Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #121: All Things Come to an End  (Read 3006 times)

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #121: All Things Come to an End
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2021, 12:32:21 pm »

Great for early gaining of golds or $5 cards.  Terrible for engines later on.  Can't tell if this is way too good or terrible, so I'm hoping that means it's just right.
Clarification question: What happens when you play this with Throne Room or Golem?

Good question.  Logically, I would say it fails to play the second time.  IDK how that translates to the actual rules of confusing situations in Dominion though.  What I had in mind was it's the end of your turn, period.  Anything still resolving gets ended.  I'll try to think of an elegant wording to portray this, unless someone has a good suggestion that makes sense.

You could do MTG style reminder text spelling out exactly what "end the turn" means, or include such as a card FAQ. Alternatively, you could say, "For the rest of this turn, you cannot buy, gain, trash, or play cards." This effectively emds the turn by removing just about all game actions that could be taken, except for spending coffers/villagers and paying off debt.
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

Chappy7

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +559
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2021, 12:51:04 pm »
+1

Great for early gaining of golds or $5 cards.  Terrible for engines later on.  Can't tell if this is way too good or terrible, so I'm hoping that means it's just right.

Reminds me of a much more complex card I have. I really like Heist's simplicity, but I don't think it can really get away with "End your turn." It just creates too many rules questions. Many people will think you still do your Clean-up phase, and some will realize you don't.

"Gain a card costing up to $6. End your Action Phase.  Skip to your Cleanup Phase."
Does that sound too stupid? At this point, is the "end" even necessary? It's basically just there to clarify that you're done playing action cards now. I may have to scrap this idea.

emtzalex

• Duke
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2021, 01:35:07 pm »
+1

Reminds me of a much more complex card I have. I really like Heist's simplicity, but I don't think it can really get away with "End your turn." It just creates too many rules questions. Many people will think you still do your Clean-up phase, and some will realize you don't.

"Gain a card costing up to $6. End your Action Phase.  Skip to your Cleanup Phase."
Does that sound too stupid? At this point, is the "end" even necessary? It's basically just there to clarify that you're done playing action cards now. I may have to scrap this idea.

What about "Gain a card costing up to $6. End your turn (by skipping immediately to Clean-up)."

he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2021, 02:45:56 pm »
+3

FWIW, when Magic decided to print a card with "End the turn" on it, they had to add a whole new rules section to the comprehensive rules to describe the 6-step process that happens when you end the turn.

I wonder if you can just get away with "You cannot play any more cards or buy any cards or events this turn".
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Freddy10

• Navigator
  • Respect: +113
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2021, 03:14:12 pm »

What about "Gain a card costing up to $6. End your turn (by skipping immediately to Clean-up)."
Isn't clean-up part of your turn? "End your turn" means that you neither discard your cards in play or in your hand nor draw 5 cards
Who trashes the trashers?

emtzalex

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2021, 04:23:49 pm »
+1

Isn't clean-up part of your turn? "End your turn" means that you neither discard your cards in play or in your hand nor draw 5 cards

I think it's a question of semantics. Every turn of Dominion ever played as ended with Clean-up (excluding some variant or fan card someone might have come up with). So how does one end a Dominion turn? By going through Clean-up. The parenthetical confirms that this is what it means.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Chappy7

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +559
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2021, 05:37:44 pm »
+1

FWIW, when Magic decided to print a card with "End the turn" on it, they had to add a whole new rules section to the comprehensive rules to describe the 6-step process that happens when you end the turn.

I wonder if you can just get away with "You cannot play any more cards or buy any cards or events this turn".

That would work and it would be a fun card, but it wouldn't fit this contest anymore.  Thanks for the suggestion though

mxdata

• Jester
  • Respect: +843
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2021, 03:15:04 am »
+2

Second Chance
Project
$5
At the end of your Action phase, you may place put a card from your hand onto your deck.

Most of the time, you'd probably use this to topdeck an Action card that you were unable to play. One particularly good use would be with Ghost, to choose an Action card from your hand for Ghost to hit. You could also choose to topdeck Tunnel if you have something like Venture or Ghost in hand. It would also work nicely with Moat in a kingdom with attack cards, to keep the Moat moving from one hand to the next

I'm not sure of the price. Is $5 a good price? Should it be less?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 04:22:36 am by mxdata »
They/them

Shael

• Thief
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2021, 11:47:35 am »
+3

Second Chance
Project
$5
At the end of your Action phase, you may place a card from your hand onto your deck.

Most of the time, you'd probably use this to topdeck an Action card that you were unable to play. One particularly good use would be with Ghost, to choose an Action card from your hand for Ghost to hit. You could also choose to topdeck Tunnel if you have something like Venture or Ghost in hand. It would also work nicely with Moat in a kingdom with attack cards, to keep the Moat moving from one hand to the next

Maybe I'm wrong but I think it should say "you may put a card...". 5$ seem fine to me but I hope it won't become an auto-buy. If it cost have ot change I think it will be raised.

Anyway, this is my submition

Street Vendor is a cantrip that potentialy let you buy the card you'll draw with a sort of "royal seal" effect for the turn.
It combo with DtX and gainer.
Hope you'll like it.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 11:49:54 am by Shael »
¤ Post here your favorite fan-cards ¤ The Archive ¤ Witchcraft, a Potion & Exile themed Expansion ¤ Not so Soon ¤                                          

emtzalex

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2021, 12:02:40 pm »

Second Chance
Project
$5
At the end of your Action phase, you may place a card from your hand onto your deck.

Maybe I'm wrong but I think it should say "you may put a card...". 5$ seem fine to me but I hope it won't become an auto-buy. If it cost have ot change I think it will be raised.

I think you are correct. City Gate uses that exact mechanic, and say "put a card from your hand onto your deck."

Street Vendor is a cantrip that potentialy let you buy the card you'll draw with a sort of "royal seal" effect for the turn.
Hope you'll like it.

Should this be a Duration card? While it will be rare for it to be played during your Buy phase  (or on another player's turn or during Clean-up), it is possible, in which case this card would only do its thing on your next turn (and, like Tactician or Barge, when it has nothing to do on future turns it would discard regularly).

I'm honestly not certain, as there aren't any official cards I can think of when being played on a future turn is an unusual circumstance that relies on the operation of other cards.
he/him/his

mxdata

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2021, 12:11:41 pm »

Second Chance
Project
$5

I think you are correct. City Gate uses that exact mechanic, and say "put a card from your hand onto your deck."

Yes, I made a mistake in the wording

Hope you'll like it.

Should this be a Duration card? While it will be rare for it to be played during your Buy phase  (or on another player's turn or during Clean-up), it is possible, in which case this card would only do its thing on your next turn (and, like Tactician or Barge, when it has nothing to do on future turns it would discard regularly).

I'm honestly not certain, as there aren't any official cards I can think of when being played on a future turn is an unusual circumstance that relies on the operation of other cards.

I think it's fine. The card states "at the end of your next buy phase this turn". If you play it when there's no further buy phases, or on someone else's turn, then that part would simply have no effect
They/them

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1489
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2021, 12:33:30 pm »
+2

I love the implementation of “back to action phase” on Street Vendor but it seems like it has the potential to be too strong in games with abundant draw and buys because it’s a reusable effect on a card with +1 card, +1 action, unlike Villa and Cavalry which are on gain and which can gave downsides to getting too many of. Furthermore, if you play a single Street Vendor you can get the “on gain” effect just by buying more Street Vendors and putting them on top.

xyz123

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +307
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2021, 02:46:16 pm »
+3

Finale
$10 - Event

If there are two empty supply piles, end the game after this turn.

Notes
- Any extra turns from Outpost, Mission, Seize the Day or Fleet can still be played after this.

An event that adds an extra end game condition. Pricing this I think is difficult as it changes the dynamics of it.
I don't think a generic end game event would work because somebody early in the game could spike a big hand whilst holding a small lead. The two empty piles clause prevents this and potentially adds something to the game.
This impacts the game even if it isn't bought. In a close game, players would need to evaluate the additional end game condition both for themself and their opponent when planning their turns.

emtzalex

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2021, 03:11:17 pm »

Hope you'll like it.

I think it's fine. The card states "at the end of your next buy phase this turn". If you play it when there's no further buy phases, or on someone else's turn, then that part would simply have no effect

You're 100% right. I totally misread the card, and missed that it said "this turn" in that sentence.
he/him/his

Gubump

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1039
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2021, 07:04:38 pm »
+3

« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 09:00:52 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2021, 02:19:06 am »
+6

Judgement Day
$15 - Event
End the game immediately.

Clarification: The player who played Judgement Day will skip his Cleanup phase. This is significant e.g. if he has built Fleet, as he will not draw 5 cards before the Fleet turn.

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +277
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2021, 01:02:40 pm »

Second Chance
Project
$5
At the end of your Action phase, you may place put a card from your hand onto your deck.

I think it could be cheaper.  When used on an Action card, it's essentially a Way of the Frog that can only be used once per turn (except when there's treasures or night cards that draw or otherwise care for the top of your deck).

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2021, 02:13:24 pm »

Hope you'll like it.
All the official "return to Action phase" cards give +1 Buy. In absence of +Buys in the kingdom, which is not uncommon, this only allows to play one of the bought cards for effects, similar to Invention.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +4286
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2021, 03:12:41 pm »
+2

24 hours warning!

If you want to change your entry, please make that clear in the original post. I currently have the following entries, let me know if yours is missing:

Pin by spineflu
Spelunker by X-Tra
Compound by mandioca15
Squirrel Park by JW
Scarecrow by 4est
Midnight Emissary by emtzalex
Port of Call by Doom_Shark
Banshee by AJL828
Heist by Chappy7
Pawnbroker by Aquila
Second Change by mxdata
Street Vendor by Shael
Finale by xyz123
Meditate by Gubump
Judgement Day by grep

I cannot promise to get the judging done before the end of the week though.
The quiet comprehending of the ending of it all

MochaMoko

• Scout
  • Shuffle iT Username: MochaMoko
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2021, 02:13:56 am »
+4

Quote from: MochaMoko
Pot of Gold
④ Action
+1 Buy
+③

At the end of your Buy
phase, if you have any
Buys left, gain a Curse.
If you did, gain a Gold.

Fancy coins from your neighborhood Leprechaun! If you want to take some Gold for yourself, he'll have something to say about it. Is it worth it? Well, that's up to you to decide -- Try not to have too many extra Buys laying around if you want to opt out!

The Alchemist

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +190
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2021, 05:56:56 pm »

Sorry last minute submission:

Was originally +3 cards and allowed self-chaining in order to deter this + big money, but that was pretty clearly too monolithic even as part of an engine. +5 cards also made this too good with big money, so now it's just +4 cards.

The Alchemist

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +190
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2021, 06:01:47 pm »
+1

That would work and it would be a fun card, but it wouldn't fit this contest anymore.  Thanks for the suggestion though

You could do "End your Action and Buy phase." And that gets the point across. I think just "End your turn" is confusing as you see here, different people are unsure as to whether ending your turn includes or precludes your Clean-up phase (which is definitely part of your turn). Better to just avoid all ambiguity.

majiponi

• Minion
  • Respect: +593
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2021, 10:41:24 pm »
+1

Helper Knight
cost $3 - Project
When you end your turn without having played an Action card, +1 Card.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +4286
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2021, 02:44:25 am »
+1

Submissions closed!

The last two were already past the deadline, but I'll be nice and take them into consideration.
The quiet comprehending of the ending of it all

mxdata

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2021, 03:08:49 am »

You could do "End your Action and Buy phase." And that gets the point across. I think just "End your turn" is confusing as you see here, different people are unsure as to whether ending your turn includes or precludes your Clean-up phase (which is definitely part of your turn). Better to just avoid all ambiguity.

That phrasing would still leave Night phase open
They/them
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.