Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #121: All Things Come to an End  (Read 8164 times)

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
Weekly Design Contest #121: All Things Come to an End
« on: July 09, 2021, 02:37:13 pm »
+4

The challenge for the week is as follows:

Design a card-shaped object with the word "end" somewhere in its instructions.

I think this rule is fairly straightforward, but I'll offer some clarifications still:
  • "End" can have any grammatical function you desire; noun or verb is both fine.
  • "End" needs to be its own word in the text; "spend" does not qualify. That said, inflection is fine, so you may use "ends"
  • "End" does not need to appear in the on-play ability, below the line would be fine as well.
  • "End" needs to appear in the actual text body. Just designing a card that is called "Something end" is not enough.
    • that said... if you want to get really nitpicky: It is technically allowed to design two cards, one using "end" in its name, and the other referring to that card. But your design better have a good reason to be called that way if you wish to get a high ranking.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
Re: Weekly Design Contest #121: All Things Come to an End
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2021, 03:30:54 pm »
+6

Pin • Landmark
Setup: Secretly write down the total number of VP you think you will have in your deck at the end of the game.

When scoring, subtract the difference between the actual VP in your deck and your guess (greater minus lesser) from your total VP score.

Guess how close you'll be at the start of the game, lose points for how "off" you are at the end. Only cares about VP in your deck, not VP tokens.

(thematically i know this is closer to like, 501 darts or a called shot in billiards but uh idk, picture choosing a golf club and then overdriving the h*ck out of the ball)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 10:26:11 pm by spineflu »

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2021, 06:14:36 pm »
+5

It is a known rule that one shan't make cards that try to turn Curses into positive things. Imma do it anyway, heh.
Bottom text

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2021, 01:14:30 am »

Compound (Project, $5)

At the end of the game, take an extra turn per Estate you have.

exfret

• Thief
  • Respect: +112
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2021, 01:10:09 am »
+3

Compound (Project, $5)

Isn't this strictly better than an existing project?? Also, how do you tell how many estates you have? Are you supposed to look through your whole deck when the game is supposed to end?

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2021, 01:34:41 am »

Compound (Project, $5)

Isn't this strictly better than an existing project?? Also, how do you tell how many estates you have? Are you supposed to look through your whole deck when the game is supposed to end?

Yeah, it's like Fleet on steroids
They/them

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2021, 02:22:21 am »

I like this card quite a bit, note that a lot of Estates imply a crappier deck. But if your buying power suffices to get a Duchy in each post game turn, this is nonetheless 4VP for $2 which is too strong.

Not necessarily. If you have enough buys, you could easily just pick up a few Estates in the last few turns. Also, in a kingdom with Exiling, you can have those Estates without the junking
They/them

exfret

• Thief
  • Respect: +112
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2021, 05:33:57 am »

I like this card quite a bit, note that a lot of Estates imply a crappier deck. But if your buying power suffices to get a Duchy in each post game turn, this is nonetheless 4VP for $2 which is too strong.

Not necessarily. If you have enough buys, you could easily just pick up a few Estates in the last few turns. Also, in a kingdom with Exiling, you can have those Estates without the junking

Yes I 100% agree with this, which is also why I think this card-shaped-thing is broken. I think it might work better with a different trigger if you're trying to go for a fleet on steroids effect.

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2021, 12:11:00 pm »
+5

Squirrel Park
$4 - Action
+2 cards at the end of this turn.
You may discard a non-Victory card for +2 cards.

A Smithy variant that offers some reliability at the expense of draw now. It is great against junkers but bad against "discard down to" attacks. Possibly a bit strong relative to Smithy to cost $4, but it does not seem strong enough in its current incarnation to cost $5.

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2021, 10:53:50 pm »
+5

Here is my submission for this week. Scarecrow is a Cursing attack and area-control minigame that has its own mat for each player. When you play it, you have a choice of either cursing your opponents or permanently setting aside a Curse from your hand on your Scarecrow mat, which earns you a victory point at the end of every one of your turns where you have more Curses on it than anyone else (important: ties do NOT count for "most"). You have to weigh whether it's better to Curse your opponent for the junk and negative VP but also giving them more Curses to put on the mat, vs. thinning your own Curses and working toward maintaining control of the ongoing Scarecrow VP for yourself. The +Buy conveniently enables you to buy your own Curses to set aside if your opponents refuse to give you any.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 10:55:11 pm by 4est »

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2021, 11:15:46 pm »
+8

My Submission:

Quote from: Midnight Emissary
MIDNIGHT EMISSARY  $4
NIGHT - VICTORY
Exile a card from your hand and a card you have in play.

Worth 1VP per 3 differently named cards you have in Exile, if this is on your Exile mat at the end of the game (otherwise worth 0VP).

A moderately effective deck thinner, this card can Exile both an Estate and a Copper each time it's used (while still allowing you to play the latter), and when you are satisfied with the initial thinning, you can put it into Exile and pocket 1VP. Alternatively, you can leave it out for when you later start greening (or buy a second copy to get it back), but the longer you leave it during the late stages of the game, the more you risk not getting any of its Victory points.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2021, 12:36:21 am »
+1

Port of Call
Landmark
At the end of your action phase, if you have at least 2 unspent actions, take 2VP from here.

Setup: Put 6VP here per player.
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

AJL828

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJL828
  • Respect: +394
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2021, 09:12:57 am »
+1

Night ($4)
Banshee: For each differently named card you’ve gained this turn, +1 Card at the end of this turn.

This is gained to your hand (instead of your discard pile).

A night card that is able to increase your handsize every turn, but is more susceptible to handsize attacks as a drawback. It also gains to hand so you can make use of it during turns where you really kick it off and gain many cards (exs. Alliance, Populate). It counts differently named cards to avoid being too strong with Horse or Gold gainers.
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2021, 09:15:01 am »

Port of Call
Landmark
At the end of your action phase, if you have at least 2 unspent actions, take 2VP from here.

just a suggestion, since Villa exists and can always hit this: "at the end of your first action phase in a turn"

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2021, 01:00:13 pm »
+6

Great for early gaining of golds or $5 cards.  Terrible for engines later on.  Can't tell if this is way too good or terrible, so I'm hoping that means it's just right.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2021, 02:12:24 pm »
+1

Great for early gaining of golds or $5 cards.  Terrible for engines later on.  Can't tell if this is way too good or terrible, so I'm hoping that means it's just right.
Clarification question: What happens when you play this with Throne Room or Golem?
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2021, 02:23:52 pm »

Yes I 100% agree with this, which is also why I think this card-shaped-thing is broken. I think it might work better with a different trigger if you're trying to go for a fleet on steroids effect.

Would something like this work better?

Compound (Project, $6)

At the end of your Buy phase, if you have at least $3 unspent, add a token here.

At the end of the game, take an extra turn per token you have here.

Chappy7

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2021, 03:46:50 pm »
+2

Clarification question: What happens when you play this with Throne Room or Golem?

Good question.  Logically, I would say it fails to play the second time.  IDK how that translates to the actual rules of confusing situations in Dominion though.  What I had in mind was it's the end of your turn, period.  Anything still resolving gets ended.  I'll try to think of an elegant wording to portray this, unless someone has a good suggestion that makes sense.

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2021, 04:09:29 pm »
+1

Flexible multi-purpose thing. Amongst its functions is increasing hand size next turn for a stronger vault effect.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2021, 04:41:37 pm »

you could probably change it to "it is now your Clean-Up phase", which'd still allow you to keep playing the card and also still short-circuits the villa/cavalry effect.

Chappy7

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2021, 05:40:48 pm »

you could probably change it to "it is now your Clean-Up phase", which'd still allow you to keep playing the card and also still short-circuits the villa/cavalry effect.

What would that mean for the Throne Room interaction? Could you play it a second time if it's your clean-up phase?

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2021, 06:01:16 pm »

What would that mean for the Throne Room interaction? Could you play it a second time if it's your clean-up phase?
yes, i believe so. it would for sure allow you to discard the cards you played during your turn, in any event, rather than having to discard them during the next opponent's clean up phase.
You could also short circuit additional plays by putting in crossroads style "the first time you play this" wording

Also not to get all

but how's this interact with possession?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 07:57:30 pm by spineflu »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2021, 10:45:11 am »
+2

Reminds me of a much more complex card I have. I really like Heist's simplicity, but I don't think it can really get away with "End your turn." It just creates too many rules questions. Many people will think you still do your Clean-up phase, and some will realize you don't.

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2021, 12:25:29 pm »
+3

Port of Call
Landmark

just a suggestion, since Villa exists and can always hit this: "at the end of your first action phase in a turn"

I see your suggestion, and I considered similar wording; however, I decided that stopping the occasional easy vp from Villa or Cavalry shenanigans wasn't worth the extra words that would only matter with two cards out of several hundred.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 12:56:53 am by Doom_Shark »
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2021, 12:32:21 pm »

Good question.  Logically, I would say it fails to play the second time.  IDK how that translates to the actual rules of confusing situations in Dominion though.  What I had in mind was it's the end of your turn, period.  Anything still resolving gets ended.  I'll try to think of an elegant wording to portray this, unless someone has a good suggestion that makes sense.

You could do MTG style reminder text spelling out exactly what "end the turn" means, or include such as a card FAQ. Alternatively, you could say, "For the rest of this turn, you cannot buy, gain, trash, or play cards." This effectively emds the turn by removing just about all game actions that could be taken, except for spending coffers/villagers and paying off debt.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.906 seconds with 21 queries.