Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest 123: Duration? Are You Sure?  (Read 12125 times)

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +582
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest 123: Duration? Are You Sure?
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2021, 05:39:09 pm »

Information Broker - $5
Action - Duration
+2 Cards
+1 Action
Either now or at the start of your next turn, if you have no Debt, +2 Cards and take 4 Debt.

A Smithy+. Either you take the debt the same turn to have it be non-terminal with an extra draw, or you delay the debt to get an extra card and action on the following turn. I wanted the debt cost to be significant enough to make it a real choice to take the turn you play Information Broker or not. I am not sure how successful I was. I imagine it will be much more powerful later in the game when the average value in your deck is higher. Please let me know what you think, feedback is appreciated.

Edit: Bumped up the price to $6 since it is a non-terminal Hunting Grounds with a drawback. If it seems too good still I will mess with the rest of it.

Edit 2: Changed to be a dedicated Lab+. The bonus wording now prevents you from doubling up on the cards for debt exchange on a given turn. Delaying the bonus can actually be more beneficial now as it is a non-terminal Smithy at the start of your turn, but you need to have no Debt and cannot trigger it more than once.

Old Versions
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 07:03:54 pm by Xen3k »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1683
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2021, 05:46:02 pm »

Information Broker - $5
Action - Duration
+3 Cards
Either now or at the start of your next turn, +1 Card, +1 Action, and take 4 Debt.

A Smithy+. Either you take the debt the same turn to have it be non-terminal with an extra draw, or you delay the debt to get an extra card and action on the following turn. I wanted the debt cost to be significant enough to make it a real choice to take the turn you play Information Broker or not. I am not sure how successful I was. I imagine it will be much more powerful later in the game when the average value in your deck is higher. Please let me know what you think, feedback is appreciated.

Imo, +4 Cards, +1 Action, take is already super strong for even without the ability to delay part of its effects to next turn.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +582
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2021, 06:40:44 pm »

Information Broker - $5
Action - Duration
+3 Cards
Either now or at the start of your next turn, +1 Card, +1 Action, and take 4 Debt.

Imo, +4 Cards, +1 Action, take is already super strong for even without the ability to delay part of its effects to next turn.

Yeah, I was not sure if the debt was enough of a deterrent. I could just drop the Extra card draw to nerf it a bit.

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2021, 01:00:10 am »

I've updated my entry:

Novice is a delayed, terminal Apprentice that allows you to trash up to two cards. 
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 01:05:37 am by Timinou »

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1792
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2021, 01:01:59 am »
+1

Information Broker - $5
Action - Duration
+3 Cards

Edit: Bumped up the price to $6 since it is a non-terminal Hunting Grounds with a drawback. If it seems too good still I will mess with the rest of it.

At $6, this card seems fine power-level wise to me, overall. However, it would be overpowered on boards where you can use gainers and ignore the debt from playing multiple Information Brokers each turn. Those boards are probably fairly uncommon, but it still seems like a concern. I had an "if you have no debt" condition on a card from a prior contest in part because of this issue.

Indebted Blacksmith 
Action
+3 cards. If you have no , +3 actions and take .

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2021, 01:16:41 am »
+3

I've updated my entry:

Novice is a delayed, terminal Apprentice that allows you to trash up to two cards.

1. Is it intentional that this behaves wonky with cards that don't cost purely ? For example, if I set aside a Transmute and a Copper, this would wait until next turn to trash them (because + = =/= ) even though it doesn't draw anything. If not, it should say "if their total cost in ..."

2. This could be worded more simply: "Set aside up to 2 cards from your hand (on this). If their total cost in $ is $0, trash them. Otherwise, at the start of your next turn, trash them and +1 Card per they cost."
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2127
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2021, 01:34:11 am »
+3

Rules clarification: The card stays in play until the next time any player plays an Action, which might be on your turn, another player's turn, your next turn, the turn after that, etc. Once a player plays an Action, you gain a copy of it (if you can). Then you discard it from play during that turn's clean up phase (as it has completed all of its effects).

What happens when the next Action card played is a non-supply card?

Same as Kiln - you gain nothing. You still discard Copycat from play at the end of that turn (the thing the Duration was waiting for was "the next time any player plays an Action card")

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2127
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2021, 12:01:42 pm »
+1

I've updated my entry:

I like the design of this a lot compared to Research, but why not just make it "Choose one: Trash now; or trash next turn for +1 Card per $". That solves the issue of non $ costs acting weird.

lompeluiten

• Bishop
  • Respect: +79
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2021, 03:18:03 pm »

Skipper | Action - Duration | $5
You may play an Action card from your hand.
Choose one: play it again, or set it aside and play it at the start of your next turn.
-
This is gained to your deck (instead of your Discard pile)

Lovely card, but like (almost) all card doubling effects do have something to do with royalty? Shouldn't this one to?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 03:19:06 pm by lompeluiten »

lompeluiten

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2021, 03:20:56 pm »
+4

Wood Sculpter $5
Action - Duration
Either now or an the start of your next turn gain an card costing 4 or less to your hand.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1353
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2021, 10:31:05 am »
+1

Changing out my entry, after having slept on it a minute.

Sovereign • $5 • Action - Duration
You may play a non-Duration Action from your hand twice. You may set it aside if there's a copy of it in the Supply, to play it twice at the start of your next turn.

Until then, the first time another player plays a copy of the set aside card on their turn, they play it again afterwards.

Now and later throne room. The 'later' only works if it's a supply card with some still available - no double-double on patricians once they're gone, knights, prizes, necropoli, etc. However the drawback is your opponents get throne effects on that card until your next turn too.

Adapted from a card (Sultan) that gubump posted in the discord.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 03:07:27 pm by spineflu »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2021, 01:43:03 pm »
+1

You may play a non-Duration Action from your hand twice. If there's a copy of it in the Supply, you may set it aside and at the start of your next turn, play it twice.

Until then, the first time another player plays a copy of the set aside card on their turn, they play it again afterwards.

Now and later throne room. The 'later' only works if it's a supply card with some still available - no double-double on patricians once they're gone, knights, prizes, necropoli, etc. However the drawback is your opponents get throne effects on that card until your next turn too.

"If there's a copy of it in the Supply, you may set it aside..." makes it sound like you set aside the copy that's in the Supply.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1353
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2021, 02:04:22 pm »

You may play a non-Duration Action from your hand twice. If there's a copy of it in the Supply, you may set it aside and at the start of your next turn, play it twice.

"If there's a copy of it in the Supply, you may set it aside..." makes it sound like you set aside the copy that's in the Supply.

better?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 02:19:43 pm by spineflu »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2021, 02:56:35 pm »
+1

better?

Yep, better.

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2021, 05:10:07 pm »

1. Is it intentional that this behaves wonky with cards that don't cost purely ? For example, if I set aside a Transmute and a Copper, this would wait until next turn to trash them (because + = =/= ) even though it doesn't draw anything. If not, it should say "if their total cost in ..."

2. This could be worded more simply: "Set aside up to 2 cards from your hand (on this). If their total cost in $ is $0, trash them. Otherwise, at the start of your next turn, trash them and +1 Card per they cost."

I like the design of this a lot compared to Research, but why not just make it "Choose one: Trash now; or trash next turn for +1 Card per $". That solves the issue of non $ costs acting weird.

Thanks for the feedback!  I liked your suggestions and have reworded Novice:

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2021, 06:48:23 pm »

I'm highly considering this change for Skipper:

Play an Action card from your hand up to two times. If you played it once, set aside a copy of that card from the Supply under this. At the start of your next turn, play the set aside card and return it to the Supply.
Now Skipper can unambiguously re-play Duration cards. Okay, well there still is some ambiguity.
  • Turn 10: you Skipper Wharf α  (choosing to play it once), you get +2 cards this turn and set aside a Wharf β from the Supply.
  • Turn 11 you get +2 cards from the Wharf α you played, then you play the Wharf β that is set aside for another +2 cards, then you return that Wharf β to the Supply
  • on Turn 12 you have no Wharves in play, but you still get +2 cards from Wharf β, if you remember to do so. This is a tricky case but it already exists in Dominion (see: Bonfire)

But I think this is still much less confusing than the original phrasing what would happen if you played Wharf. The same card is being played again while still in play? Awkward.

These changes also has the affect of "holding" onto a card from the Supply. There's only one Lost City left and I don't want you to gain it, I can then play my Lost City once, then set aside the last one from the Supply. At the start of my turn I play a lost City, return it to the supply and it's ready for me to buy this turn. It's also stronger because next turn I have the chance to draw the card next turn and still play it, along with the copy from the Supply I played.

With these changes, there isn't room for gain to deck.

Thoughts? Is this an actual improvement in card quality?

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2021, 07:29:35 pm »

Play an Action card from your hand up to two times. If you played it once, set aside a copy of that card from the Supply under this. At the start of your next turn, play the set aside card and return it to the Supply.
Now Skipper can unambiguously re-play Duration cards. Okay, well there still is some ambiguity.
  • Turn 10: you Skipper Wharf α  (choosing to play it once), you get +2 cards this turn and set aside a Wharf β from the Supply.
  • Turn 11 you get +2 cards from the Wharf α you played, then you play the Wharf β that is set aside for another +2 cards, then you return that Wharf β to the Supply
  • on Turn 12 you have no Wharves in play, but you still get +2 cards from Wharf β, if you remember to do so. This is a tricky case but it already exists in Dominion (see: Bonfire)

But I think this is still much less confusing than the original phrasing what would happen if you played Wharf. The same card is being played again while still in play? Awkward.

These changes also has the affect of "holding" onto a card from the Supply. There's only one Lost City left and I don't want you to gain it, I can then play my Lost City once, then set aside the last one from the Supply. At the start of my turn I play a lost City, return it to the supply and it's ready for me to buy this turn. It's also stronger because next turn I have the chance to draw the card next turn and still play it, along with the copy from the Supply I played.

Setting aside a copy from the Supply that gets returned immediately after it's played anyway seems largely pointless most of the time imo; that very rarely really accomplishes anything different from how it currently works, except allowing you to redraw the played card. This change would also have the unintended consequence of trashing one-shots from the Supply (e.g. the copy of Pillage that was set aside from the Supply would trash itself as part of playing it, and then Stop-Moving would prevent it from being returned to the Supply). Otoh, the current wording doesn't work at all with one-shots, so maybe it's a good change if you really want it to work on those?

lompeluiten

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2021, 01:39:22 am »

Setting aside a copy from the Supply that gets returned immediately after it's played anyway seems largely pointless most of the time imo; that very rarely really accomplishes anything different from how it currently works, except allowing you to redraw the played card. This change would also have the unintended consequence of trashing one-shots from the Supply (e.g. the copy of Pillage that was set aside from the Supply would trash itself as part of playing it, and then Stop-Moving would prevent it from being returned to the Supply). Otoh, the current wording doesn't work at all with one-shots, so maybe it's a good change if you really want it to work on those?

Are there teo cards named skipper? Inrecalled skipper is the first entry doing something different

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2021, 09:36:17 am »
+1

IMO, the setting aside from the Supply introduces a drawback of losing the Delay option for non-Supply cards and those with empty Supply piles.  It’s not clear to me if being able to draw and play the Skippered card again makes up for that.

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2021, 11:15:32 am »

Imitation
cost $6 - Action - Duration
You may play an Action card from your hand. If you do, choose one: replay it; or set it aside, at the start of your next turn, discard it and gain a copy of it into your hand.

A 6-cost Kiln! You can copy another Duration card like Mastermind.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 06:27:25 pm by majiponi »

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5159
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2021, 11:50:18 am »
+3

Imitation
You may play an Action card from your hand. If you do, choose one: replay it; or set it aside, at the start of your next turn, discard it and gain a copy of it into your hand.

This has a somewhat problematic interaction with Hireling.

Also, the gaining should probably be dependent upon successfully setting the card aside, otherwise it may cause tracking issues with one-shots.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2021, 06:27:01 pm »

Imitation

This has a somewhat problematic interaction with Hireling.

Also, the gaining should probably be dependent upon successfully setting the card aside, otherwise it may cause tracking issues with one-shots.

How about this?
Imitation
You may play an Action card from your hand. If you do, choose one: replay it; or leave it into play until the start of your next turn, to gain a copy of it into your hand.

If you play Smithy with Imitation, Smithy stays in play this turn, gain another Smithy at the start of your next turn, and is discarded next turn's Clean-up.
If you play Embargo with Imitation, Imitation fails.
If you play Hireling with Imitation, Hireling stays in play.

Freddy10

• Thief
  • Respect: +153
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2021, 11:21:34 pm »
+3

Merchant Wagon $4
Action - Duration

+1 Action
Choose one: Discard any number of cards, then draw that many; or at the start of your next turn: +2 Cards
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 01:22:07 am by Freddy10 »
Who trashes the trashers?

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2021, 11:55:10 pm »
+1

I assume that's supposed to be Merchant Wagon?

Freddy10

• Thief
  • Respect: +153
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2021, 01:22:47 am »

I assume that's supposed to be Merchant Wagon?
Ups, thanks!
Who trashes the trashers?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 20 queries.