Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Would it be possible to have a "Dominion Labs" section on the Dominion game  (Read 1779 times)

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
  • DSF lowest ratio upvotes-posts 14 yrs & counting
  • Respect: +228
    • View Profile
+2

Anyone who has played with me has probably heard me throw in my philosophical opinions of certain aspects of dominions that I don't Like.  My most frequent is that I kind of hate Black Market and tournament because I find them fundamentally unfair.  The swings are so great with the prizes in Tournament that games are often almost over based on who gets the prize that is most useful in that particular kingdom (ie it lacks, actions, curses, buys, etc).  Same with Black market.  I once got a Fortune on t5.  That game was already over. Or a wall game where one person gets chapel and the other doesn't.  That game is essentially already over.  Because the uniqueness of the cards creates a wild imbalance.  IRL I rectified this by playing "Honkeyfresh's Black AF market" where I set up BM the same, but make TWO decks. One for each.  Then it truly is an easter egg game, where you start seeing cards appear in the other player's deck and get excited knowing what possibilities are out there.  I've also done this with tourney, but the prizes were just defaced coppersmiths that I turned into "Honkeyfresh's  Tourney for Two".  It is SOOOO much more fun and allows you to build the prizes to make a sweet engine, not by saying what do I have to get so that the other player doesn't first.  It would b really neat if somehow this tweak was added to the non rated games section to where you could play with two BM decks/prize piles, as it makes for a really fun, and eminently fairer game.

And many other times i will lament that this deck lacks "actions/buys/trashing/whatever it is".  But what if that could be changed?

We already have have the beginnings of this in the "add kingdom cards" section where you can pick what particular cards you want to be in the deck for non rated games.  What I envision would be options added to the set up area where you could check whichever of these boxes you wanted to be included in the game.

+action, +buy, attack, ensure trashing, guarantee +potion.

And the generator would just make sure that in the 10 cards that each of the conditions requested is met.  You could also do the reverse, as some people really don't like playing with attacks for eg, though i guess for practice for certain other times you could las set a dek to lack + buys, or + actions too.  The point is that you get to essentially set up a deck that you theoretically would have the most fun playing, without actually handpicking the cards each time to fit those parameters.

"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile

FYi I mention this in most of my game logs, and all with either card.  And 99% of the people are on board and have said they are going to do it IRL from now on.  The Black Market/Tourney part, though everyone also loves the "must include  +buy. + draw, attacks (or disable attacks for the 20% or so who hate them), + actions, trashing etc.
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile

I gave you a thumb for the BM/Tournament idea. I think it's a great "fix" to two cards that I dislike (although I don't know if I would ever bother doing it IRL). It would be great to have that option online, but I doubt it will ever be implemented.

The other idea, guaranteeing +buy etc., is not something I'm interested in. I think it's fun, and best, to have random games and have to deal with whatever limitations arise. It makes Dominion more variable and better. There's nothing wrong with having the option online though. The only problem with it is matching; you want to play games with this, I want to play games without it, how will we be matched?

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
+2

If you want to guarantee certain things in a game, I recommend this card randomizer. It's got a whole bunch of customization options, and I use it all the time for IRL games. It has some options to guarantee certain aspects of the game, other options to limit redundancies, and even some options to control the distribution of costs. You can probably randomize a deck and then use the "pick specific cards" feature in the online implementation to use that deck.
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile

I gave you a thumb for the BM/Tournament idea. I think it's a great "fix" to two cards that I dislike (although I don't know if I would ever bother doing it IRL). It would be great to have that option online, but I doubt it will ever be implemented.

The other idea, guaranteeing +buy etc., is not something I'm interested in. I think it's fun, and best, to have random games and have to deal with whatever limitations arise. It makes Dominion more variable and better. There's nothing wrong with having the option online though. The only problem with it is matching; you want to play games with this, I want to play games without it, how will we be matched?

It's not really that much extra work to put two cards in a pile from BM since you are already pulling one of each of them anyway.  For tourney I'd recommend defacing the old "dead" Cards. Chancellor makes a wonderful tranny Princess.  And coppersmith makes for a good "bag of gold". I use stash for the Diadem too. Adventurer for followers is fun too. Plus it's funny to laugh about the old terrible cards that we had to originally play with. 
for the second part "ensuring buys/draw/trashing etc" it would only be for unrated games.  If you didn't want to play in this you could avoid the whole thing just by playing rated games."

But if it got big enough it could even be unrated/rated/labs options available too.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2021, 02:31:30 pm by Honkeyfresh »

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
+1

If you want to guarantee certain things in a game, I recommend this card randomizer. It's got a whole bunch of customization options, and I use it all the time for IRL games. It has some options to guarantee certain aspects of the game, other options to limit redundancies, and even some options to control the distribution of costs. You can probably randomize a deck and then use the "pick specific cards" feature in the online implementation to use that deck.

wow that is really neat.  You would almost think Dominion could somehow incorporate this tool into the labs.

One other thing i kind of like about the "labs" idea would be if you'd even tweak cards/parameters. Maybe even upload your own cards/sets. This would allow some of the people who have built amazing Variants.  FWIW anyone who hasn't checked out the variants/fan cards section you should.  A lot of cool stuff in there!  8)

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=19137.msg774164#msg774164

Though admittedly adding thing like Asper/Co0kieL0rd's amazing concept "Seasons" would present some issues, but I imagine the folks who made those are smart enough to figure out how to do it!

Seasons is an expansion Co0kieL0rd and I did together. In it, you use the Season board above (left), which spans 4 Seasons wih 5 sections each. The Season Token starts on the first section of Spring, and is moved forward after the last player in order did their turn (if you want to be picky, it's actually right before the first in play order does their regular turn). Therefore, Spring marks the opening and early phase, Summer the buildup phase, Autumn the late phase and Winter the part where the game will probably end. The cards do different things depending on the current Season. Use the Season Reminder above (right) to make sure you don't forget to move the token.
The cards in this thread are my re-takes of Seasons. Check out the original cards (some of which are more similar to the current take than others) by following this link.

Sojourner returned to an older version, but the Winter effect has changed.
Snow Witch now gives the Curse in hand, to avoid player order mattering as much.
Peltmonger now gives more money all around, and the buy is also on-call.
Student, Ball Room and Sanitarium didn't change.
Restore now uses the wording that is best in Summer. Untested yet.
Timberland now gets progressively worse, though you can tfb it. Considering there are Castles around now, it might be a bit meh.
Plantation now can only move the token backwards and gives a more straightforward bonus.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2021, 02:23:08 pm by Honkeyfresh »

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 20 queries.