Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest 123: Duration? Are You Sure?  (Read 11993 times)

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +459
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest 123: Duration? Are You Sure?
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2021, 07:13:11 am »
+2

For a 5$ action card, you get your usual +2 Cards effect... but you get to pick the two cards anywhere in the deck! I dont know about the powerlevel of this one, but complete draw control seems very powerful, and with its option to be played next turn, that should be very good
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 03:27:34 pm by fika monster »
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

Gardoomalion

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2021, 07:56:10 am »
+2

Hello there, Dominion Strategy Forum users. I was really interested in this Weekly Design Contest, so here is my first card. English is not my native, so I will gladly take any feedback on my wording.

Estate trader
Action - Duration
Cost

+2 Cards
+1 Buy
For the rest of this turn, when you gain a Victory card, you may set aside a card from your deck face down (on this). At the start of your next turn, put those cards into your hand.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 09:56:32 am by Gardoomalion »

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +459
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2021, 09:35:19 am »
+1

Hello there, Dominion Strategy Forum users. I was really interested in this Weekly Design Contest, so here is my first card. English is not my native, so I will gladly take any feedback on my wording.

[width=250 img]https://i.imgur.com/fWteIQr.png[/img]
Estate trader
Action - Duration
Cost
+2 Cards
+1 Buy
For the rest of this turn, when you gain a Victory card, you may set aside a card from your deck face down (on this). At the start of your next turn, put those cards into your hand.

you can make the images smaller on this website by writing, for example Width=250    in the parenthesis before the image link  [width=250 img ]https://i.imgur.com/fWteIQr.png[/img]

on the wording: i think it looks and sound good. powerwise, this is probably pretty strong, but it doesnt seem owerpowered.
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2021, 11:06:15 am »
+1

Estate trader
Action - Duration
Cost

+2 Cards
+1 Buy

You don't need "for the rest of." That's implied (see Bridge, Livery, and Inventor).
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2021, 04:01:55 pm »
+1

Estate trader
Action - Duration
Cost

+2 Cards
+1 Buy

The wording is ambiguous. I guess you intend "you may draw a card and set it aside" and not that you can look through your deck and pick a card of your choice.

I'm pretty sure "from your deck" means "from the top of your deck" unless otherwise specified. Otherwise, both Scrying Pool and Golem (which only say to "reveal cards from your deck" rather than "reveal cards from the top of your deck") would allow you to reveal cards from anywhere in your deck.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Gardoomalion

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2021, 12:02:36 pm »

You don't need "for the rest of." That's implied (see Bridge, Livery, and Inventor).
I'm pretty sure "from your deck" means "from the top of your deck" unless otherwise specified. Otherwise, both Scrying Pool and Golem (which only say to "reveal cards from your deck" rather than "reveal cards from the top of your deck") would allow you to reveal cards from anywhere in your deck.
Thanks

Estate trader v 0.2
Action - Duration
Cost
+2 Cards
+1 Buy
This turn, when you gain a Victory card, you may set aside a top card of your deck face down (on this). At the start of your next turn, put those cards into your hand.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2021, 12:15:19 pm »

Thanks

Estate trader v 0.2
Action - Duration
Cost
+2 Cards
+1 Buy
This turn, when you gain a Victory card, you may set aside a top card of your deck face down (on this). At the start of your next turn, put those cards into your hand.

My second comment was refuting segura's statement that it should say "from the top of," not agreeing with it. The previous wording was fine except for the unnecessary "for the rest of." In fact, this wording is now grammatically incorrect, so it should either be "you may set aside the top card of your deck" or go back to "you may set aside a card from your deck."

arowdok

• Spy
  • Respect: +129
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2021, 12:51:11 pm »

Blockade Runner $3
Action - Duration
Either now or at the start of your next turn, +$2.
---
While this is in play, when you gain a card, either trash that card or put it onto your deck.
---
Set up phase: Each player adds an Embargo token to a Supply pile.(For the rest of the game, when a player buys a card from that pile, they gain a Curse.)

MochaMoko

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: MochaMoko
  • Respect: +123
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2021, 08:06:52 pm »
+1

Call to Arms
⑤ Action - Duration

You may play a non-Duration
Action from your hand twice.

Trash a card from your hand.
If it's an Action, set the card
you played aside (on this).
If you did, at the start of your
next turn, play it twice.

It's a Throne Room that trashes cards. If you activate it, it stays to do another song and dance at the start of your next turn.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 08:17:12 pm by MochaMoko »

AJL828

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJL828
  • Respect: +394
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2021, 10:46:45 pm »
+1

Late posting this again (sorry)

24 hour submission warning! Make sure your submission are in and updated before 9 PM EST tomorrow!

(which is really in about 22 hours)
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

mathdude

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2021, 11:03:57 pm »

This sounds complex, but it's really quite simple - a non-terminal, trashing, conditional duration, handsize-reduction attack:

Revolutionist
Action- Attack-Duration, $4

+1 Card
+1 Action
You may trash a card from your hand. If you do, at the start of your next turn, +1 Card, each other player with 4 or more cards in hand discards 1.

This is great for clearing your early junk and attacking at the same time, but once you clear the junk, it's a boring, expensive cantrip with no benefit, and is a liability if you have terminal draw.
he/him

spheremonk

• Bishop
  • Respect: +206
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2021, 11:44:56 pm »
+4

lompeluiten

• Bishop
  • Respect: +79
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2021, 01:59:31 am »
+4

Not bad, but allow me to make an suggestion to improve(?): “Look at the top 4 cards of your deck. Put any number of them in your hand and the rest under this card.At the start of your nexty turn put them in your hand”

This flows a bit better in my opinion and slightly more fun to play.

I think your version if you will generally choose all this turn or all next turn.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 07:13:59 am by lompeluiten »

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 03, 2021, 04:17:15 am »

This is strictly better than Hunting Grounds, except for the latter's on-trash ability.

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 03, 2021, 10:13:03 am »
+2

This sounds complex, but it's really quite simple - a non-terminal, trashing, conditional duration, handsize-reduction attack:

Revolutionist

+1 Card
+1 Action
You may trash a card from your hand. If you do, at the start of your next turn, +1 Card, each other player with 4 or more cards in hand discards 1.

This is great for clearing your early junk and attacking at the same time, but once you clear the junk, it's a boring, expensive cantrip with no benefit, and is a liability if you have terminal draw.

Wouldn't "Revolutionary" be the more commonly used word? While I'm not sure that a pure cantrip trasher is too strong at $4 (there was a recent discussion about that here), a cantrip optional trasher might be. The other problem that I see with this card is that you always want the Duration effect to trigger. The +1 Card on the following turn is far better than a cantrip (which does nothing), so there is little incentive not to trash. What might be more interesting is if you gave the choice of +$1 this turn or trash a card and +$1 next turn. (The problem there is I have no idea how to price that, as you run into issues with Junk Dealer; it might need dynamic pricing or an on-gain effect).

I have designed cards like this, and they raise a question (which I do not believe arises in any official card's design), which is this: do you have to choose the number of cards you want to draw, then draw them all at once? Or can you draw one at a time, and decide after each (until you reach 4) if you want to draw another card this turn or draw the rest next turn? The latter ability is significantly better than the former.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 03, 2021, 12:32:43 pm »
+1

This is strictly better than Hunting Grounds, except for the latter's on-trash ability.

Hunting Grounds is weak and more importantly, as you point out, it has an on-trash ability and thus isn't actually strictly worse. If Hunting Grounds didn't have its on-trash effect, I'd agree that this couldn't cost , but neither one is actually strictly worse or better than the other.

I have designed cards like this, and they raise a question (which I do not believe arises in any official card's design), which is this: do you have to choose the number of cards you want to draw, then draw them all at once? Or can you draw one at a time, and decide after each (until you reach 4) if you want to draw another card this turn or draw the rest next turn? The latter ability is significantly better than the former.

With cards like Cellar and Chapel, you decide the number up front; you don't get to trash Cultist and then trash one of the cards you drew. I'd rule the same way about Harbor, that you decide up front.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 12:36:31 pm by Gubump »

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2021, 12:41:24 pm »
+2

Hunting Grounds is weak and more importantly, as you point out, it has an on-trash ability and thus isn't actually strictly worse. If Hunting Grounds didn't have its on-trash effect, I'd agree that this couldn't cost , but neither one is actually strictly worse or better than the other.

Not strictly better, but Harbor does look way better than Hunting Grounds because of its flexibility.  If you don’t want to trigger a shuffle (or draw cards dead) or are already drawing your deck, you can bank +Cards for your next turn, which is pretty nice in any kingdom.  There is the downside of staying out of your deck for your next turn that Duration cards generally have, but overall this looks very strong.

I also have the same question that emtzalex has about whether you have to decide how many cards you want to draw before you look at them.  I’m assuming you do because otherwise this would be overpowered at $6 IMO.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 12:43:19 pm by Timinou »

mathdude

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 03, 2021, 12:54:36 pm »

Revolutionist

+1 Card
+1 Action

Wouldn't "Revolutionary" be the more commonly used word? While I'm not sure that a pure cantrip trasher is too strong at $4 (there was a recent discussion about that here), a cantrip optional trasher might be. The other problem that I see with this card is that you always want the Duration effect to trigger. The +1 Card on the following turn is far better than a cantrip (which does nothing), so there is little incentive not to trash. What might be more interesting is if you gave the choice of +$1 this turn or trash a card and +$1 next turn. (The problem there is I have no idea how to price that, as you run into issues with Junk Dealer; it might need dynamic pricing or an on-gain effect).

We use Revolutionary as the person (noun), commonly, but it can also be an adjective describing a person, idea, etc. Revolutionist strictly refers to the person.

Regarding the choice to always trash... yes, to maximize the card's benefit, you want to. But by midgame, there are times you have a hand with no cards you want to trash. I've had more than a few times that I didn't play a Junk Dealer because unless I drew junk, I didn't want to have to trash something.

Maybe the attack added on just makes it too strong then.
he/him

Gardoomalion

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 03, 2021, 01:11:05 pm »

I've made a second card for this contest. You can participate with two cards, can you?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 03:53:46 pm by Gardoomalion »

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 03, 2021, 01:30:12 pm »
+3

I've made a second card for this contest. You can participate with two cards, can you?
You can only submit one card.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

lompeluiten

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 03, 2021, 01:37:27 pm »

Revolutionist

+1 Card
+1 Action

We use Revolutionary as the person (noun), commonly, but it can also be an adjective describing a person, idea, etc. Revolutionist strictly refers to the person.

Regarding the choice to always trash... yes, to maximize the card's benefit, you want to. But by midgame, there are times you have a hand with no cards you want to trash. I've had more than a few times that I didn't play a Junk Dealer because unless I drew junk, I didn't want to have to trash something.

To me this card does not follow the chalange. It is not the choise “now or next turn”. The choice is: “is there anything i want to trash”

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 03, 2021, 02:14:28 pm »
+1

Revolutionist

+1 Card
+1 Action

To me this card does not follow the chalange. It is not the choise “now or next turn”. The choice is: “is there anything i want to trash”

With that logic, Sawmill doesn't qualify either because the choice is "do I want this to be non-terminal or terminal," and Copycat doesn't qualify because the choice is frequently "do I want to pass up playing an Action to possibly gain a better Action." All three qualify for the same reason, which is that their staying out is optional.

Revolutionist staying out is tied to whether you trash or not, and it gives you the choice of whether or not it trashes, so it does in fact give you the choice of whether it stays out or not.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 02:16:12 pm by Gubump »

mathdude

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2021, 02:49:10 pm »
+1

Revolutionist

+1 Card
+1 Action

All the discussion has made me want to change my card a bit to make the choice an actual choice (rather than "do I have something i want to trash or not?)

Revolutionist
Action- Duration, $5

+1 Card
+1 Action
You may trash a card from your hand. If you don't, at the start of your next turn, +1 Card and trash a card from your hand. 

Edit: updated again
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 05:25:46 pm by mathdude »
he/him

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2021, 02:51:13 pm »
+5

Revolutionist

+1 Card
+1 Action

All the discussion has made me want to change my card a bit to make the choice an actual choice (rather than "do I have something i want to trash or not?)

Revolutionist
Action- Duration, $4

+1 Card
+1 Action
You may trash a card from your hand. If you don't, at the start of your next turn, +1 Card.

This is significantly less powerful than the previous version, and I'd want to price it down at $3, but then I think it's too obvious to open with 2 of them most of the time. So it stays at $4. Does it need a buff?

If you don't trash, this is the same as Caravan. This is basically "choose one: Caravan or cantrip trasher", so it's strictly better than Caravan at the same price.

lompeluiten

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 03, 2021, 04:00:53 pm »

Revolutionist

+1 Card
+1 Action

Revolutionist
Action- Duration, $4

+1 Card
+1 Action
You may trash a card from your hand. If you don't, at the start of your next turn, +1 Card.

This is significantly less powerful than the previous version, and I'd want to price it down at $3, but then I think it's too obvious to open with 2 of them most of the time. So it stays at $4. Does it need a buff?

If you don't trash, this is the same as Caravan. This is basically "choose one: Caravan or cantrip trasher", so it's strictly better than Caravan at the same price.
I think i still want to buy 1 or 2 of them on $5. It trashes, and when you are done trashing it provides engine power. It isn't an dead card like some other trashers.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 21 queries.