Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: What is your favorite expansion?  (Read 16920 times)

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
What is your favorite expansion?
« on: March 28, 2012, 09:54:21 am »

I apologize if this has been done before (which it probably has), but I was curious to know. Also, please post your favorite card from the expansion that you voted.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
Re: What is your favorite expansion?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 10:24:02 am »

A toss up between Cornucopia and Seaside.  Even though I'm not fond of Tournament, I think I like the overall flavor of Cornucopia more.  Menagerie is my favorite card in the set.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

jaybeez

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: jaybeez
  • Respect: +395
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 12:52:39 pm »

Seaside!  I love Durations: Tactician, Wharf, Fishing Village, Caravan, and Lighthouse are some of my favorite action cards.

Although I've mostly played with Base, Intrigue and Seaside so far; maybe my opinion will change as I get more familiar with the other sets.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 01:08:08 pm »

After some consideration, I chose Intrigue.

I know it's not the most powerful set--in fact, on average, it may have the weakest cards--but it was the first one I owned, and it contains some clear favorites: Masquerade, Nobles, Duke, Steward, Mining Village. Intrigue also gained a lot more relevance with the release of Hinterlands. Between these two sets, they contain most of the alternate VP strategies, and what's more fun than that?
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 01:36:36 pm »

I only own 4, so this is somewhat skewed, but my first instinct was to just vote Seaside as its just so darn different and interesting, but as i sat more and thought about it the more I swayed towards Intrigue, its just got some excellent cards in there.
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 01:47:41 pm »

I'm going to say Hinterlands simply because it changed the strategic thinking required for the game so dramatically. Seaside's duration mechanic is a ton of fun, Alchemy's cards are powerhouses, Prosperity makes for massive games, and Cornucopia rewards creative thinking. But, Hinterlands made the game so much deeper strategically, and it also revitalized cards like Bureaucrat!

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 01:48:56 pm »

Hinterlands. I love engine games and Border Village just makes building engines so easy and fun. Miss the opportunity cost of a silver I THINK NOT! (You miss a gold opportunity but with a good 5 on board BV is normally worth it)
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 02:28:44 pm »

Seaside. Favourite card from that expansion? Ambassador. ;) Plus FV+Wharf is easy mode for engines, and double Tactician is fun.

My favourite card from any expansion is Masquerade, but Intrigue-heavy boards tend to be a bit blah.

Asklepios

• Duke
  • Respect: +116
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 03:07:34 pm »

Alchemy would be my least favourite, mostly because of too many experiences of falling $1 short of a Familiar or University, and the frustration that racing for those cards causes.

The best expansion for me is Hinterlands, just because many of the cards are just so fun to play: Inn and Border Village promote interesting decision making, Tunnel and Highway ask for decks built around them.

Sure, there's the annoying cards too, like Ill-Gotten Gains (and to a lesser extent Jack of All Trades), but even they force us to think about the game in new ways.

timchen

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: allfail
  • Respect: +234
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 01:52:58 am »
+2

Cornucopia and Seaside are my top two choices. Prosperity comes as a close third. The more I play the more I dislike Hinterlands. Alternate VP (especially Silk Road and Garden) strategies are not fun for me. IMO Hinterlands promotes money/VP strategies too much. These things are nontrivial to figure out; the problem is there is hardly a way to figure this out without simulators. Also the variance is larger comparing to engines.

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 03:26:11 am »

My big favorite is cornucopia, simply because I love the variety theme. Menagerie is my favorite card in the game, but I love Horn of plenty and Hunting party too.

After : Seaside and Hinterlands. The duration card theme is cool and I love Island. But also there are some really fun cards in Hinterlands : Inn, Farmland, Scheme, Highway, Crossroads. But my favorite in the set is Silk road, because I love victory cards.
Prosperity is the most popular expansion in BGG, I like it but those I've quoted above are more interesting IMO.

pauley_walnuts

• Salvager
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 10:46:01 am »

I voted for Seaside because I love durations. Whenever Tactician is on the board, I always assess the board around this card. I managed to pull off a double-Tac + Conspirator + a village card against my friends not too long ago, and they were impressed. I do feel weird saying Tactician is my favorite card in that expansion, but it's just so much fun when you get it to work.

I do like a few Alchemy cards, but I can't say it's my favorite expansion. I have implemented APothecary so many times, and I'm finally starting to learn how to use Scrying Pool.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 11:06:17 am »

Seaside has been my favourite expansion for a while. I really enjoy some of it's cards as well as duration cards, and the general next turn theme.

Close behind are Prosperity and Alchemy. What can I say, I'm a sucker for big action chains and megaturn style play. Alchemy is best for it, but Prosperity does something towards it with a good number of enablers.

After those is Hinterlands. I like on-gain and on-buy abilities, and it has some cards which have become my favourites (Scheme, Trader, Tunnel).

Next... probably Base and Intrigue. Neither stands out much to me, both are reasonably decent and have some good cards. I'd say Base>Intrigue as Intrigues attacks are vicious, which I dislike, and none of it's cards really stand out to me.

Finally Cornucopia. I love Horn of Plenty (remember the comment about Megaturns?) but otherwise, dislike the power creep in Cornucopia.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

PerdHapley

• Thief
  • Respect: +39
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2012, 12:16:23 pm »

I've always been a big list-maker, so I've got this order memorized:

1. Cornucopia
-------------
2. Prosperity
3. Seaside
4. Hinterlands
-------------
5. Alchemy
6. Intrigue
7. Base

Cornucopia is just so far and away my number one. It has powerhouse cards at every price level (besides 7, of course, but I'm not sure we'll even see another $7 outside of Prosperity), nothing in it besides Fortune Teller could be considered even remotely weak in most situations, and the only card that I somewhat dislike (Tournament) I loved when the set was released, and has still lead to a ton of really fun, interesting games for me.

It is also the set I feel most comfortable recommending to any new player looking to get into Dominion beyond the base set.

Edit: I feel like I should say, though, that if I liked all of Seaside as much as I love duration cards, it would easily be my number one. But that's less than a third of the set, and the non-orange stuff in there just doesn't stack up for me.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 12:23:03 pm by PerdHapley »

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2012, 02:38:39 pm »
+2

It is also the set I feel most comfortable recommending to any new player looking to get into Dominion beyond the base set.

I'm not trying to make an argument against an opinion, but why is this? I'd say it was one of the worst expansions to get as a first one, perhaps ahead of only Alchemy and maybe Hinterlands (I assume you mean Base game+1 expansion). My reasons being:

The high power cards will lead regularly to games being Cornucopia heavy, as base game is on the whole weaker on average. I don't mean there'll be more Cornucopia cards, just the ones there are will generally be the most important by a moderate margin, which isn't really good in my opinion.

The cards are a reasonable bit more complicated than those in some other expansions, in both effect and strategy. Sure, adding new complex strategy is fun, but as a first expansion, I'd say go for the medium level complexity first.

It's a small expansion and moderately new, meaning it's probably the most expensive expansion per card. Perhaps this is a matter of opinion, but I'd more strongly recommend a better value big box, and add a small box or two when they just want something to keep the game fresh.

So... yeah. In terms of recommending expansions, I'd probably suggest Intrigue first (for the extra base cards - a reasonable number of face to face games are in bigger groups, I find), but if the base cards are unnecessary, probably Seaside next, then Prosperity (Colony and the like are great, but with just Base+Prosperity things get a little top-heavy in terms of cost, I'd say).

If someone were getting two expansions at once though, I'd probably be more willing to recommend Cornucopia... the extra complexity and power surge gets hidden away a little.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

PerdHapley

• Thief
  • Respect: +39
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2012, 04:55:50 pm »
+1

I'm not trying to make an argument against an opinion, but why is this? I'd say it was one of the worst expansions to get as a first one, perhaps ahead of only Alchemy and maybe Hinterlands (I assume you mean Base game+1 expansion).

EDIT: Moved to a more appropriate thread, thanks to Tables. Carry on!

« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 08:41:56 pm by PerdHapley »

Wingnut

• Golem
  • Respect: +75
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2012, 08:55:03 pm »

I like the list idea, so here's mine.

Prosperity - Favorite Card: Monument - I enjoy longer games that force extra thought. Colony and Platinum do this while opening up some longer strategies that can't be considered in a Province game
Hinterlands - Favorite Card: Silk Road - Once, again, different ways of thinking about how to play are cool and I like that BM strategies are revitalized quite a bit here after quite a few expansions that skewed towards engine-building

Seaside - Favorite Card: Tactician - The duration cards are great and I enjoy playing with all of this sets attackers, but everything else is kind of meh.
Cornucopia - Favorite Card: Menagerie (would be higher except I hate the Hunting Party + X strategy) - Super powerful is fun, but not if it's everything. A great supplemental set though.

Base - Favorite Card: Adventurer (I don't care if it's weak, it's fun) - Ho hum fun in a box.
Intrigue - Favorite Card: Steward (really anything but Pawn, I hate that card) - Some good cards, but all the decisions really slow people down and slow games really don't get played all that much IRL in my group.
Alchemy - Favorite Card: Apothecary - Apothecary is one of my favorite cards in all of Dominion, but other than that I could really do without pretty much everything else in this set (ok save Vineyard and University).

Willvon

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +168
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2012, 09:39:05 pm »

I voted for Prosperity.  Though I really like the others also, I purchased Prosperity with the Base game in my original purchase, and from the start I have loved the extra strategy and expansion of the game that Colonies bring to the game. 

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2012, 04:25:10 pm »
+2

Dark Ages.

Unplayed expanions are the best expansions!

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2012, 05:42:59 pm »

DA added.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

aaron0013

• Explorer
  • Respect: +220
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2012, 07:25:15 pm »

Even though I really like the DA cards that are coming out, I have always like Seaside the best.  So many awesome cards not to mention the durations!

Go Wharf!!!!! ;)

Coone

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2012, 08:28:25 pm »
+1

Prosperity, if simply for Bishop, Monument, Goons, Platinum, Kings Court, and Colony.

I love mixing up the victory point strategies, and any kingdom that allows a bishop engine makes me a happy boy.

Though I think it increases the luck factor in most games, I still have to appreciate how crazy Kings Court can be.  One game I had a Kings Courted wharf from the hand before in play, and I drew 2 kings courts, 3 bishops, and plenty of bishop food.  Lasting memories :) ...

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2013, 02:55:33 am »

Having played 1000 Goko DA games, I know for now it is not my favorite expansion. But, I feel that is because I still don't fully grasp some of the cards.

For me, Hinterlands is my favorite. I feel it offers a bit of everything.
Seaside would be my second favorite. I think it is a bit broken, but I feel that Duration cards offer something important to Dominion.
Prosperity is third, but I am not in love with it like some other players here. I feel it is the most unbalanced set in all of Dominion, but KC engines are so darn fun. To be honest though, I mostly like Prosperity for KC and Bank and to a lesser extent Goons. I am indifferent to Colonies. I don't hate them. I don't like them either. They are just there for me. And, yes, I very much realize how they change the strategy of the game.
DA is fourth. DA offers a lot of cards, but man, some of the interactions can get pretty complex. I guess this is a good thing in a way. But, there are many cards I really like such as the Shelters, Knights, Counterfit, Cultist, Spoils, etc. But, man, Rebuild is my least favorite card of all-time at the moment.
Intrigue is fourth. It has some duds like Scouts, but it is not overly broken like Cornucopia or Prosperity. Overall, it has a lot of solid cards, but no amazing cards like HoP or KC
Cornucopia is fifth-HoP is my favorite card, but I feel Tournament is very unbalanced and Hunting Party is a bit overpowered as well.
Alchemy is sixth. I don't have much to say. I like almost every card from Alchemy, and I like how Potions make you weigh whether or not to pursue that card.
Base is seventh.

Qualdrion

• Swindler
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2013, 04:06:29 am »

I really like DA due to all the wacky cards and crazy combos and stuff you can do. Squire is really cool, feodum is cool, junk dealer and band of misfits look awesome though I haven't gotten a game with them in it yet, etc.

Prosperity is also awesome though I'm not the best at playing with those cards. I really dislike mountebank though, but it's only 1 card out of 25.

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2013, 05:12:51 am »

DA is cool yeah (Knights, Feodum, Rogue and Rats are awesome), but not my fav either. It would be probably my second favorite after cornucopia.

Also, I don't understand why people hate Hunting party. HP + X is alays a very interesting strategy, and IRL it does not take so much time.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 21 queries.