Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest 122: That Other Way of Drawing  (Read 11594 times)

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
Weekly Design Contest 122: That Other Way of Drawing
« on: July 17, 2021, 02:42:58 pm »
+8

Weekly Design Contest 122: That Other Way of Drawing

Either design a draw-to-X card, or a card that helps activate a draw-to-X engine.

Draw-to-X is fun. Took me a couple of years to realize that. Man, screw +Cards or w/e. Drawing in Dominion's good and all, but draw-to-X is fun. What is draw-to-X? "Draw-to-x abilities are those that allow you to draw cards until you have a specified number of cards in your hand, regardless of how many cards you have to start with." I quoted the wiki. See here for more details.

This contest offers you two choices. Either you make an actual draw-to-X card, such as Watchtower, Way of the Owl, Library or Cursed Village; or you make a card that helps you activate a draw-to-X engine, such as Oasis, Native Village, Festival or Coven. Basically, a non-terminal stop card would qualify. Or a card that makes you discard stuff from your hand for a bonus such as Artificer, that's cool too. I'm a little more torn on terminal discarding Action cards such as Vault, because they require a Village first for you to play your draw-to-X card after discarding stuff. So you know. Try to avoid that, I suppose. In case of doubt, I will let you guys know. So no silly surprises before the deadline.  ;)

Some extra rules include:
  • Please guys, just make one card, okay? I will not hesitate to say a particular entry does not qualify if I see more than one card in one post. So, no out-of-Supply shenanigans, no Travellers, no split piles...
  • Uh, well, I guess that was the only rule.
Judging will be done in a week. Expect it around next Saturday (21-07-24), around perhaps 8:00 PM EDT. EDIT: Judging date postponed by a day. It will be done on next Sunday (21-07-25) around 8:00 PM.
K thx have fun bai.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 06:38:50 pm by X-tra »
Bottom text

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest 122: That Other Way of Drawing
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2021, 02:55:00 pm »

Does an Artifact count as "more than one card in one post?" Or would that qualify?
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2021, 03:08:26 pm »
+1

Does an Artifact count as "more than one card in one post?" Or would that qualify?

Yeah, no Artifacts either please. A simple Kingdom Supply card, or a simple Landscape (an Event/Way or Project, probably) shall do the trick for this week's contest.  :)
Bottom text

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
+1

Odd-Jobber • $3 • Action
+1 Action
Choose one:
Play up to 3 Treasures from your hand; or Draw until you have 5 cards in hand.

If you have an odd number of Treasures in play, +1 Buy.

i guess mine does both things. Sort of a variant on the thing I entered in contests 40 and 80. It's two contests late for its revival, but I blame that on having to judge #120. I've dialed it back a bit. What if Market but it requires way more farting around to work (but also much cheaper)(and the coins on market come from you playing your treasures).
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 01:11:33 pm by spineflu »

AJL828

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJL828
  • Respect: +394
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2021, 03:49:09 pm »
+9

Action - Duration ($6)
Sheriff
Now and at the start of your next turn: Discard 2 cards, then draw until you have 7 cards in hand.

Library + Wharf! It costs $6 because it's clearly much better than Library is. One of these can also set up your next turn better than Wharf can, but this can't be stacked to quite the same level of effectiveness (since you'll still only wind up with 7 cards by the end).

Hope you like it :) (Yay! Finally did the image thing right by myself this time :P )
« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 04:02:26 pm by AJL828 »
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2021, 04:21:26 pm »
+9

Facilitates DtX in two ways: 1. Non-terminal Village that doesn't draw, and 2. it can get rid of junk from on top of your deck in order to help make sure your DtX card draws good cards instead of rubbish.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2021, 05:53:17 am »

Refuge
Action $5

+1 Action
+1 Buy

Exile from 1 to 3 differently named cards from your hand.

Notes
- Exiling cards has a nice synergy with draw to X engines. Unless you are playing a megaturn strategy, you are going to have to address or accept the problem of victory cards taking up valuable hand space in the latter stages of the game. Exiling them is one way to solve this.
- There are no official cards that allow you to exile multiple differently named cards from your hand. I decided to go down this path.
- I think a non-terminal that allowed you to exile as few or as many cards as you want would be overpowered. I decided to borrow the trashing restrictions from Temple as I find them interesting.
- I decided to put a +buy on the card. It adds another engine component when viewing it as a draw to X enabler.

* Update to cost 5 following feedback.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 02:25:19 am by xyz123 »

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2021, 06:08:13 am »

Do cards like Scholar count for this contest?
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2021, 10:07:00 am »
+6

Here is my submission this week. Tome is a simple twist on more traditional draw-to-X Actions, this time as a Treasure. Treasures are normally the bane of DtX engines since you usually can't get them out of your hand before playing your next draw card, but Tome doesn't mind them: just play your hand of Treasures before playing Tome to maximize your draw, and then you can play any additional Treasures you draw (including chaining together other Tomes). Obviously, the non-terminal draw and economy come at the cost of dead-drawing Actions during your Buy phase. You also need to watch out for having too many cards in your hand when playing this, otherwise it's just a $5 Copper. These downsides aside though, with a bit of ingenuity and the right support (especially +Buy and other powerful Kingdom Treasures) Tome can allow for some really unique types of DtX engines that simply aren't possible with Library and company. 

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2021, 10:27:24 am »
+1

Peon
$3
Action
Choose either: Draw until you have 6 cards in hand; or +2 Actions and +$1.

It's your Draw to X card, and your +Actions in one, but neither function is very good on its own. My original version gave +2 Cards instead and cost $2. With the change to "draw to 6," it now combos much better with itself so a cost of $2 would be too low.

I also clarified the wording per LastFootnote’s suggestion. Thanks!

Original:
Peon
$2
Action
Choose either: +2 Cards; or +2 Actions and +$1. 
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 11:48:59 pm by JW »

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2021, 01:16:19 pm »
+5

Wizard's Tower - $4
Action - Victory
+2 Cards
+1 Action
Reveal your hand and discard all Victory cards and cards costing $0.
----
1VP

A Lab that forces you to discard cards after drawing. This does not combo with itself like Labs normally do, and will usually benefit Draw to X cards by getting rid of the junk from your hand after drawing the 2 cards. Gets stronger the later the game goes and can act more like a normal lab if trashing is readily available. When compared to Mill, it is probably not as consistently strong, but I think it gets better as the game goes along and can benefit Draw to X cards more. Feedback is appreciated.

Freddy10

• Thief
  • Respect: +151
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2021, 02:41:32 pm »
+6

A cross between Library and Council Room that allows your opponents to discard cards for their benefit.
Council of elders
Action - $5 

+1 Buy
All players (including you) may discard a card
Draw until you have 7 cards in hand.
Who trashes the trashers?

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2021, 02:49:01 pm »
+4

Flywheel (Action, $5)

Trash a card from your hand.
Draw until you have 6 cards in hand.

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2021, 02:59:15 pm »
+6

My Submission:

Quote from: Clock of the Time Dragon
CLOCK OF THE TIME DRAGON  $5
ACTION
Discard a card. If it was a Treasure, +2 Actions, +$2. If it wasn't, draw until you have 6 cards in hand.

he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2021, 04:01:41 pm »
+3

Refuge
Action $3

+1 Action
+1 Buy

Exile from 1 to 3 differently named cards from your hand.

Notes
- Exiling cards has a nice synergy with draw to X engines. Unless you are playing a megaturn strategy, you are going to have to address or accept the problem of victory cards taking up valuable hand space in the latter stages of the game. Exiling them is one way to solve this.
- There are no official cards that allow you to exile multiple differently named cards from your hand. I decided to go down this path.
- I think a non-terminal that allowed you to exile as few or as many cards as you want would be overpowered. I decided to borrow the trashing restrictions from Temple as I find them interesting.
- I decided to put a +buy on the card. It adds another engine component when viewing it as a draw to X enabler.

This is way better than Temple imo. Sure, Temple also scores, but this is non-terminal, so you don't need to spend your precious Actions using it, and Exiling is way better than trashing most of the time since you can Exile your Victory cards without losing points; Temple breaks even on VP most of the time since it usually trashes at least one Estate. I think this is strong enough to cost . The benefits over Temple severely outweigh the negatives imo.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 04:03:02 pm by Gubump »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2021, 04:16:15 pm »
+4

Here is my submission this week. Tome is a simple twist on more traditional draw-to-X Actions, this time as a Treasure. Treasures are normally the bane of DtX engines since you usually can't get them out of your hand before playing your next draw card, but Tome doesn't mind them: just play your hand of Treasures before playing Tome to maximize your draw, and then you can play any additional Treasures you draw (including chaining together other Tomes). Obviously, the non-terminal draw and economy come at the cost of dead-drawing Actions during your Buy phase. You also need to watch out for having too many cards in your hand when playing this, otherwise it's just a $5 Copper. These downsides aside though, with a bit of ingenuity and the right support (especially +Buy and other powerful Kingdom Treasures) Tome can allow for some really unique types of DtX engines that simply aren't possible with Library and company.

I like its simplicity, but it feels like a very monolithic card. It's like a much stronger Venture, which admittedly isn't saying much. But this really says, "Avoid Actions!" You want to draw Treasures, including more Tomes.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2021, 04:18:00 pm »
+1

Peon
$2
Action
Choose either: +2 Cards; or +2 Actions, +$1.

You can’t draw cards with Peon alone, but you can do so by combining it with either a Smithy variant, (even better) a Draw to X card, or a drawing Village, and its flexibility helps to avoid duds.

Both for clarity and for consistency with (most) existing cards, the second choice should probably read "+2 Actions and +$1".

kru5h

• Duke
  • Respect: +372
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2021, 10:02:17 pm »
+2

Bookstore

You may spend an action to discard cards you don't want first. No +actions this game? You can still play it at the start of your turn if it's in your starting hand, then you have a spare action as well.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 08:59:44 pm by kru5h »

lompeluiten

• Bishop
  • Respect: +79
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2021, 07:16:57 am »

Book Seller
$4
Action - Reaction
+1 action
draw until you have 5 cards in hand
-
If you discard this card, draw up to 5 cards in hand afterwards

This card would feed action engines quite nicely, while on it's own only an replacement. With one action played it is an laboratory.

The Alchemist

• Golem
  • Respect: +214
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2021, 07:28:15 am »
+2

Aww I've been waiting for months to win a WDC so I could do DtX!!! I was going to name it "Quick on the Draw" darn you X-tra!!!
"

spheremonk

• Bishop
  • Respect: +206
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2021, 08:00:39 am »
+2

A simple, but sneaky, Way (and death to hand-size attacks) – useful in some spots, but mostly not once you get an engine going.

lompeluiten

• Bishop
  • Respect: +79
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2021, 08:36:05 am »
+6

A simple, but sneaky, Way (and death to hand-size attacks) – useful in some spots, but mostly not once you get an engine going.
He, that is my idea but in a way instead of an action XD

But this way is not useless once you get an engine going: It can be your engine. You can make an engine out of Chaining festivals. Village, terminal action and any following action is an Laboratory. Chaining Cellars/Warehouses become even more useful to sculpt your perfect hand. You greatly underestimates the power level of this way.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 09:09:55 am by lompeluiten »

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2021, 10:29:51 am »

Do cards like Scholar count for this contest?

Sorry for the late reply, but I'd prefer not to see these kind of "draw-to-X" cards. So please, try not to do something akin to Scholar or Way of the Mole.
Bottom text

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2021, 11:27:25 am »

Book Seller
$4
Action - Reaction
+1 action
draw until you have 5 cards in hand
-
If you discard this card, draw up to 5 cards in hand afterwards

This card would feed action engines quite nicely, while on it's own only an replacement. With one action played it is an laboratory.

The proper wording for the Reaction is "when you discard this other than during Clean-up, you may reveal it to draw until you have 5 cards in hand." The current wording doesn't work because it doesn't show the Book Seller to prove you discarded it (whenever you discard multiple cards, only the topmost one is seen), it's mandatory (which is a problem for the same reason as problem 1, i.e. because most discarded cards are invisible to the other players), and it includes discarding it from play (which I'm sure is unintended).
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 11:33:41 am by Gubump »

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2021, 02:36:17 pm »
+1

Corbita
$3 - Action - Duration
+$2
At start of your next turn, reveal and discard any number of Action and Treasure cards for +$1 each.

Without a draw to X support, it's a terminal silver with a small next turn bonus, cheap as it does not stack well. Combo with draw to X as it does not consume an action at start of turn.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 21 queries.