Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest 120: The Turn After Next  (Read 12000 times)

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
Weekly Design Contest 120: The Turn After Next
« on: July 03, 2021, 12:19:47 am »
+5

Design a duration card that has more than a two-turn effect, but that doesn't just stay in play.

Canon examples are Crypt and Archive.
By two-turn effect, I mean avoid the typical duration "now and at the start of your next turn" - at the end of the second turn, it should still be in play and cued up to do a thing.
By "doesn't just stay in play", I mean the Hireling/Champion style "This stays in play." is no-go. If you want to have like a "pay to keep this around" type mechanic, that's fine, but please review how durations do things and word your card appropriately to avoid "bonfire my hireling for invisible hireling effect" situations.

No preference on action/night/treasure; please avoid new fan mechanics, but if you can point to an old post that has the fan mechanic, I'll do my best to wrap my head around it.
And no split piles / unique piles / traveller lines. One card to a kingdom pile.

Judging will be promptly on 7/9 (friday); the 24 hour notice will go up on 7/8 (thurs). As always, ask questions if you have them, i'll do my best to respond in a timely manner. I'll +1 your entry when I've added it to my spreadsheet - when the 24 hour notice goes up, if i haven't +1'd your entry, post about it.

EDIT/general announcement:
For those not as perpetually reading the wiki as the rest of us: there is no rule saying that Durations just stop working if they leave play, you need special wording for that.
A common mistake I've seen in fan cards is creators assuming that Duration cards that make themselves leave play stop their effect once they leave play. This is not true; you can Bonfire a Hireling and still get +1 Card every turn even though that Hireling is no longer in play.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 10:13:55 pm by spineflu »

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest 120: The Turn After Next
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2021, 12:46:54 am »
+4

Pack Mule (Action-Duration, $5)

While this is in play, at the start of your turn, +1 Card.
———
At the start of Cleanup for your turns, you may pay $1 or discard an Action card from your hand. If you did not, discard this from play.

A Hireling variant that requires payment if you want to keep it around.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2021, 12:57:51 am »
+3

And no split piles / unique piles / traveller lines. One card to a kingdom pile.

Are existing non-Supply piles such as Horses or Spoils (or even Supply piles like Ruins) allowed?

Assuming Ruins are allowed:

Saves the trashing for the end of turn for tracking purposes.
Retracting the above because it drains the Ruins too quickly in 2P.

P.S. I had this exact challenge in my list of potential contest ideas.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 01:15:49 am by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2021, 01:13:03 am »
+2

Would something that stays in play until some other defined event qualify?  For example, suppose you had a variant of Treasury that, instead of top-decking itself when you don't buy a Victory card, simply stayed in play giving +$1 at the start of each turn, until you buy a Victory card. It wouldn't be a permanent duration, but it would frequently be more than two turns. And given that you're including Crypt as qualifying, it doesn't appear that it has to be a defined number of turns
They/them

exfret

• Thief
  • Respect: +112
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2021, 01:14:22 am »
+1

Design a duration card that has more than a two-turn effect, but that doesn't just stay in play.

By two-turn effect, I mean avoid the typical duration "now and at the start of your next turn" - at the end of the second turn, it should still be in play and cued up to do a thing.
By "doesn't just stay in play", I mean the Hireling/Champion style "This stays in play." is no-go; If you want to have like a "pay to keep this around" type mechanic, that's fine, but please review how durations do things and word your card appropriately to avoid "bonfire my hireling for invisible hireling effect" situations.

No preference on action/night/treasure; please avoid new fan mechanics, but if you can point to an old post that has the fan mechanic, I'll do my best to wrap my head around it.

Judging will be promptly on 7/9 (friday); the 24 hour notice will go up on 7/8 (thurs). As always, ask questions if you have them, i'll do my best to respond in a timely manner.

Wait, can you actually do that with Hireling??

exfret

• Thief
  • Respect: +112
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2021, 01:16:35 am »
+1

Are existing non-Supply piles such as Horses or Spoils (or even Supply piles like Ruins) allowed?

Doesn't this just burn through the ruins really quickly? Seems like you could only play it thrice or so. Also, scrap is almost strictly better because, while you can't get an effect more than once, you can choose your effects and you get them all at once and on the turn you play it.

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2021, 01:17:07 am »
+3

By "doesn't just stay in play", I mean the Hireling/Champion style "This stays in play." is no-go; If you want to have like a "pay to keep this around" type mechanic, that's fine, but please review how durations do things and word your card appropriately to avoid "bonfire my hireling for invisible hireling effect" situations.

Judging will be promptly on 7/9 (friday); the 24 hour notice will go up on 7/8 (thurs). As always, ask questions if you have them, i'll do my best to respond in a timely manner.

Yep.  Since it doesn't say "While this is in play ...", the effect continues even if it's trashed.  That also applies with Procession + Hireling.  Hireling gets trashed, but you still get +2 Cards at the start of every turn
They/them

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2021, 01:18:59 am »

You could avoid the issue of draining Ruins by having it instead return the Ruins to their pile
They/them

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2021, 01:22:21 am »
+1

You could avoid the issue of draining Ruins by having it instead return the Ruins to their pile

I thought of that, but:
1. It's a super weak card anyway, especially with what exfret pointed out, and
2. They'd have to be returned to the bottom or something, because I don't want players to just keep getting the same set of Ruins over and over. Which I could do, but again, point #1.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 01:23:52 am by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2021, 06:23:51 am »

Yep.  Since it doesn't say "While this is in play ...", the effect continues even if it's trashed.  That also applies with Procession + Hireling.  Hireling gets trashed, but you still get +2 Cards at the start of every turn

well, used to - procession is only for non-durations as of the 2019 errata

but yeah, @exfret, thats how trashing in-play durations goes.

yeah ruins/horses/spoils/something that uses the prize pile/other existing nonsupply piles are kosher.
personally i grabbed it from NoMoreFun's post in the WDC ideas thread but tweaked it to avoid the forever cards.

Would something that stays in play until some other defined event qualify?  For example, suppose you had a variant of Treasury that, instead of top-decking itself when you don't buy a Victory card, simply stayed in play giving +$1 at the start of each turn, until you buy a Victory card. It wouldn't be a permanent duration, but it would frequently be more than two turns. And given that you're including Crypt as qualifying, it doesn't appear that it has to be a defined number of turns

yes, this is fine. likewise kudasai's wonder (from uh..... top of my head, contest 38? thats probably wrong. contest 39) which stays in play until you shuffle also qualifies - feel free to get creative with it.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 03:15:05 pm by spineflu »

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2021, 09:09:31 am »
+10

Here's my submission this week. Artisan and Archive had a baby, and he sure likes to make stuff.

Craftsman is an expensive and powerful gainer than can gain three differently named cards costing less than it (differently named prevents it from running piles too quickly) and then slowly doles them out on each of your next three turns. Three $5 gains off of one play is quite strong, but hopefully you're not in too much of a rush, Craftsman is a slow burn gainer (he gets you a lot of things but he's making them all by hand so it will take awhile). On the Duration turns, you can decide what to take based on what will help you most for your current hand and what you think might come later, sort of like Cobbler, but three turns is a long time from now to plan ahead. After four turns (the turn you play it and then three more), this discards from play and you can play it again next turn for three more gains. In the late game, make Duchy one of your three cards, Craftsman can maybe hold it for you until the game ends.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 03:35:55 pm by 4est »

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2021, 11:03:50 am »
+4

Mine Digger
cost $4 - Action - Duration
Gain a Copper to your hand.
At the start of your next turn, gain a Silver to your hand.
At the start of your next turn after that, gain a Gold to your hand.

EDIT: rephrased

Mine Digger
cost $4 - Action - Duration
Gain a Copper, a Silver, a Gold, setting aside.
Now and at the start of your next two turns, put the cheapest into your hand.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 07:05:20 pm by majiponi »

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2021, 04:40:42 pm »
+1

well, used to - procession is only for non-durations as of the 2019 errata

but yeah, @exfret, thats how trashing in-play durations goes.

Ah, right, I forgot that Procession got errata
They/them

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2021, 05:05:09 pm »
+11

I believe that this counts. A Duration effect that stays in play as long as you want it to, until you decide to pull the plug:

Bottom text

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2021, 06:51:15 pm »
+1

I believe that this counts. A Duration effect that stays in play as long as you want it to, until you decide to pull the plug:

Yep, that counts.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2021, 12:40:14 am »
+1

This came up on the discord, kinda: you may want to have multiple effects and need a way to keep track of them; please feel free to assume coin tokens will be present to track things and do something like this:

You also don't have to do icons if you don't want to, just do art like

and have the text read like
Now and at the start of your next 3 turns, choose one you haven't picked yet: (A) +2 Cards; or (B) +$2; or (C) Trash 2 Cards from your hand; or (D) Gain a Copper to the top of your deck

or similar.

Clearly, a "final" version of the art would take these into effect and be all graceful with it and whatever (like how the duke is in the portrait of the minion, or how the candlestick maker is making masterpieces), but these are prototypes and "quick and dirty" is a fine state for them to be in.

This is all just a suggestion, but seemed to be enough of a stumbling block to warrant me posting this.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 12:44:23 am by spineflu »

AJL828

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJL828
  • Respect: +394
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2021, 08:05:25 pm »
+3

Refinery
Night - Duration ($6)
At the start of each of your Night phases that this remains in play, you may trash a card from your hand to gain a card costing up to $1 per different card type (Action, Attack, etc.) you have in play. If you don't, discard this from play.
(Thanks to Gubump for the updated wording :) )

My first ever Night card! I hope you like it!

The two cards of comparison I thought about while coming up with this are Horn of Plenty and Cobbler. The former can gain you higher cost cards a little more easily, but needs to be cycled to each turn to do so. The latter can only gain one card every other turn, but can always gain up to $4 regardless of how your turn went and gains the card to your hand next turn. Plus, they both cost $5.

It’ll (basically) always be able to gain $4s (Action, Treasure, and the two types on Refinery itself), and frequently be able to gain $5s and $6s. It’ll be able to gain Provinces on some boards, but with the trashing requirement I think that’s alright.

This is priced at $6 partially to not have lucky 5/2 opening splits, and partially because this seems extremely strong at $5 to me.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 10:56:18 am by AJL828 »
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2021, 09:06:58 pm »
+2

Confessional - $4
Night - Duration
Now and at the start of your next 2 turns, you may trash a card from your hand. If you trash an...
Action card, +2 Cards, +1 Villager.
Treasure card, +1 Buy, +1 Coffers.
Victory card, +1VP, gain a Horse.

A duration form of Sacrifice. The Treasure and Victory trashing rewards are weaker as they are the most common targets for trashing and the effect is non-terminal. I figured the reward for trashing an Action should still be pretty good. I think a cost of $4 may be right, but open to feedback.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 09:53:56 pm by Xen3k »

mathdude

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2021, 10:21:11 pm »

Refinery
Night - Duration ($6)
While this is in play, you may trash a card from your hand at the start of your Night Phase. If you do, gain a card costing up to $1 per different card type (Action, Attack, etc) you have in play. If you don’t, discard this from play.

The two cards of comparison I thought about while coming up with this are Horn of Plenty and Cobbler. The former can gain you higher cost cards a little more easily, but needs to be cycled to each turn to do so. The latter can only gain one card every other turn, but can always gain up to $4 regardless of how your turn went and gains the card to your hand next turn. Plus, they both cost $5.

It’ll (basically) always be able to gain $4s (Action, Treasure, and the two types on Refinery itself), and frequently be able to gain $5s and $6s. It’ll be able to gain Provinces on some boards, but with the trashing requirement I think that’s alright.

This is priced at $6 partially to not have lucky 5/2 opening splits, and partially because this seem extremely strong at $5 to me.

I think this would be fine at $5. The gaining is conditional on trashing. And until the latter part of the game, unless you have a curse or estate in hand, you will harm your turn in order to keep this in play and gain a card (keep an Action or even a copper in hand to trash, which reduces your buying power).
he/him

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2021, 10:24:43 pm »
+5

My Submission:

Quote from: Werebear
ROYAL BARGE  $5
ACTION - DURATION
Set aside any number of Action cards from your hand, face down (under this). While any remain, at the start of each of your turns, play one of them twice.

A version of this card was the runner-up for my submission in last weeks contest (that one was also a Victory card to meet the three type requirement, and the below-the-line text made it too long). I actually like the regular Duration better. This is a Throne Room variant, to the tune of Crypt (and with a little bit of Way of the Turtle). It sets aside the Action cards you have in your hand, Throning one each subsequent turn until they run out.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Unjer

• Pawn
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2021, 01:10:46 am »

Summoning Circle
Action - Duration ($2)
At the start of your next 2 turns, set aside a card from your hand (on this). At the start of your next turn after that, trash them and this, and gain a Curse and a card costing up to $6.

Summoning Circle is a slow one shot take on a remodeler as well as being similar to Cathedral. It takes two cards in your deck and turns them into a powerful card and a Curse.

Note that many other cards that stay out for N turns have major tracking issues. The problem is that it is easy to forget how many turns it has been, especially when playing multiple copies. In Summoning Circle's case, turns are kept track of with the number of set aside cards. Tracking issues only occur when you miraculously start your turn with no cards in hand. Throne Room variants also work seamlessly with Summoning Circle even though it trashes itself. Other cards that discard themselves from play or use the text "while this is in play" have issues with stranding Throne Room in some edge cases.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2021, 01:42:07 pm »

Refinery
Night - Duration ($6)
While this is in play, you may trash a card from your hand at the start of your Night Phase. If you do, gain a card costing up to $1 per different card type (Action, Attack, etc) you have in play. If you don’t, discard this from play.

This is priced at $6 partially to not have lucky 5/2 opening splits, and partially because this seem extremely strong at $5 to me.

clarification question: You have two refineries in play. You trash one card at the start of your night phase - does that cover both of them?

AJL828

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJL828
  • Respect: +394
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2021, 01:53:42 pm »
+1

Refinery
Night - Duration ($6)

clarification question: You have two refineries in play. You trash one card at the start of your night phase - does that cover both of them?

No, the idea was to trash one card per Refinery you have out if you want to keep them all in play. I see how that’s confusing with the current wording but I don’t know how to adjust it to reflect that...
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2021, 02:03:49 pm »

Refinery
Night - Duration ($6)

No, the idea was to trash one card per Refinery you have out if you want to keep them all in play. I see how that’s confusing with the current wording but I don’t know how to adjust it to reflect that...
That's fine, it can be an "in the FAQ" ruling, no need to adjust if you can't think of a better phrasing.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2021, 02:42:12 pm »
+1

Refinery
Night - Duration ($6)

My suggested wording: "At the start of each of your Night phases that this remains in play, you may trash a card from your hand to gain a card costing up to per different card type (Action, Attack, etc.) you have in play. If you don't, discard this from play."
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 02:43:22 pm by Gubump »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.