bonus (and if you can only gain an Estate, you don't mind it being delayed getting into your deck). Given all that, I think it's too strong at $4.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +582
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2021, 10:28:13 pm »
+1

Flower Garden - $3
Action
Choose a card you have in play. +1 Card per $1 it costs. If you draw 3 or fewer cards, +1 Action.
Put 2 cards from your hand onto your deck in any order.

A scaling Courtyard. You are able to pick the Flower Garden you just played, so at the very least it is a cantrip that sets up the next two cards of your deck. Feedback is appreciated.

The Alchemist

• Golem
  • Respect: +215
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2021, 10:33:15 pm »
+3

Does a card like this qualify? The amount drawn is dependent on the handsize of an opponent, but it is technically sifting not drawing.

(A version under consideration has +2 Actions instead of just one, making it also a village)

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2021, 01:11:49 am »
+1

Here's my entry this week, a split pile! Trophy Room is a cheap terminal draw card that gets stronger the more unique Treasures you show off. Obviously quite weak if you reveal just Coppers (or no Treasures womp womp), but Copper-Silver and it's a mini Silk Merchant, three different Treasures and it's a Barge. With villages and other Kingdom Treasures, this can go nuts, but it's tough to get there without support. The +Buy makes Trophy Room an okay money enabler and helps get to the Trophies underneath.

Trophy is a Silver that can Scheme two cards for next turn (and can Scheme Treasures too, not just Actions). Trophy adds another unique Treasure to help activate your Trophy Rooms and can even set up a Trophy Room for next turn too.

*Edit: changed Trophy to only Scheme one card instead of two, and no Scheming Trophies.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 08:59:55 am by 4est »

AJL828

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2021, 01:31:28 am »
+1

Here's my entry this week, a split pile! Trophy Room is a cheap terminal draw card that gets stronger the more unique Treasures you show off. Obviously quite weak if you reveal just Coppers (or no Treasures womp womp), but Copper-Silver and it's a mini Silk Merchant, three different Treasures and it's a Barge. With villages and other Kingdom Treasures, this can go nuts, but it's tough to get there without support. The +Buy makes Trophy Room an okay money enabler and helps get to the Trophies underneath.

Trophy is a Silver that can Scheme two cards for next turn (and can Scheme Treasures too, not just Actions). Trophy adds another unique Treasure to help activate your Trophy Rooms and can even set up a Trophy Room for next turn too.

I’m not sure if it’s exactly super overpowered since you first need to empty out the Trophy Rooms, but 2 Trophies + 2 Silvers in hand will be able to get you a Province every turn (barring discard attacks and such) with no other support in every game that Trophy Room/Trophy part of. Feels like a little too easy of a combo imo.
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5159
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2021, 03:48:26 am »
+1

Diviner - $4
Action/Fate

+1 Action
Receive the Boons on your Diviner mat in any order, leaving them there.
-
When you gain this, take the top Boon and put it on your Diviner mat (face up).
Heirloom: Goat

Update v0.3: Now costs $4 rather than $3 and comes with Goat to avoid Flame's Gift swinginess.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 11:03:47 am by faust »
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2021, 04:41:54 am »
+4

Collector
$4
Action

Exile a card from your hand.

+1 card per differently named victory card you have in exile.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2021, 06:31:01 am »

Cantrip Cellar is already a really strong or possibly even a decent ; Hunting Lodge is all or nothing and gets worse with a large handsize. Cantrip Cellar lets you pick and choose which cards you discard and gets stronger with a larger handsize. That makes up for being a Cantrip instead of a Village if you ask me. And this is significantly better than Cantrip Cellar.
I totally agree that cantrip Cellar is a $5 but this is only moderately better as it features something like an integrated Vagrant.

If Cellar is weaker than Warehouse, then I think cantrip Cellar is weaker than Forum. For a $2 card, Cellar doesn't seem to get much hype as a target for the +1 card token (compared to the $2 cantrips).

I think with Hunting Lodge the strength is how well it goes with non drawing Terminals in an engine (draw to X villages are good), and it gives you plenty of scope to use its +2 Actions.

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2021, 09:20:25 am »
+1

I’m not sure if it’s exactly super overpowered since you first need to empty out the Trophy Rooms, but 2 Trophies + 2 Silvers in hand will be able to get you a Province every turn (barring discard attacks and such) with no other support in every game that Trophy Room/Trophy part of. Feels like a little too easy of a combo imo.

Yes, thank you, double scheme and self scheming is too much for one card and does make it way too easy to set up a boring Province every turn deck, definitely an oversight. I've nerfed Trophy to Scheme only one card instead of two and it can no longer Scheme itself or other Trophies. I think it's still strong enough to cost the same: Scheme with +1 Action +$2 instead of cantrip (and can't be dead drawn) feels like it can cost $5. Open to feedback though.

Updated entry (also in OP):

stechafle

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: stechafle
  • Respect: +97
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2021, 09:39:58 am »
+5

Finally a home for this card that pairs with Cartographer!

Spiral Staircase
Reveal the top card of your deck. Then continue to reveal cards from your deck until you reveal one that does not cost more than the previously revealed card. Put the revealed cards into your hand.
$4 Action

DunnoItAll

• Thief
  • Respect: +127
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2021, 11:17:26 am »
+2

A split pile with 5 Interests on top of 5 Savings.

For clarity's sake, only the top card of the pile is considered in the supply, so, if you play an Interest while the top card of the pile is another Interest, you cannot Exile a Savings.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 10:22:46 am by DunnoItAll »

AJL828

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2021, 01:22:04 pm »
+1

A split pile with 5 Interests on top of 5 Savings.

For clarity's sake, only the top card of the pile is considered in the supply, so, if you play an Interest while the top card of the pile is another Interest, you cannot Exile a Savings.
Savings pricing doesn’t quite make sense to me. Is it supposed to be “costs $1 less per Interest you have in play?” Right now with no Interest in play it costs $0, which makes the written price of $6 never actually applied.

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1351
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2021, 01:26:15 pm »

Spiral Staircase
Reveal the top card of your deck. Then continue to reveal cards from your deck until you reveal one that does not cost more than the previously revealed card. Put the revealed cards into your hand.
$4 Action

It would also combo nicely with Harbinger.  Potentially an even stronger combo in fact.  Use Harbinger to put a Copper on top of your deck, and you could potentially get enormous draw. And if you have strong trashing, it might even be worthwhile to keep exactly one Copper for this very purpose - if you have exactly one Copper and that's the top card of your deck, this becomes an instant "draw your entire deck"!
They/them

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2021, 05:54:58 pm »
+1

Spiral Staircase
$4 Action

It would also combo nicely with Harbinger.  Potentially an even stronger combo in fact.  Use Harbinger to put a Copper on top of your deck, and you could potentially get enormous draw. And if you have strong trashing, it might even be worthwhile to keep exactly one Copper for this very purpose - if you have exactly one Copper and that's the top card of your deck, this becomes an instant "draw your entire deck"!

Maybe I’m misinterpreting the text, but top-decking Copper would only guarantee drawing one more card in addition to the Copper, right?

grep

• Explorer
  • Respect: +457
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2021, 06:11:24 pm »
+1

Dike
$4 - Action - Gathering
+1 Card per 2% on the Dike Supply pile, rounded up.
You may trash a card from your hand. If you don't, trash this.
-
When you gain this, put 1% onto the Dike Supply pile.
When you trash this, take 1% from the Dike Supply pile.

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2021, 07:28:36 pm »

Spiral Staircase
$4 Action

Maybe I’m misinterpreting the text, but top-decking Copper would only guarantee drawing one more card in addition to the Copper, right?

"Until revealing one that does not cost more". So, if the revealed card costs $X, then you keep drawing until you reveal a card that costs ≤$X. If you reveal a Copper, then that means you keep drawing until revealing another $0 card
« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 07:35:11 pm by mxdata »
They/them

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2021, 09:07:00 pm »

Spiral Staircase
$4 Action

"Until revealing one that does not cost more". So, if the revealed card costs $X, then you keep drawing until you reveal a card that costs ≤$X. If you reveal a Copper, then that means you keep drawing until revealing another $0 card

Timinou has it right. Each card is compared to the previous revealed card, not the first revealed card.

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2021, 09:19:40 pm »

Spiral Staircase
$4 Action

Timinou has it right. Each card is compared to the previous revealed card, not the first revealed card.

Oh! Okay, I misunderstood the intention behind "previously". Then in that case, Harbinger is not a good combo
They/them

alion8me

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: alion8me
  • Respect: +178
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2021, 12:51:25 am »
+1

Farmer

+1 Card per differently named card you have in play (including this).

Action
$4

Illusionist
Action ($4)

Reveal your hand. +1 Card per different card type (Action, Attack, Treasure, etc.) revealed.

I originally designed this at $5 but after some playtesting on TTS my peers said it would be better at $4, so I'm gonna try it at that. I think it'll be better than Smithy overall, but it still has it's weaknesses (discard attacks for example) that make it acceptable at the same price.

I submitted a card with the same effect and cost a year ago to a different weekly contest here: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=18987.msg854508#msg854508.

AJL828

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2021, 01:40:28 am »

Farmer

+1 Card per differently named card you have in play (including this).

Action
$4

Illusionist
Action ($4)

I submitted a card with the same effect and cost a year ago to a different weekly contest here: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=18987.msg854508#msg854508.

Oh geez, is there some sort of etiquette for when this happens? I swear I thought of the idea independently lol, but I don’t wanna seem like I’m stealing

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2021, 10:05:04 am »

Does a card like this qualify? The amount drawn is dependent on the handsize of an opponent, but it is technically sifting not drawing.

(A version under consideration has +2 Actions instead of just one, making it also a village)

Yes, this qualifies.  Just to confirm: if you play Serf and another player draws a card but their handsize is smaller than yours, you wouldn’t need to discard cards, right?  It would just mean you wouldn’t draw a card?

DunnoItAll

• Thief
  • Respect: +127
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2021, 10:21:06 am »
+1

Savings pricing doesn’t quite make sense to me. Is it supposed to be “costs $1 less per Interest you have in play?” Right now with no Interest in play it costs $0, which makes the written price of $6 never actually applied.

Ack, yes.  Less.  Thank you for that.  I fixed it in my original post.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 10:23:22 am by DunnoItAll »

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2021, 10:22:29 am »
+2

Knave • $3 • Action
Choose one:
+1 Action and +1 Coffers; or spend any number of Coffers for +2 Cards each.

You may advance to your Clean Up phase (skip your Buy Phase) for +1 Coffers.

FAQ: it also skips the night phase. Your buy phase does not occur, so any "at the start/end of your Buy phase" effects do not happen. If you have additional stuff to do (ie, you play this via procession, or with a throned command card like captain), that still all happens, just in your cleanup phase, so plan accordingly.

i did consider a hermit-like version where it fires if you didn't buy cards but i didn't want more than one of these to proc per turn.

card name/theme is from the end of the rhyme about the butcher/baker/candlestick maker.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 06:03:50 pm by spineflu »

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2021, 10:13:17 pm »

Wrangler
Action
$3
+1 Action
Trash a card from your hand. Gain 1 Horse per $1 it costs.

Discovery
Night - Duration
$6
Set aside a card from your deck face down (on this) per card you've gained this turn. At the start of your next turn, put those cards into your hand.

A split pile. The top card acts as a sort of delayed Research, in the sense that gaining a Horse is equivalent to a delayed +1 Card. But more importantly, it helps set up the bottom card. The bottom card allows you to set aside cards, similar to Research, except that it does not require you to trash cards, but depends on how many cards you gained that turn. Wrangler ensures that any game with Discovery will have some way of gaining multiple cards in a single turn. Without Wrangler, it could end up in a kingdom with no +buy and no gainers, making it at best a half-Den of Sin. In a deck-drawing engine, Discovery would set aside the cards you bought
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 10:15:39 pm by mxdata »
They/them

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +466
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2021, 06:07:12 am »
+5

Spiral Staircase
$4 Action

Interesting concept. :) In the absence of top-decking/deck-ordering cards, this is somewhat weaker than Smithy on average: The probability of a random card costing more than the previous (random) one is less than 50%, so it draws less than 2+1/2+1/4+1/8+...=3 cards on average.

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2021, 08:54:19 pm »

Agency
cost $2 - Action
Discard any number of cards, then draw that many.
Then discard any number of cards for +1 Action and +1 Buy each.

Is it acceptable?

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2021, 01:08:27 am »
+1

Professor
$4 - Action

+1 Action

Reveal a card from your hand. +1 Card for each type it has.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2021, 03:33:06 am »

Agency
cost $2 - Action

Is it acceptable?

I wouldn't think so - there's no net draw. After you're finished resolving it, you have, at most, one fewer card than you started with

It's an interesting idea, but it seems a bit strong for its cost. It sifts and gives you extra Actions and Buys. It's sort of like a combination of Storeroom (but without the +$) and Hamlet - but it can give you a lot more +Actions and +Buy than Hamlet can, especially if you started out with a large hand
They/them

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +481
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2021, 04:32:18 am »

A library that can technically draww your entire deck, but it gets harder and harder to do so if you already have a big hand

I were aiming for a cornucopia themed Library that rewards a diverse deck

Edit1
« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 02:01:02 pm by spineflu »
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2021, 08:05:21 am »
+3

Agency
cost $2 - Action

Is it acceptable?

I wouldn't think so - there's no net draw. After you're finished resolving it, you have, at most, one fewer card than you started with

It's an interesting idea, but it seems a bit strong for its cost. It sifts and gives you extra Actions and Buys. It's sort of like a combination of Storeroom (but without the +$) and Hamlet - but it can give you a lot more +Actions and +Buy than Hamlet can, especially if you started out with a large hand

net draw isn't the contest - Cellar qualifies.

JW

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2021, 09:41:20 am »
+3

A library that can technically draw your entire deck, but it gets harder and harder to do so if you already have a big hand

This card automatically draws your entire deck if you play it as the last card in hand. On boards with +Action where you can reliably get this to be the only or nearly the only card in your hand, it's clearly too strong. 

The Alchemist

• Golem
  • Respect: +215
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2021, 11:32:15 am »

Yes, this qualifies.  Just to confirm: if you play Serf and another player draws a card but their handsize is smaller than yours, you wouldn’t need to discard cards, right?  It would just mean you wouldn’t draw a card?

Yes, that is correct. It says "Draw until", same wording as DtX. When you play DtX when you have more than X cards in your hand, you just do nothing. Likewise, if the opponent's hand size is smaller, you just don't draw, and you don't need to discard (just like library doesn't make you discard down to 7).

spheremonk

• Bishop
  • Respect: +206
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2021, 01:48:34 pm »
+2

GO BIG OR GO HOME!

Split pile (five 'n five):

« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 11:21:17 pm by spheremonk »

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2021, 09:14:17 am »
+1

24 Hour Warning

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5159
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2021, 11:04:28 am »

Notice that I updated my entry.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

lompeluiten

• Bishop
  • Respect: +79
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2021, 01:55:39 pm »

Aigain some last minute inspiration:

Gold prospector $3
Reveal the top 4 cards of your deck. Take all treasurecards and discard the rest

The only problem with it that is is pretty strong in the early game but in quite a few games it will drop off in power quickly as you refine your stratagy.

Gardoomalion

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2021, 03:29:21 pm »
+4

Clock Tower (12 cards in a pile)
Action
Cost

Rotate all your set aside Clock Tower 90°. Set this aside.
-
When you rotate it to 180°, return it to the Supply and gain a card costing up to , +X cards, where X = 8 - cost of the gained card.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 07:34:15 am by Gardoomalion »

spheremonk

• Bishop
  • Respect: +206
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2021, 12:25:18 am »

I don’t think it’s a problem, as you’ve added a whole new spin on it with Discovery, but FYI . . .

NoMoreFun previously submitted this card to the "Revised Versions of Published Cards" contest:

Research's setting aside and missing shuffles makes it not all that fun.

IMO

Research
Action - $4
+1 Action
Trash a card from your hand. Gain a Horse per $1 it costs.

The horses could be top decked but without the duration type and setting aside it's a big buff.

Then I subsequently submitted this card (not having seen NoMoreFun’s card) to this contest:

« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 12:26:30 am by spheremonk »

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2021, 01:07:47 am »

I don’t think it’s a problem, as you’ve added a whole new spin on it with Discovery, but FYI . . .

NoMoreFun previously submitted this card to the "Revised Versions of Published Cards" contest:

Research's setting aside and missing shuffles makes it not all that fun.

IMO

Research
Action - $4
+1 Action
Trash a card from your hand. Gain a Horse per $1 it costs.

The horses could be top decked but without the duration type and setting aside it's a big buff.

Then I subsequently submitted this card (not having seen NoMoreFun’s card) to this contest:

Ah, jeez. I hadn't seen either one of those cards previously. It's far too late now to submit a new entry, though
They/them

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2021, 01:23:10 am »
+3

Not sure if anyone else feels this way, but I am personally happy with my "ideas" for cards being used anywhere

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2021, 09:51:48 am »
+1

Submissions closed

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2021, 08:13:58 am »
+5

This was a tough one!  I'm posting the results now to minimize the delay in getting the next contest up, but I will post detailed feedback on the submissions later tonight.

Honorable Mentions:
emtzalex's Rework
Xen3k's Flower Garden
stechafle's Spiral Staircase

Runners-up:
Aquila's Repository
X-tra's Commander

WINNER:
Gubump's Arcade

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2021, 11:03:48 am »

This was a tough one!  I'm posting the results now to minimize the delay in getting the next contest up, but I will post detailed feedback on the submissions later tonight.

Honorable Mentions:
emtzalex's Rework
Xen3k's Flower Garden

Runners-up:
Aquila's Repository
X-tra's Commander

WINNER:
Gubump's Arcade

Thanks! The next contest has been posted.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2021, 05:07:21 pm »
+5

Honorable Mentions:
emtzalex's Rework
Xen3k's Flower Garden

Runners-up:
Aquila's Repository
X-tra's Commander

WINNER:
Gubump's Arcade

I don't know about everyone else, but I am still interested in seeing your comments on people's cards.

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2021, 02:48:13 am »
+4

Sorry for the delay in posting the detailed results.  My comments are below.  There were a lot of cool submissions last week, and the honorable mentions list could easily have been longer - it was hard to pick which ones to shortlist!

Gubump's Arcade *WINNER*
Arcade draws cards based on the number of “things” you have gained +1 of (could be +Cards, +Actions, +Buys, +$, +VP, +Coffers, or +Villagers) during your turn.  Arcade loves cards like Markets and Peddlers and villages like Bazaar and Worker’s Village.  At a cost of $3, it looks like a great bargain in Kingdoms with these cards.  It wouldn't take much for it to draw as many cards as a Smithy, but unlike Smithy if you draw it in your starting hand without any non-terminal Action card, it will do nothing for you.  It’s definitely not a card you want to add to your deck too early in the game.  I’m not entirely sure if it’s balanced at $3, but it looks like a lot of fun to build a deck with this.

Impoverished Village is a glorified Necropolis that lets you take up to 3 debt to draw as many cards.  Playing multiple Impoverished Villages in a turn will give you lots of +Actions, but you will only be able to draw cards with one of them due to debt mechanic.  You need to be mindful of Kingdoms that have both Impoverished Village and cards like Upgrade, since you don’t necessarily want to Upgrade too many of your Coppers into Impoverished Villages.  Nevertheless, it’s tempting to have at least one Impoverished Village in your deck (taking 3 debt during your turn for +3 cards and +3 Actions seems like it would pay off in most cases). 

mandioca15's Innkeeper
Innkeeper is a Spy variant that draws as many cards as the number of types that the revealed card has.  On its own, Innkeeper looks fairly weak.  Being able to decide whether or not you want to draw the revealed card makes it better than something like Zombie Spy, but Innkeeper only really shines in a Kingdom with multiple-type cards (and ideally deck inspectors to avoid whiffing).  There's a good synergy with Village Green, because you could non-terminally draw 4 cards if Innkeeper reveals a Village Green.  Innkeeper is a neat idea, but I feel like it needs a slight buff to make it more relevant in Kingdoms without cards that synergize with it.

AJL828's Illusionist
Illusionist draws cards based the number of different card types in your hand.  Like Innkeeper, Illusionist looks strong in a Kingdom with multiple-type cards.  In a Kingdom with just the basic card types (Action, Treasure, Victory), Illusionist is less reliable than Smithy.  It's obviously better in Kingdoms with more card types.  With at least 22 different official card types (and hopefully more to come), it does seem like it could potentially get a bit crazy, but I'm more concerned about the reliability of Innkeeper as a draw card even when you are able to build a deck that has lots of multiple-type cards.  I also feel like counting all the card types you have in hand each time you play Illusionist could occasionally get a bit tedious (it's not the same as when checking for the number of types a single card has), but that's just a nitpick.  Overall, a solid design - just not in my wheelhouse.

Xtra's Commander *RUNNER-UP*
Commander makes you discard down to 1 card in hand and then draw up to as many cards per $1 the card you keep costs.  I like that if you have it in your starting hand, the decision of when to play it won’t always be obvious especially if you have other strong cards in hand.  The card does encourage you to green earlier, since revealing a Province will let you draw 8 new cards (and keeping the Province in hand is helpful if you draw more Commanders).  There is the self-synergy, which which will probably incentivizes going for a stack of these.  I feel like the +$1 might not be necessary, since it perhaps makes this too monolithic.  I think the card would be strong enough at $5 without the +$1.  Nonetheless, looks like a fun design overall that would be interesting to play with.

NoMoreFun's Farm Cellar
Farm Cellar will dig through your deck until it finds an Action or a Treasure; in addition you draw the cards (most often Victory cards or Curses, but occasionally useful Night cards) that were revealed before you found that Action or Treasure, and then you get to sift like with regular Cellar.  Even in clean decks, being able to sift through cards without reducing your hand size is really good.  In junky decks or during the greening phase, playing a bunch of Farm Cellars is probably going to increase your hand size, which makes it even better than Forum in my view.

Aquila's Repository *RUNNER-UP*
Repository is a Reserve card that can be immediately called or at the start of your turn and lets you discard any number of Treasures for +2 Cards each.  Repository is a useful card for both money strategies and engines, and looks essential in Kingdoms without Copper trashing.  I like the fact that just as you could reasonably hold on to your Estates in Shepherd games, even the presence of good Copper trashing will make you think twice about your strategy if Repository is available.  I think a version that cannot be called immediately when played would be interesting, since I think the downside of it not doing anything when played would make the decision of how many to add to your deck more meaningful.     

emtzalex's Rework *HONORABLE MENTION*
Rework is like a delayed Apprentice combined with Remodel.  It reminds me of a card I submitted for a previous contest, but I think I like this version better in terms of simplicity and power level.  Rework is useful early in the game for trashing your starting cards, especially if there are some decent $2-cost cards available.  Even if you’re forced to settle for remodeling your Coppers into Estates, you still get to keep the Estate out of your deck for one turn and get some decent duration draw.  Being able to remodel some of your cards into your green cards on your penultimate turn also looks great for this reason.  On the other hand, it also keeps useful stuff out of your deck for an extra turn compared to other remodelers.  This eclectic combination of remodeler and duration draw looks interesting to try out.

Xen3k's Flower Garden *HONORABLE MENTION*
Flower Garden draws cards based on the cost of a card you have in play and then makes you topdeck 2 cards.  It also has an interesting feature whereby it is non-terminal if you draw 3 or fewer cards, but terminal if you draw more than 3 cards with it.  If you choose the Flower Garden you just played, you draw 3 cards and topdeck 2 cards from your hand.  I like the uniqueness of the card, but Flower Garden looks like it could be a bit awkward early in the game when you are less likely to have good stuff to topdeck.  Nevertheless, once your deck is more developed the draw that it provides and ability to set up your next turn (or power up cards like Heralds and Chariot Races) look quite useful.

The Alchemist's Serfs
Serfs is a fairly unique sifter.  It makes you draw cards in between your turns each time the player to your right draws a card and has more cards in hand than you do, but at the start of your turn you discard down to 5 cards.  The sifting that this provides could potentially be far better than any of the official sifters, even when your opponent isn’t drawing their entire deck.  I don’t know that having a Serfs in play will necessarily make your opponent think twice about whether they should continue to draw cards during their turn, but I could definitely see you ending up with your entire deck in hand at the start of your turn especially if there are no discard attacks in the Kingdom.  I don’t like that, and I could also see this being a bit cumbersome IRL as need to track your opponent’s handsize and your own each time they draw cards.

4est's Trophy Room/Trophy
Trophy Room is part of a split pile and lets you draw cards per differently named Treasure in your hand.  Trophy, which sits at the bottom of the pile synergizes with Trophy Room and also topdeck a card (other than a Trophy) during Clean-up.  Even though it is cheap, I think Trophy Room looks fairly weak in games without other Kingdom Treasures or Heirlooms, and there probably isn’t enough incentive for players to buy enough Trophy Rooms to unveil a Trophy.  I think there’s an interesting concept here, but I think Trophy Room would need to come with a sweetener.           

faust's Diviner
Diviner sets aside a Boon on your Diviner mat when you gain it, and when played lets you receive the Boons on your mat in any order.  The card also comes with Goat, to mitigate the potential swinginess that could arise if one player happens to get Flame’s Gift on their Diviner Mat and there is no other trashing in the Kingdom.  I’m quite enamored by the concept of a card that you can power up over the course of the game, but I’m not a big fan of the randomness and hoping that you end up with a decent boon rather than one of the weaker ones when you buy Diviner.   

xyz123's Collector
Collector Exiles a card from your hand and then draws +1 Card per differently named Victory card on your Exile mat.  In games without alt-VP, this will cap at +3 cards.  The optimal time of when to add this to your deck is not clear.  It looks like a poor card to open with relative to something like Bounty Hunter.  Adding Collector to your deck in the greening phase seems to make more sense, although there is the risk of adding a stop card to your deck.  I like the overall concept, but I feel like it needs to be tweaked somehow (perhaps if it would allow you to Exile a card from hand on gain).

stechafle's Spiral Staircase *HONORABLE MENTION*
Spiral Staircase reveals the top card of your deck and then continues to reveal cards until you reveal one that does not cost more (in other words, costs the same or is cheaper) than the previously revealed card.  Unless you have certain cards in the Kingdom that combo well with it, Spiral Staircase will most often draw +2 cards, making it weaker than Smithy at the same cost.  I’m unsure of how to go about building a deck that will maximize your chances of getting maximal draw out of Spiral Staircase (you don’t want too many cards with the same cost, but even in a deck with several cards with varied costs, having them in ascending order in your deck is quite luck dependent in the absence of deck inspectors or top-decking).  It’s definitely a novel and intriguing concept and one that would definitely stand out in the right kingdom , but it’s otherwise a bit too random for my liking.

DunnoItAll's Interest/Savings *HONORABLE MENTION*
Interest is part of a split pile with Savings and will draw cards depending on the difference between the number of Interest and Savings in their pile.  If only one Interest has been bought, it will draw 1 card and if all 5 are bought, they will draw a whopping 5 cards if all the Savings are still in the supply.  Like Xen3k’s Flower Garden, the card is conditionally non-terminal – in this case, if you only happen to draw 1 card, making it a Market Square when played.  Savings has a variable cost between $1 and $6 (assuming no cost reduction in the Kingdom) and gives you $4 and +1 Buy but is then returned to the Supply; this makes the power level of Interest quite dynamic.  Playing more Interest cards in a turn will make Savings cheaper, but buying Savings will weaken your Interests on your next turn (conversely, playing your Savings will make your Interest stronger). There are definitely some interesting ideas here including the counterbalance of the draw of Interest and payload of Savings.  However, I’m not sure about how well balanced the cards are.

grep's Dike
Dike draws cards equal to every 2VP on its supply pile (rounded up) and forces you to either trash itself or a card from your hand.  Gaining a Dike adds 1VP to the supply pile (thereby powering up the card), whereas trashing it lets you take 1VP from the supply pile and weakens everyone's Dikes.  If all the Dikes in the supply pile are bought and none are trashed, each one will give +5 cards.  While a powered up Dike that can draw and trash looks quite appealing, the card has a similar drawback as Trade Route in terms of being quite weak early in the game, which may leave the pile untouched if there are other draw cards in the Kingdom.   

alion8me's Farmer
Farmer draws cards based on each differently named card in play.  Although it could definitely be powerful in the right Kingdom, the card looks weaker on average than Smithy.  More often than not, I feel like Farmer will feel too awkward in your deck to incentivize you to build around it (I think cards like Horn of Plenty and Magic Lamp have enough of a payoff to shape your strategy).   

spineflu's Knave
Knave in a Action card that gives you the choice of gaining Coffers or converting Coffers into draw.  Knave also lets you gain +1 Coffers if you skip to your Clean Up phase.  I really like the idea of converting Coffers into draw.  I'm not sure how often you would take up the option to skip to your clean-up phase for +1 Coffers, especially since it sounds like you wouldn't be able to stack these.  While Knave does synergize well with other cards that give you Coffers, on its own it seems a bit slow to get going.  Playing two Knaves in a turn for the first time (one for the Coffers and the other for the draw) is sort of like playing one as a cantrip and another for +1 Card.   

mxdata's Wrangler/Discovery
Wrangler lets you trash a card from your hand to gain as many Horses per $1 it costs.  Wrangler shares a pile with Discovery, a Night card that lets you set aside a card from the top of your deck per card that you've gained this turn.  If you are drawing your deck (as you are wont to do with all those Horses in your deck) Discovery essentially lets you set aside the cards you have gained in your buy phase and add them to your hand at the start of your next turn.  Wrangler looks fun, although it potentially lets you gain a bunch of Horses too easily (you could always trash a Horse to gain 3 Horses).  Discovery looks powerful, provided that there is +Buy in the Kingdom, otherwise it will have limited utility for a $6-cost card if you are drawing your deck.   

majiponi's Agency
Agency is analogous to Storeroom, providing a source of +Actions and +Buys instead of $ when discarding cards, so this could be a village.  While not strictly better than Cellar, it does look quite good compared to it at the same cost.  For that reason, the balance seems a bit off to me, but otherwise it's a neat idea.   

Chris is me's Professor
Professor is similar to AJL828's Illusionist but is non-terminal and provides +Cards based on the number of types a single revealed card has rather than the number of types in your hand.  Professor will always at least a cantrip, but in a deck with lots of dual-type cards, it can easily be a Lab (and quite strong when paired with Werewolves).  Whereas you could make Illusionist work in Kingdoms without dual type cards, unfortunately you are likely to skip Professor in certain Kingdoms.

fika monster's Mobile Library
Mobile Library is a card that rewards you for having variety in your deck.  When played, you reveal cards from your deck until you have revealed 4 that you have a copy of in your hand, or have revealed 10 cards in total.  You then discard the copies, and draw the rest into your hand.  The earlier version of this card was definitely overpowered, but the revised version also seems a bit crazy.  Imagine playing this from a hand of Mobile Library and 4 Coppers - unless you gained any Coppers in addition to your starting ones, you will be able to draw 10 cards (and even if 3 are Coppers, you will still be left with 7 cards after discarding them).  This seems like it could be quite swingy and is not really my cup of tea.

spheremonk's Lucre/Burglar
Burglar is a Night card buried under Lucres that lets you return to your Action phase and gives you +Cards, +Coffers, and +Villagers for each card you gained this turn.  It essentially lets you play the cards that you just gained during your Buy phase.  While it's nice to see more cards that return to your Action phase, I think this potentially gives out too much stuff for my liking.  It's not cheap at $7, but you're fairly likely to be able to hit that price point once it is revealed.  Too many coffers could be an issue, especially if you consider how many cards you can gain in a turn in a deck with Liveries or Hagglers.

lompeluiten's Gold Prospector
Gold Prospector makes you reveal the top 4 cards of your deck, take all the Treasures and discard the rest.  It's not really a card that lends itself to engines (although you may want to open with one if you want something spiky to hit a certain price point), but looks potentially quite strong in a money strategy.  It's cheaper than Smithy, and so certainly looks better than it if you're playing a money strategy.  Aside from some certain interactions (e.g. Village Green or Tunnel), this seems fairly one-dimensional.

Gardoomalion's Clock Tower *HONORABLE MENTION*
Clock Tower is an intriguing card.  It gets set aside when played, and playing future Clock Towers will make you rotate other Clock Towers that you have set aside.  When a Clock Tower has been rotated twice, you can return it to the supply to gain a card costing up to $6 and draw cards equal to 8 minus the cost of the gained card. It is perhaps not the most elegant card, but I like the uniqueness of this submission.  The mechanic of setting aside the card and rotating them sort of reminds me of Gazbag's Ice Tokens, except here you need to play Clock Towers to "unfreeze" the Clock Towers that you have set aside.  I'm not sure about the balance - it does seem a bit slow since for every Clock Tower you set aside, you would need to gain and then play two more Clock Towers before it activates.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 02:52:47 am by Timinou »

JW

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2021, 12:19:09 pm »

Impoverished Village is a glorified Necropolis that lets you take up to 3 debt to draw as many cards.  Playing multiple Impoverished Villages in a turn will give you lots of +Actions, but you will only be able to draw cards with one of them due to debt mechanic.  You need to be mindful of Kingdoms that have both Impoverished Village and cards like Upgrade, since you don’t necessarily want to Upgrade too many of your Coppers into Impoverished Villages.  Nevertheless, it’s tempting to have at least one Impoverished Village in your deck (taking 3 debt during your turn for +3 cards and +3 Actions seems like it would pay off in most cases).

Thanks for your comments on all of the cards. Impoverished Village requires taking twice as much debt as the number of cards drawn. I agree that drawing 3 cards would be fairly automatic if it was only 1 debt per card drawn, unless you are very likely to draw your deck anyway (or barring reshuffle considerations).

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2021, 03:00:15 pm »

Thanks for your comments on all of the cards. Impoverished Village requires taking twice as much debt as the number of cards drawn. I agree that drawing 3 cards would be fairly automatic if it was only 1 debt per card drawn, unless you are very likely to draw your deck anyway (or barring reshuffle considerations).

Sorry, I misread the card!  It does make the decision about whether to take debt to draw cards tougher and more interesting.  On the other hand, it makes the card less attractive unless there is a scarcity of other villages.       
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 21 queries.